Rams Give Tryouts to Two Canadian League Stars

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bluecoconuts

Legend
The biggest thing with Kalil is the drop off for me... I think we can find gems with the WR's late if we scout well, as well as it being a pretty deep FA class.

But if Lloyd leaves that makes it harder.... I'm still thinking that Kalil should be the pick unless we trade down personally... If we can trade down and still be in position to grab Blackmon that's good.

Either way, Kalil, Blackmon are two picks I wont be upset we have. In the two spot, I'm saying Kalil though.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
DR RAM said:
Angry Ram said:
The only thing I worry if they prefer the Kalil route, is if Blackmon goes somewhere and is an instant stud, while Sam has who to throw to?

Amendola- Great slot, possesion guy.

Salas- YAC guy.

DX- Deep guy, but not reliable b/c of his injury.

Kendricks- I like his potential but you can't rely on a TE as a #1 WR.

W/ Pettis being suspended, I don't think he'll be back unless he has a stud TC. Same with the other guys (Gibson, Clayton, etc.)

I really, really hope the Rams can sign Marques Colston or find another star WR, b/c then I'd have no problem w/ Kalil.
The way things are shaping up in the draft, the Rams won't stay put unless they fall in love with Kalil. That's my read right now, even as good as I think Blackmon is. Blackmon could still be available in a tradedown scenario. Kalil will be gone by pick 3, a few teams may try to trade up for him.

Yeah trade down is an option too, but I don't think they should unless Cleveland gives both 1st round picks. B/c Jax would no doubt take Blackmon. You know what would be cool tho? If Cleveland does give both 1st rounders, and the Rams use their 2nd rounder to trade back up into the 1st round...3 1st round picks!!

bluecoconuts said:
The biggest thing with Kalil is the drop off for me... I think we can find gems with the WR's late if we scout well, as well as it being a pretty deep FA class.

But if Lloyd leaves that makes it harder.... I'm still thinking that Kalil should be the pick unless we trade down personally... If we can trade down and still be in position to grab Blackmon that's good.

Either way, Kalil, Blackmon are two picks I wont be upset we have. In the two spot, I'm saying Kalil though.

Well why couldn't they fnd a LT gem? As great as Joe Thomas and Jake Long are, their teams don't so hot. OTs don't score TDs...

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Angry Ram said:
DR RAM said:
Angry Ram said:
The only thing I worry if they prefer the Kalil route, is if Blackmon goes somewhere and is an instant stud, while Sam has who to throw to?

Salas- YAC guy.

W/ Pettis being suspended, I don't think he'll be back unless he has a stud TC. Same with the other guys (Gibson, Clayton, etc.)

I really, really hope the Rams can sign Marques Colston or find another star WR, b/c then I'd have no problem w/ Kalil.
The way things are shaping up in the draft, the Rams won't stay put unless they fall in love with Kalil. That's my read right now, even as good as I think Blackmon is. Blackmon could still be available in a tradedown scenario. Kalil will be gone by pick 3, a few teams may try to trade up for him.

Yeah trade down is an option too, but I don't think they should unless Cleveland gives both 1st round picks. B/c Jax would no doubt take Blackmon. You know what would be cool tho? If Cleveland does give both 1st rounders, and the Rams use their 2nd rounder to trade back up into the 1st round...3 1st round picks!!

bluecoconuts said:

Well why couldn't they fnd a LT gem? As great as Joe Thomas and Jake Long are, their teams don't so hot. OTs don't score TDs...

No offense, but there's quite a few first round/first round calibre offensive tackles on the playoff teams alone on both the left and right sides.

Without Ryan Clady, Tim Tebow doesn't get time to throw to Thomas and Decker. Without Bryan Bulaga, Rodgers gets no time to throw to his many targets. Plus the Packers drafted Derek Sherrod with the last pick in the first round last year.

Say what you want about Michael Oher, but he's done a good job at protecting Flacco's blindside. Bryant McKinnie, their right tackle, was a first round pick of the Vikings. He protected Daunte Culpepper's blindside when he was good.

The Falcons have a struggling Sam Baker (also a first round draft pick) at left tackle. Because of his struggles, Matty Ice has no time to throw to White, Jones, or Gonzalez.

The Houston Texans selected Duane Brown in the first round of 2009. He's protected the blindside of their quarterbacks.

The Detroit Lions selected their right tackle, Gosder Cherilus, in the first round with the intention of moving him to the left side. He hasn't done that, but he's been starting on the right side since the first day.

The Bengals selected a top 30 prospect in Andrew Whitworth in 2006, who fell because of his age (he was 24 at the time of the 2006 draft).

The 49ers have three offensive linemen selected in the first round: Staley, Iupati, and Davis.

