Rams Interested in Blalock

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I think a lot of people misrepresent how Fisher emphasizes offensive line. Long, Wells, and Joseph I believe were all former all pros who were signed as free agents. Didn't work out obviously, but you can't criticize Fisher for not trying to address the line. He's drafted Robinson in the first round, Jones and Watkins relatively early and resigned Saffold. Obviously the line still sucks, so he deserves criticism for his choices - I just don't think he deserves criticism for not emphasizing the importance of the line. I suspect they think Wisniewski, Blalock, and Barksdale are mediocre talent and would rather look at a trade or the draft if they won't accept a mediocre level contract. Hope something happens soon, but I'd rather they do it right instead of panicking and being stuck with a crap contract.
But you almost have to sign at least one of those guys don't you? We have 3 holes and little depth on our OL. You can't draft three starters this year. I don't believe it can be done.

FrankenRam

Starter
But you almost have to sign at least one of those guys don't you? We have 3 holes and little depth on our OL. You can't draft three starters this year. I don't believe it can be done.

IMO, they would be best served getting 2 vet OL, and hope that maybe BJones or Raney is finally ready to step into a starting role. In a perfect world, one might hope for all 3.

It doesn't necessarily have to be from the Group of 3 (Wiz, Blalock, JBarks). Those are just the 3 most likely candidates at this point in time. I would guess there will be others come available between now & the time training camp starts. Ideally, I think it would be best if at least one were signed prior to the draft.

There is also the possibility they could trade for at least one. Who that would be, or what it would cost, I ain't got a clue. But it is an avenue that doesn't get much discussion. I doubt it's a high probability because, with the exception of draft picks, it doesn't seem the Rams have much in the way of chips to play that game.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

IMO, they should sign two guys capable of starting at OG and RT so we aren't forced to start a rookie if he's not ready. But yes, I do think we have to sign one at minimum.

DrLurkalot

UDFA
Name
Don

Yeah. We definitely need a lot, and I agree three rookies would get Foles killed. I like all three of these guys - I just don't want them to overpay for them. None of them will ever be pro bowl level players, in my opinion, and I hope we don't overpay because we are desperate. Changing the topic a little - anyone know what happened to Chad Rinehart's skills? I live near Buffalo, so I see a lot of Bills games. Thought he was great in Buffalo. Surprised to see him rated so low. Might be a good minimum signing - but I haven't seen him play recently.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah. We definitely need a lot, and I agree three rookies would get Foles killed. I like all three of these guys - I just don't want them to overpay for them. None of them will ever be pro bowl level players, in my opinion, and I hope we don't overpay because we are desperate. Changing the topic a little - anyone know what happened to Chad Rinehart's skills? I live near Buffalo, so I see a lot of Bills games. Thought he was great in Buffalo. Surprised to see him rated so low. Might be a good minimum signing - but I haven't seen him play recently.

Was terrible last year in San Diego.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
What you say about TN largely makes sense......though what he walked into couldn't have lasted the duration of his tenure there. And yet, he still never took an OL in the first round, and only a handful in Rds 2-3. But that's picking nits.

But more importantly, I couldn't agree with you more about them genuinely wanting to fill the need. That's been at the forefront of my thinking in all conversations involving the line. They have tried, and tried again, to makeover the line. Thus far, those attempts have largely fallen flat, but it's not like I hear so often....
- 'They've ignored the OL and now they have to draft all OL in this draft.' Or....,
- 'That's the way Dallas did it, and look what happened when they drafted OL high.'

But everyone pretty conveniently just glosses over the fact that neither of this year's Super Bowl teams had what could be called a great OL. Good, but certainly not great.

Great no. Good yes and they peaked at the end of the season. Plus they have Russel Wilson and Tom Brady, Marshawn Lynch and Gronk. But if you are comparing those lines to the Rams, then I think you are way off.

