Rams hold private workout with OT Havenstein

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!

Didn't see that anybody mentioned this on here yet. I know thehammer had him mocked in his most recent draft. I know nothing about this guy. Somebody fill me in.... Is he a guard at the next level or can he step in and play RT. What round do you see him going in?

paceram

Pro Bowler

Didn't see that anybody mentioned this on here yet. I know thehammer had him mocked in his most recent draft. I know nothing about this guy. Somebody fill me in.... Is he a guard at the next level or can he step in and play RT. What round do you see him going in?

I would think the 4th Round would be a good round to consider him but he may go higher.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I think is a real good fit here with Paul Boudreau scheme. This below draft site has Rob Havenstein who is over 6-7 320 plus pounds rated as the #116 player in this yr draft mid 4th pick. But OT will go far ahead of many other positions. IMO Havenstein is an easy a top 100 prospect in this draft. The below site claims & pencils him a ORG in the NFL.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2015/OT
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1737653/rob-havenstein

This below site provides a much better positive write up on Rob Havenstien. They see him as a 3rd to 4th rounder.I think this summary is much closer to what we will see in the NFL. I believe that Havenstein would be an excellent back up @ ORT this season to whomever we have starting if its Reynolds is the starter then Havenstein could be starting by the bye.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/track...n/dt-by-grade-input:2/dt-by-position-input:ol
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/rob-havenstein?id=2552363

Just depend where Fisher selects his QB in a few weeks. Sure looks like Fisher will take a QB on the second day of the draft if Fisher uses his 3rd pick for the QB then I would consider zero % chances that the Rams will draft Havenstein. If Fisher were to go with a QB with his 2nd rd #41 pick which is more probable then Havenstein may get much consideration @ #72 pick. I think is too late to be trying to find future talented starters in the OL but many members claim that's not anything to be a concern about. Rams have an excellent track record over the last two decades finding starters in this area....:sick:

For example if the draft falls out like this:
1st#10-WR-Cooper/White/Parker
2nd#41-QB-Petty/Grayson/Hundley
3rd#72-Maybe a OL?

Stel

Starter
Solid, big ROT prospect. A solid run blocker. Probably can play day 1. I think a likely third round pick, long shot to be late 2nd round. At worst, early 4th round.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Teams are gonna be able to find guards up and down this draft. That's good for us. If we take one high though, I can't imagine we take one again until very late in the draft as the value is such as they're still be talent left.

An analogous situation was CB last year. CB was deep and guys were available late like EJ Gaines and Roberson (who would have been a pick in another draft) was gotten as a UFA.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Teams are gonna be able to find guards up and down this draft. That's good for us. If we take one high though, I can't imagine we take one again until very late in the draft as the value is such as they're still be talent left.

An analogous situation was CB last year. CB was deep and guys were available late like EJ Gaines and Roberson (who would have been a pick in another draft) was gotten as a UFA.
This top major Draft site listed below indicated that there will be only four solid OG's that are projected to go off the boards @ the conclusion of the second day after first,second & third rounds. That #no is very small.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/track...n/dt-by-grade-input:2/dt-by-position-input:ol

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2015/OG
No first day OG's projected ratings. Six second day OG's projected to go the second day. So is 6 OG's that are projected to be off the boards @ the end of the second day considered real good, good, decent or poor in numbers?

thehammer

Rookie
a fun to watch, road grader rt....tested awful at combine but played/practiced well at the senior bowl

massive, well coached player who plays within his limitations and has the look of a 10 year starter at rt

Athos

Legend
a fun to watch, road grader rt....tested awful at combine but played/practiced well at the senior bowl

massive, well coached player who plays within his limitations and has the look of a 10 year starter at rt

What's the highest round we may have to take him in? Or rather, the highest round you think we should take him in?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Good to hear the Rams worked him out. I like Havenstein as a prospect. I think he would be a very good 4th round pick. I hope he lasts that long. I think he would be in consideration at ORT.

WestCoastRam

Legend
This top major Draft site listed below indicated that there will be only four solid OG's that are projected to go off the boards @ the conclusion of the second day after first,second & third rounds. That #no is very small.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2015/OG
No first day OG's projected ratings. Six second day OG's projected to go the second day. So is 6 OG's that are projected to be off the boards @ the end of the second day considered real good, good, decent or poor in numbers?

I read yah, Bonifay but there are a lot of OTs and even guys like Cam Erving (who could play OG if needed and might if a team takes him with a starting center) who should be on those lists who will convert to guards in the NFL. I think the lists from NFL and CBS are great starting points for a discussion but I think you gotta take them with a grain of salt... like opinions on message boards. ;)

Plus, I think I mentioned that talent at OG could be found up and down the draft, I think it lieu of that argument it might be worthwhile to not cut off any discussion of depth at the end of the 2nd day but include the whole draft and UFA. There's totally an argument to be made about where the strength of a position lies as far as player grades but it's not necessarily analogous to depth of players with draftable grades.

All that being said, I realize we're talking about a tackle prospect. Possibly a pure tackle prospect in this draft.

Last edited:

Memphis Ram

Legend

Hopefully another voice helps ease Rams fans concerns about the OLine if the team doesn't happen to use a 1st or second rounder there.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I read yah, Bonifay but there are a lot of OTs and even guys like Cam Erving (who could play OG if needed and might if a team takes him with a starting center) who should be on those lists who will convert to guards in the NFL.
Yes I agree with you here in fact Cam is a perfect example IMO the OLG post will be where he will end up thus help drive home your point there.
I think the lists from NFL and CBS are great starting points for a discussion but I think you gotta take them with a grain of salt... like opinions on message boards. ;)
Usually, IMO, I have found these two sites to be better than most & others year after yr & thus I tend to take them more than a few grains of salt.
Plus, I think I mentioned that talent at OG could be found up and down the draft, I think it lieu of that argument it might be worthwhile to not cut off any discussion of depth at the end of the 2nd day but include the whole draft and UFA.
I would agree with you that cutting off any discussion after the 2nd day might be hasty but Fisher has yet to find draft, sign & retain on the Ram roster any OG's...even though you stated "could be found up and down the draft". Wonder what Fishers issues are with that? WestCoastRam you do have merit here because Fisher has found two non starting centers on the 3rd day of two previous drafts that have stuck for the moment.

However you have to agree Rams NOW need several talented prospects that can be inserted as starters ASAP in this very weak talent deprive OL, not a bunch of long time back ups. As stated above Fisher has very BIG issues finding OL starters in the past 3 drafts. The one Fisher OL starter (LT) was landed @ the very tip top of the first round in the 2014 draft. Fisher is much more successful.... & has repeated this success many times in most all the other teams positions. Maybe it time he concentrates fully on OL'ers & QB's so he can finally get a winning Ram season under his belt.

Its my desire as a Ram fan in hoping that Fisher learns from his only Ram success in securing a young very talented healthy starting OL'er. I hope he refrains on counting on himself finding starting OL'ers too far down the draft as you voiced...... where he has zero success. Continue to gamble here on this OL & another non winning Ram season is inevitable. Thanks for your time(y).

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
If he's there in the fourth, pounce on him. I like him at right tackle and at guard. Plus he has the pedigree, so...there's that.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Bonifay, I think we're talking about separate things. I don't necessarily disagree with you on your points. My point is that I believe this draft has depth at the OG position.