Rams have met with OT/G Forrest Lamp twice. Could he be the pick in the 2nd round?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Where would you play Forrest Lamp?

• Total voters

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Rams have met with OT/G Forrest Lamp twice. Could he be the pick in the 2nd round?
227364_a02df07775214d3cbbce86c1ec7830a5~mv2_d_4440_2960_s_4_2.webp

https://www.downtownrams.com/single...p-twice-Could-he-be-the-pick-in-the-2nd-round

One of our early pre-draft crushes we wrote about (here) Forrest Lamp has gained a ton of traction as a potential first round pick. It also appears that the Rams really seem to be interested in Lamp.

The Rams met with Lamp back during the Senior Bowl and he apparently started to shoot up draft boards during that time. The Rams put a lot of stock in the Senior Bowl . . . mainly general manager Les Snead so this could mean something. On top of the Senior Bowl though, the Rams privately worked out the Western Kentucky offensive lineman. They join a list of two other teams: Los Angeles Chargers and Atlanta Falcons who have also met with Lamp multiple times.

Lamp, I compared to Pro Bowl guard Zack Martin. Martin is a player that played tackle and because of his shorter arms he was forced to slide inside at guard. Many believe that is Lamp's fate, but quite honestly if the Rams are this interested it makes me think he could play inside to start and maybe play outside as insurance for Greg Robinson or Andrew Whitworth. One thing you notice after consistently watching and researching prospects is that draft experts love to throw OT's at guard. Lamp I think is another sign of that "clumping" we often see come draft time. When watching him against Alabama's top edge rushers in Tim Williams and Ryan Anderson he really holds his own. Lamp was one of the top offensive tackles in all of football at the college level so in this writers opinion it's a little lazy to just say he's only going to be a guard.

At the combine Lamp showed off some serious athleticism that would make me believe he could be dominant in getting to the second level and acting as a convoy for Todd Gurley. Here are his numbers according to the NFL combine:

Height: 6-4
Weight: 309
40 yard dash: 5.00 sec
Bench Press: 34 reps
Vertical: 27.5 inches
Broad Jump: 111.0 inches
3 Cone: 7.55 sec
20 yard shuttle: 4.62 sec

The same experts that throw him at guard say that he doesn't have the NFL strength which the 34 reps shows is completely untrue. Lamp is just a well-rounded prospect that can play tackle. He may need to start off at guard but this was a kid that started four straight years protecting the blind spot and did a real nice job.

Here he is getting some serious love from Pro Football Focus.

View: https://twitter.com/PFF_College/status/823912902524600321

Here is Lamp against a top five 2018 prospect in LSU EDGE Arden Key

Forget about the Alabama game, check out this game in which he puts a guy with more talent than the two Alabama edge rushers combined in his place. Lamp honestly looks like a mystery box in this draft. By that I mean he can realistically play every position on the line.

Listen to the above clip. Not only are the Rams listed as a landing spot for Lamp, but Daniel Jeremiah of NFL Network believes Lamp can be a center at the next level and so if he moves all way inside to center he would be filling a need and would likely make the Rams an exciting and highly intriguing offensive line. Steve Smith even said during the combine that Lamp can be your franchise. Lamp is one of the most unique cases for this year's NFL draft. The crazy thing to keep in mind about Lamp is that if teams view him as that guy that can play every position it may devalue players like Ethan Pocic from LSU, Pat Elflein from Ohio State and Tyler Orlosky from West Virginia and force centers further down the board which ultimately if the Rams miss out on the Lamp sweepstakes there will be higher value guys for the taking later in the draft.

How special is Lamp? Could he fall to the Rams in the second round? Is he as good as gone? We ask you Rams fans! You tell us your thoughts on Forrest Lamp. Is it worth him starting at tackle first? Is it worth moving him to guard or center? We want to get your thoughts.