I have said here in the past that it is not necessary to have 5 All pros on the line but having two very
Good ones and a third pretty good one is all that is necessary. The other two are usually elevated by good play surrounding them. In theory Saffold and Long with Wells should have been enough to make the line play well, but two of them were past their prime. Right now they have 1 very good Guard and a rookie LT that is still learning the game, so the Rams need at least two more good players on the line and an average one.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Everybody is pointing out now how GRob was raw last year. And though there was some discussion of that at the time, it was pretty low key. Virtually everyone had him written in as a Day 1 starter.
At Guard. yeah. I don't think anyone expected him to be able to plug right into the LT position. I didn't anyway.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
At Guard. yeah. I don't think anyone expected him to be able to plug right into the LT position. I didn't anyway.
Ditto here! I didn't want to see him play at OT at all last year!

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
Right now they have 1 very good Guard and a rookie LT that is still learning the game

I think we should really stop calling these guys like Jones and Robinson "rookies". They aren't rookies, they are players who have been through an entire year or more in the NFL that just saw limited playing time. They have had time to acclimate to practices and such.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I think we should really stop calling these guys like Jones and Robinson "rookies". They aren't rookies, they are players who have been through an entire year or more in the NFL that just saw limited playing time. They have had time to acclimate to practices and such.

Robinson was drafted in potential that he has yet to reach. There have been first year players at OLT that played better in their first year than he probably does in the second. He still has a long ways to go.

Besides I consider a guy a rookie until he is starting has completed a full season. Robinsons season did not start until after the draft. But it is all just semantics. You can call him what you want.

Barret Jones is practically a rookie because his first season was spent rehabbing an injury. Either way I am not counting on him. He couldn't unseat the worst Guard and second worst center in the league dispute being the smartest Olineman on th team. JT said recently that he still hasn't been able to get to where the team wants him with strength.

jjab360

Legend
Robinson was drafted in potential that he has yet to reach. There have been first year players at OLT that played better in their first year than he probably does in the second. He still has a long ways to go.

Besides I consider a guy a rookie until he is starting has completed a full season. Robinsons season did not start until after the draft. But it is all just semantics. You can call him what you want.

Barret Jones is practically a rookie because his first season was spent rehabbing an injury. Either way I am not counting on him. He couldn't unseat the worst Guard and second worst center in the league dispute being the smartest Olineman on th team. JT said recently that he still hasn't been able to get to where the team wants him with strength.
That's an odd line of speculation. Why not refer back to Robinson's rookie year instead of assuming what hasn't happened yet?

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
That's an odd line of speculation. Why not refer back to Robinson's rookie year instead of assuming what hasn't happened yet?

I am just considering how far he still has to go. You have seen him play. He was still making mistakes at the end of the season. His level of rawness put him back. GRob had a lot of catching up to do and this year I think he will be closer to a polished college OLT drafted second overall. Last year he was a project.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Falcons release Sam Baker; Justin Blalock retires

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...cons-release-sam-baker-justin-blalock-retires

The Falcons announced Monday that they have released tackle Sam Baker, who started 61 games in six seasons with the team after being selected with the 21st overall pick in the 2008 draft.

Rapoport reported Monday that Justin Blalock is planning to retire, according to a source who has spoken to him. Blalock had reportedly drawn interest from the Rams, Lions and Titans before making his decision. "I'd like to sincerely thank the Atlanta Falcons, all my teammates and especially the fans," Blalock wrote on Twitter. "I've had an unbelievable eight years and only wish I could have helped bring a championship to the ATL."

Looks like the Falcons & Rams have been in the same mode this off season in releasing their often injured declining past starters. However the difference between these two teams is the Rams over the last two drafts have used this component to replenish the many losses of four of last years starters & the top reserve....i.e. Long, Joseph, Wells, Barksdale & Mike Person & brought in Robinson, Rhaney, Havenstein, Brown, Donnel, Wichmann, Wang & Williams.

The Falcons went through a real tough 2014 season where both Baker & Blalock were injured throughout the year & show'd signed that neither could ever return to previous form.

When you review this early year post on Blalock you can use this pass period of time to help you realize that this present Ram Org. made the right decision here on Blalock & then followed up in the draft component in making many more positive & RIGHT decisions in their selections of the four OL'ers. So I just feel very confident in Snead/Fisher/Demoff upper mgt. & very pleased they are leading my Ram team. Thanks for reading.