Rams have a cornerback battle/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams have a cornerback battle
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_967d896b-deb4-5530-a4df-9e07e854c0e5.html

Rookie E.J. Gaines took over at cornerback when Trumaine Johnson suffered a knee injury in the third game of the 2014 preseason and performed admirably.

Now Johnson wants his job back.

“We battled a little bit last year for it; he got an injury, so I just kind of filled in for him when he was out,” Gaines said in a Saturday interview. “So he’s back healthy ... and ready to compete.”

But as far as Gaines is concerned, the competition could be postponed for a while. Early in practice Sunday night, Gaines got stepped on and wrenched his knee. He walked off under his own power, but with a limp, and was done for the evening.

The Rams don’t think the injury is serious but won’t know for sure until getting test results.

“Don’t know,” coach Jeff Fisher said after Sunday’s practice at Rams Park. “Going to have to do some tests. He got stepped on, which is encouraging as opposed to other things (such as getting a foot caught in the turf). We’ll find out. Right now, they’re not too concerned. He’s very sore, but that typically can happen when you get stepped on.”

The three-ring circus that is the center competition may be the headliner on offense when it comes to position battles. But the main event on the other side of the ball is Johnson vs. Gaines for the starting cornerback spot opposite Janoris Jenkins.

“It’ll be great competition,” Fisher said before the injury. “We’ve got a rookie from last year that played really solid defense for us.”

That would be Gaines.

“We’ve got a starter that unfortunately suffered a significant injury in the preseason and really never made it back other than some sub stuff towards the end,” Fisher continued.

That would be Johnson.

The 188th player taken in the 2014 draft, Gaines ended up starting 15 games last season. He finished with 105 tackles, two interceptions and a team-high 14 pass breakups. The former University of Missouri star missed the regular-season finale because of a concussion but made the Pro Football Writers of America All-Rookie team.

All in all, the sixth-round pick from Independence, Mo., rated as a late-round steal.

Because of a back injury that carried over from the end of last season, Gaines sat out the Rams’ OTA practices in June, and really didn’t do much the entire offseason except rehab work on the back.

He spent most of the five-week break between the end of OTAs in June and the start of training camp Friday continuing his rehab work in St. Louis, frequently shuttling back to his hometown in the Kansas City area.

Because of the back injury, he opened camp a little behind Johnson. Even if Gaines misses only a week or two with Sunday’s knee injury, that’ll put him that much further behind what apparently is a very fit Johnson.

“Trumaine is in as good of condition as we’ve seen since he’s been here,” Fisher said.

Johnson also spent most of the summer break working in St. Louis. Not because he was hurt, but because he wanted to.

“I got work in Monday through Friday,” Johnson said. “I took trips here and there to go see the family. But I wanted to stay here and lift with my guys. Got the same trainers here. Got the same strength and conditioning coach. Everything is here as far as the weight room, the field work, and treatment.”

And it wasn’t really rehab work. Johnson said the knee injury, which sidelined him for seven games last season, was 100 percent by the end of the year. But he realizes this is a big year, not just in terms of re-claiming the starting job, but also because he’s scheduled for unrestricted free agency at the end of 2015.

A big cornerback at 6-2, 208, Johnson has 20 starts in three seasons with the Rams. He has shown some playmaking ability with eight career interceptions and can be a physical presence with that size.

He was playing well after he returned from the knee injury last season, before a brutal day against the New York Giants on Dec. 21. Johnson chalked that up to just a bad day at the office.

“Playing corner, it’s a hard job,” he said. “I accept it. You get beat one play, you make a play another play. So you’ve got to forget about (the bad plays). You’ve got to have a ‘next play’ mentality.”

Although his game still needs polish, Johnson said things have slowed down for him. He has improved his recognition skills, which frequently comes only with experience, and can read plays more easily.

“I’m a vet now,” he said. “There’s younger guys looking up to me.”

Johnson welcomes the competition with Gaines, saying, “It’s good for both of us.”

And Gaines isn’t hung up on the fact that he must prove himself all over again after his breakout rookie year.

