Rams' Jenkins and the Finnegan effect

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Mike Sando
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/ ... gan-effect

A couple St. Louis Rams players got into a tiff during Jeff Fisher's first days as head coach.

How Fisher reacted became a defining moment for some.

"He brought the whole team up and was just like, 'Yo, the last couple years is over, this is a new deal right now, so let’s start fresh,' " receiver Danny Amendola explained early in training camp. "Because there is a lot of animosity built up for us as competitors just because we haven’t been winning games around here."

The reminder was welcome.

"That is when I bought into the kind of coach he is and what he’s about," Amendola said. "I really enjoyed when he did that. It gave the guys an opportunity to take a breath and take a step back and just play the game."

I'm guessing Fisher could smile, at least a little, when Amendola and rookie cornerback Janoris Jenkins scrapped at practice Tuesday (thank you, Jim Thomas, for the play-by-play-by-play). Jenkins has been one of the most impressive players at Rams camp, based on talent and how comfortable he appears. Seeing him battle with Amendola suggests Jenkins might have a little Cortland Finnegan in him. That would be fine by the Rams.

The Rams signed Finnegan from Tennessee, where Fisher coached previously, in part because they thought Finnegan's hard-nosed and combative on-field demeanor would rub off on other players. Finnegan plays with an edge, particularly relative to most other corners. Sometimes he's gone over the edge.

Jenkins' little scrape with Amendola might have happened with or without Finnegan on the roster. It's tough to know. Either way, we should expect the Rams' corners to play with greater confidence and aggressiveness in 2012.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Yep me too. I think that Finnegan is going to be perfect for him. Get that nastiness in him focused to the right places. On the field instead of off of it.