Rams' Joyner making progress going into Year 2/Latsch

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams' Joyner making progress going into Year 2
By Nate Latsch

http://www.scout.com/nfl/rams/story/1554589-rams-joyner-making-progress-going-into-year-2

ST. LOUIS — Rams cornerback Lamarcus Joyner described his rookie season as a “humbling experience” after the team’s OTA session on Thursday.
“Definitely a humbling experience for me, both on the field, off the field — there’s just a lot of things that come with this league,” he said.

The Rams’ second-round pick (No. 41 overall) in 2014 out of Florida State, the diminutive defensive back failed to make much of an impact for the team during his debut season.

Drafted to man the nickel cornerback position in Gregg Williams’ aggressive defense, Joyner finished with 48 tackles, three passes defensed, one sack and one quarterback pressure in 10 games.

Joyner struggled early on, came on after a slow start but was then sidelined by an injury. He returned for the final two games.

What was the hardest part about his rookie campaign?

“Just adapting. Just learning the system. Just coming from a successful year at the college level and you think you know everything and you’re just on the wrong path, you need to get adjusted,” Joyner said. “Coach (Gregg) Williams was a great example of molding me out of that and molding me into the young man I am now.”

What the 5-foot-8, 184-pound defensive back is now is a player who is far more aware of what he is doing in the Rams’ defensive scheme, a player fighting for snaps among the team’s cornerbacks and a player who has earned some praise for his play so far during OTAs.

“I feel like my approach is different and that’s probably coming from the more understanding I have, the more wisdom I have and just knowing what I’m doing,” Joyner said. “Instead of running out there like a blind dog in a meat house and you don’t know which way to go, I know what I’m doing, so now I can pretty much contribute to the defense.”

How much different does Joyner feel now within the defense than he was a year ago as a rookie second-round pick? Joyner said the coaches have used the words “light years” to describe the difference.

“I feel great, I feel like I’m settled in, I’m there mentally, which is the most important part at this level,” Joyner said. “I’m already blessed with the God-given physical ability, so I’m pretty caught up.”

Joyner said he is now at the point where is able to react to what is unfolding instead of having to think about what he should do.

He’s come a long way over the past year, a period of time with plenty of ups and downs for the second-round pick who helped Florida State win a national championship in his final season with the Seminoles.

Joyner took some time after his rookie season to reflect and refocus.

“I definitely got away and had to refocus and ask myself what it is about this game that makes me want to come to work every day and I came to the realization that I still love football,” he said. “That kind of helped me spark up a new light inside my heart.”

Now Joyner knows that the struggles of his rookie campaign have helped him get to where he is now and preparing him for what’s to come.

“It was very difficult,” Joyner said. “But I never lost hope, my spirit was never broken. I always had trust in the Lord. That’s what brought me here. I just felt like I needed that. Everything happens for a reason. Obviously I wouldn’t be a step ahead the way I am today if that wouldn’t have happened. I wholeheartedly believe that.”

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
I hope this is an article about our 2015 starting FS. I really do.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I had a ' gut feeling ' last year that he hadn't even got started showing what he's capable of yet!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Wow he still seems lost ?? Really !! Last year when he came in he said all the right things.Now he seems totally lost.
Joyner did play well his last game,& after said the light finally came on.I personally think he is a touch small & a step to slow.He always plays hard.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wow he still seems lost ?? Really !! Last year when he came in he said all the right things.Now he seems totally lost.
Joyner did play well his last game,& after said the light finally came on.I personally think he is a touch small & a step to slow.He always plays hard.

I'm pretty sure he said he knows what's what now.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
It's just the whole interview.He seems lost still.At least he didn't retire,but it's in Gods hands.If you ask Greg Williams I guess that would mean him.I gave faith in both of them.I like the way JJ has stepped up.If you asked Jim T. From the off season about Janiors he is like,that is one player The Rams won't resign.Fisher has said JJ played better than you think,& was a honorable mention Pro bowler by players.
Joyner was on the field a lot last year early.QB's usually found the players he was guarding on 3rd dwns it seemed.He is a high energy player which I really like,& he just missed on a couple blitzes.Maybe it is if he just trust where he is suppose to sit in the zone vs trailing the player coming into the zone he might get a lot of picks ??

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
He's my pick for the break out player of the year on our D.

Of course,,, my Nole Fandom has nothing to do with that prediction. :whistle:

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I would move Tru to FS and go with Gaines and Jenkins with Joyner in the slot coverage.

jap

Legend
I would prefer that he bulks up a tad to optimize his strength/mass without compromising his speed/quickness. The way he hits he could use the extra mass/strength to both protect himself and deliver harder collisions.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
This is a forgotten guy to me. He was pretty much invisible last year. If he can make any kind of impact this year, our D gets stouter at one of it's weak spots. Raise the shield D!!!!!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
He's my pick for the break out player of the year on our D.

Of course,,, my Nole Fandom has nothing to do with that prediction. :whistle:

This is a forgotten guy to me. He was pretty much invisible last year. If he can make any kind of impact this year, our D gets stouter at one of it's weak spots. Raise the shield D!!!!!

Getting Joyner back, and playing well, is like adding another player to the roster we didn't have last year.

This guy is going to be special.

He's not the same player as London Fletcher, but he has the same DNA; football player

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack

Yeah, but every time you do notice him, it's because he put a massive hit on someone. Pretty awesome considering how little he is. Hope he pans out.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I think the theme that is developing is, all the 5'8 and under guys look real good during OTA's....Shirts & shorts warriors...
I hope he turns it up...but our recent 2nd round picks...all make me nervous until I see something...