The Patriots drafted Nate Solder with their only first round pick this year. Why? To protect Brady. He hasn't seen the field, but they intend for him to be the left tackle of the future.

Orlando Pace was the primary reason why Kurt Warner rarely ever had pressure from his blindside.

Even Rodger Saffold was a legitimate first round prospect; Polian admitted that he made a huge mistake selecting Jerry Hughes over Saffold.

First round left tackles don't go in the later rounds. They almost always become guards and right tackles. The Jermon Bushrods of the world are very rare, and the Saints had years to develop him behind Jammal Brown (another first round left tackle).

Meanwhile, I can rattle of the names of many wideouts drafted after the first round that have made contributions to their teams (the first guys on the list being Mike Wallace and Greg Jennings). Out of all of the Saints wideouts, only Robert Meacham was selected in the first round. When you get to the Packers, none of their wideouts were selected in the first round. Same with the Patriots, Ravens, and Steelers.

I'm not saying that I wouldn't cheer for the Justin Blackmon pick if we traded down - I definitely think that Blackmon is a very talented wide receiver just below the level of the Johnsons, Fitzgerald, Green, and Jones. I'm just saying that I like Kalil a lot more at the number two spot. I'm also saying that left tackles are a lot more important to a team's success than people think.

Angry Ram

Memento said:
Angry Ram said:
DR RAM said:
Angry Ram said:

Salas- YAC guy.

bluecoconuts said:

No offense, but there's quite a few first round/first round calibre offensive tackles on the playoff teams alone on both the left and right sides.

Without Ryan Clady, Tim Tebow doesn't get time to throw to Thomas and Decker. Without Bryan Bulaga, Rodgers gets no time to throw to his many targets. Plus the Packers drafted Derek Sherrod with the last pick in the first round last year.

Say what you want about Michael Oher, but he's done a good job at protecting Flacco's blindside. Bryant McKinnie, their right tackle, was a first round pick of the Vikings. He protected Daunte Culpepper's blindside when he was good.

The Falcons have a struggling Sam Baker (also a first round draft pick) at left tackle. Because of his struggles, Matty Ice has no time to throw to White, Jones, or Gonzalez.

The Houston Texans selected Duane Brown in the first round of 2009. He's protected the blindside of their quarterbacks.

The Detroit Lions selected their right tackle, Gosder Cherilus, in the first round with the intention of moving him to the left side. He hasn't done that, but he's been starting on the right side since the first day.

The Bengals selected a top 30 prospect in Andrew Whitworth in 2006, who fell because of his age (he was 24 at the time of the 2006 draft).

The 49ers have three offensive linemen selected in the first round: Staley, Iupati, and Davis.

The Patriots drafted Nate Solder with their only first round pick this year. Why? To protect Brady. He hasn't seen the field, but they intend for him to be the left tackle of the future.

Orlando Pace was the primary reason why Kurt Warner rarely ever had pressure from his blindside.

Even Rodger Saffold was a legitimate first round prospect; Polian admitted that he made a huge mistake selecting Jerry Hughes over Saffold.

First round left tackles don't go in the later rounds. They almost always become guards and right tackles. The Jermon Bushrods of the world are very rare, and the Saints had years to develop him behind Jammal Brown (another first round left tackle).

Meanwhile, I can rattle of the names of many wideouts drafted after the first round that have made contributions to their teams (the first guys on the list being Mike Wallace and Greg Jennings). Out of all of the Saints wideouts, only Robert Meacham was selected in the first round. When you get to the Packers, none of their wideouts were selected in the first round. Same with the Patriots, Ravens, and Steelers.

I'm not saying that I wouldn't cheer for the Justin Blackmon pick if we traded down - I definitely think that Blackmon is a very talented wide receiver just below the level of the Johnsons, Fitzgerald, Green, and Jones. I'm just saying that I like Kalil a lot more at the number two spot. I'm also saying that left tackles are a lot more important to a team's success than people think.

Every single team you mentioned have or had a stud WR to throw to, though. Julio Jones has been a stud lately, BTW. Just sayin. Yeah the Steelers, Patriots, Packers don't have 1st round wideouts. But they have stud, stud QBs. And honestly if any other QB besides Roethlisberger weren't under center, I don't think Wallace/Sanders/Antonio Brown would be as good as they are. The Steeler OL is absolutely horrible.

Was Saffold's rookie performance a fluke?? IDK, that's for the coaching staff to decide. But IMO if a rookie LT comes in and allows 3.5 sacks all season, that's not a fluke. I guess what I'm saying is to not give up on Saffold on the left side.

