Rams inquired on Byrd

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Alan

Legend
Only unexpected by you Ian. Why wouldn't any team needing a safety inquire. Costs you nothing to ask.

RamBill

Legend
Jairus Byrd contacted by St. Louis Rams on Saturday

By Chris Wesseling
Around the League Writer
Published: March 8, 2014 at 08:20 p.m.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...t-louis-rams-on-saturday?campaign=Twitter_atl

Bills safety Aaron Williams insists Jairus Byrd wants to return to Buffalo despite the riches awaiting the three-time Pro Bowl selection as one of the most coveted players on the open market.

Byrd has obvious connections to the Philadelphia Eagles, Cleveland Browns and Tampa Bay Buccaneers, but those won't be the only teams interested in his services.

A person informed of the team's thinking tells NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport that the St. Louis Rams were among the teams that reached out Byrd's camp on Saturday.

Rapoport calls the Rams' contact with Byrd "unexpected and interesting."

With young starters T.J. McDonald and Rodney McLeod returning. We suspect the Rams envision Byrd as a major playmaking upgrade on McLeod at free safety.

Byrd turned down a Bills contract offer that would've made him the highest paid safety for a portion of his deal, according to Rapoport.

If Sam Shields' lucrative new contract is any indication of the market awaiting Byrd, he's not going to regret rejecting his former team.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Hard for me to believe he is only 5'10" Always thought he looked taller when he was a Duck.

So what does "a portion of his deal" mean?

And does anyone know what are the obvious connections to Philly, Cleveland, and Tampa? I guess I missed those. I was first curious if the pinheads were linking him to Philly because of Chip Kelly. That's kind of a stretch. Chip was a second year OC with the Ducks when JB was playing there. As such, I doubt they said two words to each other. Kinda made me question the "obvious" connections to the other teams. I didn't look too deep but couldn't find a damn thing. Does anyone else know? Or is this just another example of the talking heads spewing non-sense?

Byrd is a tough dude and plays fast from what I recall. It wouldn't break my heart to see this Duck in horns.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Of course we will inquire about Byrd but I think acquiring him would be the unexpected part. I'd love to have him though.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
My thing on Bryd is when he underperforms and everybody is pissed about how much he's getting paid. Happens every time, it seems.

I want Verner because I think he has the lowest chance of letting us down in the secondary.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Of course we will inquire about Byrd but I think acquiring him would be the unexpected part. I'd love to have him though.

Same thing this early in FA. As soon as they saw the price tags another post was added say "Rams say they won't be very active in FA." Lol

We needed to be active more last year than this year. The draft is what I'm waiting for.

Robinson will be a Ram...

Simba

Rookie
Jarius byrd refused a 30 m. offered by Bills over 3 years. Could we offer more?I don't think.

@kevconnorsespn: The #Bills offered a multi-year contract that would have paid Byrd about $30-Mill over the first 3 seasons....

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jarius byrd refused a 30 m. offered by Bills over 3 years. Could we offer more?I don't think.

@kevconnorsespn: The #Bills offered a multi-year contract that would have paid Byrd about $30-Mill over the first 3 seasons....

maybe they didn't offer enough guaranteed money? who knows. that $30m means shit if only $10m is guaranteed.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Quite frankly, I'd much rather the Rams sign him than pay what it would take to add Verner.

It's an interesting thought. Byrd is definitely a proven entity by comparison.

Bryd will be 28 this season, Verner will be 26. Both are young players.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

We probably could but I don't think we will.

Ram_of_Old

Good to see the Rams are becoming active in the FA , market. BRAVO!

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
Byrd is the only free agent I want us to sign this year. Sadly, I believe we won't be able to afford him.