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I would move Tru to FS and go with Gaines and Jenkins with Joyner in the slot coverage.

I had posted early this yr on Trumaine Johnson getting some deep safety action in 2015 but since then have grown cool on that thought. Reasons that caused me to rethink has mainly to do with the four below:

#1- Overall very good 2014 season of FS Rod McLeod late last season. On field performance & taking the leadership in the secondary up.
#2-Ram Org. action where they signed Rod to a 1 year, $2,356,000 contract sizable increase very close to what Mark Barron 2015 cost.
#3- In 2014 Fisher lost 5 of his 6 CB's to injuries for periods of time...several games he was forced to start rookies @ his corner posts.
#4-The still on going unhealthiness of Fishers 4th CB Brandon McGee.

Currently Fisher has Rod & Cody who are still young & learning. The last two seasons Rod has started every game.Cody has been Rod's only back up & also has played in 27 games. Both of them are more athletic & faster than Tru. Cody & Tru are clones in size but Cody is dramatically faster & quicker than Tru.

Bottom line here is Tru will be a UFA when this season ends & more than likely looking for a new big contract....in order to get that his best NFL position is @ CB. Me thinks he will be our main back up to starting corners Gaines & Jenkins on the outside. Joyner will remain the starting Nickle. Roberson will move up & take the 4th CB spot from McGee.

Last edited:

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
I think Joyner is going to be a playmaker in the slot or at safety. .....I think his struggle was that of most rookie players.....but I expect big things from him this year.

Go Rams......... ;)

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I think the theme that is developing is, all the 5'8 and under guys look real good during OTA's....Shirts & shorts warriors...
I hope he turns it up...but our recent 2nd round picks...all make me nervous until I see something...
I get that. I was that size guy and get me in space and forget it. You were not going to corral me less than 40 yards down the field but put the pads on and I became very ordinary. But I think Joyner just went through a little NFL culture shock. He has the tenacity to excel in year two.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Personally, I think he would make a GREAT free safety. Earl Thomas/ Troy Palamealu (spell?) type. I really don't know why Fisher won't try him there. Maybe Fisher believes he will be a great cornerback (or slot guy). I also like Christian Bryant... the FS from Ohio State who was injured last year.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
Joyner is just too much of a football player to stay quiet. His IQ (football and otherwise) is too high. We saw where he was going last year before the injury, and there's no reason to think he's not going to progress this year.

My only concern for him is size, that little guys who are impact hitters tend not to last long in this league, tend to go down with injuries more than most. Heck, big guys who are impact hitters have that same problem, so it's just a matter of physics for Joyner.

But his style and hard hitting will endear him to fans. Including me.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Lamarcus Joyner says he's 'light years' ahead of last year
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...oyner-says-hes-light-years-ahead-of-last-year

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Lamarcus Joyner came to the St. Louis Rams with high expectations for himself in 2014.

As a rookie projected to help at nickel cornerback, Joyner had every intention of stepping in and contributing right away. He'd come to St. Louis as a second-round pick from national champion Florida State and figured the adjustment would be tough but not too tough to overcome. He was wrong.

"Definitely a humbling experience for me, both on the field, off the field, just a lot of things that come in this league," Joyner said. "Just adapting, learning the system. Coming from a successful year at the college level and you think you know everything and you just need to get adjusted."

Like most rookies, Joyner didn't know what he didn't know. He found himself pressing too hard to make things happen and often got caught out of position. He picked up six penalties in 10 games, including a costly pass interference in a narrow week 3 loss to Dallas.

After playing the nickel for eight of the first nine games, Joyner suffered a groin injury that kept him out for a few weeks. When he returned, E.J. Gaines had staked a claim to the nickel job and Joyner didn't play again until the final two weeks of the season and that only happened because Gaines suffered a concussion in Week 16.

All told, Joyner finished with 37 tackles, a sack, two pass breakups and a healthy dose of disappointment. So he entered this offseason in search of ways to eliminate mistakes and stake his claim to a more permanent role.

Apparently, Joyner's efforts have worked as he says coaches and teammates have taken notice of his improvement.

"I definitely feel good but two witnesses are better than one, you know what I’m saying?" Joyner said. "So it doesn’t matter what I think. It’s about the organization.

"From the words of the coaches, [it's] 'light years.' I feel good, I feel like I’m there mentally which is the most important part at this level. I’m already blessed with the God-given physical ability so I’m pretty caught up."

During organized team activities (OTAs), Joyner says he feels like he's been doing more reacting than thinking, the sign of a player who has a better handle on what he's doing within the confines of the scheme. He also find himself firmly back in the mix to win the team's nickel corner job.

"Wherever my coaches need me, I am to the point where I know a little more about the defense so nickel corner, safety, next man up is our philosophy," Joyner said.

Joyner doesn't appear to have any direct competition for that nickel corner role but that could shift if the Rams decide to bump Gaines inside with Trumaine Johnson handling outside duties when the defense goes to sub-packages. Either way, Joyner believes that so long as he performs, he'll be on the field.

"I feel like my approach is different," Joyner said. "That’s probably coming from the more understanding I have. The more wisdom I have and just knowing what I’m doing. Instead of running out there like a blind dog in a meat house not knowing which way to go, I know what I’m doing so now I can pretty much contribute to the defense."