Rams giving veterans down time during bye week/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams giving veterans down time during bye week
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/22487/rams-giving-veterans-down-time-during-bye-week

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- The St. Louis Rams opened their bye week Tuesday with a short practice focused on correcting mistakes from Sunday's loss to the Green Bay Packers and getting some young players much-needed repetitions.

“What you try to accomplish here is to get young guys some valuable reps during the bye week that haven’t really gotten the reps," coach Jeff Fisher said. "The backups need the reps. A lot of the starters need some reps here the first couple of days, so we take advantage of that. We even include the practice squad players with offense and defense, just to make sure that they’re ready at a moment’s notice. So, coaches got together and, like I said, yesterday we looked at some things that we need to improve and we got a head start on it today. So, it was a modified practice, particularly because it’s Tuesday. But we’ll have two good sessions Wednesday and Thursday.”

Those practices will follow a similar pattern with young players getting plenty of work and some of the team's more experienced veterans getting some time off. Beyond injured starters Chris Long (knee) and Rodger Saffold (shoulder), Fisher also granted some down time to linebacker James Laurinaitis, defensive tackle Michael Brockers, end Robert Quinn, tight end Lance Kendricks and running back Todd Gurley.

Injured safety Maurice Alexander, who has missed the past couple of games with a groin injury, worked on the side with trainers during the portion of practice open to reporters.

Fisher offered no further update on Saffold, although the Rams aren't required to offer an injury report during the bye week. But without Saffold, the majority of the offensive linemen stuck around for extra work.

As for the practice week, the bye is often used as a chance to do what NFL types call "self scouting." In other words, instead of just turning the page to the next opponent, Fisher and staff identify trends in performance and try to get those issues corrected through the course of the week.

“We’re self-scouting this week," Fisher said. "The coaches are ahead, but we’re just working on some things. Then, we had numerous mistakes on defense on the field, so we went through some of those just as a reminder, so they don’t come up. Then, we’re working on the first down stuff and polishing the run game. We have some technique things we need to work on, as far as special teams are concerned.”

The Rams play Cleveland in Week 7 and will get a head start in that regard but, for now, the focus is in-house.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rams notebook: Rams begin bye-week workouts
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_d9337475-9432-586c-a358-6aaa88bd18c6.html

The Rams kicked off their bye-week practices Tuesday, going through a quick workout without a number of veterans who were given the day off to rest.

Among those not practicing were defensive linemen Robert Quinn and Michael Brockers, linebacker James Laurinaitis, tight end Lance Kendricks and running back Todd Gurley. Also missing were the two players who suffered injuries Sunday — defensive end Chris Long (knee) and guard Rodger Saffold (shoulder).

Rams coach Jeff Fisher had no update on Saffold’s status, saying that they were still running tests. The team will not have another official injury report until Wednesday, Oct. 21.

Safety Maurice Alexander (Eureka High), who’s missed the last two games with a groin injury, worked out with team trainers Tuesday.

The offensive line did some extra work after Tuesday’s workout.

Fisher said the team has a method to its bye-week work.

“What you try to accomplish here is to get young guys some valuable reps ...’’ the coach said. “The backups need the reps. A lot of the starters need some reps here the first couple of days, so we take advantage of that. We even include the practice squad players with the offense and defense, just to make sure they they’re ready at a moment’s notice. So the coaches got together yesterday, we looked at some things that we need to improve and we got a head start on it today.

“It was a modified practice, but we’ll have two good sessions Wednesday and Thursday.’’

The Rams, who won’t play again until hosting the Cleveland Browns on Oct. 25 at the Edward Jones Dome, are making use of the off week to evaluate what went right and wrong during the team’s 2-3 start.

“We’re self-scouting this week,’’ Fisher said. “The coaches are ahead (in their game-planning for Cleveland), but we’re just working on some things.’’

GURLEY EXPECTS MORE OF HIMSELF

After sitting out the first two games and running for 9 yards on six carries in Week 3, Gurley has clearly arrived as a key in the Rams’ attack.

