Rams GM Les Snead hopes offseason moves turn out super

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams GM Les Snead hopes offseason moves turn out super​

THOUSAND OAKS — The Rams’ 53-man class of 2021 was on the practice field by itself for the first time Wednesday, marking the end of an eventful offseason.

On offense, General Manager Les Snead had offseason successes to celebrate in the trade for quarterback Matthew Stafford, the signing of deep threat receiver DeSean Jackson and the low-cost acquisition of running back Sony Michel last week to try to offset the injury to Cam Akers.

On defense, where results were mixed, Snead could take credit for planning ahead and drafting safety Jordan Fuller in 2020 in anticipation of signal-caller John Johnson’s free-agent departure.

But Snead wasn’t ready to give himself an A, B, C – or any grade – calling the past seven months a “rough draft” for the season.

“It’s tough for me to give a rough-graft grade,” Snead said. “But here’s what I’d say, we’re definitely ready to turn in the essay.”

With Super Bowl LVI to be played at SoFi Stadium next February, Snead stopped short of saying the 53-man roster completed Tuesday is championship-caliber.

“We definitely are confident and believe we can contend for our division (title), and if we accomplish that we might have a chance to have a few home playoff games,” Snead said. “And at that point in time it’s heavyweight fights, and we’re confident we’d be ready to climb in the ring and play those four quarters.”

Snead explained his reasoning for three moves on roster cutdown day Tuesday:

• Keeping veteran punter Johnny Hekker and trading young punter Corey Bojorquez to the Green Bay Packers was made more attractive by Hekker’s agreement to a restructured contract, but Snead claimed Hekker’s history of success with fake punts was a factor.

“If you do run one to two to three to four (fake punts a season), there is that threat,” Snead said. “Teams defending your punt team are going to do it differently.”

Hekker completed passes for 13 first downs in 2012-19, but he didn’t try one in 2020.

• Snead said the Rams kept Bryce Perkins – a rare case of a third quarterback on the active roster – because they liked his progress since joining the practice squad in 2020 and wanted to avoid another team claiming him.

“If they do get claimed, a lot of training that goes into it is gone in a heartbeat,” Snead said.

• The Rams kept 10 offensive linemen again partly to prepare for the 2022 free agency of guard Austin Corbett, center Brian Allen and key backup Joe Noteboom, and the possibility of 39-year-old tackle Andrew Whitworth retiring.

“It’s been nice (in case of) injuries to keep that many,” Snead said, “but you’re always grooming, knowing that there are decisions to make at the end of the year.”

MORE MOVES

After cutting 25 players Monday and Tuesday, the Rams signed 14 of them to their practice squad on Wednesday.

The practice squad signings included Micah Kiser, the linebacker who was named NFC Defensive Player of the Week after making 15 tackles against the Philadelphia Eagles last September, before going on injured reserve for the second straight year.

Kiser cleared waivers after Rams coach Sean McVay said Tuesday he expected another team to claim him.

“What a stud of a human being, an incredible person. You talk about a guy that’s consistently overcome adversity, responded to it the right way,” McVay said of Kiser, who was a fifth-round draft pick in 2018 after winning the so-called Academic Heisman as a Virginia senior. “You’re not betting against him figuring it out, whether it ends up being with us or whether it’s somewhere else, you’re going to bet on him to be successful.”

Others signed to the practice squad: running back Otis Anderson; wide receivers Landen Akers and J.J. Koski; tight end Kendall Blanton; offensive linemen Chandler Brewer, Jeremiah Kolone, Max Pircher and Jared Hocker (waived by the Seahawks); defensive linemen Earnest Brown IV and Marquise Copeland; linebacker Justin Lawler, and defensive backs Dont’e Deayon, Kareem Orr and Tyler Hall.

