Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher - Training Camp – August 1, 2014

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher - Training Camp – August 1, 2014
(On what he hopes to get of the scrimmage and set up for tomorrow)

“First off, it’s an experience with fans. It’s an opportunity for them to come down, go inside watch practice,
get close, enjoy the two or three hours of the stuff we have to set up. From a football standpoint, it’s another practice. We’re going to do some live work. We’re in full pads. We’ll finish with, I don’t want to say rookies, but there will be some other younger players in a live tackling scrimmage. But for the most part, we’re continuing with our installation. We’re doing a lot of drills, the two minute, one–on-ones all kinds of different drills out there. Those who haven’t been able to come to the training camp get to see what we do at training camp, we just happen to be moving indoors.”

(On if he uses this scrimmage to do an introductory of what a game day is like)
“No, but it is good for the young guys that haven’t been there-the draft class and we have players that have not played there before. So it’s good to find out where your locker is and how you come in and off the field and where we warm up and do those kinds of things instead of have it be a first time experience for them next weekend.”
(On how the running game looks right now and how much he is going to rely on it)
“Well we’re going to be a runaway football team. But, it’s hard to gage where it is right now. We’ll have a better idea once we get into preseason. We’re getting all kinds of different looks out of our defense, there’s times there’s spaces, there’s times their not. You practice in pads, but they have in their mind protect each other. And so you’re not finishing, you’re not cutting on the backside, you’re not doing those kinds of things, so we’ll have a better idea in a couple weeks.”

(On how CB Brandon McGee has been so far in training camp)
“Well he’s playing outside at corner. He’s getting some nickel shots and of course he picked up where he’s left off on ‘teams.’ Battling through a little sore ankle which was good to see him come back today and he’s got a good chance to play quite a bit this preseason.”
(On T Rodger Saffold leaving practice early)
“Yeah, we’re going to check him out, but the word I got is things are settling down. He’ll be alright.”

Rams Offensive Coordinator Brian Schottenheimer – Training Camp – August 1, 2014
(On how the offense has progressed since OTAs)

“Doing great, really, really excited. You can see they came back ready to work. You can see they came back they knew what we were trying to get done. The retentions have been great. We’re playing fast. So all in all, so far so good, doing well.”
(On if about half of the offense has been installed)
“Yeah probably. Yeah a little bit more than that maybe, but for us again, it’s a review we talk about that all the time. We kind of review by day, but everything’s in when we get to these move periods and stuff. Everything’s kind of in and the guys have done a good job all across the board.”

(On how QB Sam Bradford has performed so far)
“Looks good, looks really good. Throwing the ball well, had some great throws today. That shouldn’t surprise anybody, obviously he’s a very talented, gifted passer. Thrilled he’s ahead of schedule, feels great, looks great, so I’m excited about it.”

(On what facing the Rams defense does for the offense especially
when it’s the 1s vs. the 1s)

“Well, again obviously they give us a lot of trouble just in terms of the multiple looks they’re going to give us. They’ve got a lot of things that you have to prepare for, which is good and we troubleshoot our protections and stuff. Certainly it’s good work across the board. We feel great with where we are and it’s fun to compete against those guys.”

(On what to expect out of the running game this season)

“The running game looks good. Obviously that’s the way we’re built. We’ve always been built that way. Last year, earlier in the year some things got away from us but the shift to the running game is nothing new. That’s what we’re going to be based on—play great defense, run the football, our play-action game comes off of that. Running game looks good. Got a really good young stable of backs. I don’t think I’ve ever been around a group of three, four, five guys with this much ability. So the competition, across the board at every spot, but certainly that’s one that jumps out at you.”
(On how RB Tre Mason looks)
“He’s doing a really good job. Most importantly, mentally he’s done a great job, picking it up. We ask a lot of our backs in protection, in some of things we do even in the passing game. Done a really good job. Coming from a situation where he didn’t do a lot of that in college, he’s done a great job.”

(On how it is to see the first string offensive together for some reps and the movement of players amongst the positions on the line)
“Sure. Well, that’s the big thing. We’re going to move guys around. Again, we’re trying to create competition, putting (OL) Greg (Robinson) in different spots, (OL) Rodger (Saffold) in different spots. But, it was nice to look out there today and see those five guys. They’ve been working hard. The communication now is so much easier for them. We make adjustments, they make adjustments, make calls. That just comes from playing together and Greg’s done a good job of picking it up. He gets some help in there between (OT) Jake (Long) and (C) Scott (Wells) from time to time. He’s done a nice job picking it up.”

(On Robinson playing between Jake Long and Scott Wells)
“As long as he can listen, he’ll be in good shape.”