Sportsed

Pro Bowler
Lamp's a 1st rounder, arguably the best ol in this draft......would we move up to get him, and what would it cost? No doubt, he'd be a definite starter day one somewhere along the ol. Very intriguing info....thanks for posting.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
If he is there in the 2nd when we pick, you run up to the podium as fast as possible. If a trade up to the late 1st doesn't cost a lot, I would be fine with that. He would be our center for the next decade, and a damn good one at that.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Lamp's a 1st rounder, arguably the best ol in this draft......would we move up to get him, and what would it cost? No doubt, he'd be a definite starter day one somewhere along the ol. Very intriguing info....thanks for posting.
You're very welcome. I agree but every year there is that one guy that slips through the cracks that is a CLEAR first rounder. Let's hope Lamp does. The Rams appear to be interested. I wanted to bring more media into my articles so you will start to see that especially now that I figured out how to get them to post on here :D . . . Him and Feeney are going to crush the center market if they do in fact embrace the role of playing center.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
If he is there in the 2nd when we pick, you run up to the podium as fast as possible. If a trade up to the late 1st doesn't cost a lot, I would be fine with that. He would be our center for the next decade, and a damn good one at that.
As I look at it this is exactly what people thought we were getting with Barrett Jones. However, it goes to show you the school doesn't make the player. With Lamp he was one of the key cogs to bringing success to WKU. Remember Barrett Jones was a center but they said he can play every position? Lamp can but he's way more athletic and more productive. We took Barrett in the 4th Lamp would have to break the law to fall to the 4th.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
As I look at it this is exactly what people thought we were getting with Barrett Jones. However, it goes to show you the school doesn't make the player. With Lamp he was one of the key cogs to bringing success to WKU. Remember Barrett Jones was a center but they said he can play every position? Lamp can but he's way more athletic and more productive. We took Barrett in the 4th Lamp would have to break the law to fall to the 4th.
Only difference was Jones was coming off a bad injury that took a very long time to heal and once it was he got hurt again. I agree lamp is way more athletic. I think a healthy Lamp is going to be very very good.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN

Ram65

Legend
I mentioned in another thread, that if he dropped some in round 1 the Rams could move up to get him Trader Les and Company may see enough value in him to make the move. I voted guard because I think they would want a OC that has been a OC and knows line calls and use to snapping up close and in shot gun.

TexasRam

Legend
He's not making it out of the top 25 picks. I guarantee that. May go In top 15.

If he falls to around 25 I would definitely trade up. It would pay HUGE dividens.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
I mentioned in another thread, that if he dropped some in round 1 the Rams could move up to get him Trader Les and Company may see enough value in him to make the move. I voted guard because I think they would want a OC that has been a OC and knows line calls and use to snapping up close and in shot gun.
That's a fair point. Just hoping he falls man.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
He's not making it out of the top 25 picks. I guarantee that. May go In top 15.

If he falls to around 25 I would definitely trade up. It would pay HUGE dividens.
Yeah it's not likely but recent mocks have him falling to the later end of the first. Have hope maybe someone takes Bolles and pushes Lamp down the board.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
He could definitely play center....But he won't fall out of the first. And we don't have necessary assets to acquire such a talent. Maybe if we can trade Tru....

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
But the only problem is ...... We all know ...... there is NO WAY he'll be there in the 2nd Round and I don't see the Rams trading up for an OG/Center!

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Please, please, oh please...

No tradeup for Lamp. Or for anybody else, for that matter.

We need to let this draft come to us, dammit! A "1st rounder" will fall to us at #37. Probably several.

We need every single one of our picks in this deep draft.

Hell, a modest trade down from #37 would make a ton of sense, tbh.

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
I don't know.... if some how Cory Davis falls into the mid 20s (health and inability to work out before draft).... I'd be willing to trade up for him...lol but that's dreaming....anyway....whichever way our leadership takes us this year ..... I'm on board with..... and I'm excited to see which way that is..... ;)

Go Rams........ ;)

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
Oh and if Lamp was the pick... he is a stud...... I picked center...maybe they are looking to trade Saffold. ......but again... which ever way our new team brass feels..... I'm good with..... ;)

Go Rams...... ;)

Ramrocket

Hating 49ers and Seahawks from afar
Name
Rod
If he falls that far, I don't see him getting past the Seahawks to be honest.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Oh and if Lamp was the pick... he is a stud...... I picked center...maybe they are looking to trade Saffold. ......but again... which ever way our new team brass feels..... I'm good with..... ;)

Go Rams...... ;)
For real man! Horns up!

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
I've been on the Lamp train since the Senior Bowl and would be so thrilled if he landed in LA.! It would require a blockbuster trade up since he's expected to be a mid 1st round selection, but I wouldn't mind since I truly believe he's the surest bet in this draft to be a perennial pro bowler, either at center or guard. For me, he's too rich in talent to be plugged in at center; throw him in at LG and forgetaboutitttt.