RAMS High Contract Players

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
This Rams poster did this work and did a fine job giving us all a very (maybe premature) look at major decisions Snead and Fisher will have a long look at probably starting this seasson. In my personal opinion Coach Fisher and staff will be getting (AT LEAST) the five year contract for Jeff its a paultry (7 Million) a year. I think the way he's making moves his seat must feel ice cold. We'll get to see this OL grow this year and have one more year (AT Least) to add to this crew and take more shots at draft and if cuts are made ,finally some vets in below positions may be added. This week could be a history making and changing game if urgency and everything is laid on the field with Great game plans from "O" & "D". Thanks Govane for all your work fact finding.

govane

Might be early, but IMO these guys are not worth their cap hits for next year.

DE Chris Long - $14.25M cap hit, $11.75M cap savings.
Would be 5th highest cap hit of all DE's next year. Close to 10% of total cap space. Production could be replaced by resigning Hayes and Sims.

ILB James Laurinaitis - $6.43 cap hit and $5.53 cap savings.
Production has declined the last two years. Could be replaced for less by FA signing such as up and coming ILB Zach Brown who's familiar with GW's scheme.
JL actually has 8th highest salary in 2016 for ILB's.
Rank Total Cash Player
1 $8,750,000 Lawrence Timmons
2 $8,000,000 Jerod Mayo
3 $7,500,000 Bobby Wagner
3 $7,500,000 David Harris
5 $6,600,000 Navorro Bowman
6 $6,250,000 Brian Cushing
7 $6,000,000 Stephen Tulloch
8 $5,775,000 James Laurinaitis
9 $5,500,000 D'Qwell Jackson
9 $5,500,000 Curtis Lofton

TE Jared Cook - $8.30M cap hit, $5.70M cap savings.
5th highest cap hit of all TE's next year doesn't really match production and effort. I doubt there's much drop off from Cook and Kendrick to Kendricks and Harvey.

WR Kenny Britt - $4.85M cap hit, $4.85M cap savings.
Kenny was awesome with the fans at Oxnard, but I just don't see him being the #1 WR this team sorely needs. Pay a bit more, and you might be able to land WR Alshon Jeffery next year. And dare I say WR Josh Gordon. Imagine Jeffery, Gordon and Quick on this team.

OLB Akeem Ayers - $3.00M cap hit, $3.00M cap savings.
$3.00M for 24% of the def snaps is not worth it IMO. Even Westbrooks plays more at 27%. In comparison, Tree and JL play 99% of the defensive snaps. I think Hager or Lynch can fill Ayers' role next year.

There you go. I said it. I know some of you's are thinking it. That's $30.8M in cap savings.

Getting ready to duck.

ME: Hate to admit I watch as much and as many college games to see who would be best for us to add to our growing talented team. I want us to BALL OUT against this very tough schedule and TAKE NO PRISONERS and lets see if we have the right or BEST Coordinators we can get. Hope we still have changes we are willing to make if needed to get the job DONE. I see waste and of course like many I just DO NOT understand after all the transcripts for weeks on the WR Quick and his situation and when we are lacking in the reciever department what will it take to EVER get him back on the field?

GO RAMS!!! NO INJURIES!!!

…..

Legend
I was never sold on Ayers as an adequate replacement for JoLonn but I am also not sold that he cant be the guy. Your snap count percentage is surprising to me. He has a different skill set than JoLonn and that may be what the coaches want out of that position so I'll give it some more time before I count him as wasted money. Which isnt alot by todays standards anyway.

My reply to your entire post is simple.....attrition in the NFL happens every year. If we can make our team better, then I'm all for it. What I would caution against is that if you are going to replace a player with another at around the same money then you better get at least, if not more, production and leadership. These boys have been in it together for quite a while and they have a brotherhood. Breaking it up unwisely could do more harm than good.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I am all for getting rid of Cook. Just not worth the price. Drops too many passes, looks like a fumble waiting to happen, especially when he tries to hurdle guys for no reason. Plus, in my view if there is a stud TE there early in next years draft, I would be all for the Rams taking him. If you want to win with a guy like Foles, then you need a big time TE, and preferably one that can also block in the run game.

Long should stay, but at a reduced price. Lauranitus only stays with a big pay cut and one of our 2nds needs to be a big time MLB prospect.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I am all for getting rid of Cook. Just not worth the price. Drops too many passes, looks like a fumble waiting to happen, especially when he tries to hurdle guys for no reason. Plus, in my view if there is a stud TE there early in next years draft, I would be all for the Rams taking him. If you want to win with a guy like Foles, then you need a big time TE, and preferably one that can also block in the run game.

Long should stay, but at a reduced price. Lauranitus only stays with a big pay cut and one of our 2nds needs to be a big time MLB prospect.

He's the Rams all time receiving leader, per season, two years running, as a TE.

He's 7th, among TE's, in the NFL this season for recieving yards after two games.

Don't know what you got until it's gone.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
He would be ok for $2M-3M a year, but I still don't like his hands and in-ability to block. I want a Gronk-like TE. Sure your not going to get a guy as great, but a player like him that can do pretty much anything you ask. A young Jason Whitten type would be perfect..

