Rams Interested in Blalock

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
Left Tackle: Greg Robinson

Left Guard: Brandon Scherff

Center: Cameron Erving

Right Guard: Rodger Saffold

Right Tackle: Joseph Barksdale

Mason/Benny/Stacy's dream oline....
This would be my o-line of choice just because you would have all of these guys for at least 3 years together!

paceram

Pro Bowler
This would be my o-line of choice just because you would have all of these guys for at least 3 years together!

Just curious - I would love to get both Scherff and Erving but do you think Erving will still be around at the Rams 2nd round pick or do you think they will be moving up to get him?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I just had a thought. Could the Rams be waiting on Barksdale's decision before deciding on how much to offer/whether to sign Blalock or Wisniewski? It's possible they feel that they can only come away with one and Barksdale is the top priority or that they need to keep money free for their Barksdale offer before offering one of the other two. If that's true, it would make sense why there's been so little movement. Just spit-balling here.

FRO

Legend
I just had a thought. Could the Rams be waiting on Barksdale's decision before deciding on how much to offer/whether to sign Blalock or Wisniewski? It's possible they feel that they can only come away with one and Barksdale is the top priority or that they need to keep money free for their Barksdale offer before offering one of the other two. If that's true, it would make sense why there's been so little movement. Just spit-balling here.
Possibly. It would make sense. I was hoping they would get either Barksdale and Blalock or Wisniewski and Blalock. I don't know if that is doable cap wise.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Just curious - I would love to get both Scherff and Erving but do you think Erving will still be around at the Rams 2nd round pick or do you think they will be moving up to get him?

I think its definitely possible that Erving is there in the 2nd.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I'm thinking a deal might be in place.Rams solid offer.Joe Barksdale trust the organization & is enjoying one of his most memorable times of his life.
Joe Barksdale is a solid Ram(person) in the locker room.He had a future after his playing days.
The Rams have him with a Mic each week interviewing players on there site.Jeff Fisher had a way of being a players(coaches) coach.He waits to announce signing through the process.
Joe could get a better offer,but history says The Rams over paid to keep him.

FrankenRam

Starter
Anyone notice in Bleacher Report when they list Predicted Starting line up they Blalock as LG. They note the he is most likely to be picked up by the Rams and they list two rookie draft picks to fill out the starting OL.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...neup-after-the-1st-wave-of-free-agency/page/5

Left Tackle: Greg Robinson

Left Guard: Justin Blalock

Center: Cameron Erving

Right Guard: Rodger Saffold

Right Tackle: Brandon Scherff

IMO, there's almost zero chance Fisher will start 2 rookies on OL from Day 1....especially with GRob looking as raw as he did last year.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Not to mention; it's a youthful line with the potential to be dominant.

We've got this on the defensive side.

Get it done, Snead.

FrankenRam

Starter

That actually makes a lot of sense. If I were to hazard a guess, it would be that going after Wiz would be more dependent on what happens with Barksdale than would going after Blalock.

Guess #2....I'd be a little surprised if most of this isn't sorted out by the end of next week. Thus far, it seems neither JBarks or SWiz are able to command the $$ their agents thought would be the case going into FA,. The longer that continues to be the case, the less leverage either one has, so I would guess they're going to want to sign with someone fairly soon.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
IMO, there's almost zero chance Fisher will start 2 rookies on OL from Day 1....especially with GRob looking as raw as he did last year.

I don't see why not.

It might be risky at center, but we wouldn't be the first team to do it.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Could be. I am guessing that since Wisneiwski did not visit the Rams that they made him a set offer. Then maybe they told him that they would be willing to revisit it later on if he is willing to wait. Then, neither Seattle or Tampa Bay offered him as much as he wants so he and his agent are willing to wait on what the Rams have to say. Which, like you said Jrry is probably dependent on what Joe does. One guy on here said that Tennessee paid for his honeymoon? Crazy tactic there.

I would prefer they sign one of the three if they are going to cost much. Then draft two solid rookies, whether it be by trading back and getting an extra 2nd round pick or just taking two early. I really want White or Cooper but this Oline business has gone on far too long for a power run team that cannot even get a first down on third and 2 most times.

If Blalock is cheap enough then add him, but he has not signed yet so I am guessing he wants too much also. If I was Justin I would just wait it out. Some team is bound to have an injury at some point in camp and be desperate for a good guard. It may be his best bet to get what he wants.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I don't see why not.

Exactly. If they draft a good enough Center, then he would be able to start. There were several drafted and started in recent years. Rookie Olinemen start all of the time. If Fisher and Snead draft a few early and they don't start then either Jeff is being too cautious or Snead didn't draft well.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Exactly. If they draft a good enough Center, then he would be able to start. There were several drafted and started in recent years. Rookie Olinemen start all of the time. If Fisher and Snead draft a few early and they don't start then either Jeff is being too cautious or Snead didn't draft well.

As much as those WR excite me; I hope we load up early and often on the oline in this draft. A trade down to get more picks if we must.

Personally, I accept a little rookie risk to get talent on this line.

FrankenRam

Starter
I don't see why not.

It's not Fisher's history. That's rather evident. His M.O. clearly has been to find vets to nail down starting jobs. Whether that's the best approach is an entirely different conversation. Could he be willing to change his spots? Sure, anything's possible. As I said, I just don't see it being a highly unlikely scenario.

Even GRob, who almost everybody and their uncle had rated as virtually walking on water last year, didn't start until what, game 4-5. In fact, wasn't GRob the first OL a Fisher led team has even drafted in Rd 1 in a month of Sundays. Or one of the VERY few, anyway. If he doesn't even like drafting them high, what makes anyone think he's going to be anxious to start them.

A lot of it may come down to how Fisher views his own job security. IF Kroenke has told him he has nothing to fear through the end of his current contract, who knows...he might take a different tack. My comment is based only on observation of Fisher's track record. But maybe I'm all wet. Maybe there's been little action in FA precisely because recent history with injury plagued and/or inefficient vet signings have made the team gunshy about signing FA's this year. And maybe the Rams are planning to go HEAVY on OL in the draft, and starting 1 or more rooks. I sure as heck wouldn't bet money on it, but it could happen.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame

I think Erving is going late first round. I would be very surprised to see him on the board when the Rams pick in the 2nd round