Rams have a reason for waiting on rookie contracts

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Darin Gantt
<a class="postlink" href="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/09/rams-have-a-reason-for-waiting-on-rookie-contracts/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... contracts/</a>

Even though the pace of draft pick contract negotiations is swift, not every team has joined the race.

With closing in on 200 of the 254 draft picks under contract, seven teams have signed all their picks, and 31 teams have signed at least one.

The Rams are the lone holdout, and they have a reason.

“We just feel like they’ll be better suited if we can take them through step A and B of Financial Planning 101 before we give ‘em the money,” Rams coach Jeff Fisher said, via Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. “It’s just that simple. We’ll get them all signed and we’re communicating with them. . . .

“It’s a life-changing event for them. We try to better prepare them for that.”

Fisher also added, jokingly: “They’ve got a roof over their head and three meals, and they’re doing fine right now.”

Rookies are housed in a team hotel and fed at the facility during offseason workouts, part of the Rams’ philosophy of team-building. There, they work with former defensive tackle La’Roi Glover, the team’s director of player programs.

“A big focus of our entire program, with an emphasis from coach Fisher and [General Manager] Les [Snead] is on player development and skill development,” said Kevin Demoff, executive vice president of football operations. “We get La’Roi Glover involved, and really taking a holistic approach to the maturation process of the rookies and the vets.

“One of the things that we think is important with that is bringing the rookies in as a group, having them live together as a group, and not having any real differentiation between the first-round pick and the undrafted rookie.

“They’re in the hotel together. They’re eating meals together. They’re doing things together. And then [by the time] they all scatter, we’ll sign their contracts. They’ll leave knowing the contract’s done, so they don’t have to worry about that headache when they go on vacation.”

Demoff said all the contracts would likely be completed before players leave for the summer break, so the focus could be solely on football when they return in late July for training camp.

And while their decision keep the money out of their players’ hands for a month, the plan they have in place may help those players hang onto some of it.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Very smart way to do it, there are so many people looking to take advantage of these young guys.

In the Army when new soldiers get out of training they always tell them don't buy a new car, especially not near post. There's always one guy who does it anyway and it bites him in the ass really badly... My unit had a rule that if you wanted to buy anything over 200 dollars you needed to go to an NCO and let him know so he can make sure you're not getting ripped off.... Sounds stupid, but there was a legitimate reason for it... Computer shops would sell 600 dollar laptops for $3,000 because some new private without any idea how to handle money will spend it. I know a guy who bought a 2 door 2001 Honda Civic (in 2006) with body damage, engine damage, and interior damage, probably 1,000 dollars worth of damage alone without including the engine.... He bought it for $18,000, but since he didn't have the money he took out a loan with the company..... For 16.5% APR.

Needless to say he couldn't afford that, and eventually they took the car back, kept what he paid them (near 15 grand) and sold it to another idiot Private fresh out of training.

There's always people looking to take advantage, young guys with lots of money are easy targets. Throw a few girls out there and they'll pay out. Having them take financial classes while providing them and letting them bond as a team, is such an incredibly smart thing to do.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
I think it's totally ineffective because all these guy have to do is borrow money from their agents. Which they are already doing.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
albefree69 said:
I think it's totally ineffective because all these guy have to do is borrow money from their agents. Which they are already doing.

Meh... maybe, but there is still a little stigma to borrowing money - especially when you really don't need any to do what you're doing.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
RamFan503 not understanding how to be stupid:

Meh... maybe, but there is still a little stigma to borrowing money - especially when you really don't need any to do what you're doing.

The whole point about being stupid with your money is spending it when you don't really need to. :lmao:

Gotta buy that Rolex, gold chains and a nice red Lotus. And there's no stigma if no one knows except you and your agent.

Those are just some of the basics you need to know about being stupid. Advanced degrees require you to spend more money than you're gonna make. :ww:

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Love having Glover involved, I saw an interview while he was still playing. He seems to be very smart financially.

nighttrain

Legend
albefree69 said:
all possible Albe, but not while in OTA's, no time to fool around. And I believe Fisher/Snead getting last season's draft picks involved, it just makes sense to try
train

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
nighttrain tilting at windmills:
all possible Albe, but not while in OTA's, no time to fool around. And I believe Fisher/Snead getting last season's draft picks involved, it just makes sense to try

I like the effort the Rams are expending to try and keep some of their players from blowing their money. I just disagree with their methods. Lots of mandatory classes about money management and heavy involvement of their peers is great. Not paying them their money is not fair and as I said, ineffective.

Riddle me this train, if they don't have time to spend it because of OTAs then why hold off giving them their money? Can't have your logic and eat it too. :lol:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Just need to give 'em a little taste.
Just a taste of that contract $$$ to get 'em through OTAs.

Wet their whistle, so to speak.

My only question is, does this violate anything? Is the payment structure in their contract? Is it against the CBA? If the Rams have all their bases covered, then this isn't really a big deal. Particularly if the players aren't complaining about it (yet).

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I gotta think that KD had this figured out before Fish/Snead could actually do it. I don't know what the deadlines actually are or if they were changed with the new CBA but IIRR rookies often went unsigned until training camp and sometimes beyond, therefor, not receiving a paycheck for many months. I don't know if UDFAs get their money being that they sign - I believe - right after try-outs and some of them are offered contracts just to come to 1 Rams Park and be one of the 90.

nighttrain

Legend
albefree69 said:
nighttrain tilting at windmills:

I like the effort the Rams are expending to try and keep some of their players from blowing their money. I just disagree with their methods. Lots of mandatory classes about money management and heavy involvement of their peers is great. Not paying them their money is not fair and as I said, ineffective.

Riddle me this train, if they don't have time to spend it because of OTAs then why hold off giving them their money? Can't have your logic and eat it too. :lol:
I'll just fall back on, it never hurts to try to help someone
train

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
nighttrain initiating the perfect fallback plan:
I'll just fall back on, it never hurts to try to help someone

I agree. Every effort should be made to help these guys out as long as it isn't forced on them.