Rams have free-agent work to do on defensive line/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Rams have free-agent work to do on defensive line
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...-have-free-agent-work-to-do-on-defensive-line

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- The free-agent market is scheduled to open March 9 and teams may begin negotiations with those poised to hit the market beginning March 7. We'll count down to that with a position-by-position look at what the Los Angeles Rams have in place, who is set to hit the market, what they might need and who might fit the bill.

Position: Defensive line

Under contract: Robert Quinn, Aaron Donald, Michael Brockers, Matt Longacre, Ethan Westbrooks, Doug Worthington, Louis Trinca-Pasat.

Pending free agents: Chris Long (released), William Hayes, Eugene Sims, Nick Fairley.

COMINGS AND GOINGS

What's needed: The defensive line has been this team's focus for most of the Jeff Fisher regime. The Rams have spent plenty of draft picks and large sums of money to make that group one of the best in the league. Now they find themselves in something of a transitional period with their front four. They already said goodbye to Long and they have three key pieces to their defensive line rotation set to become unrestricted free agents in Hayes, Sims and Fairley. From that trio, Hayes would appear to be the primary target as a likely replacement for Long. Hayes filled that role more than capably over the past two seasons with Long battling injuries. Sims also has proved a reliable fill-in, stepping in for Quinn last year and working in a rotation for most of his career. Fairley played well in his one season with the Rams as the primary backup to Donald and Brockers. Longacre, Westbrooks and Trinca-Pasat also have flashed potential as long-term depth. All told, the Rams need a starter to replace Long and some bodies for depth behind the front four.

Possible fits: There's no shortage of big names set to hit the market on the defensive line, led by Denver's Malik Jackson, who figures to strike it rich in the opening hours of the market. Also at end, the New York Giants' Jason Pierre-Paul and Robert Ayers, Miami's Derrick Shelby, Carolina's Charles Johnson and Buffalo's Mario Williams are all poised to see what's out there. Among defensive tackles, the group is solid as well with names like Kansas City's Jaye Howard, the New York Jets' Damon Harrison, San Francisco's Ian Williams and Washington's Terrance Knighton available. For the Rams, keeping Hayes is the first and most important domino. He and Fisher are close and it would be a surprise if he landed with any other team. Sims also would like to remain a Ram and likely won't cost that much to bring back. If the Rams do somehow miss on Hayes, they could be active in pursuing a free agent. If they keep Hayes, don't be surprised if they also start planning for the future behind him in the draft. As for the interior, the Rams like the potential of Trinca-Pasat and Westbrooks (who can play outside as well) but probably need an option who can come in and play reliably right away. Bringing Fairley back isn't out of the question, though he's expected to get a bigger deal than the Rams can offer. If Fairley departs, don't be surprised if the Rams seek a similar player to Fairley circa 2015. Which is to say an experienced tackle with something to prove on a relatively cheap one-year deal. Either way, look for the Rams to be active in retaining and tweaking their defensive line this offseason.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Re-sign Hayes and Sims. Draft a DT. Explore DE in free agency.

Hayes needs to be a priority behind retaining Mark Barron.

London59

Rookie
Name
London59
Rams have free-agent work to do on defensive line
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...-have-free-agent-work-to-do-on-defensive-line

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- The free-agent market is scheduled to open March 9 and teams may begin negotiations with those poised to hit the market beginning March 7. We'll count down to that with a position-by-position look at what the Los Angeles Rams have in place, who is set to hit the market, what they might need and who might fit the bill.

Position: Defensive line

Under contract: Robert Quinn, Aaron Donald, Michael Brockers, Matt Longacre, Ethan Westbrooks, Doug Worthington, Louis Trinca-Pasat.

Pending free agents: Chris Long (released), William Hayes, Eugene Sims, Nick Fairley.

COMINGS AND GOINGS

What's needed: The defensive line has been this team's focus for most of the Jeff Fisher regime. The Rams have spent plenty of draft picks and large sums of money to make that group one of the best in the league. Now they find themselves in something of a transitional period with their front four. They already said goodbye to Long and they have three key pieces to their defensive line rotation set to become unrestricted free agents in Hayes, Sims and Fairley. From that trio, Hayes would appear to be the primary target as a likely replacement for Long. Hayes filled that role more than capably over the past two seasons with Long battling injuries. Sims also has proved a reliable fill-in, stepping in for Quinn last year and working in a rotation for most of his career. Fairley played well in his one season with the Rams as the primary backup to Donald and Brockers. Longacre, Westbrooks and Trinca-Pasat also have flashed potential as long-term depth. All told, the Rams need a starter to replace Long and some bodies for depth behind the front four.

