Rams' Gilbert arrives with plenty to prove/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams' Gilbert arrives with plenty to prove
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/9824/rams-gilbert-arrives-with-plenty-to-prove

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Under normal circumstances, Garrett Gilbert's offseason methods for learning the St. Louis Rams' offense would have put him in hot water with parents Gale and Kim Gilbert.

With no whiteboard to use, Gilbert spent each night with some dry erase markers going through the X's and O's on the windows of his parents' Austin, Texas, home. But Gilbert didn't get grounded or have his allowance taken away for making a mess.

Garrett Gilbert
Rams rookie QB Garrett Gilbert worked during the offseason to learn the West Coast offense.
That's because he had a partner in crime, his father Gale, who played 10 seasons in the NFL with Seattle, Buffalo and San Diego. Despite a modest protest from Kim Gilbert, she was outnumbered by her football-loving son and husband.

"My mom wasn’t too pleased," Garrett Gilbert said. "[My dad] loves going through that stuff, so it was fun to go through it and teach him a little about what we’re trying to do."

Of course, the ultimate purpose of the nightly playbook exercises was meant for the younger Gilbert to learn the Rams' offense as he embarks on his rookie season in the NFL.

A sixth-round choice out of Southern Methodist, Gilbert is the first quarterback the Rams have selected in the three drafts guided by coach Jeff Fisher and general manager Les Snead. Expectations for Gilbert are minimal with Sam Bradford in place as the starter and veteran Shaun Hill set as the primary backup.

But the Rams wouldn't mind having Gilbert take hold of a potential third roster spot for a quarterback and become the type of developmental prospect worth keeping around so he can one day become a serviceable backup.

To get there, Gilbert, like all rookies, especially quarterbacks, has a lot of learning to do. And before he can do much of anything, he must learn all he can about coordinator Brian Schottenheimer's offense. It's a tall order for any player but especially Gilbert. After playing in seven offenses in eight seasons, Gilbert has learned enough different language and terminology that he could create and sell a quarterback version of Rosetta-Stone.

Of those many offenses, the one he ran for the Mustangs was perhaps the most different from the one he's now learning. SMU was a spread team with Gilbert spending most of his time taking snaps out of the shotgun and throwing it all over the field. It was a system he knew well and the results were impressive. He finished his senior season with 3,528 passing yards and 21 touchdowns with six more scores on the ground in 10 games.

That's a far cry from the run-heavy, West Coast-driven offense Gilbert is now tasked with understanding in St. Louis.

"It’s definitely a transition," Gilbert said. "I think any time you are playing quarterback at this level there’s going to be a transition from the collegiate level regardless of where you played college football. You get rare exceptions like Andrew Luck or Peyton Manning where they come in and they’re immediately successful, but there’s definitely a transition period and learning curve. It’s really a lot of fun for me to challenge myself."

As Gilbert is quick to point out, learning a new offense at this point isn't so much about knowing where receivers are going to go as understanding the protections and adjustments to be made at the line of scrimmage.

That's why Gilbert didn't have as much "down time" as the rest of his rookie teammates. So he and his father spent each night going through a different install with the younger Gilbert making notes on each day so when that installation comes up during camp, he can ask the appropriate questions of Schottenheimer and quarterbacks coach Frank Cignetti. He also called Bradford to ask questions and get clarification when needed.

Upon arrival for Tuesday and Wednesday's rookies-only practice sessions, Gilbert said he felt much more comfortable getting in and out of the huddle and handling things at the line of scrimmage. It's a basic function for a quarterback but at least it's a start.

There's still a long way to go in this training camp and preseason and if the Rams are to keep a third quarterback, Gilbert will have to fend off Austin Davis for the job. With Bradford recovering from knee surgery, there might even be additional repetitions available for Gilbert in camp and preseason games. Without the pedigree or draft status of a first-round pick, Gilbert is well aware that nothing is promised.

"I’m out here to compete, learn and just become the best player I can every single day," Gilbert said.

Alan

Legend
What I want is for the Rams to actually try and develop a QB for the future. The only way to do that is to protect him by making him, or somebody else, part of the 53 man roster.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Plot twist: Gale Gilbert is a spy for Seattle and feeding the Seahawks the playbook through his son.

