Rams hoping Rob Boras can jump-start sagging run game/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Boras diving into new coordinator duties
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_6d8b19f8-55c1-5c3b-a727-5914f732f548.html

Rob Boras is sleep-deprived. More sleep-deprived than is usually the case for assistant coaches in the middle of a football season. Two days on his new job feels like a month.

“My wife’s still waiting for me to call,” Boras quipped.

Even his texts back to the home front have been streamlined to save time. “Emojis now,” Boras explained. “So you don’t have to type a whole word. I just type a heart.”

As in “I (heart) you.” Or “I (heart) offense.”

Boras found out at midday Monday he was replacing Frank Cignetti as the Rams’ offensive coordinator. Although he was given the extra title of assistant head coach/offense this season, Boras’ main responsibility since coming to St. Louis in 2012 as part of Jeff Fisher’s original Rams staff has been tight ends coach.

As such, he worked closely with only four to five players every day. Now, he’s basically responsible for half the roster — the entire offense. That’s called raising your profile. Are the players treating him any differently?

“A couple of ’em have learned my name,” Boras joked. “No, it’s a great group of guys. We all have our ups and downs, but the thing we’ve said since we’ve been here — we have really good people in the locker room. They’re willing to do what they’re asked to do. We’ve just gotta be smart to ask ’em to do the right things.”

Wednesday marked Boras’ first practice as offensive coordinator, and yes, Fisher said Boras knew where to stand.

“He did great,” Fisher said, smiling.

On Sunday against visiting Detroit, Boras will do his first play-calling since 2003, when he was offensive coordinator at the University of Nevada-Las Vegas. So there will be an adjustment period.

“I’d be lying if I said, ‘No,’” Boras said. “Yeah, there’s gonna be an adjustment. That’s part of the process and it’s not gonna be perfect. Football isn’t perfect. I’m not gonna be perfect. Plays aren’t perfect — that’s why you trust your players to move forward.”

But Fisher re-iterated Wednesday that he has no qualms about Boras’ play-calling on game day, despite his lack of experience.

“The big challenge is the game plan during the week,” Fisher said. “Getting the plays called and getting ’em in, no he’s not gonna have any difficulty. No concerns about that.”

Cignetti’s dismissal came as a total surprise, Boras said. From a player’s vantage point, it underscored the point that little is guaranteed in the NFL. Or in life.

“We’ve had a lot of eye-opening things happen on this team the last couple weeks,” Boras said. “Stedman (Bailey, who was shot recently). ‘Cig.’ All we’re guaranteed is today.”

With that in mind, the new mantra at Rams Park, Boras said, is “let’s win today.” To win Sunday, the Rams obviously must do much better on offense, in which they are at or near the bottom in several key categories. But it’s impossible to reinvent the wheel 12 games into the season. So radical changes in terms of play-calling or philosophy aren’t going to take place.

“I don’t know how much can change,” said Boras, although he did volunteer that he has some “different thoughts” when it comes to running the offense. “But at the end of the day, we’re pretty far down the road right now,” he continued. “There’s not gonna be a whole lot that’s gonna change. You hope to become more efficient. We’ve gotta try to put guys in the best position we can to make plays.

“But it can’t be a huge change — guys can’t handle that right now. We’re too far entrenched with our system to think there’s gonna be wholesale changes.”

Besides, the issues are still the issues. Third-down conversions. Completing passes. Catching passes. Opening holes in the running game. And, oh yeah, scoring points.

With all that in mind, Boras and the offensive staff started on some third-down work Tuesday night, and continued in that vein Wednesday night. The plan remains to get the ball to the team’s best playmakers — Todd Gurley and Tavon Austin — as much as possible.

Adding another layer of adjustment to Boras’ ascension is the fact that the Rams are switching quarterbacks, or re-switching QBs. Back from his concussion, Case Keenum will make his second start of the season against the Lions. Cignetti was fairly hands-off when it came to the quarterbacks, and that should be even more of the case with Boras.

“I’m not gonna pretend to go in there and be a quarterback coach,” Boras said. “Of course, I sat in the quarterback room (Wednesday) and was involved with it, but I’m not gonna sit there and correct his footwork and things like that. I mean, we have a quarterback coach (Chris Weinke) doing that.”

=============

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
“But at the end of the day, we’re pretty far down the road right now,” he continued. “There’s not gonna be a whole lot that’s gonna change. You hope to become more efficient. We’ve gotta try to put guys in the best position we can to make plays.

“But it can’t be a huge change — guys can’t handle that right now. We’re too far entrenched with our system to think there’s gonna be wholesale changes.”

Besides, the issues are still the issues. Third-down conversions. Completing passes. Catching passes. Opening holes in the running game. And, oh yeah, scoring points.