(On if Robinson is a good listener)
“He is a good listener, yes he is. If they told him to jump offsides he’d probably jump offsides.”

(On if the older guys told Robinson to jump offsides Friday)
“Yeah, he did that today. Maybe they did, maybe we’ll grade those other guys down. He’s doing a really good job. You’ve seen him grow the last couple practices. It’s tough, especially again, we’re talking about with some of the looks we’re going to see from the defense each and every day but he’s done a really good job for us.”

(On if he’s looking for anything in particular at FanFest)
“No, I don’t think so. Again, I always like to see the live scrimmage at the end. Again, I don’t know how many of the vets will get that. It’s usually a lot of the younger guys. We just want to keep building. We’ve put three really good practices, today, our last couple days together, so build on that. Again, we’re just kind of going through the building blocks of what we can be. We’re a way bigger team on the perimeter. That helps, gives Sam some big targets. We’re extremely fast, and you’re seeing the ball pushed down the field. Guys are making plays, so continue to do that. Again the scrimmage, it’ll be fun to see these guys play real football.”

(On if WR Kenny Britt is helping WR Brian Quick’s progress)
“Yeah, well I think Brian Quick’s probably had the best spring and training camp of any of the receivers. I think Brian Quick is playing his tail off right now, but yes, you put Kenny in there and Kenny’s obviously got the experience, got the size. But again, just the thing about Kenny is he brings his energy every day and that helps the group. We got guys that love to play and compete. When you get (WR) Sted (Stedman Bailey) and (WR) Tave (Tavon Austin) and (WR) Quickie (Brian Quick), Kenny in the huddle with (TE Jared) Cook and those guys, it’s fun. There’s a lot of energy. They have a lot of passion for the game. It’s been fun to watch those guys kind of get excited for the other guy when they make the play.”
(On if Britt has calmed down)
“He has not, no I don’t think so. He loves football and I think his abs look a little bit better. I think so and he’s got that shirt, the half shirt that he likes to wear out here, but he’s doing a good job. He’s showing off.”

(On TE Jared Cook’s consistency)
“Well, last year I think the biggest thing with him is he had a few drops. This year, playing really fast. Just creating separation, playing physical. You even notice it in the running game. He’s getting up underneath people, he’s driving, driving his feet, getting movement. Again having a good camp, but again if he catches a few more balls last year, again I think he’s not going to be satisfied but he would’ve felt better about the year. But again a guy we expect to have a huge year for us.”

Rams Defensive Coordinator Gregg Williams – Training Camp – August 1, 2014
(On how the defense has progressed)

“They’ve taken another step, and the reason they’ve taken another step is because the verbiage and the language is starting to become a little bit more memory based. They have some familiarity there. It’s been fun to see them come back in really good shape, and it’s fun to see them adapt to (Head Coach) Jeff’s (Fisher) schedules. Jeff’s done a really good job of setting the schedule for recovery, setting the schedule for a lot of reps. Now we’re getting a lot more reps than we got in OTAs because we were under such time constraints and everything that you have to do in the offseason. We’ve taken some steps. It’s still a process, and they’ve done a very good job.”

(On how far along his knowledge is regarding the best way to use his personnel)
“Improving, but it’s not there yet. It’s improving. One of the things, in the spring, I let the assistant coaches set all the depth charts. Obviously they set them the way I like them to set. I let them. I didn’t have any discussion with them. But as soon as we got back here, I spent the entire time, while all the players were away, I was here every day. I was here Saturday, Sunday, Fourth of July, going back through and getting ahead of a lot of things. Watching films and studying people that I don’t have time to study once the season starts. But the big thing, I went back and re-watched every single practice, every single drill. I’m a lot more familiar with these guys, but until the pads came on, that was the next step. And until we play a preseason game, that’ll be the next step. It’s ever changing. It’s moving on, but I’m getting a lot more familiar with them.”

(On if he missed the fireworks on the Fourth of July)
“I didn’t even watch any fireworks. How about that? I was hanging out here, and the week right before we started camp I went back to my little hometown and had a great week with my foundation for kids. We had record attendance and we set record profits. It was a good week, so I had to come back to camp to rest.”

(On how long his foundation has been doing their golf tournament)
“It was the 10 year anniversary of it. We went over $1 million given back to those kids a few years ago, but we’re on record pace to give them the second million a lot faster than we did the first million. It was really good. It’s always going to be my hometown, and I’m a sucker for kids. I’ve always been a sucker for kids. There are people in that hometown that took up for me and helped me a lot of the ways and mentored me. It’s important to go back and give back. I love the fact that I’ve had the opportunity to give back a lot here in St. Louis. I’ve spoken a lot here locally to a lot of different groups and stuff and gotten out and met a lot of people here. But I can’t tell you – and again, it’s not something I’m just saying just to appease people – I’m happy as all get out to be back in Missouri. I’m happy to be here, familiar in the Midwest and everything. The fact that I’m that close to the kids that are in Excelsior Springs helps me a lot, but the kids here, too. It’s been a good summer.”

