Rams have some intriguing future starter candidates, huh?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
woods not so pricey right now, 7 mil for 5 years. Not so much for a #2 wide receiver. Let Reynolds learn and earn his spurs
train

Yeah it's not bad at all. But i think he only had one year guaranteed. If the rams want to walk away from him they could.

Who knows, they may want to keep Sammy and woods and let tavon walk. Hope they can keep them all.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
We're just now FINALLY enjoying an embarrassment of riches at the wideout position and some are considering trading Watkins??!!!

Even if/when Reynolds comes on, there is no way you trade Watkins. Aside from the capital we gave up to get him, the guy does things to defenses other than just catch the ball.

It's time this team finally allocates its cap correctly to our young, budding stars, Watkins INCLUDED!!!

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Speaking from where the Rams depth appears today, I keep the entire offense together for 2018, including Austin. His value as a change of pace RB & receiver exceeds his $5.mil in dead CAP money that it would cost to lose him, and i'm not sure he's tradable based on current salary and stats. 2019 is another story, especially if we can develop a guy like Justin Davis or another. Had Lance Dunbar proven to be a cheaper & more successful free agent pick-up, perhaps talk of moving Austin would make more sense, but Austin is a good blocker and the opposition must always account for him when he is on the field. My only potential additions on offense relate to OL depth, whether Sullivan remains healthy & how new guys like Blythe, Neary & Lucas stack up when the opportunities arise ... and where the hell is Donnal and why hasn't any media asked about him ?

On defense, my basic premise is similar to many already presented here. Quinn is far too expensive to become a rotational player only on obvious passing downs, and he's been a liability for our rush defense. Quinn & Barwin are ranked # 98 and # 101 overall for edge rushers this season by PFF, and we can see why. Barron & Ogletree are ranked at # 55 & # 73 overall for our interior, so if decent improvement doesn't come before the BYE, we should see some significant room for more rotational options during the second half of the season. Ogletree is rapidly getting into a tough bargaining position for his next contract as he enters free agency following this season, and Barron is already earning $11.mil this year and is scheduled to make another $10.mil next, so his dead money CAP hit of $3.mil for 2018 is looking like it could be a way out. And Quinn's dead money hit will fall beneath $1.mil. in 2018. I'd like to see Ebukam start ahead of Barwin fairly soon, and increase snaps for Longacre, Littleton & Hager, ... we may need to assume our 2018 free agency and draft will heavily lean on these positions as well as at CB in an attempt to replace soon to be future free agent Tru Johnson. Of course, all this is strictly conjecture at this point as Wade is the point man for getting the most out of what we have, but pushing the right players to excel when moving from a 4 - 3 Base D to a 3 -4 may require some personnel adjustments as few thought it could all be done successfully in a single year. Both Ogletree & Barron were never better than when serving as WLB'ers for the 4 - 3, so maybe trying to push a square box thru a round hole isn't the only answer, ... still, there are 12 more games in the regular season to see whether these guys can step it up a few notches, we'll just have to wait & see how it plays out. As far as the DL goes, with Brockers moving over and taking Westbrooks' snaps and Smart starting at NT, hopefully we have found our final front 3 starting combination going forward. As long as we're at it, lets start getting more snaps for J.Johnson, Alexander is failing at SS and JJ is likely his eventual replacement, hopefully sooner than later. It's a bit strange thinking of the Rams offense as basically a finished product while pondering how our defensive moves will address the next chapter.

The Rams are currently scheduled to have some $50.mil in available CAP for 2018, then add another $10.mil+ increase to the nearly automatic annual NFL CAP rise from TV revenue, ... if Barron & Quinn were to become CAP casualties following this year, imagine our team with nearly $77 - $80.mil in available CAP entering the 2018 free agency period. Re-signing Donald (who is already scheduled to receive his near $7.mil. 5'th year option salary), both he and Sammy Watkins suddenly look like an easy slam dunk to get under a new contract with PLENTY of $$$ to spare. jmo.

Last edited:

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
We're just now FINALLY enjoying an embarrassment of riches at the wideout position and some are considering trading Watkins??!!!

Even if/when Reynolds comes on, there is no way you trade Watkins. Aside from the capital we gave up to get him, the guy does things to defenses other than just catch the ball.

It's time this team finally allocates its cap correctly to our young, budding stars, Watkins INCLUDED!!!

I don’t remember any posts on here about trading Watkins. You can’t really trade a guy that’s going to be an FA in a couple months. You’d get a late round pick. We gave up more.

The only trade talk I’ve seen in this thread, is about Robert Woods.

Ram65

Legend
upload_2017-10-5_11-4-55.png
IMO, yes. You let Woods go after 2018 (maybe trade him).

Yeah it's not bad at all. But i think he only had one year guaranteed. If the rams want to walk away from him they could.

Who knows, they may want to keep Sammy and woods and let tavon walk. Hope they can keep them all.

Rams would not take a cap hit cutting/trading Woods after 2018 so I get the Rams have options. Why they would want to is the big question. He is just hitting his prime and getting a rapport with Goff. He is a steal @ 5M in 2019 and 6M in 2020. The Rams have a chance to have Woods, Watkins, Kupp, Gurley and Goff play together for a least four years without breaking the bank. I like Reynald too but, he won't cost much and could be a valuable fourth WR.

Robert Woods signed a 5 year, $34,000,000 contract with the Los Angeles Rams, including $15,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $6,800,000. In 2017, Woods will earn a base salary of $3,000,000 and a roster bonus of $4,000,000, while carrying a cap hit of $7,000,000 and a dead cap value of $10,000,000.

CONTRACT TERMS:5 yr(s) / $34,000,000

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-rams/robert-woods-12322/

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
View attachment 21971

Rams would not take a cap hit cutting/trading Woods after 2018 so I get the Rams have options. Why they would want to is the big question. He is just hitting his prime and getting a rapport with Goff. He is a steal @ 5M in 2019 and 6M in 2020. The Rams have a chance to have Woods, Watkins, Kupp, Gurley and Goff play together for a least four years without breaking the bank. I like Reynald too but, he won't cost much and could be a valuable fourth WR.

Robert Woods signed a 5 year, $34,000,000 contract with the Los Angeles Rams, including $15,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $6,800,000. In 2017, Woods will earn a base salary of $3,000,000 and a roster bonus of $4,000,000, while carrying a cap hit of $7,000,000 and a dead cap value of $10,000,000.

CONTRACT TERMS:5 yr(s) / $34,000,000

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-rams/robert-woods-12322/

If Reynolds develops into a guy you can't keep off the field, it makes sense to move Woods. You can gain an asset and shed cap. But we'll cross that bridge if we get to it.

Ram65

Legend
If Reynolds develops into a guy you can't keep off the field, it makes sense to move Woods. You can gain an asset and shed cap. But we'll cross that bridge if we get to it.

That's true if he develops that much. Nice problem to have. It will be interesting as Woods is a core leader McVay brought in. I wonder what message deleting him from the roster after two seasons would send to the team. He would have some trade value.