I really like this kid Garrett though. He's pretty talented and could be a steal. Good player to develop.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I think it's great that his Pops is there happily going through his homework with him.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
His dad is a local prospect. Played his H.S. bal at Red Bluff H.S., then on to Cal. I'm pulling for the kid!

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
What I want is for the Rams to actually try and develop a QB for the future. The only way to do that is to protect him by making him, or somebody else, part of the 53 man roster.
are there any good starting QBs in recent years that started as developmental? i honestly dont know, isnt it normally backups that turn into hidden gems sometimes. Roger, Warner, Brady etc.. So the plans just for him to become a solid backup someday right?

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
are there any good starting QBs in recent years that started as developmental? i honestly dont know, isnt it normally backups that turn into hidden gems sometimes. Roger, Warner, Brady etc.. So the plans just for him to become a solid backup someday right?

Well, Brady was a 6th round pick too. Warner was undrafted. So mentioning them as somehow distinct from Gilbert seems unusual.

But even if Gilbert turns into a solid backup, that is valuable - given how much backup QBs cost as free agents. Much better to develop your own, than to have to spend millions typically signing one.

My fondest wish in terms of Gilbert is that he looks great as a backup and gets trade value for a team that desperately needs a QB, since Sam becomes a MVP caliber QB.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
Well, Brady was a 6th round pick too. Warner was undrafted. So mentioning them as somehow distinct from Gilbert seems unusual.

But even if Gilbert turns into a solid backup, that is valuable - given how much backup QBs cost as free agents. Much better to develop your own, than to have to spend millions typically signing one.

My fondest wish in terms of Gilbert is that he looks great as a backup and gets trade value for a team that desperately needs a QB, since Sam becomes a MVP caliber QB.
Is Tebow still demanding to be a starter? i think we should pick up Tebow : ) In his defense the last time he was given a chance to start he won like 7 games in a row and a playoff win. If Kaperdick can do it I think Tebow should get a shot at backup

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Is Tebow still demanding to be a starter? i think we should pick up Tebow : ) In his defense the last time he was given a chance to start he won like 7 games in a row and a playoff win. If Kaperdick can do it I think Tebow should get a shot at backup

Tebow gets 75-150k a speaking engagement. http://www.celebritytalent.net/sampletalent/5229/tim-tebow/

Actually being a backup would damage his brand. I suspect that's why he retired - that way to some he's a martyr for his beliefs, as opposed to an athlete who just didn't have the right sort of skills to consistently succeed at the next level. For some strange reason, in the NFL QBs need to be able to throw well to have long careers.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
Tebow gets 75-150k a speaking engagement. http://www.celebritytalent.net/sampletalent/5229/tim-tebow/

Actually being a backup would damage his brand. I suspect that's why he retired - that way to some he's a martyr for his beliefs, as opposed to an athlete who just didn't have the right sort of skills to consistently succeed at the next level. For some strange reason, in the NFL QBs need to be able to throw well to have long careers.
havent you heard? he's been training looking for offers to play. idk what his demands are. He claims to have improved his passing lol. either way he FOUND a way to win. so why not again. IF Bradford went down again I think Tebow would be an interesting wildcard. Shaun Hill wouldnt lead us into or through the playoffs if Bradford went down late. Tebow and Austin and some tricky with a ground and pound. would be fun to watch

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Gilbert Grape was pretty much the symbolic QB pick, it's not like he has much chance to make an impact. I bet he'll make the team, but I don't want to see him have to play.

Alan

Legend
Robocop thinking this ain't the old days:
The plan is never that your developmental QB becomes "merely" a backup, the plan is for him to become a quality starter who can either be traded for treasure like Cassel was or replace your present QB if things go south with him.

Or we could just live with the likes of a Clemens or his ilk.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
This kid brings quite a bit to the table from a cerebral standpoint and athletic ability, however, his Kryptonite is the big stage. Did not do well at Texas and even after the transfer and the good numbers did not fare well against the upper echelon of collegiate competition.

The NFL is the biggest stage of all and I hope QB Coach Frank Cignetti can work with him because IMO there are many attributes that could serve the Rams well down the road.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
Plot twist: Gale Gilbert is a spy for Seattle and feeding the Seahawks the playbook through his son.

I really like this kid Garrett though. He's pretty talented and could be a steal. Good player to develop.

Definitely a good developmental pick. Has the measurables but just couldn't get it done at Texas.