Rams hope to get Clay Matthews back after Week 9 bye

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
gettyimages-1174884915.jpg

By: Cameron DaSilva | 1 hour ago

Clay Matthews has been sidelined ever since he broke his jaw on a freak play against the Seahawks in Week 5. His initial timetable to return was 4-6 weeks with Sean McVay saying he’d be out “at least a month.”
Nearly three weeks removed from the day he was first injured, Matthews remains on track with that recovery timeline. McVay provided an update on Matthews Friday, saying the Rams hope to get their sack leader back after the Week 9 bye.

“Clay going to continue to be out, we’re hopeful to get him back after the bye,” McVay said from London.
Matthews had six sacks in his first five games with the Rams, quickly surpassing his 2018 total of 3.5 with the Packers. His resurgence was a welcome surprise for the Rams, which made his injury such a big blow to the defense.
When he returns, though, he’ll take back his starting job from Samson Ebukam, who doesn’t yet have a sack this season.

Inhabit;ord=892384233131.9365;dc_seg=756255014

Kevin

Pro Bowler
I hope he makes a full recovery before playing again. A partially-healed broken jaw must hurt like hell on every tackle.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
No rush, we face the Steelers after the bye. They're down to their 3rd string QB albeit pulling some impressive wins.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
McVay said they were hopeful to get Matthews back after the bye. He didn’t say how long after the bye.

The lame reporters at the presser never followed up to asked him.

I swear, I know I’m old and grumpy, but these reporters are empty headed marshmallows. They don’t ask follow up questions on important subjects, they don’t ask if JJOHNSON had his surgery yet, they don’t ask where Talib is in his recovery. It’s pathetic.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Matthews has played well beyond my expectations this season and i'm lookin forward to his healthy return, I just hope drinking meals thru a straw doesn't have too much of an adverse effect on his body strength in the short-term. Can't wait to see him, Ramsey, Fowler, Donald, Weddle, Littleton, JJ3, & Talib performing together. Get well soon guys, we'll be needing you for the stretch ...

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Matthews has played well beyond my expectations this season and i'm lookin forward to his healthy return, I just hope drinking meals thru a straw doesn't have too much of an adverse effect on his body strength in the short-term. Can't wait to see him, Ramsey, Fowler, Donald, Weddle, Littleton, JJ3, & Talib performing together. Get well soon guys, we'll be needing you for the stretch ...
Are we getting JJ back this year? I wasn't sure. I hope so.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Are we getting JJ back this year? I wasn't sure. I hope so.

Honestly, I don't know. Hope so being that we can return two from the IR list, but I haven't heard much since it became known surgery was likely.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Honestly, I don't know. Hope so being that we can return two from the IR list, but I haven't heard much since it became known surgery was likely.

Agree. And why isn’t anyone asking?

VinnyB told me JJ hasn’t had surgery yet. Yet, no one asks McVay about JJ. wtf.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Him being out for a month might keep his legs fresh for the stretch run and so he could have a big last month with Ramsey and the press scheme giving more time for the pass rush to get home.

BTW, I think the same type thing is going to help Drew Brees. He had a dead arm late last yr so him being on the shelf for half a season might keep him fresh. It just might be their year this year in the end.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
McVay said they were hopeful to get Matthews back after the bye. He didn’t say how long after the bye.

The lame reporters at the presser never followed up to asked him.

I swear, I know I’m old and grumpy, but these reporters are empty headed marshmallows. They don’t ask follow up questions on important subjects, they don’t ask if JJOHNSON had his surgery yet, they don’t ask where Talib is in his recovery. It’s pathetic.

I read his comment, it seems obvious he meant after the bye, as in the next week after the bye.

I mean its like someone saying, "I will see you after I get back from my weekend vacation...", It doesn't mean I will see a month after I get back from that vacation.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
I read his comment, it seems obvious he meant after the bye, as in the next week after the bye.

I mean its like someone saying, "I will see you after I get back from my weekend vacation...", It doesn't mean I will see a month after I get back from that vacation.

Glad it’s obvious to you. It’s not obvious to me.

I’m not sure if he meant the very next game after the bye, or the week after that, or maybe the week after that. I guess that because no one asked him. And assumptions can be less obvious than you think.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Glad it’s obvious to you. It’s not obvious to me.

I’m not sure if he meant the very next game after the bye, or the week after that, or maybe the week after that. I guess that because no one asked him. And assumptions can be less obvious than you think.

McVay should be more specific. Something like "Clay will return on Nov. 6 at 1:42 PM and resume practice. Could be as late as 1:45".

oldnotdead

Legend
DaSilva is such an ass every time he writes something he shows how little he knows about this team and football in general. Mathews and Ebukam have roles on the team. Clay is a situational pass-rusher and Samson is s true SAM LB their roles and responsibilities are completely different. Ebukam better against the run and in pass coverage. DaSilva obviously doesn't understand the difference.