Rams give Jon Toth, C, a tryout

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Hmmmm ... musta been something they found at the combine medical evals? those are the only ones that seem to "crop up" out of nowhere. Whatever. Gives us a shot at him. Still a bit perplexed as to why it is a "tryout" instead of a straight UDFA signing though.
Yeah. I was wondering the same thing.
Possibly, they want to see if he's worth keeping, over another prospect already on the squad.

RamsFlash80

Pro Bowler
Hmmmm ... musta been something they found at the combine medical evals? those are the only ones that seem to "crop up" out of nowhere. Whatever. Gives us a shot at him. Still a bit perplexed as to why it is a "tryout" instead of a straight UDFA signing though.

It does seem since it took this much time after the draft he was looking at the best situation for him. His twitter has been dead since the first day of the draft. He has a good sense of humor lol :ROFLMAO:. But he hasnt tweeted since then.

View: https://twitter.com/Jtoeth/status/857772580635324418

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
It does seem since it took this much time after the draft he was looking at the best situation for him. His twitter has been dead since the first day of the draft. He has a good sense of humor lol :ROFLMAO:. But he hasnt tweeted since then.

View: https://twitter.com/Jtoeth/status/857772580635324418

I'm all for it. Like I have said in many posts ... Iron sharpens iron and I like the approach of competition across the board. It's how the Patriots do it. It's how Seattle does it. EARN your spot.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.scout.com/nfl/2017-nfl-d...m_campaign=mockdraft0421&utm_medium=editorial

2017 NFL Draft Rankings

1. Tyler Orlosky
2. Patrick Elflein
3. Jon Toth/6'5" 310
4. Mason Cole
5. Cameron Tom

https://www.seccountry.com/kentucky/jon-toth-5-things-to-know-about-the-2017-nfl-draft-prospect

Here are 5 things to know about Toth.

1. Jon Toth ended his college career with a nation-high 47 consecutive starts
Toth saw immediate playing time at Kentucky, and that translated into quite the run. He started 47 of his 48 games for the Wildcats, ending with 47 consecutive starts. Toth was named second team All-SEC after his senior season.

2. Jon Toth graduated with a degree in mechanical engineering
His smarts were one of the things Toth was best known for at Kentucky. He graduated with a degree in mechanical engineering and was named to the SEC academic honor roll three times. He was a nominee for the National Football Foundation’s Scholar-Athlete Award.

3. Jon Toth’s offensive line sprung two 1,000-yard rushers in 2016
Kentucky featured a pair of 1,000-yard rushers in Boom Williams and Benny Snell. Toth’s offensive line deserves partial credit for the effort. The Wildcats averaged 241 yards per game on the ground — the best mark in school history. Williams averaged more than 7 yards per carry and Snell broke the Kentucky freshman rushing record.

4. Jon Toth wasn’t a high-profile prospect out of high school
Toth was the 14th-ranked commitment in Kentucky’s 2012 signing class, but he quickly outperformed his fellow classmates. Toth, from Brebeuf Jesuit Preparatory in Indianapolis, was ranked the 65th guard in the 2012 class and No. 24 prospect from Indiana.

5. Jon Toth was recently named ‘Mr. Wildcat’
The honors of Mr. and Miss. Wildcat are given every year at the CATSPYs — Kentucky’s annual athletics awards show. Toth was named Mr. Wildcat, “given for all-around excellence in athletics, academics, character and service.”

View: https://twitter.com/UKFootball/status/857323398145474565/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.seccountry.com%2Fkentucky%2Fjon-toth-5-things-to-know-about-the-2017-nfl-draft-prospect

Why does this remind me of a former injured Rams center, Barrett Jones, that washed out after going to the Steelers, Bears, and Eagles?

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
If this guy can get healthy I think the front office crushed this FA and Draft period with what they had available to them. I really like the possibility of finding a strong developmental C between McMeans, Eldenkamp and Toth with his tryout. With a Center they like, they really just need to find a Tackle of the future and the depth on paper looks pretty good IMO.

Rocko

UDFA
This is the guy I had down for the Rams picking in the 6th round. When he didn't get drafted, I was really surprised. Then I thought the Rams would pick him up immediately after the draft as a UDFA. When I read that the 49er's signed him, I thought we lost out on our future center. Then I go and do a little digging around and end up on a Kentucky forum, and they say he hadn't actually been signed by San Francisco. Lo and behold, I just read that the Rams are trying him out - yes!! I hope this guy sticks, I just got a feeling......

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If he isn't fully healthy he sounds like a great guy to red shirt and let him learn for a year while building some Kromer strength.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Rams are a good team for him. Assuming he gets his health back, he will have a solid roster shot.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
Tempering my expectations with this one, after all I read up on Barrett Jones and got hyped from us getting him.. :sick:

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Awesome! Toth is a hell of a center, and I'm glad that he's here, if only on a tryout.

Memphis Ram

Legend
http://draftanalyst.com/senior-bowl-south-team-practice-page

Name: Jon Toth

School: Kentucky

Ht: 6047

Wt: 308

Arm: 33 1/8

Hand: 10

Tues: Toth had his struggles all day long. He was bull-rushed off the line and generally looked poor.

