Rams Have Dodged Playing the Best Pass Rushers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram65

Legend
After watching Jared Goff have a Hollywood Highlight game with 5 TDs and 465 passing yards the thought occurred to me that he has not had to play against the best NFL pass rushers. Fortunately, for the Rams and Goff the Rams have avoided opposing team's best pass rushers for three of the first four games. The Vikings Everson Griffen has been dealing with mental health issues this year. He has had 13,8,10.5 and 12 sacks over the past 4 year. The Vikings managed one sack giving Goff plenty of time to find receivers for his career high yardage. Had the Vikings had Griffin it might have been a little harder for Goff connect on 26 of 33 passing attempts. Protecting Jared Goff is the number one priority of the Rams offense.

The big news at the start of the NFL season was the blockbuster trade of former DPOY Khalil Mack of the Raiders to the Bears. Mack is off to a great start with the Bears with four sacks in three games. the Mackless Raiders were the Rams first opponent. The Raiders put up little resistance in the Rams passing game in the second half. In fact Jared Goff didn't get any markings from being knock down all game. Last week it was a foot injury that held out Joey Bosa the Chargers top sack maker who had 12.5 sacks a year ago and 10.5 in his rookie year the year before.

The Rams offensive line has played extremely well. They deserve a lot credit for Jared Goff's success. Havenstein, Blythe, Sullivan, Saffold and Whitworth have provided outstanding protection for Goff through the first quarter of the season. The Seahags are next up but, are without Michael Bennet and most of the LOB defensive players. The Denver Broncos (Oct 14th) with Von Miller will be the first top line pass rusher the Rams offensive line will have to keep away from Jared Goff. We all know what Von Miller is capable of. He had three sacks of Russell Wilson last week. Down the road the biggest test for the Rams offensive line will be will be the Philadelphia in December and possible playoffs. The Eagles with a plethora of pass rushers. Fletcher Cox, Bennet, Chris Long and Derek Barnett will be the biggest challenge for the Rams offensive line all year. The Rams will have a warm up against Khalil Mack and the Bears the week before the Eagles game.

If the Rams can protect Jared Goff the sky is the limit for the Rams offense.

Last edited:

Rams43

Hall of Fame
The Rams can only play the teams on their schedule, and it’s a daunting list.

They have no control over which pass rushers are healthy enough to play against them.

Then again, the Rams have had their fair share of starters that have been MIA due to injury.

Barron
Talib
GZ
Cooper
JoJo

Sooooo...

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And the Vikings had to play us with a gimpy peters and no Talib

Remeber last year clowney was killing us and the genius made adjustments and he was quiet the rest of the game

We can only beat who is in front of us I want the best players on the field so the team we beat have no excuses but it’s the nfl injuries happen and the rams are TCB .. and that’s all we can ask

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
So let's say those two players each got TWO sacks on Goff.

Does that mean their teams win?

I don't think so. But you are right about QB protection the sky is the limit for Goff and the Rams O if he has 3 seconds per pass play.

Ram65

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The Rams can only play the teams on their schedule, and it’s a daunting list.

They have no control over which pass rushers are healthy enough to play against them.

Then again, the Rams have had their fair share of starters that have been MIA due to injury.

Barron
Talib
GZ
Cooper
JoJo

Sooooo...

And the Vikings had to play us with a gimpy peters and no Talib

Remember last year clowney was killing us and the genius made adjustments and he was quiet the rest of the game

We can only beat who is in front of us I want the best players on the field so the team we beat have no excuses but it’s the nfl injuries happen and the rams are TCB .. and that’s all we can ask

I guess the title is misleading in making the point........ That the Rams haven't been tested by good/elite pass rushers

Goff and McVay haven't been test as much as they could have been. It wasn't about injuries as one was a injury one, a trade and one a mental illness. It's about how will the offensive line, Goff and McVay respond when there is more pressure by the defense.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I guess the title is misleading in making the point........ That the Rams haven't been tested by good/elite pass rushers

Goff and McVay haven't been test as much as they could have been. It wasn't about injuries as one was a injury one, a trade and one a mental illness. It's about how will the offensive line, Goff and McVay respond when there is more pressure by the defense.

And like I said they neutralised clowney when he was wrecking our game plan ...

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
He played. Although IIRC they switched him from 3-4 LBer to 4-3 DE.
you said NFL pass rusher and Jones is one of the best. They did switch him but he's a beast at either End 4-3 or Olb 3-4

Ram65

Legend
you said NFL pass rusher and Jones is one of the best. They did switch him but he's a beast at either End 4-3 or Olb 3-4

The Cardinals are so bad it didn't matter but, switching like that isn't easy. Just ask Robert Quinn. He played so I didn't mention him. I just thought 3 out of 4 games the Rams didn't have to play against the defenses best pass rusher was note worthy. Apparently others don't agree.

Rainram

Starter
Well Seattle doesn’t have one...so here’s to another week of good protection next week :cheers:

Then it gets tougher...

@ Von Miller
@ The Niners (They have a couple guys)
Vs Clay Matthews
@ Cam Jordan

Half the battle though is Gurley. As a runner, as a blocker and in the screen game...he backs the defense off.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
We'll be facing more pass rushers down the road. I expect McVay to respond accordingly by feeding Gurley more, utilizing the screen, and quick passes

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
I wouldn't overlook Frank Clark, he might not be great but he gave Whitworth some trouble the first time that we played them. He's acquired a sack in each of his 3 games so far this season.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I wouldn't overlook Frank Clark, he might not be great but he gave Whitworth some trouble the first time that we played them. He's acquired a sack in each of his 3 games so far this season.
He wasn’t a factor in the second game last year. The Rams don’t lose to teams twice. We will destroy Seattle again.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
He wasn’t a factor in the second game last year. The Rams don’t lose to teams twice. We will destroy Seattle again.
I'm not worried about losing to them. I just wouldn't overlook their pass rush because Bennett is gone.

Ram65

Legend

Thanks, he will be someone to watch.

I'm not worried about losing to them. I just wouldn't overlook their pass rush because Bennett is gone.

Good point.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

While I get what you're saying, most teams in the league it seems have had less than the other team's best to go against. It's just the nature of the beast and it seems to be a bit worse this season than most. Hopefully we will be able to handle the elite pass rushers on our schedule but as my boss (former coach) says, these are all NFL players and though there are some great ones, they all can play.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Half the battle though is Gurley. As a runner, as a blocker and in the screen game...he backs the defense off.

No doubt. Plus the jet sweep motions. Hard to contain that when an athlete like Cooks has a running start to the edge.

Robert

Rookie
I think you forgot the rams offensive line practices against guys like donald, suh, brockers. I'm sure it was nice to not have to face mack, bosa and griffen but ultimately I dont think it would have made a difference. The way the title states makes it seem like the rams wouldn't be 4-0 if those guys would have played.