Rams have some intriguing future starter candidates, huh?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Players that appear to be potential future starters? Maybe as soon as next year? Some possibly even later this year?

In no particular order...

Everett. Just a matter of time, maybe by midseason?
Reynolds. Gonna get more and more snaps, no question.
Johnson. Maybe by next year? Both Joyner and Alexander are not expected to be extended.

These 3 guys have future starter written all over themselves.

But there may be a few other surprises waiting in the wings, too.

I see a possible opening for Quinn’s spot. Maybe more and more this year and certainly by next year unless he really gets his season turned around.

Same for Barwin’s spot. It’s only been 4 games, but I expected more. Maybe Wade got his D “fixed” at halftime of the Cowboy game?

Is Ogletree gonna be an ILB next year? Or even be extended beyond this year? Looking kinda iffy up to this point, huh?

Those last 3 players appear vulnerable for next year with the Rams. Anybody on our roster capable of replacing any or all of them? I dunno.

But I’m sure that the Ram brain trust is all over these situations, and then some.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wouldn't expect Alexander to be extended the way he's played. But McVay and Wade love Joyner.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I haven't gone back and looked but based on just watching that game live and sort of paying attention, Quinn was moved around and most of the snaps probably went to Longacre at ROLB. So Quinn sort of looks like a depth rotation guy right now but yeah gonna have to go back and see.

As has been mentioned around here a few times by myself and others, I'd like to see Ebukam worked in more at ILB. Sub him for both those guys on some run downs. I know he's an edge guy, but he's got the physicality I think we are going to need in one of those two spots and might be athletic enough to work on the coverage side while he's training up on the inside.

But overall re: the front seven you have to have good options on depth to sit guys and our options are very thin. And the defense has started to play better, too, so in a few weeks this type of conversation might look very different.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
Was just thinking like why the hell would we not be interested in resigning the current #4 Safety in the NFL?

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
I wouldn't expect Alexander to be extended the way he's played. But McVay and Wade love Joyner.

100% AGREED!!!

I've watched our games over and over, and Alexander has been taking terrible angles and showing terrible coverage recognition. I've seen him late on plays and miss open field tackles. YUCK

We must keep Joyner and either sign someone like Ward next off-season or promote Johnson.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Both Joyner and Alexander are not expected to be extended.
Where are you getting this? I can see Alexander needing to step up in order to keep his job but Joyner has been playing really well until his injury.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
I can see the Rams signing a bigger vet FA ILB and moving Ogletree back outside.

Didn't Ogletree used to play as a 3-4 ILB in Georgia? Surprised he's struggling back in his roots unless success as a NFL 3-4 ILB hardly translates to 3-4 ILB in the SEC. Gonna give him the benefit of the doubt though considering he's showed glaring mistakes as a rookie and his first few games in Williams's scheme only to improve from there.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I can see Ebukam and Price both getting starter jobs by next year.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
He will be resigned....and moved to ILB.

tenor.gif

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
A pretty impressive draft overall. 6 of the 8 picks are on the field taking snaps, and more than a few are either making big plays or getting a significant amount of playing time

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

This^ John Johnson will be starting next year, if not this year for Alexander and I could see them extending Joyner and being set at Safety for a while.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Too soon to tell...much like Tavon...and after further review...I liked Tavon's game on Sunday. Guy was making an impact....

And I always said....he's a bad ass tailback.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I'm confident in Tanzel Smart, actually. He could be a long-term starter at nose tackle for us.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Also, Samson Ebukam and Ejuan Price should be getting more snaps. Quinn has been a complete nonfactor, and Barwin isn't much better.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
This is probably blasphemy, but if Reynolds starts getting more time and can make plays downfield, do you still break the bank for Watkins if he is expecting to be paid top WR money?

With an offensive minded headcoach and the fact that they traded a #2 pick for him, they probsbly will, but long-term it might not be the right move.