Rams Guessed Wrong With Long Extension

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

looks like the rams didn''t anticipate the lacklustre free agent market this off season.

they knew they needed to lock up chris long and didn''t want him to hit the free market. turns out it would have been in their best interests to let him hit free agency.

hindsight is 20/20 vision as always. can''t blame them for locking him up.

also, alot of free agents screwed themselves by not taking deals offered by their own clubs last season.

Pass rushers are usually at a premium in free agency but that hasn’t been the case this year. Paul Kruger’s five-year, $40.5 million deal (including $20 million guaranteed) with the Cleveland Browns set the market. Cliff Avril played under his $10.605 million franchise tag last season after turning down a three-year, $30 million contract from the Detroit Lions. He needed to sign a two-year, $19.395 million deal in order to break even. Avril lost $6.395 million by turning down Detroit’s offer because he only got a two-year, $13 million deal (with an additional $2.1 million in sack escalators and incentives) from the Seattle Seahawks.

Paul Kruger was one of the few pass rushers who struck it big this offseason.

Elvis Dumervil became a free agent on March 15th because of a paperwork snafu on his renegotiated contract with the Denver Broncos that reduced his 2013 salary from $12 million to $8 million. He received $500,000 more that he was scheduled to make in 2013 from the Broncos renegotiation in the five-year, $26 million deal (includes $11 million in guarantees) he subsequently signed with the Baltimore Ravens. The contract is worth up to $35 million because it contains $9 million in base salary escalators. Kamerion Wimbley was released by the Oakland Raiders around the same time as Dumervil last year, but fared much better. He signed a five-year, $35 million contract ($13.5 million in guarantees) with the Tennessee Titans.

Chris Long should be thankful he signed a four-year, $48.2 million contract extension ($36.76 million in guarantees) with the St. Louis Rams as training camp opened last season. It’s hard to imagine him getting a similar deal as an unrestricted free agent under current market conditions.

<a class="postlink" href="http://sports.yahoo.com/news/market-isnt-always-cracked-153605900--nfl.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://sports.yahoo.com/news/market-isn ... --nfl.html</a>

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Eh, I dunno man. Kruger is a one trick pony, get to the QB. He can't play the pass, and I'm not entirely sure what the reports on his run stopping ability is. Dumervil definitely deserved better than he got, but most everyone has been getting screwed this FA period. I think CL would have had some big money thrown at him by the likes of Atlanta, Detroit, Cincy, New England...pretty much anyone that runs a 4-3. His body of work compared with say, Cliff Avril is much more enticing.

Sure the Rams might have been able to save a few million, but was it worth the risk of letting Long be wooed by multiple other teams in bigger 'winning' markets...probably not. Hindsight 20/20 and all that jive.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
That's b/c Chris Long > any other pass rusher on the market.

He is one of those (and I hate using these labels) "blue chip" and "premier" players.

Speeps

Starter
Angry Ram said:

He is one of those (and I hate using these labels) "blue chip" and "premier" players.
Exactly! Chris Long would have been the prize of this years Free Agent market. His deal would have been similar if not exceeded Mike Wallace's.

The other pass rushers on the market are either one trick ponies, or past their prime. Chris Long is an every down player, currently in his prime, and his best days are still ahead of him.

BuiltRamTough

Pro Bowler
Name
Edmond
Warner4Prez said:
Eh, I dunno man. Kruger is a one trick pony, get to the QB. He can't play the pass, and I'm not entirely sure what the reports on his run stopping ability is. Dumervil definitely deserved better than he got, but most everyone has been getting screwed this FA period. I think CL would have had some big money thrown at him by the likes of Atlanta, Detroit, Cincy, New England...pretty much anyone that runs a 4-3. His body of work compared with say, Cliff Avril is much more enticing.

Sure the Rams might have been able to save a few million, but was it worth the risk of letting Long be wooed by multiple other teams in bigger 'winning' markets...probably not. Hindsight 20/20 and all that jive.
I agree.. Kruger doesn't come close to Long

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
So we should have turned the lack luster FA market for DEs into a hot market by letting Chris HIT the market? Not sure I like how that would have played out. The dude is in his prime and is one of the best all around DEs out there. All letting him test the market would have done is tell him we're not committed to him. Could we THEN expect him to be committed to us? I don't think that is what we are building here.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
RamFan503 said:
So we should have turned the lack luster FA market for DEs into a hot market by letting Chris HIT the market? Not sure I like how that would have played out. The dude is in his prime and is one of the best all around DEs out there. All letting him test the market would have done is tell him we're not committed to him. Could we THEN expect him to be committed to us? I don't think that is what we are building here.

+1

Long has steadily improved each season and after last season, his FA value could have been too high for the RAMS to commit. I'm betting he will continue to get better and will be a great leader for this team for many years to come. We need guys with his drive, intensity, etc. Every signing is a risk. Why would we allow a great young talent to get away?

bluecoconuts

Legend
RamFan503 said:

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. If he hit's the open market, he'd have gotten a lot of attention. You don't risk those things with a player like Chris Long.

iced

Chris would have been the only young and complete DE that is one of the top 5 in this league at getting to the qb consistently.

No telling what his contract would have been - but i'd bet more than we paid

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Rams didn't guess wrong. The journalist didn't do his homework. The Bengals gave Michael Johnson, an inferior DE, an 11 million dollar franchise tag to avoid FA. Look at what Charles Johnson, Mario Williams and Julius Peppers got paid in recent years as great DEs.

Look at what Mike Wallace got paid as a blue chip FA. Long would have gotten paid significant money on the market.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
RamFan503 said:

Yeah, like we did with SJ? The Rams had sent the message to SJ that we'd like to have you but u are not really in our plans. So a player in that situation would conceivably play different for the Rams. In other words, he may give you 100% effort but the above and beyond effort has left the building.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Ramhusker said:
RamFan503 said:

Yeah, like we did with SJ? The Rams had sent the message to SJ that we'd like to have you but u are not really in our plans. So a player in that situation would conceivably play different for the Rams. In other words, he may give you 100% effort but the above and beyond effort has left the building.

Apples and oranges. As much as I loved SJ, he was at the end of his career - we just signed Long for his best playing years.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
jrry32 said:
The Rams didn't guess wrong. The journalist didn't do his homework. The Bengals gave Michael Johnson, an inferior DE, an 11 million dollar franchise tag to avoid FA. Look at what Charles Johnson, Mario Williams and Julius Peppers got paid in recent years as great DEs.

Look at what Mike Wallace got paid as a blue chip FA. Long would have gotten paid significant money on the market.

This was sort of my reaction.

jap

Legend
The Rams did the right thing. You always lock up your core players as quickly as possible.

nighttrain

Legend
Angry Ram said:

He is "blue chip" and "premier", and ya gotta pay them
train

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Don't get me wrong, i'm not blaming the rams at all for locking up long early. It's the only option they had.

But i'm not convinced he would have demanded the same amount of money in free agency. The rams just got the premier LT on the market for $8.5m per year.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
kurtfaulk said:

Don't get me wrong, i'm not blaming the rams at all for locking up long early. It's the only option they had.

But i'm not convinced he would have demanded the same amount of money in free agency. The rams just got the premier LT on the market for $8.5m per year.

And a WR coming off less than 1000 yards got 12 million per year. Jake Long had injury questions, plays at a position losing value and had a smaller than expected market. Chris Long plays a position that's rising in value, has no durability questions and has been one of the top 2 pass rushers in the NFL over the last 3 years at pressuring the QB.

He would have gotten paid imo.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
No doubt Long gets paid if he hits FA.

But he's locked up and a key part of our team. Kudos Rams.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2