Look, if the Rams get a stud WR somewhere, I'm all in the Kalil bandwagon. But right now, I think Blackmon would make more of an impact.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Angry Ram said:
Every single team you mentioned have or had a stud WR to throw to, though. Julio Jones has been a stud lately, BTW. Just sayin. Yeah the Steelers, Patriots, Packers don't have 1st round wideouts. But they have stud, stud QBs. And honestly if any other QB besides Roethlisberger weren't under center, I don't think Wallace/Sanders/Antonio Brown would be as good as they are. The Steeler OL is absolutely horrible.

Was Saffold's rookie performance a fluke?? IDK, that's for the coaching staff to decide. But IMO if a rookie LT comes in and allows 3.5 sacks all season, that's not a fluke. I guess what I'm saying is to not give up on Saffold on the left side.

Look, if the Rams get a stud WR somewhere, I'm all in the Kalil bandwagon. But right now, I think Blackmon would make more of an impact.

The way I see it, picking Kalil isn't giving up on Saffold. If anything it's probably more giving up on Smith really... Moving Saffold to the right side, where he was originally drafted to play, would be good because we're seeing more teams deploy strong pass rushing DE's on both side, similar to what we have with Chris Long. It doesn't hurt having another good young T there... Especially if we can move Smith to LG, assuming he is willing to restructure, and is able to play there (health wise mostly)...

With Blackmon, it's not that I don't like him, I will love the pick if they grab him.

Personally the way I see it, is you draft the BPA unless it's a position you really don't need, and then you go to the next guy on the list.

We have a need with the O-Line, WR, DT, OLB above all else.

So if the BPA is an offensive lineman, why not grab him? Especially since Blackmon is someone who should realistically be drafted in the 4-8 range. Now if we wanted to trade down to that spot, get more picks and get Blackmon? Hell yeah, lets do it.

However personally if I'm sitting in the war room, and I have Kalil and Blackmon both sitting there, I'm taking Kalil. Why? Because taking Blackmon improves 1 position (assuming Lloyd resigns), the #2WR spot. Taking Kalil improves 2-3 positions, possibly 4. LT (he goes there) RT (Saffold moves over) LG (Smith goes) and possibly C (given there are two better G's flanking the C)....

That's my logic anyway.

Kalil, Blackmon, Claiborne, there are really a lot of picks I will be happy with. Pretty much the only thing I would be pissed/confused about would be DE and QB... Probably ILB, but I might be confused as to why, unless we're moving him out.

However, I don't want a reach. Blackmon at #2 is a slight reach. Slight, but a reach nonetheless.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Angry Ram said:

We have a young stud quarterback, in my honest opinion. We saw what Bradford could do with inferior wideouts and time to throw in 2010. Why not give him the latter? He sure as hell didn't have time this year. We could get a top wideout in free agency or in the second or third round of the draft; there are literally tons of good young wide receivers in this year's draft, including guys like Mohamed Sanu (Rutgers), Marvin McNutt (Iowa), and Dwight Jones (North Carolina).

As for Saffold's performance on the left side? I love the guy and what he brings to the team. But can you imagine someone like Kalil on the blindside while Saffold protects the right side? That would be sweet. Plus you have Dahl helping out Saffold on the right side.

Basically, I agree with bluecoconuts. Why improve only one position when you can improve two or three or even four with one pick?

Angry Ram

Well taking Blackmon would help more than 1 posistion....

1. No more 8, 9 in the box = help for SJack, and possibly the OL so the D don't blitz more (for risk of being burned) which leads to

2. Help for Bradford who wouldn't be the most blitzed QB in the league.

3. No more double/triple coverage for Amendola/Clayton/whoever is the #2 guy.

4. Opens up the middle and underneath for guys like Kendricks/Salas.

5. Possibly no more 3rd down shotgun draws.

6. Possibly score more than 1 TD a game (gasp!), drives can be extended, giving the defense much needed rest.

Again, more of an impact than Kalil giving Bradford all the time in the world, only to have Brandon Gibson drop a pass.

I think we're gonna have to agree to disagree on this one. Kalil will make an impact, just not as much as Blackmon could (IMO).

steferfootball

Starter
IMO a better OL coach and a better offensive system will do wonders for our OL.

Plus it will be a new year and a fresh start.

SAMTHERAM

Hi everyone, been reading this forum for a while and not speaking(a man of lttle words) but just adding that linebacker Solomon Elimimian was voted by his peers in the CFL as the hardest hitting player in the CFL; something the Rams could use !

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
SAMTHERAM said:
Hi everyone, been reading this forum for a while and not speaking(a man of lttle words) but just adding that linebacker Solomon Elimimian was voted by his peers in the CFL as the hardest hitting player in the CFL; something the Rams could use !
Nice contribution, Thank you...and welcome.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
SAMTHERAM said:

Yeah, thanks for that. That's all I need to know to give the guy a shot on this roster. If he has speed and smarts, that's a keeper!