Rams INK Connor Barwin

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Limey

Rookie
Another deal with incentives! Definitely a theme for the new regime:)
I would have preferred a longer deal but understand why Barwin might not want one. On the plus side, expiring deals mean comp picks if we get outbid. Hopefully they get the bulk of the rebuilding done this year, and we won't need to chase as many FAs from other teams next season.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
YES!!!! Now lets get Rhaney all coached up at center.....

I don't think Rhaney fits the oversized mold that Kromer prefers. I was surprised he wasn't released yet.

I always wondered why Fisher and Co. always ignored the depth problem at LB

And they ignored the Oline for a long time too. For a guy who supposedly loved the power running game he didn't do much to help it along.

Was Kromer on the fence about Groy and knew he was only a one year stop gap that had no long term starting potential? The amount and structure of the offer sure made it appear that way. :banghead:

Kromer knows who Groy is. Remember Groy was bookended by two pretty good Guards. I am sure it helped his game. He is limited athletically and was an undrafted free agent because of it. I believe that he and the Rams knew the proper value. Sure it would be great to have him as a stop gap but teams with good Oline coaches get good centers throughout the draft. Green Bay seems to find them in the middle rounds all the time.

I am not liking the 'Horns up' thing. How does a Ram put his horns up when they curl down? Seems dumb.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I never was a fan of Fisher's -athleticism over character- mantra. Guys with character concerns don't make the best team players. Even slight concerns, tell us that the person is more worried about their immediate comfort. Fisher thought he could turn anyone around. Not so. That is how you end up with guys like Britt, Quick, Cook quitting on routes or mailing it for a game.

This free agency period has been a refreshing start and makes me much more comfortable with the new coaching staff.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I wanted to throw this in but forgot. A one year deal for a guy that is Barwin's age is not a bad thing. He has to earn the next contract and wont if there is nothing left in the tank. Secondly his age reduces the amount of attention that he would get in free agency next year. Plus if he is comfortable in Phillips defense at his age, comfort and happiness should matter to him.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Elmgrovegnome..supposed to use blue font on that. Gallows humor about a FAIL in nailing down FA Center Groy by tring to get a deal for him. We could have had him, and now we are desperate enough to coach up the guy that should have been cut, Mr Demetrius Rhaney.

Stl2La

Hall of Fame
I learned that Connor was born deaf today. I had no idea about that. He can apparently hear ok out of one ear now though thankfully. Just a random fact for you guys. I'm glad it didn't stop him from being successful in life. I'm that much more impressed by him now on top of all the other good things I've heard about him.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I really love these free agents. Whitworth, Woods, Webster, Dunbar, Barwin...

I'll be rooting all equally, but I think Barwin could be an instant favorite around here. I could probably say that about all of them.

Culture shift in progress!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Kromer knows who Groy is. Remember Groy was bookended by two pretty good Guards. I am sure it helped his game. He is limited athletically and was an undrafted free agent because of it. I believe that he and the Rams knew the proper value. Sure it would be great to have him as a stop gap but teams with good Oline coaches get good centers throughout the draft. Green Bay seems to find them in the middle rounds all the time.

One interesting thing the Packers do is that they tend to focus on left tackles. Yes, Cory Linsley and Lane Taylor were both interior OLs in college, but David Bakhtiari, Bryan Bulaga, T.J. Lang, Josh Sitton, and J.C. Tretter were all college LTs. It's an interesting strategy. Some guys who fit that mold this year are Forrest Lamp, Levon Myers, Dion Dawkins, Jessamen Dunker, and Avery Gennesy.(there are more) One thing to note is that all the Packers guys performed quite well in the agility drills (three cone drill and short shuttle). That would eliminate Gennesy at minimum. Dawkins and Lamp would both be safe. Dunker is borderline.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Rams might go pretty heavy on defense in this draft. That round 2 pick might be a value on edge rusher or CB, or one of the ILBs who slide out of round one who knows. Barwin's gonna give them depth so they don't go into the draft desperate, which is wise.

That's the real prob with Buffalo matching Groy's offer. Rams are real thin at center and will be still come draft day.
There is also the possibility of getting a Center in post-draft free agency!
I'm thinking the Rams, because of what they've done so far, will go after a Pass-Rusher or a ILB type with there 1st pick in the 2nd Round!! Like maybe:
* TJ Watt - Wisconsin
* Haason Reddick - Temple
* Derek Rivers - Youngstown State
* Trey Hendrickson - Florida-Atlantic
Just to name a few. in no Special order!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
One interesting thing the Packers do is that they tend to focus on left tackles. Yes, Cory Linsley and Lane Taylor were both interior OLs in college, but David Bakhtiari, Bryan Bulaga, T.J. Lang, Josh Sitton, and J.C. Tretter were all college LTs. It's an interesting strategy. Some guys who fit that mold this year are Forrest Lamp, Levon Myers, Dion Dawkins, Jessamen Dunker, and Avery Gennesy.(there are more) One thing to note is that all the Packers guys performed quite well in the agility drills (three cone drill and short shuttle). That would eliminate Gennesy at minimum. Dawkins and Lamp would both be safe. Dunker is borderline.

A lot of major colleges recruit tackles more than guards and move them inside. Norte Dame does it all the time.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
@jrry32 hows this look ing for watt being our pick in rd2 ? you still take him ?

