rams get Chris weinke as qb coach

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Marq

Marq My Wordz
Name
King
Don't forget, just because you weren't a great QB, doesn't mean you cant coach it at a high level. The best swing coaches in golf aren't former major winners! Weinke is a smart dude, and I like the hire a ton.
I think the saying is those who can't do, teach.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I'm good with this hire. Smart guy. Has a teaching resume. Not a retread. Has insight to a lot of guys coming available.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
I think the saying is those who can't do, teach.

Dude, Weinke won a F&#$% Heisman Trophy
That is DOING

a man is as good as his greatest moment but in this country it seems that people are judged on what they have done lately - which is messed up

Well in this case it looks like the former Heisman trophy winner has been promoted to the QB coach of the Rams - his future looks bright to me
God Bless him
GO RAMS

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
Yeah, that's probably never gonna happen. Some people are outwardly emotional, and others aren't. It's just not in Bradford to be fiery in such a way that he berates other players. He is quite expressive when things are going well, so I don't think you have an issue with that. Seems you'd prefer him to be angry when things aren't going well; and again, that's not likely to happen. The players don't seem to have an issue with how he carries himself, so it's probably not something that has a negative impact on anything.
How could they have an issue with him ? All I see him doing is spitting out sun flower seed shell's (or whatever) on the side line.

RamBill

Legend
Rams notes: Weinke hired as QBs coach
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_bb5fef78-3342-548e-b435-e6bce6c81e71.html

INDIANAPOLIS • The Rams have a new quarterbacks coach, and it’s not Jeff Garcia. Garcia interviewed with the Rams last week, but the job has gone to Chris Weinke instead.

Coach Jeff Fisher will make the hire official at his scheduled media session Friday at the NFL Scouting Combine.

Weinke was interviewed by Fisher prior to Garcia’s interview. Fisher was very impressed with what he heard from Weinke, impressed enough to hire the former Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback from Florida State.

Weinke, 42, played seven seasons in the NFL with Carolina and San Francisco, and was a backup on the Panthers’ Super Bowl team in 2003. Since 2010, he has been director of IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla., where he has trained several current NFL quarterbacks including Cam Newton.

Weinke replaces Frank Cignetti, who was promoted to offensive coordinator by Fisher. There is a tie with Cignetti because Weinke finished his playing career with San Francisco in 2007, while Cignetti was quarterbacks coach for the 49ers that season.

A FUTURE FOR DAVIS?

The Rams haven’t given up yet on Austin Davis in their evolving quarterback picture.

“I think if you had to play him tomorrow, he would be better than he was the first game (in 2014) just because of the experience that he got,” general manager Les Snead said. “He played some great games and got the least amount of defensive help, which probably cost him in the win column.”

Taking over in the third quarter of the season opener for an injured Shaun Hill, Davis started the next eight games of the season before giving way to Hill at midseason. The Rams lost five of eight games with Davis as the starter, but blew a 21-point lead against Dallas and nearly rallied from a huge deficit in a six-point loss to Philadelphia.

“I think what happens, and most quarterbacks figure this out, is the more reps you play teams start figuring out what’s your strengths, what’s your weaknesses, and start taking your strengths away,” Snead said.

“I think that’s the next hurdle a guy like Austin Davis has to clear. I think he got better sitting down because now he can slow things down and the next time I think he’ll be a lot clearer.”

Davis is scheduled for restricted free agency, but it looks like the team plans to make a one-year tender offer — which usually keeps a player off the market.

MASON A WORKHORSE

As much as the Rams were pleased with Tre Mason’s performance over 12 games as a rookie, Snead thinks something of a committee approach probably works best going forward at running back.

“I think he showed that he can be an explosive, dynamic weapon for us,” Snead said. “And he can get the tough yards, and even make some catches. But I think in the NFL you probably want multiple backs because 16 games is a tough, tough load.”

And keep this in mind: Fisher has selected a running back in each of his three previous drafts with the Rams. Maybe he’ll do it again this year in what appears to be the strongest running back draft class in several years.

