Rams in TV Guide in 60's and 70's

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramon Ram

Starter
Remember the old days when you had to check TV guide to see who would be on? At least in NY growing up I had to look to see if the Rams were on. When they were on I was psyched.
And then you had the 2 teams in black and white with the rosters.

The good old days. Memories for anyone?

images

4mation0

UDFA
You bet! I used to clip those rosters out of the TV guide and keep them on hand while I watched the games. The first thing I'd check for every week was to see if my Rams were going to be "the late game" on NBC in Philly. Where on earth did you dig up that image!?

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I miss the Old TV Guide! They always had such great articles and interviews to read! It's Better than what you get today by pressing the Program Button on the TV now!!

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Man, when the TV Guide came out with all the Fall Saturday cartoons, it was like Christmas!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Great show, one of my all-Time favorites! I have an Old copy of TV put away, somewhere, with a photo of Clint Eastwood on the cover, celebrating his TV show " Rawhide" circa 1956ish, I'm not exactly sure of the date!

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Amazing how little info that us out of state fans had at the time.

Outside of the draft list printed in the local papers in April, we had little to no info until the Street & Smith's came out in July. I have a ton of those annuals from the 70's and 80's.

Obviously, ESPN changed that and also the USA Today newspapers as well. Only place you could get a complete box score and story on every game. I remember always stopping at the local convenient store to pick it up when I 1st started working.... often driving and reading the box score on my way to work... kind of stupid to do that.

I almost miss those days in a way. You had to be a diehard fan to know what was going on and you worked to get that knowledge. Plus, you had few talking heads to deal with.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
Yeah, there was no scrolling TV cable menus. The Saturday newspaper (what the hell is that?) is where I checked in the sports section for games to be televised on Sunday. Would get excited to see the Rams on TV and would sit through the pregame show the next morning. It was like waking up for Christmas.... where I grew up the 1st game was at 7am or 8am.

Sadly there was no rewatching the game. Had to keep it in memory until dvd collectors started popping up from mid-90s to present.

TV guide, eh, I read a few of them. My favorite one was the Welcome Back Kotter issue in the late 70s. They did a story on the Sweathog real life dopplegangers.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Amazing how little info that us out of state fans had at the time.

Outside of the draft list printed in the local papers in April, we had little to no info until the Street & Smith's came out in July. I have a ton of those annuals from the 70's and 80's.

Obviously, ESPN changed that and also the USA Today newspapers as well. Only place you could get a complete box score and story on every game. I remember always stopping at the local convenient store to pick it up when I 1st started working.... often driving and reading the box score on my way to work... kind of stupid to do that.

I almost miss those days in a way. You had to be a diehard fan to know what was going on and you worked to get that knowledge. Plus, you had few talking heads to deal with.

Don't forget Howard's halftime highlights. Even if the MNF game stunk, at least we'd get to see what the Rams did the day before. Other than Street and Smith's my big buy was the NFL record and fact book. It started out as the NFL Record Manual in a 4 X 6 format and in 1983 went to 8 1/2 X 11. Of course by then it was the Record and Fact Book and had everything, complete with every box score and summary of the previous years games.

fearsomefour

Legend
TV Guide.....
I pictured myself as Jim Rockford as a kid.....I was probably closer to Angel.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I will have to dig up some old covers of those mags.... rainy day tomorrow and will be cleaning out the basement... I think I have some down there stored away.