Rams head toward draft with fewer chips/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams head toward draft with fewer chips
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/15457/rams-head-toward-draft-with-fewer-chips

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- For most of the past three years, no team has come to the NFL draft poker table with a better hand than the St. Louis Rams. That's what happens when you reap the rewards of a huge trade with the Washington Redskins which yielded additional premium picks in each of those drafts.

But as the Rams begin preparations for this year's draft -- the all-star game season is officially upon us -- their once deep pockets are now filled with the usual amount of currency and a couple of pieces of lint.
===========
2015 NFL DRAFT

NFL DraftRound 1: April 30, time TBA
Rds. 2-3: May 1, TBA
Rds. 4-7: May 2, TBA
Where: Auditorium Theatre of Roosevelt University, Chicago
MORE KEY DATES

Declaration deadline: Jan. 15
2015 Senior Bowl: Jan. 24
2015 Scouting Combine: Feb. 17-23
======

The extra picks from Washington have all been spent and the Rams traded fourth- and sixth-round choices to Tampa Bay in exchange for safety/linebacker Mark Barron. As it stands, the Rams have just five picks in this year's draft though I believe there's a sixth on the way from the 2012 trade they made with New England for receiver Greg Salas. That pick is expected to be a late-round choice, likely a seventh-rounder.

St. Louis could also garner some additional picks in the form of compensatory selections for their free-agent losses a year ago. Any compensatory choices they would garner cannot be traded.

The lack of additional picks also means that should the Rams decide to try to move up for, say, a quarterback, they don't have as much ammunition to do that as they have in the past. General manager Les Snead is quick to point out that trading fourth- and sixth-round picks likely wouldn't preclude a deal because such a trade would probably require future premium picks like the ones the Rams got from Washington in a similar deal.

"It would probably take future picks as well," Snead said. "You won't move up to take long-snapper."

The idea of a move up might be more appealing than sticking around and making a bunch of picks for the Rams this year. Coach Jeff Fisher has already indicated that the early view of this year's draft class is that it's not nearly as deep or talented as last year. Snead echoed those sentiments recently.

"I have reached the point enough to know it’s definitely not as deep as last year," Snead said. "That was a pretty deep draft. This year there are some positions that are probably stronger than last year’s draft, just from a position standpoint."

Snead declined to say what those positions are but early returns from various draft pundits are that the offensive line, wide receiver and pass-rushers are some of the deeper spots in the coming class.

Clearly, the Rams could use help on the offensive line and a top receiver would still be a good get if the Rams could get access to one (and becomes a serious need if they can't retain Kenny Britt).

The draft is still a long ways off and the way the Rams will deploy the picks they have will evolve over that time but it's a process that's already begun.

"From a draft standpoint, what I like to do is over here we are working on needs and what we need, but we better figure out the 2015 draft," Snead said. "It might not match our needs. You line up things to the best of your ability by who you think the best players are at each position. Then you can go in and say that 2015 happens to be pretty deep at this position and you figure out the strategy of ‘Well, we could go there but this guy might be there later’ so it’s not a big difference so let’s wait. You try to strategize that way."

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Rams head toward draft with fewer chips
By Nick Wagoner

....St. Louis could also garner some additional picks in the form of compensatory selections for their free-agent losses a year ago.

St Louis Rams lost UFA's in 2014 who did not retire.
#1-OL Chris Williams to Bills
signed a 4 year / $13,150,000 contract with the Buffalo Bills, including a $3,500,000 signing bonus, $3,500,000 guaranteed, and an annual average salary of $3,287,500.
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/chris-williams/

#2-OL Shelley Smith to Miami
signed a 2 year / $5,500,000 contract with the Miami Dolphins, including a $500,000 signing bonus, $1,250,000 guaranteed, and an annual average salary of $2,750,000.
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/miami-dolphins/shelley-smith/

#3-SS Darian Stewart to Baltimore
signed a 1 year / $1,300,000 contract with the Baltimore Ravens, including a $300,000 signing bonus, $300,000 guaranteed, and an annual average salary of $1,300,000.
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/baltimore-ravens/darian-stewart/

#4-QB Kellen Clemens
Kellen Clemens signed a 2 year / $3,000,000 contract with the San Diego Chargers, including a $645,000 signing bonus, $645,000 guaranteed, and an annual average salary of $1,500,000.
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-diego-chargers/kellen-clemens/

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
If the Rams could get even 7th rd comp picks for Williams and Smith it would be by far their biggest contribution to the Rams.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
If the Rams could get even 7th rd comp picks for Williams and Smith it would be by far their biggest contribution to the Rams.