“I’m all right with that,” Gaines said Saturday. “I’m perfectly fine with that. And Trumaine, we’re good friends and everything. But you know, competition is competition.”

For Gaines, the battle with Johnson is only half of the competition. He’s also competing with second-year man Lamarcus Joyner for the starting nickel back job.

“Lamarcus’ situation, what a difference a year makes, for a young player to come back in year two and finally just get it,” Fisher said. “He gets it now. So he’ll be productive for us.”

Gaines saw time at nickel back over the second half of last season after Joyner went down with a groin injury Nov. 9 against Arizona, and more than held his own. Gaines’ latest injury could give Joyner a chance to hold the lead at nickel back.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
TE Bayer looking to win a job again
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_871dd649-be52-5c0f-a341-089bb92c2d19.html

Rams tight end Alex Bayer was one of the surprises from training camp a year ago. Now he’s looking to follow up on that.

An undrafted free agent from Bowling Green, Bayer led the team in receiving during the preseason with 10 catches for 135 yards, including a 42-yarder. He was active for just six of 16 regular-season games but did manage to recover a muffed punt in the team’s 27-24 loss at San Diego.

“I only played in six games last year; this year, I’d like to play in all 16,” the 6-foot-4, 258-pound Bayer said. “I want to be part of as many of the special teams units as possible and work in some offensive packages as well.

“I’m out here trying to win a job, just like last year.”

Bayer, 24, suffered a bit of a setback when a lingering foot injury forced him to miss organized team activities in the spring.

“I had minor surgery a couple of weeks before OTAs, but I’m 100 percent again,” he said. “It was frustrating at the time — going into your second year, that’s when you really want to start making a name for yourself — but (assistant head coach/offense Rob Boras) was really good with me. He kept me staying patient, reminding me that camp is when you earn your job.’’

Bayer is off to a solid start in camp and came up with a handful of catches in traffic during seven-on-seven drills Sunday.

“I’m just a lot more comfortable and confident now,’’ he said. “Last year, I was the new guy. I didn’t know anybody and nobody here knew much about me or my potential. But now, with that year behind me, I know the routine and I have a much better understanding of the offense. There’s no hesitation. I know what I need to do and I’m a lot more comfortable around the other tight ends and the guys on the offensive line.”

Bayer continued: “Working every day against Chris Long and Robert Quinn and the other guys on our defense, you can’t help but improve.”

Tight end is one of the Rams’ stronger positions, featuring veterans Jared Cook, who had a team-leading 52 catches a year ago, and Lance Kendricks, who tied for the team lead with five touchdowns. The unit also includes versatile Cory Harkey as well as Bayer, Justice Cunningham and Brad Smelley.

“At this level, nothing is given to you,’’ Bayer said. “Each year, you’re out to win a job and I know the other guys at the position feel the same way. It’s going to be a fun competition throughout camp, and hopefully that can bring out the best in all of us.’’

RAM-BLINGS

Practice No. 3, which drew a Sunday evening crowd of 1,332, was by far the most spirited so far. The day featured the first skirmish of camp after a run around right end by Tavon Austin. It was hard to tell who was involved in the middle of the scrum, but at one point rookie guard Jamon Brown took third-year safety T.J. McDonald to the ground.

Monday’s special teams practice is closed to the public. The schedule for the remainder of the week includes open-to-the-public workouts on Tuesday (3:30 p.m.) and Thursday (5:30 p.m.).Friday’s scrimmage at Lindenwood University in St. Charles will run from 5-6:30 p.m.

Tuesday will mark the team’s first full-squad workout in pads.

“We need to put pads on, especially up front, so they can get used to it,” Fisher said. “Even the quarterbacks need to get used to throwing the ball with shoulder pads on. We’ll have some good work throughout the week. ... Then Friday, we’re going to go over to Lindenwood and we’ll have pads on, so we’ll get a really solid workout.”

• DE Chris Long (back stiffness) and S Mark Barron (knee) sat out again Sunday. Barron, however, did some running with RB Todd Gurley, whose practicing is still limited to individual drills.

