Rams GM Les Snead: Deal with QB Nick Foles 'definitely realistic'

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams GM Les Snead: Deal with QB Nick Foles 'definitely realistic'
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...-deal-with-qb-nick-foles-definitely-realistic

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- As players around the NFL ponder shutting down negotiations or even potentially holding out for a new contract, the St. Louis Rams and quarterback Nick Foles have continued dialogue on a new deal.

At the moment, nothing appears imminent but general manager Les Snead said Thursday that it's still possible something will get done with Foles before the end of the season. In other words, negotiations might not shut down once the season starts.

"Oh yes, I think it’s definitely realistic," Snead said. "I think both parties philosophically, us as an organization and ... he’s getting to that point where he wants to focus on football and let’s roll. And hey, let the chips fall where they may.

"I do think he’s excited about what’s around him. He thinks we’ll all be successful and that usually means success for the individual as well."

During organized team activities (OTAs) last month, the Rams openly acknowledged that they had interest in signing Foles to a contract extension despite his never having played in a game for them. They traded quarterback Sam Bradford to the Philadelphia Eagles for Foles and draft pick compensation in March, offering little time to evaluate Foles aside from what they saw on tape.

Getting a deal done with Foles would actually offer an interesting precedent. Quarterbacks with even a modicum of starting success -- let alone a season in which they threw 27 touchdowns and just two interceptions two years ago -- rarely get traded. In Foles' case, he's coming off a drop-off in production and an injury but�the Rams believed enough in him to part with a former No. 1 overall pick and doubled down by establishing that he could be their quarterback for the long term.

All of that after only spending a couple of months in Foles' presence. But while it's certainly unusual for a team to want to sign a mostly unproven quarterback to a big-money deal without having seen him play for your team, there are a couple of reasons the Rams have interest in getting a deal done.

First and foremost, Snead said the Rams are impressed with what they've seen, even in a small sample size.

"The first day you go in the building and throw with receivers and no coaches, whatever phase that may be, it seems like from that day that skill group was like 'Wow, we love this guy,'" Snead said. "It's not like he had been the quarterback here for two years, you had a case of his first day at school, hello to everybody, we don't know each other. He kind of took charge there. You can tell those guys will battle, he's done a nice job with leadership. That's the biggest thing I can say about him."

There are also economical reasons for a deal to get done. From the Rams' side, signing Foles to a contract before he plays for them would eliminate the chance he could have a huge 2015 season and drive his price up. That could mean getting him at a relative bargain compared to some of the lucrative deals other signal-callers have signed recently.

For his part, Foles said in the spring that he'd be open to getting something done with the Rams and didn't have plans to play out the season and "bet on" himself in hopes of upping the ante on a potential deal.

So theoretically, the Rams and Foles could strike a deal that allows the Rams to pay as they go while giving Foles a chance to gain some security.

And if Foles enters the season without a deal and proceeds to light it up, well, that's not such a bad thing either.

"I always go to this, hey if a QB is playing well and you're winning, having team success, you have no problem asking your owner to write the check," Snead said. "They've earned it, they've done it, so that's what makes this one a little bit interesting."

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Foles makes early impression with Rams; Gurley ahead of schedule
By Norm Sanders

http://www.bnd.com/sports/nfl/st-louis-rams/article29568511.html

While he hasn’t thrown a single pass in a game for the St. Louis Rams, quarterback Nick Foles has made the most of his transition period to a new team.

Since arriving in a March trade from the Philadelphia Eagles for quarterback Sam Bradford and a draft pick, Foles has gone out of his way to assert himself within all aspects of the franchise. That’s important for a team that has spent the past two seasons dealing with Bradford’s knee injuries and a series of backup quarterbacks.

Foles, 26, went right to work during organized team activities (OTAs) last month.

“The interesting thing is from the first day in all those phases, the first day you go in the building and throw with receivers and no coaches, whatever phase that may be, it seems like from that day that skill group was like ‘Wow, we love this guy,’’’ Rams General Manager Les Snead said Thursday at Rams Park. “It’s not like he had been the quarterback here for two years; you had a case of his first day at school, hello to everybody, we don’t know each other. He kind of took charge there.

“You can tell those guys will battle, he’s done a nice job with leadership. That’s the biggest thing I can say about him. Great guy.”

Snead said in his experience, it’s rare to see that immediate type of assimilation.

“I always put it in perspective,” said Snead, who confirmed he’s had talks with Foles and his agent about a contract extension with Foles in the final year of his current deal. “It’s one thing if you’ve been around three years and you walk in (and say) ‘Hey, let’s go.’ This guy is walking in the locker room and doesn’t know anybody and (says) ‘Hey, let’s go.’ It’s a little tougher.”’

In three seasons covering 28 games with the Eagles, Foles completed 61.1 percent of his passes (550-for-893) for 6,753 yards and 46 touchdowns with 17 interceptions. That includes a memorable 2013 season that saw the former University of Arizona star throw for 2,891 yards and 27 TDs with only two interceptions.

