Rams hire John Bonamego, Special Teams Coordinator

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, Fassel is the one that went to Dallas so let’s hope it’s a change for the better
But didn't he do that because the Rams were not that interested in trying to keep him anymore?

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Bonamego...Special teams ratings from FootballOutsiders for his units going back to 2002. .
2019 Lions: 8th
2014 Lions: 31st
2013 Lions: 20th
2012 Jags: 25th
2011 Saints: 12th
2010 Dolphins: 29th
2009 Dolphins: 9th
2008 Dolphins: 29th
2007 Saints: 25th
2006 Saints: 14th
2005 Packers: 30th
2004 Packers: 14th
2003 Packers: 13th
2002 Jags: 18th
Avg. Ranking: 20th

John Fassel's Ratings:
2019 (Rams) 23rd
2018 (Rams) 17th
2017 (Rams) 2nd
2016 (Rams) 3rd
2015 (Rams) 7th
2014 (Rams) 7th
2013 (Rams) 4th
2012 (Rams) 26th
2011 (Raiders)20th
2010 (Raiders)13th
2009 (Raiders)17th
2008 (Raiders) 2nd
Swap Hekker between the two and see how they compare. I am sure Fassell helped Hekker, but I would guess he would be an All-Pro under any coach.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Swap Hekker between the two and see how they compare. I am sure Fassell helped Hekker, but I would guess he would be an All-Pro under any coach.

True, but in fairness to John Fassel, he recognized the upside in Hekker, which led the Rams to not draft a punter and sign Hekker as an UDRFA.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
But didn't he do that because the Rams were not that interested in trying to keep him anymore?

I'm not sure, it might have been Fassel wanting to move onto Dallas, but IMO, it was most likely the combination of both...I agree I will miss him and I think Fassel is an upper echelon ST Coach and to this point Bonamego has been mediocre, however, this is what we have now and let's hope for the best.

EasyE

Starter
good luck coach!...I am happy to be alive, so all else is just details!

win or lose, enjoy your day....

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
good luck coach!...I am happy to be alive, so all else is just details!

And being a Cancer Survivor I'm sure Coach Bonamego embraces that philosophy
1581446232800.png

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
The LA Rams are finally filling their vacant Special Teams Coordinator role with a solid hire of former Detroit ST coach John Bonamego
The LA Rams are bringing in their last major coaching hire, new Special Teams Coordinator John Bonamego. While the team will continue to fill additional staff positions, assistant coaching roles, and the like, this completes the major hires for the team in preparation for the 2020 NFL season.

Bonamego is a veteran coach in the NFL, and he coached the Detroit Lions special teams to a ranking of eighth-best in the NFL according to Football Outsiders’ final ranking for 2019. That same ranking placed the LA Rams on 23rd, so it seems logical that the Rams have made an upgrade in the two transactions.

The curious aspect of this hire is not why the Rams are hiring Bonamego, but rather why the Detroit Lions dismissed him after just one season. From the number of firings at the end of 2019, the Lions focused on wholesale changes to their defense, and Bonamego was simply collateral damage from the housecleaning. Additionally, per NFL.com’s Nick Shook, Bonamego’s special teams unit struggled with penalties in 2019. That should be correctable, particularly in light of starting off with a clean slate with a new team.

That all means great news for the Rams, whose special teams had plummeted in 2019 after many years performing among the best of the NFL.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I hope this guy is an expert at teaching special teams how to cover their KR/PR.
So underrated.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Yes but I don't think it was all Bones. So much of teams is how they're stacked with the bottom of the roster. Do you as a ST coach get the guys you want in those final decisions? I think Fish kind of spoiled Bones in that regard and McVay probably wasn't quite as one-sided towards teams with the bottom roster.

But I do agree it was time for Bones to roll. Diminishing returns and all that. Especially when you see teams run a fake without the head coach knowing, at that point the writing was on the wall lol.

What’s going to happen to Bones guy Scott

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
What’s going to happen to Bones guy Scott
I'm guessing he'll be a core teams guy for us. And yet another SS type on our depth chart too since Christian and his lovely locks will be gone.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Play on special teams and be safety depth.

Yeah- but he seems like a solid bones roster draft pick. I think he can become a valid free safety. He has good ball skills.

He was hand picked by Bones.I think he said something like he was the best special teams prospect he ever saw in the draft.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah- but he seems like a solid bones roster draft pick. I think he can become a valid free safety. He has good ball skills.

He was hand picked by Bones.I think he said something like he was the best special teams prospect he ever saw in the draft.
He did, I don’t think though that means other ST coaches won’t like him. We also have openings at Safety after our starters like the other thread mentions. The question becomes does our new DC like three safety schemes or will he use more corners! Will it depend on the talent on the roster and be fluid?