After coming on strong in the second half of a 24-22 win over the host Arizona Cardinals in his first NFL start, Gurley ran 30 times for 156 yards Sunday as the Rams fell 24-10 to the Green Bay Packers at Lambeau Field.

“I feel fine,’’ the former University of Georgia star said Tuesday. “I was a little banged up, but nothing the cold tub and treatment can’t take care of. The knee feels fine.’’

Was he prepared for 30 carries?

“I don’t know about all that, but we’ll see,’’ said Gurley, who’s still not completely satisfied with his performance. “The explosive plays, I think they’re a good sign, but it’s definitely frustrating not being able to finish runs, to take them all the way. I feel like there were a couple of runs where I could’ve broken the tackle or maybe kept my feet. And, in the first quarter, I was still trying to get a feel for the game and missed on a couple of reads. But those are things that I know I’ll get better at.’’

One strength evident Sunday was Gurley’s ability to stiff-arm.

“It’s something that comes natural for me, something we’ve work on with (running backs coach Ben Sirmans),’’ he said. “The key with the stiff-arm is you can’t show it too early because then the defender knows what you’re doing. Gotta strike him and keep it moving.’’

Gurley said he talked to former Georgia teammate Nick Chubb on Monday. Chubb, the Bulldogs’ next great back, suffered a season-injury Saturday in a 38-31 loss at Tennessee. Last November, Gurley’s college career ended similarly.

“I just told him to enjoy it,’’ Gurley said. “Even though he’s injured and nobody wants to be hurt, this is a time for him to focus on himself , to stay positive, to work hard and to make sure he’s doing things right because once he gets back to football, it’s definitely going to be a grind.

“But it’s nothing he can’t handle.’’

GURLEY NOMINATED AGAIN

The reigning Pepsi NFL rookie of the week, Gurley has been nominated again after the big game against the Packers.

His competition: Green Bay cornerback Quinten Rollins, Seattle running back Thomas Rawls, Tampa Bay quarterback Jameis Winston and Arizona running back David Johnson.

Fans can vote through Friday at 2 p.m. at www.nfl.com/rookies.

At the end of the regular season, five players will be nominated for Pepsi NFL Rookie of the Year honors, with fan voting through January. The winner will be announced at the 5th annual NFL Honors awards show in San Francisco on Saturday, Feb. 6, the night before Super Bowl 50.

RAM-BLINGS

• Running back Trey Watts, a second-year pro from the University of Tulsa, cleared waivers Tuesday. At his Monday news conference, Fisher said the Rams would try to re-sign him to the practice squad.Signed as an undrafted free agent, the versatile Watts enjoyed a solid rookie campaign with the Rams, mostly on special teams.

• Linebacker Alec Ogletree, the team’s leading tackler, was spotted in the locker room Tuesday. He’s in a cast and using a cart after having surgery for a broken leg suffered against Arizona.

• The Kansas City Chiefs signed linebacker Jayson DiManche (Southern Illinois) and guard Michael Liedtke (Illinois State) to their practice squad Tuesday.

Alan

Legend
What I don't understand, well one of the things I don't understand, is why they don't have practice for all the players who didn't play in the game. We have a lot of players who are on the PS, didn't make the active list or didn't play in the game that could some some reps even if it's only practice. So why aren't they practicing? Is it the CBA (don't think so) or what?

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
good! that Oline can get their ass back on the practice field. the D can take a very deserved week off. but Foles should be staying and getting extra reps with the recievers. honestly everybody on the offense except the RBs should be on the practice field this week

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
The bye week should not be a mini vacation it should be a time to get extra hours in building continuity. With Saffold being out I'm happy to hear the oline IS getting that extra work in. What about the freaking WRs and TE they should be running their azzes off after a crappy start to the year. Main job catch the freaking ball CATCH THE BALL!!! I want to see all the I should have had that goneand see some how the hell did he catch that plays and it doesn't happen by taking extra time off.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
What I don't understand, well one of the things I don't understand, is why they don't have practice for all the players who didn't play in the game. We have a lot of players who are on the PS, didn't make the active list or didn't play in the game that could some some reps even if it's only practice. So why aren't they practicing? Is it the CBA (don't think so) or what?
I believe Fisher said he had members of the PS out their with the starters getting extra reps. maybe not as much as we want, but they're out their!