Wed: Toth struggled again. He was run over and beaten on a number of occasions.

Thurs: Once again it was a struggle for Toth. On successive reps he was run over by Montravius Adams, then by Carlos Watkins.

Analysis: Toth struggled every day of practice and was manhandled by the likes of Montravius Adams and Carlos Watkins.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Toth has the size that always seems to agree with Aaron Kromer. Sure looks like the Rams Org. has a sizable mix of center prospects:

They have signed veteran pure center in John Sullivan to a 1 yr salary cap friendly contract but the vet has only started 1 game :cautious:the last 2 seasons. They signed 2 UDFA's who are listed as centers in Anthony McMeans & Jake Eldrenkamp both have long healthy college careers with very good accommodations. Now they have taken a look @ Jon Toth.

These four will join the only hold over center from the last 3 season in Demetrius Rhaney. In addition the three crossover 3 yr prospects in Jamon Brown / Cody Wichmann & Andrew Donnal who might have some latent cloaked center skills to showoff as to secure a 53 roster spot. Those above 3 will feel the heat due to the fact that with the signing of starting LT Whitworth that bumped GRob into the mix @ RT or LG plus the move of Rob Havenstein into RG post has added competition to the OT reserves of Pace Murphy & Darrell Williams. Same situation ongoing @ reserve OG competition. Problem with those three 2015 draft selection has been an inability to remain healthy in their first 2 seasons.

Last edited:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
http://www.scout.com/nfl/2017-nfl-d...m_campaign=mockdraft0421&utm_medium=editorial

2017 NFL Draft Rankings

1. Tyler Orlosky
2. Patrick Elflein
3. Jon Toth/6'5" 310
4. Mason Cole
5. Cameron Tom

https://www.seccountry.com/kentucky/jon-toth-5-things-to-know-about-the-2017-nfl-draft-prospect

Here are 5 things to know about Toth.

1. Jon Toth ended his college career with a nation-high 47 consecutive starts
Toth saw immediate playing time at Kentucky, and that translated into quite the run. He started 47 of his 48 games for the Wildcats, ending with 47 consecutive starts. Toth was named second team All-SEC after his senior season.

2. Jon Toth graduated with a degree in mechanical engineering
His smarts were one of the things Toth was best known for at Kentucky. He graduated with a degree in mechanical engineering and was named to the SEC academic honor roll three times. He was a nominee for the National Football Foundation’s Scholar-Athlete Award.

3. Jon Toth’s offensive line sprung two 1,000-yard rushers in 2016
Kentucky featured a pair of 1,000-yard rushers in Boom Williams and Benny Snell. Toth’s offensive line deserves partial credit for the effort. The Wildcats averaged 241 yards per game on the ground — the best mark in school history. Williams averaged more than 7 yards per carry and Snell broke the Kentucky freshman rushing record.

4. Jon Toth wasn’t a high-profile prospect out of high school
Toth was the 14th-ranked commitment in Kentucky’s 2012 signing class, but he quickly outperformed his fellow classmates. Toth, from Brebeuf Jesuit Preparatory in Indianapolis, was ranked the 65th guard in the 2012 class and No. 24 prospect from Indiana.

5. Jon Toth was recently named ‘Mr. Wildcat’
The honors of Mr. and Miss. Wildcat are given every year at the CATSPYs — Kentucky’s annual athletics awards show. Toth was named Mr. Wildcat, “given for all-around excellence in athletics, academics, character and service.”

View: https://twitter.com/UKFootball/status/857323398145474565/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.seccountry.com%2Fkentucky%2Fjon-toth-5-things-to-know-about-the-2017-nfl-draft-prospect

Why does this remind me of a former injured Rams center, Barrett Jones, that washed out after going to the Steelers, Bears, and Eagles?

Where is Ethan Pocic - LSU in these Rankings!? I thought he was "#1"!!

Rams43

Hall of Fame
This influx of C prospects indicates that Rhaney might be on thin ice with Kromer, don't you think?

I mean, Sullivan plus 3 UDFA's?

Not that I disapprove, mind you.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Geez? What happened to this guy? :unsure:
Why does this remind me of a former injured Rams center, Barrett Jones,
You stop that right now PT!
Analysis: Toth struggled every day of practice and was manhandled by the likes of Montravius Adams and Carlos Watkins.
But he played well in the game....we talkin bout practice?

Where is Ethan Pocic - LSU in these Rankings!? I thought he was "#1"!!
They have him listed as a offensive guard.

Personally, I thought we'd draft this guy...where we took price the way the draft board fell...No worries...now lets see if he's healthy. I also liked another center...guy from Utah...JJ Dielman...think he went to the AFC. But his injury was lis franc and he STILL got drafted?!? So the Toth thing worries me:eek:

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
Well-Played Snead/McVay,Toth will be a major steal.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
I see Chris Watt is in for a tryout as well. He was a mid round pick in 2014 for the chargers. He got injured and they cut him. They are really turning over all the stones to create competition at Center. I love it!

Last edited: