Rams Interested in Blalock

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
It's not Fisher's history. That's rather evident. His M.O. clearly has been to find vets to nail down starting jobs. Whether that's the best approach is an entirely different conversation. Could he be willing to change his spots? Sure, anything's possible. As I said, I just don't see it being a highly unlikely scenario.

Even GRob, who almost everybody and their uncle had rated as virtually walking on water last year, didn't start until what, game 4-5. In fact, wasn't GRob the first OL a Fisher led team has even drafted in Rd 1 in a month of Sundays. Or one of the VERY few, anyway. If he doesn't even like drafting them high, what makes anyone think he's going to be anxious to start them.

A lot of it may come down to how Fisher views his own job security. IF Kroenke has told him he has nothing to fear through the end of his current contract, who knows...he might take a different tack. My comment is based only on observation of Fisher's track record. But maybe I'm all wet. Maybe there's been little action in FA precisely because recent history with injury plagued and/or inefficient vet signings have made the team gunshy about signing FA's this year. And maybe the Rams are planning to go HEAVY on OL in the draft, and starting 1 or more rooks. I sure as heck wouldn't bet money on it, but it could happen.

I can't speak to Fisher's full history with rookies on the oline. At the very least, I agree, he hasn't used them on the line in STL. Then again, he hasn't drafted many.

GRob was raw coming in... And we had Long & Barks fully planted at tackle. So, no real surprise there.

I still think we land a couple more vets as opposed to relying too strongly on the draft.

FrankenRam

Starter
I can't speak to Fisher's full history with rookies on the oline. At the very least, I agree, he hasn't used them on the line in STL. Then again, he hasn't drafted many.

GRob was raw coming in... And we had Long & Barks fully planted at tackle. So, no real surprise there.

I still think we land a couple more vets as opposed to relying too strongly on the draft.

Everybody is pointing out now how GRob was raw last year. And though there was some discussion of that at the time, it was pretty low key. Virtually everyone had him written in as a Day 1 starter. And by the time the third or fouth game rolled around last yr, there was already beginning to be murmurs of the 'bust' word in some circles.

Following is the Titans history of OL draft during Fisher's tenure as HC there.....
(Side note: Not a very illustrious history with a few exceptions. So, where the heck did Fisher get OL while HC in TN?!?!)

Blue = Rd 1-3 Pick
Green = Names I recognized though drafted outside Rd1-3
Red = One Rams fans would probably just as soon forget

2010 - No OL selected
2009 - Rd4 135 Troy Kropog T Tulane
- Rd7 239 Ryan Durand G Syracuse
2008 - No OL selected
2007 - Rd4 115 Leroy Harris C North Carolina State
- Rd7 223 Michael Otto OT Purdue
2006 - No OL selected
2005 - Rd2 41 Michael Roos T Eastern Washington
- Rd4 113 David Stewart T Mississippi State
- Rd5 150 Daniel Loper T Texas Tech
2004 - Rd5 138 Jacob Bell G Miami (Ohio)
- Rd7 239 Eugene Amano C Southeast Missouri State
2003 - Rd7 225 Todd Williams G Florida State
2002 - Rd6 187 Justin Hartwig G Kansas
2001 - Rd6 199 Adam Haayer T Minnesota
2000 - Rd7 237 Wes Shivers G Mississippi State
1999 - Rd3 81 Zach Piller T Florida
1998 - Rd5 139 Benji Olson G Washington
- Rd7 229 Kevin Long C Florida State
1997 - Rd3 81 Scott Sanderson T Washington State
1996 - Rd2 48 Jason Layman T Tennessee
- Rd4 109 Jon Runyan T Michigan
1995 - Rd6 174 Hicham El-Mashtoub C Arizona
1994 - Rd5 161 Jim Reid T Virginia

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

View: https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/577551264478732288

Here's a look at what OLG Justin Blalock has been used to being paid in the NFL.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/atlanta-falcons/justin-blalock/

Justin Blalock was paid near 8 million in 2013, he was paid nearly 8 million in 2014. Blalock was set to be paid 8 million in 2015. So sure looks like he has grown very conformable playing for a very high rate of pay.

But Blalock could get a one yr offer here close to what he was getting in order to permit the new cadre of Ram rookies to settle in. Could be worth the $$$ playing next to Greg Robinson & let Saffold return to the ORT or ORG post thus now the Rams only have one starting post in this 2015 OL to find a starter either from the drafted rookies or the reserves that they have accumulated. Like Barrett Jones, Brandon Washington, Travis Bond, Garrett Reynolds, Steven Baker or Demetrius Rhaney.

I would still like the Rams to consider ex Lion OG Rob Sims too...as a possible top third swing reserve OG in this Ram OL.

iced

Everybody is pointing out now how GRob was raw last year. And though there was some discussion of that at the time, it was pretty low key. Virtually everyone had him written in as a Day 1 starter. And by the time the third or fouth game rolled around last yr, there was already beginning to be murmurs of the 'bust' word in some circles.

There was many discussions about how raw GRob was coming out before the draft - and even fisher had mentioned his rawness predraft and said "he would take some time."

"Low key" is the opposite of how i would describe those discussions - I know sure as hell made a lot of noise about it, and i was by far not alone..

paceram

Pro Bowler

View: https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/577551264478732288

Here's a look at what OLG Justin Blalock has been used to being paid in the NFL.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/atlanta-falcons/justin-blalock/

Justin Blalock was paid near 8 million in 2013, he was paid nearly 8 million in 2014. Blalock was set to be paid 8 million in 2015. So sure looks like he has grown very conformable playing for a very high rate of pay.

But Blalock could get a one yr offer here close to what he was getting in order to permit the new cadre of Ram rookies to settle in. Could be worth the $$$ playing next to Greg Robinson & let Saffold return to the ORT or ORG post thus now the Rams only have one starting post in this 2015 OL to find a starter either from the drafted rookies or the reserves that they have accumulated. Like Barrett Jones, Brandon Washington, Travis Bond, Garrett Reynolds, Steven Baker or Demetrius Rhaney.

I would still like the Rams to consider ex Lion OG Rob Sims too...as a possible top third swing reserve OG in this Ram OL.

If he is wanting $8 million again I can see why the Rams haven't signed him yet! If the Rams are going to pay any FA offensive lineman that much I hope it is for Wisniewski. I am guessing the Rams will probably have to overpay whoever they sign but $8 million seems a little (Maybe, a lot!) high to me. I was really hoping (Dreaming!) that the Rams might somehow be able to sign Wisniewski, Barksdale and Blalock and now I am not sure they will even be able to sign any of them!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
If he is wanting $8 million again I can see why the Rams haven't signed him yet! If the Rams are going to pay any FA offensive lineman that much I hope it is for Wisniewski. I am guessing the Rams will probably have to overpay whoever they sign but $8 million seems a little (Maybe, a lot!) high to me. I was really hoping (Dreaming!) that the Rams might somehow be able to sign Wisniewski, Barksdale and Blalock and now I am not sure they will even be able to sign any of them!

I should have said in my above post that there is no way the Ram Org. is going to get close to what Justin Blalock has enjoyed for so many years now. I think they will wait & see if the market demands a much lower pay scale for Justin. In my original post on this subject I brought up a very sore wore down back issue that has not come up in any of the press releases on Justin. Did not the Falcons take a 4 million cap hit in dead money when they released him?

As this free agency plays out it could be that the Rams just sit it out on this big $$$ stuff & wait till the beginning of Training Camp to pick up vets as they are released into pre season. Fisher has a history of this & I sure we will see much of the same in 2015. I am OK with this. Overpaying for used up worn down injury riddled OL'ers is not a way to build a winning team.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I should have said in my above post that there is no way the Ram Org. is going to get close to what Justin Blalock has enjoyed for so many years now. I think they will wait & see if the market demands a much lower pay scale for Justin. In my original post on this subject I brought up a very sore wore down back issue that has not come up in any of the press releases on Justin. Did not the Falcons take a 4 million cap hit in dead money when they released him?

As this free agency plays out it could be that the Rams just sit it out on this big $$$ stuff & wait till the beginning of Training Camp to pick up vets as they are released into pre season. Fisher has a history of this & I sure we will see much of the same in 2015. I am OK with this. Overpaying for used up worn down injury riddled OL'ers is not a way to build a winning team.

Atlanta is switching to a Zone Blocking Scheme which Blalock clearly does not fit. Why pay him 8 million? Atlanta did not release him because he sucks. He no longer fit with Shanahan coming on board.

But, that doesn't mean the Rams should pony up 8 million dollars.

I'd be fine with them not signing any linemen and putting all of the draft resources into the offensive line. They will end up getting themselves into a hole with the salary cap.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
It is starting to make me worry a little too! As long as we get at least one!!

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
$8M for Blaylock? I had no idea. That's not going to happen. I was thinking $4M. Brian De La Puente is looking better and better to me.

FrankenRam

Starter
There was many discussions about how raw GRob was coming out before the draft - and even fisher had mentioned his rawness predraft and said "he would take some time."

"Low key" is the opposite of how i would describe those discussions - I know sure as hell made a lot of noise about it, and i was by far not alone..

I probably could have worded that a little better. I meant 'low key' in the sense that those who raised concerns about GRob's 'rawness' were easily lost in the din of those declaring 'Just plug him in and have LT set for the next 10yr'. And the places I was reading at the time, it seemed like a large majority of those were doing so because they wanted the Rams to take Watkins instead. I have no idea what was being said here.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Atlanta is switching to a Zone Blocking Scheme which Blalock clearly does not fit. Why pay him 8 million? Atlanta did not release him because he sucks. He no longer fit with Shanahan coming on board.

But, that doesn't mean the Rams should pony up 8 million dollars.

I'd be fine with them not signing any linemen and putting all of the draft resources into the offensive line. They will end up getting themselves into a hole with the salary cap.

Yep I agree I do not see Rams stuffing Blalock's pockets with a cash the size he is use to getting. Like you said if he is was getting 8 million in 2014 why would he get less in 2015. If the only reason they released him was due to a change in the OL blocking scheme & he is far from sucking then...... Justin is sure to want what he has always got for lining up @ OLG & playing would he not?

Could be in his mind he may want even more than the 8 million never know.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I probably could have worded that a little better. I meant 'low key' in the sense that those who raised concerns about GRob's 'rawness' were easily lost in the din of those declaring 'Just plug him in and have LT set for the next 10yr'. And the places I was reading at the time, it seemed like a large majority of those were doing so because they wanted the Rams to take Watkins instead. I have no idea what was being said here.

the idea was to plug him in at guard for a couple of years then move him out to tackle. long wasn't going anywhere, supposedly. i'm not sure anybody thought he would play tackle straight away.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

godspeed nick foles, godspeed.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

But underpaying for guys that are even more used up, worn down and far worse is a way to build a winning team?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Following is the Titans history of OL draft during Fisher's tenure as HC there.....
(Side note: Not a very illustrious history with a few exceptions. So, where the heck did Fisher get OL while HC in TN?!?!)

Blue = Rd 1-3 Pick
Green = Names I recognized though drafted outside Rd1-3
Red = One Rams fans would probably just as soon forget

2010 - No OL selected
2009 - Rd4 135 Troy Kropog T Tulane
- Rd7 239 Ryan Durand G Syracuse
2008 - No OL selected
2007 - Rd4 115 Leroy Harris C North Carolina State
- Rd7 223 Michael Otto OT Purdue
2006 - No OL selected
2005 - Rd2 41 Michael Roos T Eastern Washington
- Rd4 113 David Stewart T Mississippi State
- Rd5 150 Daniel Loper T Texas Tech
2004 - Rd5 138 Jacob Bell G Miami (Ohio)
- Rd7 239 Eugene Amano C Southeast Missouri State
2003 - Rd7 225 Todd Williams G Florida State
2002 - Rd6 187 Justin Hartwig G Kansas
2001 - Rd6 199 Adam Haayer T Minnesota
2000 - Rd7 237 Wes Shivers G Mississippi State
1999 - Rd3 81 Zach Piller T Florida
1998 - Rd5 139 Benji Olson G Washington
- Rd7 229 Kevin Long C Florida State
1997 - Rd3 81 Scott Sanderson T Washington State
1996 - Rd2 48 Jason Layman T Tennessee
- Rd4 109 Jon Runyan T Michigan
1995 - Rd6 174 Hicham El-Mashtoub C Arizona
1994 - Rd5 161 Jim Reid T Virginia

This assumption was proven wrong in the last draft where Fisher took Greg Robinson with the 2nd pick and after taking Aaron Donald with his other first he tried to trade up into round 1 to draft Zack Martin. That would have been two Olinemen in the top 15. He has no rule about not taking Olinemen high and he has said as much. It is all circumstantial.

FrankenRam

Starter
This assumption was proven wrong in the last draft where Fisher took Greg Robinson with the 2nd pick and after taking Aaron Donald with his other first he tried to trade up into round 1 to draft Zack Martin. That would have been two Olinemen in the top 15. He has no rule about not taking Olinemen high and he has said as much. It is all circumstantial.

Good grief. Nobody ever said it was a rule. But it's pretty obvious it has not been his historical practice.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Good grief. Nobody ever said it was a rule. But it's pretty obvious it has not been his historical practice.

Also was coaching a different team with a different GM and different players. And he walked into a different situation. He walked into the Oilers/Titans job with a Pro Bowl LT, a HOF LG, and a Pro Bowl Center. And then they drafted a guy who developed into a Pro Bowl RT after his first year.

In a situation like that, you can afford to take guys later in the draft and develop them because you have time. The Titans really didn't have the urgency when it came to the OL that the Rams have. And it has shown in the moves they've made imo. They spent big money on Jake Long, Scott Wells, and Rodger Saffold. They do seem to understand the need on the OL and genuinely want to fill it.

FrankenRam

Starter
Also was coaching a different team with a different GM and different players. And he walked into a different situation. He walked into the Oilers/Titans job with a Pro Bowl LT, a HOF LG, and a Pro Bowl Center. And then they drafted a guy who developed into a Pro Bowl RT after his first year.

In a situation like that, you can afford to take guys later in the draft and develop them because you have time. The Titans really didn't have the urgency when it came to the OL that the Rams have. And it has shown in the moves they've made imo. They spent big money on Jake Long, Scott Wells, and Rodger Saffold. They do seem to understand the need on the OL and genuinely want to fill it.

What you say about TN largely makes sense......though what he walked into couldn't have lasted the duration of his tenure there. And yet, he still never took an OL in the first round, and only a handful in Rds 2-3. But that's picking nits.

But more importantly, I couldn't agree with you more about them genuinely wanting to fill the need. That's been at the forefront of my thinking in all conversations involving the line. They have tried, and tried again, to makeover the line. Thus far, those attempts have largely fallen flat, but it's not like I hear so often....
- 'They've ignored the OL and now they have to draft all OL in this draft.' Or....,
- 'That's the way Dallas did it, and look what happened when they drafted OL high.'

But everyone pretty conveniently just glosses over the fact that neither of this year's Super Bowl teams had what could be called a great OL. Good, but certainly not great.

DrLurkalot

UDFA
Name
Don
I think a lot of people misrepresent how Fisher emphasizes offensive line. Long, Wells, and Joseph I believe were all former all pros who were signed as free agents. Didn't work out obviously, but you can't criticize Fisher for not trying to address the line. He's drafted Robinson in the first round, Jones and Watkins relatively early and resigned Saffold. Obviously the line still sucks, so he deserves criticism for his choices - I just don't think he deserves criticism for not emphasizing the importance of the line. I suspect they think Wisniewski, Blalock, and Barksdale are mediocre talent and would rather look at a trade or the draft if they won't accept a mediocre level contract. Hope something happens soon, but I'd rather they do it right instead of panicking and being stuck with a crap contract.