Rams getting trade OFFERS for our stable of CBs!!!!!!!!!!!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Wow.
I mean, it makes sense(maybe the Saints/Spags or Browns/Shurmur) for Murphy & Fletcher...
maybe even Gordy, I dunno.
The picks are probably mid-low rounds...but still, it's nice to be wanted! ;)

========================
LINK

St. Louis Rams Already Fielding Calls From Interested Teams About Their Cornerbacks

St. Louis Rams head coach Jeff Fisher said that other teams were already calling about the Rams' stable of young cornerbacks. It comes as a mild surprise that teams would be looking into scoring some young talent on the cheap, but the real shocker is that the Rams finally have a deep enough stable of cornerbacks that rival teams would actually be interested in some of their players. Fortunately, Fisher was in no hurry to make any moves.

Fisher and some other members of the Rams' brass took some time to speak with a group of fans taking in the last day of training camp on Thursday.

The Rams spent two of their top 100 picks, two picks out of five in the first three rounds, of the 2012 NFL Draft on cornerbacks. Second-round pick Janoris Jenkins could prove to be a real steal. Many considered him to be the draft's top cover corner, but pushed him down draft boards out of concerns about off-field incidents. St. Louis drafted Montana corner Trumaine Johnson in the third round, another player who could have been drafted much higher except for character concerns.

Jenkins and Johnson join a position group headlined by free agent addition Cortland Finnegan. Also on the roster is Bradley Fletcher, the incumbent starter from the last three seasons, which were marred by injury. Another name to keep an eye on is Jerome Murphy, a third-round pick from the 2010 draft. Then of course there was last year's pleasant surprise Josh Gordy, plucked away from the fringes of Green Bay's roster, Gordy stood out when pressed into duty as injuries decimated the position group.

As far as a trade goes, it is way too soon for the Rams to consider any such move.
The only corner in danger of leaving anytime soon is Fletcher, who is due to be a free agent after this season.

=========================
Fletcher may be dealt for a 5th-7th just cuz he's coming off the injury and the Rams are overflowing at CB.
Murphy would still be very valuable to the Rams, at WORST, for our Dime package
and BEST, as competition for Nickel vs Tru Johnson.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Re: Rams getting trade OFFERS for our stable of CBs!!!!!!!!!

You can never have enough corners in today's pass happy NFL,,, and after what happened last year...

I say don't fucking trade any of them.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim

Selassie I said:
You can never have enough corners in today's pass happy NFL,,, and after what happened last year...

I say don't freaking trade any of them.
Except that we may not be able to keep all 6 on the roster

Finnegan
Fletcher
Jenkins
Johnson
Gordy
Murphy

Trading one instead of cutting makes a lot of sense. And there are other corners below these on the depth chart that can be stashed on the PS. Only Jenkins and Johnson are PS eligible, and they'd never stay, or even make it to, the PS.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole

Ram Quixote said:
Selassie I said:

Finnegan
Fletcher
Jenkins
Johnson
Gordy
Murphy

Trading one instead of cutting makes a lot of sense. And there are other corners below these on the depth chart that can be stashed on the PS. Only Jenkins and Johnson are PS eligible, and they'd never stay, or even make it to, the PS.

Hell, I thought it was to the point these days were teams keep 6 - 6+ corners on the roster. The rosters are a few larger now too I thought.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma

Ram Quixote said:
Selassie I said:

Finnegan
Fletcher
Jenkins
Johnson
Gordy
Murphy

We'll most likely keep six corners on the active roster after the debacle of last year. The only guy I can see us trading is Fletcher, and that's only because this is his contract year - and he has the misfortune to be in a contract year the same year as Long, Laurinaitis, and Stewart.

But if we're winning near the trade deadline, would it be wise to trade Fletcher, especially if he's in a starting role?

thomas

UDFA

Selassie I said:

Especially the young one's before they have even taken a snap... Let Finnegan make em nasty!!

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim

Memento said:
Ram Quixote said:
Selassie I said:

Finnegan
Fletcher
Jenkins
Johnson
Gordy
Murphy

We'll most likely keep six corners on the active roster after the debacle of last year. The only guy I can see us trading is Fletcher, and that's only because this is his contract year - and he has the misfortune to be in a contract year the same year as Long, Laurinaitis, and Stewart.

But if we're winning near the trade deadline, would it be wise to trade Fletcher, especially if he's in a starting role?
The possibility of a trade will depend on the Rams' perception of their depth. If they do keep all 6, perhaps one of those they stashed on the PS will be ready to move up. Of course, all of that depends on the relative health at CB.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame

I dont really like the idea of trading any of them either. The 3 CBs likely on the block, that other teams would have the slightest interest in, are Fletcher, Murphy, and Gordy. We wont get anything in return for any of those guys. 2 are coming off IR and the other doesnt have exceptional talent.

Anonymous

My bet? They're not going to trade anyone.

They're more likely to keep 6.

Fletcher isn't tradable if he's hurt and can't play anyway. So if he's hurt and can't play, he's destined for the PUP list.

That would make it (alphabetically) these guys competing for 5-6 spots: Burney (who also got good buzz), Gordy, Finnegan, Jenkins, Johnson, Murphy...with Fletcher on the PUP? If it's just 5 and Fletcher IS on the PUP then the 5th spot is between Burney and Gordy.