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0636349482300084371-4

Alden Gonzalez, ESPN Staff Writer

Conor Barwin said his free agency pretty much came down to the Rams and Bengals. "Ultimately," he said, "I thought it was the better opportunity for me to be in LA, be in a defense I had success with." Re-joining defensive coordinator Wade Phillips certainly factored into that.

Barwin struggled when the Eagles went to a 4-3 last year, but said the tough part was moving to the right side of the field; not necessarily acting as a down lineman. With the Rams, he'll stay on the left side and act as a Sam linebacker.

On nickel packages -- which are implemented most of the time in today's NFL -- he'll be a left defensive end (Robert Quinn will remain on the right). "I'll bring a lot of versatility," Barwin said.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
An example of a true team player. (y)
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/24/connor-barwin-eagles-were-smart-to-cut-me/

Connor Barwin: Eagles were ‘smart’ to cut me
Posted by Michael Gehlken on March 24, 2017

Connor Barwin gets it. He understands.

The veteran defensive end carried a lofty salary. On the other side of the ball, a young quarterback in Carson Wentz needed more surrounding pieces to facilitate his development.

What followed was logical.

The former Eagle said Friday that there are no hard feelings for his release. Quite the contrary, in fact. Barwin told the Philadelphia Inquirer’s Jeff McLane the Eagles were “smart” for choosing to part ways with him as they did, a March 9 move that sliced $7.75 million off the salary cap.

“Obviously, there was a ton of money invested in the defensive line room with Fletcher (Cox), Vinny (Curry), (Brandon Graham) and myself,” Barwin said to McLane. “Now they have a quarterback that appears to have a chance to be a really, really good player.

“I wish it wasn’t the money I was getting paid, but I think it was smart to use that money and help Carson.”

Barwin, 30, spent four seasons in Philadelphia.

That’s not long enough for a city statue to be built — Paul Walker may have a better chance in San Clemente, Calif. (seriously, just watch) — but it was long enough for Barwin to leave an impression for the class he showed while on the roster and grace exhibited once off it.

And to his point, the Eagles were active this month on offense.

They signed wide receivers Alshon Jeffery and Torrey Smith along with offensive linemen Chance Warmack and Stefen Wisniewski. Veteran Nick Foles also joined the quarterbacks room on a two-year deal.

More help for Wentz.

Barwin understands.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
View: http://www.therams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Barwin-Brings-Versatility-Experience-to-Rams-Defense/7fc751d8-7826-4a86-bfbf-d407df81c24f

Barwin brings versatility and experience to Rams defense

At the NFL Combine earlier this month, general manager Les Snead acknowledged the Rams would have some new positions to fill in their defense. That, of course, comes from L.A. switching to a 3-4 base defense with new coordinator Wade Phillips.

Los Angeles took care of one of those vacant slots by signing outside linebacker Connor Barwin to a one-year deal last week.

On a conference call with local media Wednesday morning, Barwin said his free agency decision came down to the Bengals — which would have put him back in the city where he played collegiately — or the Rams.

“Ultimately, I thought it was a better opportunity for me to be out in L.A., be in a defense that I had success with,” Barwin said. “I know Wade’s had a ton of success in this league with that defense. And, obviously, [I’ll] be a part of an already really, really talented defense.”

Phillips coached Barwin as his defensive coordinator in Houston from 2011-2012 with much success. Barwin racked up 11.5 sacks in 2011, which, at that point, was a career high. That’s part of why being reunited with Phillips in L.A. is an exciting prospect for the outside linebacker.

“Obviously, Wade did a lot for my career in the two years I was with him in Houston,” Barwin said. “He taught me so much about being a pro, enjoying being around the game every single day. And, really, just from a football standpoint, he really kind of elevated my game as a pass rusher.”

Barwin has spend much of his professional career listed as an outside linebacker, but he’s also been a 4-3 defensive end. That goes back to his time at Cincinnati — he came out of college having played in that defensive system — and includes last year with the Eagles. In their first season under head coach Doug Pederson and defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz, Philadelphia went back to a 4-3, which put Barwin back at D-end.

“Last year, moving back to a 4-3 D-end, the bigger adjustment for me was moving to the right side, which, I’ve traditionally played on the left side,” Barwin said. “So back in L.A., I’ll be back to an outside linebacker. But then on nickel downs, which is usually about 60 percent of the time in the NFL now, I’ll be playing left defensive end, because Robert Quinn likes to play right defensive end.”

Heading into his ninth NFL season, Barwin should do well playing in what he feels is already one of the strongest defensive fronts in the league. He mentioned working as the ‘Sam’ — or strongside — linebacker, which means he’ll have to set the edge on run plays, pass rush, and drop into coverage. Given his experience in both 3-4 and 4-3 defensive fronts, Barwin has shown an ability to to excel in each of those situations.

“I’ll bring that kind of versatility,” Barwin said. “It’s already a defensive group that shows up on film the last couple years, that plays really hard. I pride myself on being a guy that plays really hard every single play. So, obviously, I’ll fit right in with the group.”

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
After watching his E:60 profile segment I can honestly say he is an amazing guy. I really hope he has a great season and helps take the Rams to the next level. Definitely a class act as a person. We are very fortunate he signed with us. I can't wait to see him tear up the league wearing horns!