Alan

Legend
DaveFan'51 with a smidgen of good news:
I believe Fisher said he had members of the PS out their with the starters getting extra reps. maybe not as much as we want, but they're out their!
Well that's good to hear. Thanks Dave! (y)

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Whatever it is they need to do now's the time to get it done. If they really think they are a playoff contender the next 4 games are crucial to that. They finally have a stretch of beatable opponents. They need to get that consistency down and win those type of games. They can't have a repeat of the Redskins game.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
The bye week should not be a mini vacation it should be a time to get extra hours in building continuity. With Saffold being out I'm happy to hear the oline IS getting that extra work in. What about the freaking WRs and TE they should be running their azzes off after a crappy start to the year. Main job catch the freaking ball CATCH THE BALL!!! I want to see all the I should have had that goneand see some how the hell did he catch that plays and it doesn't happen by taking extra time off.

That's what the bye week is intended for. Mini vacation. It's not like they are just completely letting themselves go.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
That's what the bye week is intended for. Mini vacation. It's not like they are just completely letting themselves go.
For a team that has a winning history go for it. For a team that is trying to become relevant and who has players hold the rest of the team back, there needs to be some kind of motivation.

Some players perform for carrots others need a stick.

V3

Hall of Fame
Not one of the O-lineman should be having short practices or time off. They didn't get the reps in preseason and it showed. They still need more reps.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
good! that Oline can get their ass back on the practice field. the D can take a very deserved week off. but Foles should be staying and getting extra reps with the recievers. honestly everybody on the offense except the RBs should be on the practice field this week
Agree.

These coaches know who is, and who isn't performing up to their abilities.

Those players need to stay and get as many reps as possible. And, if I were the coach, I'd make sure they knew that the players who were contributing got the day(s) off.

Some of these guys need tough love.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Good!!

Bye week gives Rams chance to shore up offensive line
R.B. Fallstrom
AP
Oct 13, 2015 at 7:16p ET
http://www.foxsports.com/midwest/st...rams-chance-to-shore-up-offensive-line-101315

ST. LOUIS -- The St. Louis Rams lost plenty of experience on the offensive line when guard Rodger Saffold injured his shoulder in the first half of Sunday's loss in Green Bay.

They're using the bye week to help figure out what to do.

Left tackle Greg Robinson, in his second year and now a veteran in this group, said part of Tuesday's workout was devoted to dealing with stunts and twists that teams have been throwing at the Rams (2-3). Coaches are stressing that proper technique can foil such tactics.

"We worked on it a lot today, just because it was so obvious that teams have noticed we've struggled with it and if we don't fix it it's going to continue to happen," Robinson said. "Once you stop them, they'll stop gaming us."

Linemen worked on making sure they popped back off the line at the snap to give themselves room to deal with the rushes that are coming from everywhere.

"If we keep everything in front of us, they'll basically be twisting on air," Robinson said. "If we give them our bodies and we don't get back it's easier for them to knock us off-balance."

The line is a collection of diligent workers absorbing the finer points of the game from line coach Paul Boudreau.

"If we don't exaggerate the techniques in practice, we won't really fix the games," Robinson said. "Nine times out of 10 they will give it away, guys will talk or there will be things you notice."

Saffold, a six-year veteran, will be out indefinitely with a right shoulder injury. He also had problems with the shoulder during the preseason. And he has had issues with his left shoulder, and underwent surgery after last season.

On Tuesday, coach Jeff Fisher had no update on the prognosis for Saffold, who had been undergoing testing.