I have not read up or made myself knowledgeable on this area the draft. I have no ideal how the NFL Draft committee goes about figuring who gets what Draft Comp selections . In the past I have seen wild swings on how this stuff pans out. Anyone how have the smarts in this area have any guesstimations?

I know that those two real nice $$$ UFA contacts on Smith & Williams were a big surprise to me. Looks to me that we should come out with at least 3 Comp selections from the four listed UFA but if they are 6th's or 7th's I have no clue.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
I have not read up or made myself knowledgeable on this area the draft. I have no ideal how the NFL Draft committee goes about figuring who gets what Draft Comp selections . In the past I have seen wild swings on how this stuff pans out. Anyone how have the smarts in this area have any guesstimations?

I know that those two real nice $$$ UFA contacts on Smith & Williams were a big surprise to me.

Yeah on those contracts. The fast's those two guards ever pulled was the pen out of their pockets to sign them.

I have no idea either on why and how the comp picks really work. I read up on them and blah. It's nuts

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Yeah on those contracts. The fast's those two guards ever pulled was the pen out of their pockets to sign them.

I have no idea either on why and how the comp picks really work. I read up on them and blah. It's nuts
Chris Williams after starting 16 games in 2013 ended up playing in only 3 games before he went on the IR. Shelley Smith went to South Beach South Florida & played in 11 games with only 3 starts.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Compensatory picks

In addition to the 32 selections in each of the seven rounds, a total of 32 compensatory picks are awarded to teams that have lost more or better compensatory free agents than they signed in the previous year.[58] Teams that gain and lose the same number of players but lose higher-valued players than they gain also can be awarded a pick, but only in the seventh round, after the other compensatory picks. Compensatory picks cannot be traded, and the placement of the picks is determined by a proprietary formula based on the player's salary, playing time, and postseason honors with his new team, with salary being the primary factor. So, for example, a team that lost a linebacker who signed for $2.5 million per year in free agency might get a sixth-round compensatory pick, while a team that lost a wide receiver who signed for $5 million per year might receive a fourth-round pick.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Football_League_draft

Compensatory picks are awarded each year at the NFL annual meeting which is held at the end of March; typically, about three or four weeks before the draft.

Rams lost four UFA's in 2014.
Chris Williams
Shelley Smith
Darian Stewart
Kellen Clemens

Rams signed five UFA's in 2014
Kenny Britt
Alex Carrington
Shaun Hill
Davin Joseph
Rodger Saffold

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Compensatory picks

In addition to the 32 selections in each of the seven rounds, a total of 32 compensatory picks are awarded to teams that have lost more or better compensatory free agents than they signed in the previous year.[58] Teams that gain and lose the same number of players but lose higher-valued players than they gain also can be awarded a pick, but only in the seventh round, after the other compensatory picks. Compensatory picks cannot be traded, and the placement of the picks is determined by a proprietary formula based on the player's salary, playing time, and postseason honors with his new team, with salary being the primary factor. So, for example, a team that lost a linebacker who signed for $2.5 million per year in free agency might get a sixth-round compensatory pick, while a team that lost a wide receiver who signed for $5 million per year might receive a fourth-round pick.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Football_League_draft

Compensatory picks are awarded each year at the NFL annual meeting which is held at the end of March; typically, about three or four weeks before the draft.

Rams lost four UFA's in 2014.
Chris Williams
Shelley Smith
Darian Stewart
Kellen Clemens

Rams signed five UFA's in 2014
Kenny Britt
Alex Carrington
Shaun Hill
Davin Joseph
Rodger Saffold
Are you sure Saffold counts since he was a Ram last year?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Are you sure Saffold counts since he was a Ram last year?
No. It looks like he would not count Boffo97. But I am so unsure on just how all this balances out. None of these UFA's who we lost, were drafted by the Rams. I am the last member to ask a question on this and expect me to be right in this area.

Rams spent so little on UFA if Saffold was not to count. The four we lost got much larger contracts but only Stewart had a ton of starts.