Rams give Jon Toth, C, a tryout

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I thought he was picked up as a UDFA, wasn't he!?!

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Why such talent was let to go undrafted makes me wonder.

RamsFlash80

Pro Bowler
Still really weird how he went undrafted though. What happened in between the Senior Bowl and Draft? I know he had a injury but doesnt sound too serious if hes healthy now?

Jon Toth grades highest on South Senior Bowl team
Jon Toth improved his stock in Mobile, Alabama this week.

65084077.jpg

Kentucky offensive lineman Jon Toth was the highest graded offensive player on the Reese's Senior Bowl's winning South team according to Pro Football Focus. He received a grade of 81.8 on a scale to 100.

Follow
PFF College Football

✔@PFF_College

"C Jon Toth capped a fine career at Kentucky will a brilliant display in his postseason All Star game." #SeniorBowl

8:34 AM - 29 Jan 2017
Toth played center and offensive guard during the 16-15 victory. Most reports indicate that he improved throughout the week of practices. He is currently considered a mid-round pick by most outlets.

Kansas State defensive end Jordan Willis (85.5), St. Francis (Pa.) safety Lorenzo Jerome (85.0), East Carolina wide receiver Zay Jones (84.6) and Virginia Tech fullback Sam Rogers (82.4) were the only players to rate higher than the Indiana product.

BeefJurky

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think he had an injury that caused his stock to drop.

But I actually think I heard he turned down the 49ers, not the other way around.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
That report calls him a mid round talent, not a second round talent. His injury held him back from working out with teams. It is tough to draft a guy who cannot workout for you. Maybe he sticks. It would be a good omen for the Rams. These things haven't usually gone their way lately. Missing on Collins, and Battle was a waste of a 5th rounder. Between Eldrenkamp, McMeans, and Toth maybe they find their center of the future.

RamsFlash80

Pro Bowler
What was the surgery/injury ? Was it after the Sr. Bowl I would presume?

I dont think we are the only ones confused.

Jon Toth Not “Fully Healthy” Prior to NFL Draft?
By Kory Henry on ©April 30th, 2017 @ 12:00pm

Posted in Cats in the NFL, Main | 4 Responses

qV6YDInP.jpg

@Jtoeth

Well this one’s really starting to be a head scratcher…

Jon Toth has yet to find a home in the NFL. After being projected as the 4th best center available in the 2017 NFL Draft, BBN was shocked to see Toth passed up 253 times. He was almost certain to be selected by somebody. However, here we are the morning after the draft, and now we have reports that Toth may not be “fully healthy”?

As surprising as it was to see him go undrafted, conflicting reports of Toth signing with the San Francisco 49ers have us even more confused. JD Harmon and Boom Williams were quickly signed, as teams immediately hit the undrafted free agent market upon the Draft’s conclusion. Jon Toth had apparently signed with the 49ers during this rapid process, but NFL insider Ian Rapoport shot that down.

View: https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/858490205774499840

Then this morning, ESPN’s Field Yates says that Toth “will soon be fully healthy” and sign with a team soon.

View: https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/858666384821280768

This tweet even had our very own Freddie Maggard scratching his head…

View: https://twitter.com/FredMaggard/status/858680807610875905

There were no injuries publicly announced prior to the NFL Draft, but regardless of what it is, it seems to have hurt Toth’s chances of being drafted. You hate to see such a talented young man get passed up. Hopefully, whatever it is keeping Toth below 100%, it heals quickly and we can see him starting at Center once August rolls around.

We will keep you updated as soon as we hear anything, hopefully with news that Toth has signed with another team.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Hmmmm ... musta been something they found at the combine medical evals? those are the only ones that seem to "crop up" out of nowhere. Whatever. Gives us a shot at him. Still a bit perplexed as to why it is a "tryout" instead of a straight UDFA signing though.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Still a bit perplexed as to why it is a "tryout" instead of a straight UDFA signing though.

Rams signed two UDRFA's for Center in McMeans & Eldrenkamp, McMeans still yet to sign his deal, so that might be the reason for the tryout. Overall, if the Rams did not sign Toth at the very minimum, they got a good look at him.