If Foles stays healthy, could that help a young Rams team that returns all 11 starters on defense and the majority of the skill positions on offense. Snead said Foles has won 63 percent of his games as a starter in the NFL, another good sign for a team trying to take a step up in the standings.

“That’s one of the big reasons going back to Sam, it would have been hard to let Sam go and not have a replacement,” Snead said. “Because we’ve kind of lived through that. Once Nick became available, that made it very intriguing because he’s actually taken a team to the playoffs.

“I’m not saying it’s all him, but he was part of a good organization, good team, good coaching staff, and they did what they had to do.”

Snead also addressed the status of 2015 first-round pick Todd Gurley, the star running back from Georgia coming off an ACL injury. On Tuesday, Gurley passed the Rams’ rookie conditioning test along with the rest of the draft class, showing his comeback may be a little ahead of schedule.

Snead said the rookies conditioning testing is harder than what the Rams put the veterans through, especially since it was 98 degrees that day with high humidity.

“It’s harder,” Snead said. “It’s the same distance, (but) it’s more stressful. All the strength and conditioning (guys) will tell you that the stopping and starting more...St. Louis can get hot and that day was hot. I called that a South Alabama day where you woke up and it was (hot and humid). That was the most impressive thing. The thing about Todd is he’s a large man coming off an ACL, it’s really hot and he’s rolling.”

While Gurley has shown positive signs, the Rams aren’t accelerating his comeback pace. It helps when the team has two proven running backs with NFL experience in Tre Mason and Benny Cunningham.

“He still needs time,” Snead said. “But in this scenario ... like we’ve always said there’s no black and white answer. It’s all gray, so you have to kind of measure him on a weekly basis to see where he’s at. How he’s getting stronger and also how he’s recovering and how everything’s handling (with) increased intensity. As all that meshes together, that will determine the date.”

Could Gurley be ready for the season opener Sept. 13 against Seattle?

“That would be a false black and white deadline,” Snead said. “We’ll kind of see how it goes from there.”

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rams working on deals for impending UFAs
By Nate Latsch

http://www.scout.com/nfl/rams/story/1568526-rams-working-on-deals-for-impending-ufas

ST. LOUIS — The Rams have several players set to become unrestricted free agents at the end of this season, including quarterback Nick Foles, but are already working to keep some of those players under contract.

“We’ve been discussing it with a lot of those guys,” Rams general manager Les Snead said Thursday. “We’ve definitely sat in with a few of them. We are very well aware. I think that’s where, in the big picture, that’s where we are all at.

“Big year, 2015, are we going to take the next step as a team? Are these players going to take the next step and maybe sign and become a part of the core? So we are all in these next few weeks and months are going to determine a lot of things.”

Among the Rams set to become unrestricted free agents next offseason, according to OverTheCap.com, are Foles, wide receiver Brian Quick, cornerbacks Janoris Jenkins and Trumaine Johnson, fullback-tight end Cory Harkey, free safety Rodney McLeod and defensive linemen William Hayes, Nick Fairley and Eugene Sims and kicker Greg Zuerlein.

Rams coach Jeff Fisher said during OTAs the team was hopeful to sign Foles, acquired in the offseason trade of Sam Bradford, to a contract extension before the start of the season.

Snead said Thursday it is realistic that they can get a deal done with their new quarterback before the end of the season.

“I think both parties philosophically, us as an organization and I give him credit, he’s getting to that point where he wants to focus on football and let’s roll,” Snead said. “And hey, let the chips fall where they may. I do think he’s excited about what’s around him. He thinks we’ll all be successful and that usually means success for the individual as well.”

Of course, the issue with the Rams waiting to sign Foles to a new deal could be that it will cost more if the QB has a successful season and enhances his value.

“I always go to this, hey, if a QB is playing well and you're winning, having team success, you have no problem asking your owner to write the check,” Snead said. “They've earned it, they've done it, so that's what makes this one a little bit interesting.”

The Rams were also recently linked to contract talks with Jenkins.

Snead didn’t want to name names on Thursday of the players the team has already begun negotiating new deals with, but they have enough players expected to become free agents that he will have his work cut out for him over the next few weeks and months.

“When there’s multiple number of those guys, we are getting to the point – which is a good thing – where you now have to start making decisions and balancing your budget,” Snead said. “If this guy gets this, who gets what?”

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I wanna see, if Les knows what he's talking about....I'm really gonna judge he, and Fisher, on the outcome of this season....esp. if every major component stays healthy....

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I wanna see, if Les knows what he's talking about....I'm really gonna judge he, and Fisher, on the outcome of this season....esp. if every major component stays healthy....
With this Health scenario, We'll definitely Know where we're at!!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
We've certainly got a lot of FA next year... But I really trust that KD has a plan. He's managed our cap masterfully over the years and I believe the Rams know exactly what they are doing.