Linebacker Christian Rozeboom opted to join the Kansas City Chiefs’ practice squad, defensive lineman Eric Banks was claimed by the Chargers and defensive back Troy Warner was claimed by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Rams feeling super about revamped roster, but real test is a field of dreams for now​

For eight months, Rams general manager Les Snead added to, subtracted from and reconfigured the team’s roster to give coach Sean McVay the pieces necessary for a run to Super Bowl LVI at SoFi Stadium.

The $5-billion stadium was built by Rams owner Stan Kroenke.

But Snead said Wednesday there was not extra pressure to make sure the Rams are playing there Feb. 13.

Last season, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers became the first team to win a Super Bowl in their home stadium.

“I don’t think it adds any element of more pressure than a normal, let’s call it, a big game in December,” Snead said. “Be cool though. We could have the first home game Super Bowl with like a lot of fans, not just an abbreviated amount of fans.”

A day after Snead and McVay trimmed the roster to 53 players, the Rams re-signed to their practice squad 14 players who went unclaimed, including veteran linebacker Micah Kiser.

The roster is expected to go through more iterations before the Sept. 12 opener against the Chicago Bears on “Sunday Night Football.”

“There’s always moving parts,” McVay said Tuesday.

But some high-priced foundational pieces — notably quarterback Matthew Stafford, defensive lineman Aaron Donald and cornerback Jalen Ramsey — are in place.

When asked to grade the Rams’ offseason, Snead answered by comparing it to a term paper.

“It’s a rough draft,” he said. “It really means nothing. It’s probably what you write at the end of the ’21 season. That’s the grade. ... Definitely ready to turn in the essay. We’ve probably done enough rough drafts, we’ve probably done enough retyping. We’re ready to turn this thing in … and compete.”

Is Snead confident that it is a Super Bowl-caliber roster?

“That’s the top of the mountain,” Snead said of the Super Bowl. “But we’re at base camp and we’re ready to start climbing.”

As the roster deadline loomed Tuesday, Snead’s and McVay’s most high-profile roster decision involved punter Johnny Hekker.

After Hekker agreed to restructure his contract — the NFL’s richest for a punter — the Rams traded Corey Baroque and a 2023 seventh-round draft pick to Green Bay for a 2023 sixth-round pick. Snead declined to discuss how the Rams restructured a deal that had called for Hekker to carry a salary-cap number of $4.9 million this season.

But the 24-year-old Bojorquez’s dynamic preseason performance, and what would probably would have been impending free agency after the season, made for a “a little bit of a conundrum,” Snead said.

“Johnny really wanted to be here, would love to finish his career in Los Angeles,” Snead said. “He’s been a pillar.”

Snead acknowledged that Hekker, 31, “maybe doesn’t have Corey’s leg” strength.

“At one time, Johnny did, but at this stage maybe he doesn’t have that driver that Corey has,” Snead said.

But Hekker’s value as passing threat — he has completed 13 of 22 passes for 184 yards and a touchdown — are among “interesting nuances Johnny brings to the table,” Snead said.

The Rams kept quarterback Bryce Perkins on the roster rather than expose him to a possible waiver claim. Snead said that was done in part to prevent other teams from benefiting from the training the Rams provided Perkins.

“If they do get claimed,” he said of quarterbacks, “a lot of training that goes into it is gone in a heartbeat.”

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
It looks like Snead read my post, lol.

What's telling to me is that once Bones left, McVay hasn't signed off a single fake with Hekker using his golden arm. There were a few times a fake made sense but it seems like Sean wants to play it straight.

Johnny's ability as a passer changes how the return team has to attack IF HE IS CONSIDERED A THREAT. But we haven't seen that in awhile and I have no idea if we ever will again.

I get the cap savings...what I don't get is having a weapon you're too afraid to use. The Rams don't go the the Super Bowl by beating the Saints without Johnny executing the fake. My vote? I guess if you're not going to use what makes him special, you may just as well get a big leg and save the money. Me...I would keep him and use him properly.
Snead:
“If you do run one to two to three to four (fake punts a season), there is that threat,” Snead said. “Teams defending your punt team are going to do it differently.”

Gotta head to the doctor now to reset my shoulder from trying to pat myself on the back too hard.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Well - deserved. Rather that than a chiitty roster.
Special teams is going to be covered & expect a couple turnovers as well.Don’t give up the big return.
5-10 yards is made up by Matthew Gay making his FG.How many FG’s & extra points were missed last season? 1,2,3,4 ? Add them up & 5,5,7…….

Let’s talk about Les Sneads cocky-ness
Getting Covid mad him forget about the offensive line.Now The Rams have to put all the scrubs on the 53.Add have to start Brian Allen at Center.
You’d think instead of having 2 solid backup QB’s that have 2 quality starters
Giving up 4 first a 2nd & 3rd plus having to sign Jared Goff for $175 million.I don’t know why Mcvay doesn’t go to Demoff or at least over step him & talk to The Godfather Stan Kronke & don’t get into his corrupt businesses.
Really now

André

Always far too invested
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Rams GM Les Snead hopes offseason moves turn out super​

Others signed to the practice squad: running back Otis Anderson; wide receivers Landen Akers and J.J. Koski; tight end Kendall Blanton; offensive linemen Chandler Brewer, Jeremiah Kolone, Max Pircher and Jared Hocker (waived by the Seahawks); defensive linemen Earnest Brown IV and Marquise Copeland; linebacker Justin Lawler, and defensive backs Dont’e Deayon, Kareem Orr and Tyler Hall.

Has anyone seen this anywhere else? I have not, but it would be a good thing, I think. But I suspect the writer may just be wrong here.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Well - deserved. Rather that than a chiitty roster.
Special teams is going to be covered & expect a couple turnovers as well.Don’t give up the big return.
5-10 yards is made up by Matthew Gay making his FG.How many FG’s & extra points were missed last season? 1,2,3,4 ? Add them up & 5,5,7…….

Let’s talk about Les Sneads cocky-ness
Getting Covid mad him forget about the offensive line.Now The Rams have to put all the scrubs on the 53.Add have to start Brian Allen at Center.
You’d think instead of having 2 solid backup QB’s that have 2 quality starters
Giving up 4 first a 2nd & 3rd plus having to sign Jared Goff for $175 million.I don’t know why Mcvay doesn’t go to Demoff or at least over step him & talk to The Godfather Stan Kronke & don’t get into his corrupt businesses.
Really now
Pretty sure the Rams moves re: the offensive line are a result of Snead, McVay and Demoff being confident in the bodies in the building. Even the crustiest among us are affected by the fantasy football mindset. I mean, Cleveland now has one of if not the best OL in the NFL. Most even serious fans cannot name all 5 starters on that OL. The point isn't about any name, but can the player execute the play efficiently such that the offense can move the ball, get 1st downs and score touchdowns?

It's clear that McVay and Co are confident that they can with this group. They still have money and they had chances prior to and after the draft to get certain OL, but they didn't. Did they just barely miss on some OL they might have wanted? Maybe, but then they could also have traded for someone if they didn't like the OL.

Rest assured, they wouldn't have given up a mint for Stafford and gotten Sony Michel only to watch it all fall apart due to OL issues. Also, as an aside, I'm pretty sure no chemical or biological was responsible for Snead's "forgetting" about the OL. Rather, he just made choices which some fans disagree with... as happens every year.

I dispute the characterization that we gave up 4 1sts, etc... because we played games with Goff. He led us to 4 straight winning seasons and a Super Bowl appearance. That'd be like me saying that I paid $20k plus my car to get a new car. No... I paid $20k worth of my old car's value and then used the remaining equity to put a down on the new car. I can't just aggregate every expenditure and roll it forward so I can say that I paid $60k for my Honda Accord... that's just not how the math works... not with NFL players, draft or even just consumer math.

As for Kroenke... you name me a major real estate developer who isn't crooked and I'll produce a unicorn. Still prefer him to Georgia "Front-n-Reary"...

Okay... I've gotten into enough trouble with one post... carry on.