Rams interested in extending Long, Laurinaitis

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
nbc-sports.png

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... urinaitis/

The Rams haven’t drafted well — to be kind — since the Dick Vermeil years. They did hit on two defenders over the past few drafts, though, and Chris Long and James Laurinaitis are now entering contract seasons.

Rams V.P. of Football Operations Kevin Demoff stated in a recent NFL.com chat that the organization is “in the process of starting initial conversations” regarding long-term extensions for Long and Laurinaitis.

Per NFLPA records, Long is due a $10.31 million base salary in 2012. The defensive end hit rookie-contract escalators that spiked his salary, and the Rams could actually free up cap room by signing him long term. Long, 27, posted a career-high 13 sacks last season, and his sack totals have increased each year he’s been in the league.

Laurinaitis, 25, is only due $620,000 in base salary. A three-year starter at middle linebacker, Laurinaitis hasn’t missed a game yet in his career. He led the Rams with a career-most 142 tackles last year, and also recorded three sacks, two interceptions, and seven pass breakups.

Demoff’s comments suggest no deal is imminent with either player. But the Rams are clearly going to prioritize locking up their two young, core defenders this year.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Lock up Stewart as well; the guy's going to be a beast this year. You have no idea how much I want the Rams to extend all three of them.

Anonymous

Re: Talks with Long, Laurinaitis and more/Sando

The JL talks have been going on for almost a year. The Bradford adjustment was intended to assist the Rams with cash funding for the extension.

Long is a much more complex deal, for a number of reasons. For starters, the Charles Johnson contract is a bit of an issue.

zn said:
the Charles Johnson contract is a bit of an issue.

The Carolina Panthers' defensive end registered 40 tackles, nine sacks and one forced fumble in 2011, and received a $34 million salary for his efforts.

According to the ESPN The Magazine's "Money Issue," Johnson is the highest-paid athlete in the entire sport. He signed a six-year, $76 million deal before the 2011 season and also raked in an eye-popping $30 million signing bonus.

Agamemnon said:
Charles Johnson Defensive Lineman 7/29/2011: Signed a six-year, $76 million contract. The deal contains $32 million guaranteed, including a $30 million signing bonus. 2012: $4.75 million, 2013: $6.75 million, 2014: $8.75 million, 2015: $9.75 million, 2016: $10.75 million, 2017: Free Agent

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
My concern was when KD mentioned that Long's agent was difficult to deal with. Unless of course it is his dad and he was poking fun. Anyone know?

Anonymous

RamFan503 said:
My concern was when KD mentioned that Long's agent was difficult to deal with. Unless of course it is his dad and he was poking fun. Anyone know?

It's his dad. He was joking.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
zn said:
RamFan503 said:

It's his dad. He was joking.

Thanks man. I was hoping that was the case.