• Second-year cornerback Marcus Roberson had three interceptions Sunday, including one that would’ve gone for a touchdown. Just a few plays after getting beat on a long pass to Stedman Bailey, Lamarcus Joyner turned the tables with a nice pick in the flat on a Nick Foles pass intended for Bailey.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Practice Report 8/2: Strong Offseasons Paying Off
By Myles Simmons

View: http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-events/article-practicereport/Practice-Report-82-Strong-Offseasons-Paying-Off/92331abb-c7df-4fdc-acd5-d71b6dd4ff21

While the Rams’ defensive strength is well-known, perhaps one of its more underrated components is the secondary.

But with a bevy of young and growing players, many of St. Louis’ defensive backs could have breakout years in 2015. So far in camp, head coach Jeff Fisher has noticed that some hard work in the offseason by many of those players has displayed some clear improvement.

“I can give you a long list of guys who had their best offseason to date,” Fisher said, mentioning cornerbacks Janoris Jenkins and Trumaine Johnson by name. “The guys who weren’t rehabbing, they just stayed here. And they just worked. And it’s paying off for them now."

It’s still a little early to know exactly how the results manifest themselves once the games commence, but the head coach sounded encouraged about how the work in the offseason could pay dividends with a better record to begin the year.

“Once we get closer and we start talking about it, it’s very, very important to get off to a good start,” Fisher said. “Three of our first four games are against playoff teams from last year. But we’re not going to look past Seattle. We know where the challenges are there.

“We’re a long ways away,” Fisher continued. “I think three or four days from now, these guys will look forward to working against someone else rather than themselves.”

Another young defensive back who has impressed the staff has been Maurice Alexander. A fourth-round pick out of Utah State in 2014, Alexander contributed on special teams last year, but has progressed to the point where he could push for some defensive time.

“He’s playing really fast right now, and that implies that he knows what to do,” Fisher said. “He’s sure, he’s decisive, he makes good decisions, and he’s reacting. He’s very athletic and he’s playing fast. He’s going to make a lot of plays for us.”

GAINES DAY-TO-DAY

Cornerback E.J. Gaines exited practice early, walking off the field with trainers after he was stepped on in a drill.

“We’re going to have to do some tests,” Fisher said. “He got stepped on, which is encouraging as opposed to the other things. We’ll do some tests, and we’ll find out."

Fisher added that right now, the training staff doesn’t seem to be too concerned about Gaines’ injury.

“He’s very sore, but that’s typically can happen when you get stepped on the way he did,” Fisher said.

A sixth-round pick out of Mizzou last year, Gaines led the Rams with 14 passes defensed in his rookie season. For now, his status is day-to-day.

GETTING THE PADS ON

With the three-day acclimation period coming to an end, the Rams will put on shoulder pads for the first time tomorrow in the club’s closed special teams practice. And then the full squad will wear them for Tuesday’s session.

“What we’ve done in the past is we’ve had our first padded practice with special teams,” Fisher said. “The rest of the guys will be doing some recovery stuff, but we’ll have a good session in the morning for about an hour with pads. And then we’ll recover tomorrow afternoon, and Tuesday will be out first day with shoulder pads on.”

Fisher also said that the team appears ready to get the gear on.

“We need to put pads on, especially up front,” Fisher said. “Even the quarterbacks -- quarterbacks need to get used to throwing the ball with shoulder pads on. So we’ll have some good work throughout the week.”

As Fisher referenced, the pads will aid in noticing the progress from young O-linemen like Rob Havenstein and Jamon Brown.

“It’s so hard to evaluate an offensive lineman without pads. The defense clearly has the advantage out there,” Fisher said. “I’m suspecting that JB and Rob -- and the whole crew for that matter -- will look a lot different once the pads go on.”

COOK’S EXCITED

Tight end Jared Cook has been quite productive in his two seasons in St. Louis, leading the team in receptions last year. But this upcoming year has him feeling a little bit better than ever before.

“This is probably the most excited I’ve been about a season since I’ve been in the NFL,” Cook said on Sunday.

For more on Cook and why he’s looking forward to this season, check out our feature on him here.