Rams hope their offense is working vs. Eagles --PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams hope their offense is working vs. Eagles
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_d15c24f1-9b18-524a-baf1-b6f8657d1947.html

Even though the Rams ended up losing 34-31 to Dallas their last time out, you could sense the confidence building on offense with almost every series. The Rams’ 448 yards gained that day marked their biggest total in a regulation contest in 30 games.

And go figure: quarterback Austin Davis and the Rams did more damage to the Dallas defense in that Sept. 21 contest than Drew Brees and the highly-touted New Orleans attack did against the Cowboys this past Sunday night.

Realizing that the NFL is a week-to-week business, the Rams would like nothing better than to have their newly-found offensive mojo working again this Sunday in Philadelphia.

“I hope so,” offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer said Thursday evening after practice. “Each week’s different. I mean, you never know. Philly creates some different problems than Dallas. ... But we’re to the point now where we don’t really worry about the opponent as much as we worry about ourselves.

“It’s our execution; it’s the things we’re trying to get done. When we practice well, we generally play well.”

And with two of the week’s three full-scale practices now in the books, coach Jeff Fisher likes what he’s seen.

“Austin’s had a real solid couple days,” Fisher said, referring to newly-anointed starting quarterback Davis. “He has a good feel. It’s just a matter of going out and spreading the ball around, handing it off, and making plays.

“He’s throwing the ball really well right now. He’s different. He’s got confidence and I’m looking forward to watching him play.”

The Rams (1-2) rank ninth in the NFL in total offense.

INJURY UDPATE

There were no changes on Thursday’s injury report: WR/punt returner Tavon Austin (knee) was listed as limited once again, but was moving around well whenever he did get out there.

Backup QB Shaun Hill (thigh) was full participation, and once again C/G Barrett Jones (back), CB Trumaine Johnson (knee), and CB Brandon McGee (foot) did not practice.

There was one change for Philadelphia: nickel back Brandon Boykin (hamstring) was full participation Thursday after not practicing Wednesday.

DOWN GOES BORAS

Tight ends coach Rob Boras suffered a leg injury Thursday while pretending to be a linebacker covering a tight end during individual drills. He finished practice hopping around with a huge brace on the leg.

Boras “was actually giving one of his tight ends a ‘look’ as a cover linebacker,” Fisher said, smiling. “Don’t know exactly whether he blew out his calf or his Achilles. But we will find out, and we will have him on the injury report tomorrow.”

LYGHT’S OUT

Former Rams Pro Bowl cornerback Todd Lyght will not make the 15-year reunion festivities Oct. 12-13 in St. Louis because he’ll be working. Lyght is in his first year as assistant secondary coach for Philadelphia.

“Todd’s doing a great job,” Eagles coach Chip Kelly told St. Louis reporters. “Obviously had a heck of a career there for the Rams, was part of their Super Bowl run. Is just starting to get into the coaching phase of things.”

Lyght, who ended his 12-year NFL playing career with Detroit in 2002, had been on Kelly’s Oregon staff in 2011-12.

EVERYTHING BUCKEYE

Linebacker James Laurinaitis was teased earlier in the week by teammates for changing into an all Ohio State ensemble after practice. Now he plans to plant a buckeye tree at his St. Louis home.

“I used Google to the best of my ability, and Missouri Botanical Gardens’ website says that they will grow here,” he said.

“There’s a certain amount of years old that it has to be before it actually starts dropping the full-sized buckeye nuts. My wife said, ‘Why would you (plant) a buckeye tree? Who’s gonna pick the nuts up?’

“Years down the line it’ll be my little secret to the next homeowner, that when they’re sitting there picking up all those buckeyes, that a Buckeye once lived there.”

RAM-BLINGS

• The team held a spirited indoor practice Thursday, moving inside because of heavy rains.

• The Philadelphia roster includes former Rams starting CB Bradley Fletcher and former Rams P Donnie Jones.

• Former Mizzou QB Brad Smith is a backup WR and core special teams player for the Eagles.

He scored a TD on a blocked punt last week vs. San Francisco.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
“I hope so,” offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer said Thursday evening after practice. “Each week’s different. I mean, you never know. Philly creates some different problems than Dallas. ... But we’re to the point now where we don’t really worry about the opponent as much as we worry about ourselves.

“It’s our execution; it’s the things we’re trying to get done. When we practice well, we generally play well.”

That quote gives me enormous hope, just the possibility that this offense has finally begun to turn the page. Exciting stuff.

RamzFanz

Damnit
AD practised well?!? That's NOT good mojo!

I'm kidding, of course. Rams are gonna pound on the Eagles. I started BOTH Quick and Britt in my FF team. I'm sensing that AD likes throwing to Britt, a LOT. A few inches shorter on a couple of passes and he has a huge game last week. I'm hoping AD has gotten the message that Britt will go up and fight for the ball. (y)

BuffaloRam

Pro Bowler
Get into a rhythm against the Eagles and we can dictate the tempo of the game. Quick will be a mismatch out wide and will need safety help - I'm thinking the Cook and Britt might have big gamws