With all that in mind, Boras and the offensive staff started on some third-down work Tuesday night, and continued in that vein Wednesday night. The plan remains to get the ball to the team’s best playmakers — Todd Gurley and Tavon Austin — as much as possible.

Well, he's certainly setting realistic expectations (too far down the road to make any sweeping changes). Seems realistic.

I know they want to get the ball in Gurley and Austin's hands, but that is too easily defensed.

The other guys just have to step up. Starts with the QB play, but all the skill position players have to contribute.

Relying mainly on just those two hasn't (and won't) work.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
No lie: Rob Boras knows new job will be challenging
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...e-rob-boras-knows-new-job-will-be-challenging

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- New St. Louis Rams offensive coordinator Rob Boras is well aware that his new job will not be easy.

When Rams coach Jeff Fisher announced Monday that Boras would be taking over play-calling duties and he was firing previous coordinator Frank Cignetti, he was asking Boras to help turn around an offense that ranks near the bottom of the league in many major statistical categories. That could have been a possibility had it happened in January when Fisher opted for Cignetti over Boras.

But with four games left? Boras is the first to admit it's a tall order.

To wit:

Asked if there will be an adjustment to calling plays at any level for the first time since he was the offensive coordinator at UNLV in 2003, Boras didn't mince words.

“I’d be lying if I said no," Boras said. "There’s going to be an adjustment. That’s part of the process. It’s not going to be perfect. Football isn’t perfect. I’m not going to be perfect. Plays aren’t perfect. That’s why you trust your players to move forward and that’s what we’re going to do.”

Asked if he felt pressure to get things turned around even in the face of dire circumstances, Boras again opted for the truth.

“I’d be lying if I said no," Boras said. "Yeah.”

Here's some more unvarnished truth: Boras is highly thought of in many league circles; he's a smart, energetic coach and the tight ends (the position he previously coached) think highly of him. But it's hard to look at this final quarter of the season as anything other than setting Boras up to fail. Through no fault of his own, he's been thrust into a position where the only answers to the Rams' offensive problems have to come from outside the walls of Rams Park.

Sure, Boras has some talented pieces in guys like running back Todd Gurley and multipurpose weapon Tavon Austin. But he also has a banged up offensive line that can't pass protect or run block consistently, a backup quarterback coming off a concussion and a group of pass-catchers with no more than 445 receiving yards from any one of them this season.

Given all of those limitations and this late point in the season, there's no time to attempt any sweeping changes to the scheme.

“I don’t know how [it] can change," Boras said. "Obviously, it’s a different philosophy. We have different thoughts, but at the end of the day, we’re pretty far down the road right now. There’s not going to be a whole lot that’s going to change."

That doesn't mean that Boras isn't going to try. Although he hasn't had much experience calling plays, Fisher believes Boras can push the buttons a bit better and get the run game going.

“Finding out when we did, it’s hard to change a whole lot," Boras said. "You hope to become more efficient. We’ve got to try to put guys in the best position they can to make plays, but it can’t be a huge change. Guys can’t handle that right now. We’re too far entrenched with our system to think there’s going to be wholesale changes.”

Speaking to the media Wednesday for the first time since his promotion, Boras acknowledged that he was as surprised as anyone when Fisher informed him of the change around noon CT on Monday. In the time since, Boras hasn't had much time to sleep, let alone communicate with the outside world.

Boras joked Wednesday that he hasn't been able to call his wife and even the occasional text has been limited to heart emojis to let her know he loves her. Boras has also had to go about getting to know all of the offensive players.

“A couple of them have learned my name," Boras said, laughing. "No, it’s a great group of guys. We all have our ups and downs. But, the thing we’ve said since we’ve been here, we have really good people in the locker room. They’re willing to do what they’re asked to do. We just have to be smart to ask them to do the right things. That’s a great group of guys.”

For now, Boras made it clear his focus is on trying to "win a day at a time." In other words, he's just trying to get through the week as best he can as the Rams put in the game plan for Sunday's matchup with Detroit. It doesn't figure to be easy but Fisher has confidence in Boras.

“He’s going to be fine," Fisher said. "The big challenge is the game plan during the week. That’s the challenge in my opinion. Getting the plays called and getting them in, no, he’s not going to have any difficulty with that. No concerns about that."

For his part, Boras said he wants to make it a point to feed the ball to Gurley and Austin as much as possible. He hasn't worked with quarterbacks in the past so he'll lean on quarterbacks coach Chris Weinke to help with those efforts though he sat in on a meeting Wednesday.

When all is said and done, the responsibility for the Rams' lagging offense can't and shouldn't fall in Boras' hands, just like it shouldn't have all landed squarely on Cignetti. The Rams' offensive woes are an institutional problem, something that's plagued the franchise throughout Fisher's tenure and even before him.

Clearly, the Rams offensive coordinator job can age a man quickly.

“This week seems about a month," Boras said. "It’s been two days."