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I am not in favor of cutting two of our three starting linebackers. I'd keep at least one of them, and you can't judge Ayers on two games. He might just start getting a lot of snaps soon.

Laurinaitis I would be okay with, although really sad. His decline has been ongoing for a little while now.

Even though I hate Cook at times, he's still a very good TE. Not worth cutting to lose that.

Long could happen, but I'd hate it, because he's still a good productive player. See if you can do anything cap wise to keep him before you cut him.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
When it comes to keeping "Valuable" Players on the Team, the Last person I'm going to listen to is a "Bean-Counter!"

fearsomefour

Legend
The only one on the list that would interest me in dumping is Britt.
I am not dumping Long....maybe we can make his number more friendly?

Debacled

Starter
Ok with ditching Cook, the pay has always been too high for him.

Would not get rid of JL and Long. Two of the only guys on the team with a decent amount of on the field experience.

From what I can tell, without even cutting any guys, the Rams are sitting at 110m for next year. Thats way more than enough room to make moves for good FAs (including their own), not that it has worked out at all in the past. No reason to cut guys just to cut guys.

Rainram

Starter
Put me in the camp of wanting to see how this season plays out and evaluate some of their performances over the next several weeks.

Sleepy1711

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Put me in the camp of wanting to see how this season plays out and evaluate some of their performances over the next several weeks.

Yup, it's crazy how ppl are looking at cutting players to save money in the 3rd week of the season.

Can't we just enjoy football while its here?

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
Cook was not brought in to be a blocker. That been said, he has improved. And some of his "drops" aren't really his fault. Now because of the high profile one last year and his reaction to then QB Austin..........people aren't so quick to allow him a bad play now and then. And that he's taking up a huge hunk of change. But the truth to the matter is he hasn't really seen all of the pieces that were supposed to be in place. Who do you double in the red zone if Quick, Britt and Cook are all in the game. We haven't seen that as of yet. Now will we ever see the potential.... (I know after the Bradford years the term "potential" isn't a kind thing to wait on for a Rams fan......)? But we are seeing effort and the guy does stay on the field. Now we simply need some better execution when things do fall into place.........
And I know.......Does that make him worth 8 mil......?

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Having Quick, Britt and Cook out there in the red zone does present problems for opposing defenses because of their size. But you gotta get to the red zone. Did we even run a play in the red zone last week?

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Cook is a frustrating player because of untimely drops an periods of less than enthusiastic play. The caveat is he is a remarkable athlete even in the era of highly athletic TE's. He is a mismatch on most every play.
Here is where it really gets bad, you either pony up a bunch of cash to lure a top TE and we all know how excited FA's were to come to the Lou this past signing season. If you do lure a TE to come you have to go through the pains of teaching them our system. Last but not least you draft a TE high and develop him, I am not at all interested in any of these options especially allocating draft resources to a TE that has to learn the system putting a delay on his impact.
The other players are probably a good call to really assess their price per productivity ratio.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This was a thread I found elsewhere and to add to this list only if during the long season we see the sme injuries and lack of playing time I'm all for adding one more name to make some mad. Yes this season has just started and we face the #4,3 &2 team in a row and things will happen faster than you know. Will we challenge for the division or playoffs? Beat some good teams in the next 3 weeks with some Much Better Offense played and improving of our OL. Will Rodger Saffold help and even lead this bunch grow? If Saffold stays healthy and starts to lead this offensive line ,ESPECIALLY RUN Block with the addition of Todd Gurley to our ranks and some game changing runs. I think these runs will mostly come from up the middle to off tackle. Gurley is known for not needing much of a hole.

Well here I go. IF Saffold goes backwards we have Wichmann who can step up and we don't even need to go hunting for a replacement. Just upgrade our backups. This NO INJURY stuff for two weeks has been awesome! I'm not trying to be a bean counter at all. Just thinking after reading this persons posts where we can improve and have MORE MONEY to resign our own players in FA'cy. We need Greg Z. back and one of our CB's at least. I personally like Tru myself. Wish he grabbed that pick in Washington as his pick against seattle really lit a fire. I still like Hayes when he does what he did week one. Sims may resign a friendly deal. WE MUST IMPROVE OUR LB CORP. Somehow some way. Only if we get a top pick MLB would it be worth replacing JL. JL may prove Tomorrow he IS NOT REPLACEABLE!!! I hope I have to EAT CROW till it comes out my eyes and ears. I love his leadership and know this last week has been pure HELL for him. Somebody has put down some big money on the RAMS to have the line so close at 1 point. I hope those bigtime RAMS fans clean up. I am after Alans pickem title but when it comes to gambling I suc.

Since I believe Fisher is a lock to finish out his Five year initial contract. I see no urgency on a few things this bunch is set up to dominate in 2016 if Healthy and Nick Foles starts to relax and get more comfortable and with a better running game with Gurley his Play action passing may just take off. Wish we knew the mystery surrounding Quick and his quick return to the field for us. I feel very POSITIVE about this team going forward. We are so close. NO INJURIES!!!