Deep bunch.

And they're this deep AND they let Bartell go. Quite a thing, that. Bartell was good...how many teams let a good corner go and end up so deep afterward they are fielding trade offers?

Username

Has a Well-Known Member

How many corners did we go into the season with last year?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

Username said:

Apparently not enough. :bummed:

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer

Username said:

Bartell
Fletcher
Al Harris
King
Johnson

I think that's it, the others came to replace these guys and to replace the replacements. Was Dockery in, can't remember.

Anonymous

Angry Ram said:
Username said:

Bartell
Fletcher
Al Harris
King
Johnson

I think that's it, the others came to replace these guys and to replace the replacements. Was Dockery in, can't remember.

They lost Murphy in the summer.

Johnson was not on the roster in Sept.--he was still injured at that point. He was added later.

They actually started the season with 4, if I recall.

They added (not in chronological order) Gordy, Burney, Johnson, Ness, Smith, Hood, and Atkinson.

In total, including Murphy, they lost 10.

Combining ALL of last year's and this year's CBs--from the 2011 camp leaders to now--that list is as follows (I bold all the ones who actually played in real games for the Rams so far):

Atkinson
Bartell

Burney
Caldwell
Finnegan
Fletcher
Gordy
Harris
Hood

Jenkins
Johnson, M.
Johnson, T.
King
Ness
Smith

About half of those are real NFL starters too (or rookies with that potential).

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

It's Atchison. He was a UDFA the Rams brought in and he played in a game before he too got hurt. I liked that kid's potential, but he bowed up his hamstring in September and went on IR with Murphy.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion

Yep, I thought Atchison did well for himself in his limited playing time. Been saying it since the draft...this defense has top 10...maybe top 5 talent in my eyes...at least on paper. If we can shore up the LB situation, look out. I think that if they can muster enough offense to score 17-20 PPG, then 6-8 wins is a real possibility this year. If this D pans out like we hope it will, points are going to come at a premium for most opponents. I can't even remember the last time I was excited about a Rams defense......

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer

zn said:
Angry Ram said:
Username said:

Bartell
Fletcher
Al Harris
King
Johnson

They lost Murphy in the summer.

Johnson was not on the roster in Sept.--he was still injured at that point. He was added later.

They actually started the season with 4, if I recall.

They added (not in chronological order) Gordy, Burney, Johnson, Ness, Smith, Hood, and Atkinson.

In total, including Murphy, they lost 10.

Combining ALL of last year's and this year's CBs--from the 2011 camp leaders to now--that list is as follows (I bold all the ones who actually played in real games for the Rams so far):

Atkinson
Bartell

Burney
Caldwell
Finnegan
Fletcher
Gordy
Harris
Hood

Jenkins
Johnson, M.
Johnson, T.
King
Ness
Smith

About half of those are real NFL starters too (or rookies with that potential).

I knew about Murphy. My only time I go 2 go to camp was the day he broke the ankle. :nono:

So Johnson was on the PUP then. Huh. 4 CBs.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich

IMO if we trade someone it will be beforethe LAST cut doing so would be silly , I mean Fisher did take the job to keep .

NOW if he DOES trade someone I'd bet the people who cough up the choice is HAD cuz I'd bet Fisher is DB centric in his thinking and considers the whole world to revolve around that position and he isn't going to give up anyone he thinks is WORTH keeping.
JMO

Anonymous

Angry Ram said:
I knew about Murphy. My only time I go 2 go to camp was the day he broke the ankle. :nono:

So Johnson was on the PUP then. Huh. 4 CBs.

I figured you knew about Murphy. Just being thorough.

It's Atchison. He was a UDFA the Rams brought in and he played in a game before he too got hurt. I liked that kid's potential, but he bowed up his hamstring in September and went on IR with Murphy.

Yeah, that's right, it's Atchinson.

His story is a particularly sad-ass indicator of what last year was like.

They cut him in making the final cuts to 53.

They put him on the PS on Sept 4.

They then lost Bartell, so brought him back up from the PS after the Eagles game.

He then got hurt in the Giants game. So they released him on September 27.

September 15, 2011

It’s amazing what a week and a major injury can do for an NFL player and his career. Cornerback Tim Atchison was cut by the Rams during the teams final cuts, as they were getting their 53-man roster together.

With cornerback Ron Bartell lost for the season with a neck injury, the Rams quickly called Atchison back, and now it seems as if he will make his first career start this Monday night against the Giants.

September 21, 2011

Once again, the Rams must search for help at cornerback. Tim Atchison suffered a grade 2 strain to his hamstring in the 28-16 loss to the Giants and will be placed on injured reserve.

bluecoconuts

Legend

Anything say about what the trades detailed? Picks? Players? What?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

zn said:
Yeah, that's right, it's Atchinson.

His story is a particularly sad-ass indicator of what last year was like.

They cut him in making the final cuts to 53.
It really was ridiculous. It got to the point that you actually expected to hear about another injury every single week. Here comes Spags' presser ... I wonder who's hurt today? Reggie this, Reggie that, Reggie, Reggie, Reggie. God I'm glad that season is in our rear-view now.