(On the reception he receives when he speaks publically)
“It’s been very good, very well received. They’ve known of me a lot of different ways, a lot of different times. It’s fun to see a lot of my old high school coaches, a lot of the guys that I coached against and with in high school. I’ve had my college coaches, they were down here a few days ago. It’s been a big reunion for me to get around all these people that I’ve been around when I was growing up. The fact that they get a chance to come in here and see how they do things here with a young team, there’s a lot of similarities going on here. They’ve enjoyed that process and they’ve enjoyed the fact that we’ve gotten back together again.”

(On if the Rams are expecting him to ‘work some magic’ with the defense)
“I tell the players all the time, and I’ll tell you guys: there’s not going to be any magic dust. There’s not going to be any Lebron James magic dust. That’s not going to happen. What’s going to happen is these players are going to play aggressively. They’re playing for somebody and with somebody that’s on the same page as them. Nobody’s going to hold them back. We’re going to go and we’re going to play aggressive. If you want to make sure that you always have a fail-safe excuse about making a mistake, make it aggressively. That’s been the fun part of seeing them all of the sudden be so robotic. They’re a talented group of players, but I want them to play instinctively. I want the coaches to coach instinctively. Jeff’s allowing that to happen, and I’m happy that he’s allowing that to happen because that’s the way I’ve always been.”

(On if the personnel he has here will allow him to be creative)
“A lot more freedom with the respect of doing the same attacking things with less people. When I say that, all the stops I’ve had on the way, I’ve never been afraid to bring lots of people, but we can still do some of the same things and bring less people. Our secondary is doing a really good job, taking the next step, growing with the ways we want to have them play. And with this front, this is the best front I’ve had a chance to be a part of. Not only the first front, it’s the second front. Not only the second front, it’s the third front. They’re coached by who I think is one of the best d-line coaches in the league, and I’ve been blessed to have a lot of really good d-line coaches. Here again, they grasp the game the way Mike Waufle wants it done. That’s also a big part of taking the next step, Mike Waufle and I getting on the same page. He has and we have.”

(On what he wants to see in the scrimmage Saturday)
“We’re on an installation phase. (Offensive Coordinator) Brian Schottenheimer and I are hooked up together, working together on Day 1, Day 2, Day 3 and taking the step to make sure that we’re getting the things installed that we have to have in at the first part of the season, for the first month of the season. Making sure we have all those things done. We’re not really worrying about any scouting reports or any of those things. We’re just trying to take the next step of getting everything done now so it’s familiar under stress when the season starts.”

(On what advice he gives young players who are fighting for roster spots)
“We are young. That’s fantastic. We’re going to pick the 53 best players. The 53 best players when we start the season are who we’re going to march with. This is a production-based business, and it’s a great game, but it’s a production business. The people who are out here giving us a chance to produce at a higher level, we’re challenged in the NFC West. We’re challenged in every single game in the National Football League. There are no homecoming games. Everybody, every game is a tough game, but in our division, it’s a tough division. So the fact that these young guys, they’re all young really on our side of the ball, and really the whole team, the 53 best guys will get a shot to go into war when we start the season.”

(On DT Michael Brockers)
“I think he’s got a lot of growth. I don’t know if you guys have seen how lean he is since he’s come back. It’s amazing how much faster, quicker, how much he hasn’t lost any power at all. He’s leaner. He has tremendous growth. I think he’s just scratched the surface. He has really, really picked up the way Mike Waufle wants things done and as it grows with the way I want things done. I think you’re going to see another step in him. I really do. I’m excited about him.”

(On how the young secondary is progressing)
“They’re taking the next step. Again, in the practice settings right now, we haven’t seen the live bullets. We’re doing a lot of things from protection mannerisms and they’re having to do the daily installation so there’s not a lot of freedom for them to play like they’re going to play in a game setting. So the next step for them is playing in a preseason game so now we can see them adapt and improvise and use the tools that we’ve provided them. When we get ready to start each day, we give them a set group of parameters that we want them to use that day so they get on film so they’re starting to build confidence and we’re starting to teach them. They’re taking the right steps and they’ve done a lot of really, really good things. But until we get into the live competition so that we can see them handle the heat of a real game and see that they can tackle in space, that’s going to be the next step.”