"He was one of the vets in the room and we need that leadership on the field," Robinson said. "I just hope that things go well and he can stick it out."

The Rams signed swingman Garrett Reynolds to a free agent deal in the offseason for just such a situation. He has 27 starts, including four last season at tackle with Detroit and 10 at guard in 2013 with Atlanta.

"Nothing was ever said to me, but that's just the kind of person I've always been," Reynolds said. "Wherever you need me, throw me in there and I'll be ready to roll."

The Rams made it tougher on the opposition when they separated rookies Rob Havenstein and Jamon Brown, who played side by side much of the preseason. Havenstein stayed at right tackle and Brown moved to left guard.

"Breaking us up made it harder to pinpoint, but we've still had our share of twists and stunts," said Brown, a third-round pick. "I think teams are going to keep doing it because it's the hardest thing to pick up."

Even after losing Saffold, the line showed its strength in the run game by opening holes for rookie Todd Gurley. Gurley had 146 yards at Arizona in his first start and topped that with 159 yards last week. He ranks second among rookies with 314 yards to go with a 5.7-yard average.

"Gurley has had two big games," Robinson said. "He's a great player, he's been running hard -- and we've been blocking hard."

Hey Man

Starter
Name
Hey Man
Just Fix IT !!! You guys get TONS of money to play this game. FIX IT so win can get above 500

Angry Ram

For a team that has a winning history go for it. For a team that is trying to become relevant and who has players hold the rest of the team back, there needs to be some kind of motivation.

Some players perform for carrots others need a stick.

That's just not gonna happen.

It's not to say they won't do anything, it's just that they aren't going be there 24/7. There's a variety of factors (CBA, injuries, general life, etc).

And who are we to assume there is no motivation or they aren't doing all they can?

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
That's just not gonna happen.

It's not to say they won't do anything, it's just that they aren't going be there 24/7. There's a variety of factors (CBA, injuries, general life, etc).

And who are we to assume there is no motivation or they aren't doing all they can?
Its easy to see when watching the games to see they are not doing all they can do. Watching the plays instead of blocking, quiting on routes, committing stupid penalties. These guys get paid mega $$$ if they aren't doing 50 hour+ work weeks that isn't enough.

Angry Ram

Its easy to see when watching the games to see they are not doing all they can do. Watching the plays instead of blocking, quiting on routes, committing stupid penalties. These guys get paid mega $$$ if they aren't doing 50 hour+ work weeks that isn't enough.

Your basing that off 1 game tho. It wasn't terrible until GB. Inconsistent, sure. As bad as it was last Sunday? No way. And what stupid penalty are you talking about? I haven't noticed much of any this season.

Also I could care less what they get paid. Again, they aren't going to do anything more or less during the bye week. It's just how it is throughout the league. Bye week is intended to rest up and get away from the game, but at the same time be in game form. They aren't going to anything extra special just b/c internet fans think they should.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Your basing that off 1 game tho. It wasn't terrible until GB. Inconsistent, sure. As bad as it was last Sunday? No way. And what stupid penalty are you talking about? I haven't noticed much of any this season.

Also I could care less what they get paid. Again, they aren't going to do anything more or less during the bye week. It's just how it is throughout the league. Bye week is intended to rest up and get away from the game, but at the same time be in game form. They aren't going to anything extra special just b/c internet fans think they should.
Actually there have been bad drops all season, Kendricks in the Steeler game is the most obvious that everyone knows about. Quiting on a route like the play Cook had to give up a pick against GB is never acceptable. They should be running every route as if they expect to get the ball, even if they are not the primary target on a given play. Anything less than that is unacceptable.

Stupid penalties like offsides when the ball is under your nose, I don't care what the situation is those guys in the middle of the defensive line should never be offsides, not lined up offsides and not jumping the count. Just watch the damn ball.

I can take a hold, it happens, especially if it is protecting the QB. Or even a PI sometimes if it stops a TD. There are penalties from trying too hard that are going to happen, I get that but pre-snap penalties should have consequences, the stick.