Rams have 18 players set to become free agents/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams have 18 players set to become free agents
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/26114/rams-have-18-players-set-to-become-free-agents

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Among the many things the Los Angeles Rams have to take care of in the coming months is a free-agent class filled with key players at multiple positions, especially on defense.

While the team already decided to use the fifth-year option on defensive tackle Michael Brockers, he could also be in line to negotiate a contract extension. All told, the Rams have 18 players set to become restricted or unrestricted free agents this offseason.

Free agents can begin a three-day negotiating window on March 12, with March 15 serving as the start of the new league year. Here's how it breaks down:

Unrestricted free agents (12)

K Greg Zuerlein

DE William Hayes

DE Eugene Sims

DT Nick Fairley

CB Trumaine Johnson

CB Janoris Jenkins

S Mark Barron (declined fifth-year option)

S Rodney McLeod

WR Brian Quick

WR Wes Welker

TE Cory Harkey

C Tim Barnes

Restricted free agents (6)

LB Daren Bates

S Cody Davis

QB Case Keenum

RB Benny Cunningham

RB Chase Reynolds

OL Brian Folkerts

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
Half the players on that list will probably be be replaced.I would try as hard as it will be to keep Tru, JJ, Barron,McLeod, Hayes,Fairly, Cunningham and Barnes.Sims,Quick,Davis ,Reynolds and Bates would be players I'll keep after losing 1 or 2 from the 1st list.Keenum needs to hit the lottery so he can retire and Fisher would be forced to look for a Qb.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
That's a boatload of our young talent....I'd try to keep 12-13 of them....guess who?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'd sign the following UFAs:

DE William Hayes
One of CB Trumaine Johnson or CB Janoris Jenkins
S Mark Barron
TE Cory Harkey (only if cheap)
WR Wes Welker (only if cheap)

From there I would pursue in FA:

One WR.
One Center.

Then in the draft:

Move up for Goff and give up future picks over this year's round 2 picks if possible.
Draft a WR with good hands who can run routes, not an effin project.
Draft a TE with big body, good hands and a history of actual production over another freak project type.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I'd like to bring back both Johnson and Jenkins. But Johnson finished the season strong and Jenkins is a known commodity. I do believe its imperative to re-sign at least one of them. Barron is a crucial piece too because of his versatility. At this point in their careers, I believe Hayes is better than Chris Long. Long needs to be restructured. I wouldn't mind bringing back McCleod. Shouldn't cost too much and he knows the system. And he's has been at least serviceable. We could do worse.

The offensive guys, with the exception of Cunningham, can all be easily upgraded. I hope they don't plan on bringing Quick back. He's a total non factor. Pretty much a bump on a log as far as value. I like Zuerline but I don't like his inconsistency. If they want to move on from him I wouldn't be bothered too much. I can see them bringing back Bates, Davis and Reynolds for their special teams value.

Bottom line, don't lose too many on defense. Guys like JJ, TJ and Barron will be hard to replace. Hayes too. Those guys would be my top priorities. We could afford to lose either JJ or TJ, but not both. I'd rather they try hard to keep them both though. Secondary depth is not easy to achieve.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Where's the blue font? Brockers is a beast. Sign him first, then Jenkins.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
I'm sure the Rams have one advantage now , telling them they can either stay here and play in LA

or go somewhere else

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
With so many Rams entering Free Agency how could anyone really do a close to reality Mock Draft?

Fisher would sure needs to Sign one of the two DE's William Hayes or Eugene Sims. Same said of one of the two CB's Trumaine Johnson or Janoris Jenkins. The signing of our starting center Tim Barnes is high. I was under the strong impression that FB Cory Harkey is a RFA not a UFA??? I want Jared Cook released so signing Harkey is a need so he can back up lance Kendricks.

The next two UFA's comes into play with my thoughts that the very weak & in decline MLB JL needs to be released in order to sign two younger on the rise good starters Weak Side LB'er Mark Barron & deep safety Rodney McLeod who would be able to off set the loss of defensive captain JL.

My top two RFA's would be RB Benny Cunningham & FB Cory Harkey. If Fisher is unable to get FS McLeod to sign a contract them FS Cody Davis will be a need. So many variables & elements will come into play here. I also :wabbit:for a veteran UFA TE!

61Woody

UDFA
Name
Jeff
Now we get to see if location has anything to do with resigning our guys the team wants to keep.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack

Brockers is a difference maker on 100% of his snaps. If you don't think so, then you need to start actually watching the games. Being flashy getting sacks isn't the only way to be a difference maker. You want to cut Brockers and likely lose Fairley. So you want to go with Donald and........Worthington? Yeah that's so much better. Brockers is underpaid as it is. Because he gets paid more then all the lowest salaries on the team means nothing. Without Brockers, Donald isn't nearly as effective and our run d is worse then it already is.