Possible fits: There's no shortage of big names set to hit the market on the defensive line, led by Denver's Malik Jackson, who figures to strike it rich in the opening hours of the market. Also at end, the New York Giants' Jason Pierre-Paul and Robert Ayers, Miami's Derrick Shelby, Carolina's Charles Johnson and Buffalo's Mario Williams are all poised to see what's out there. Among defensive tackles, the group is solid as well with names like Kansas City's Jaye Howard, the New York Jets' Damon Harrison, San Francisco's Ian Williams and Washington's Terrance Knighton available. For the Rams, keeping Hayes is the first and most important domino. He and Fisher are close and it would be a surprise if he landed with any other team. Sims also would like to remain a Ram and likely won't cost that much to bring back. If the Rams do somehow miss on Hayes, they could be active in pursuing a free agent. If they keep Hayes, don't be surprised if they also start planning for the future behind him in the draft. As for the interior, the Rams like the potential of Trinca-Pasat and Westbrooks (who can play outside as well) but probably need an option who can come in and play reliably right away. Bringing Fairley back isn't out of the question, though he's expected to get a bigger deal than the Rams can offer. If Fairley departs, don't be surprised if the Rams seek a similar player to Fairley circa 2015. Which is to say an experienced tackle with something to prove on a relatively cheap one-year deal. Either way, look for the Rams to be active in retaining and tweaking their defensive line this offseason.[/QUOTE

Hayes is the one to keep on the d line free agents. The rest come down to price. If the market demands to much, draft their replacement. If their price is reasonable, hopefully there is enough money.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Re-sign Hayes and Sims. Draft a DT. Explore DE in free agency.Hayes needs to be a priority behind retaining Mark Barron.

How long would you resign Sims & Hayes for?

I am all in with you on the drafting of a talented NT type to replace Nick Fairley of 2015 & Kendall Langford of 2014. The need to keep Brockers & Donald fresh is key. The element of having two DT's behind Donald is a good position for Snead. Those interior DL'ers are 2nd yr. Louis Tricant-Pasat & 3rd yr. Ethan Westbrooks. Both appear to be quick healthy roaring to go types & we should see them a lot in pre season.

RDE Eugene Sims should be a easy resign in comparison to Wm Hayes but we never know but with Rob Quinn waving a large medical flag going into the 2016 season, would make Sims a serious need. Sims however does not offer much in a pass rush now. Sims saw more action in 2015 & finished more games than the stats would indicate but sacks were scarce.

If we were to find a pass rushing DE in free agency how long would you sign him for? I would prefer that Westbrooks & Longacre get most of the action in place of Long & Hayes @ LDE & then seek a pass rushing DE in the draft to back up Quinn @ RDE.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
I hope they resign Hayes and and Draft a DT and a DE. I like Westy to take Sims spot in the rotation and hopefully a Draft pick will figure into the mix. I really liked Fairley in the rotation, but he's gonna make some money starting somewhere else. I like LTP a lot and can't wait to see him again in preseason. I hope whoever they bring in has the build to back and play Brockers position. He's the only big run plugger the Rams have besides fringe guy Doug Worthington.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
I'm really curious about what the future of Longacre and Trinca Pasat hold with this team?

Longacre reminded me a lot of Chris Long (at the time of the past couple of seasons, no way will he be the player that Long was but he can certainly get pressure with his high motor throughout a game. . . Maybe Wistrom is a better comparison but I'm not sure he is as athletic as either one of those guys).

I feel that it is an utter need to resign at least Hayes and Sims. I feel like we can't let either go unless we are bringing in a guy like Mario Williams or JPP. Our Dline is our strength and I would hate to watch us fail to keep that group intact.

Edit: Not too mention we have Ethan Westbrook who has been developing.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Its going to be interesting to see how the move might affect the ability to pull in free agents. I trust this front office to go through the available guys and bring someone in on a reasonable contract, DL and DBs seem to be their strongest positions to evaluate.

Having fewer picks in the draft and holes to fill will money in the bank you'd think they might be more active there to fill some needs on both sides of the ball.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I hope they resign Hayes and and Draft a DT and a DE. I like Westy to take Sims spot in the rotation and hopefully a Draft pick will figure into the mix. I really liked Fairley in the rotation, but he's gonna make some money starting somewhere else. I like LTP a lot and can't wait to see him again in preseason. I hope whoever they bring in has the build to back and play Brockers position. He's the only big run plugger the Rams have besides fringe guy Doug Worthington.

This season Ethan will finally get his chance to get plenty of action @ his his best position DE. Fisher has been playing this 6-4 267 pounder mostly @ DT. They had no real need @ DE the last two seasons with the main four. Now with the Rams facing a real possibility of being without all four in TC Ethan is sure to get his reps in along with Longacre.

DT Doug Worthington has never been able to remain healthy even though he active on field playing time has been minute. He was drafted by the Steelers in 2010 & active for only 6 games since then. He will be 29 before the season starts. IMO should not even be on the roster. He has been a practice squad rider who is injured as much as Rodger Saffold. He has been signed by five teams thus far.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I'm really curious about what the future of Longacre and Trinca Pasat hold with this team?

Longacre reminded me a lot of Chris Long (at the time of the past couple of seasons, no way will he be the player that Long was but he can certainly get pressure with his high motor throughout a game. . . Maybe Wistrom is a better comparison but I'm not sure he is as athletic as either one of those guys).

I feel that it is an utter need to resign at least Hayes and Sims. I feel like we can't let either go unless we are bringing in a guy like Mario Williams or JPP. Our Dline is our strength and I would hate to watch us fail to keep that group intact.

Edit: Not too mention we have Ethan Westbrook who has been developing.
I also want to see what Trica-Pasat has!!