MORSE SHINES

Among the 52 offensive linemen invited to the NFL Scouting Combine, Mitch Morse of the University of Missouri finished second in the bench press, hoisting the 225-pound weight 36 times. He was topped only by Ereck Flowers of Miami (Fla.), who had 37 reps.

Surprisingly, Iowa strongman Brandon Scherff — he of the 480-pound hang clean — had only 23 reps Thursday. Scherff is generally considered the best offensive lineman in this year’s draft class.

Among other highly-regarded offensive linemen, Pitt’s T.J. Clemmings had only 22 reps and LSU’s La’el Collins had only 21. Scherff and Collins both had formal interviews scheduled with the Rams at the Combine.

At tight end, Southern Illinois Carbondale and Kirkwood High product MyCole Pruitt had a decent showing, tying for 10th at his position in the bench press with 17 reps.

FANFEST INFO

The Rams probably won’t hold their annual training camp FanFest at the Edward Jones Dome this August, but the team is working on alternative plans. They’d like to have the scrimmage return to a smaller venue, more of a “Friday Night Lights” concept similar to their past scrimmages at Lindenwood and Washington universities.

paceram

Pro Bowler
Dude, Weinke won a F&#$% Heisman Trophy
That is DOING

a man is as good as his greatest moment but in this country it seems that people are judged on what they have done lately - which is messed up

Well in this case it looks like the former Heisman trophy winner has been promoted to the QB coach of the Rams - his future looks bright to me
God Bless him
GO RAMS

I will admit that I was really excited when I thought the Rams were going to hire Jeff Garcia as their QB Coach but the more I read about Chris Weinke the more I think he was the right hire for the Rams! I don't think the Rams could have gone wrong with either Garcia or Weinke.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
I am not talking about the Valour type Like your Uncle Leo wore. There are some very nice sweats out there these days. Go to Dick's Sporting Goods and check them out.

I AM Uncle Leo and I resemble that remark. Valour--Sock it to me, Baby!

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
I like this hire. I think this hire is somewhat telling on who we might bring in for a QB; and I'm thinking draft not free agency. I look at Weinke's most recent NFL pupils, Newton, Wilson, Tannehill, and Bridgewater and you can see that they are all mobile QB's. I know it's still early, but we have an interest in Hundley, and Weinke would be the guy to get him pro ready.

RamBill

Legend
Fisher takes road less travel in hiring Weinke as QB coach
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_dfbd974e-dae3-534e-894c-61455e4f0ab8.html

INDIANAPOLIS • By now, it’s well-established that Jeff Fisher is capable of the unconventional when it comes to coaching staff hires.

With that in mind, it shouldn’t be surprising that the Rams’ new quarterbacks coach, Chris Weinke, comes from a pool of candidates with no prior NFL or college coaching experience.

Yes, unsuccessful candidate Jeff Garcia did spend half of last season coaching quarterbacks with the Montreal Alouettes of the Canadian Football League. But that’s it.

Fisher revealed Friday that he also interviewed Steve Walsh, who opened the 1996 season as the Rams’ starting quarterback before giving way to Tony Banks.

“We interviewed three candidates,” Fisher said. “What they have in common – they’re all former players. ... Why not get somebody in who’s played the game.

“The respect level from a player’s standpoint for those that have played the game is very high,” Fisher said. “We also had a situation where Chris and Sam (Bradford) got together and they had dinner last week. Sam was very, very excited about the possibility of Chris being our quarterbacks coach.”

Weinke was a Heisman Trophy winner at Florida State. His pro career was less than stellar, but he did spend seven seasons with Carolina and then San Francisco. Garcia was a four-time Pro Bowler over a lengthy career that included very successful stints with the 49ers and Philadelphia.

Walsh, now a high school coach in West Palm Beach, Fla., was a first-round pick by Dallas in the 1989 supplemental draft.

“I was very, very impressed with Jeff as well as I was with Steve,” Fisher said. “I hope that they end up in this league because they’re very, very talented.”

What put Weinke over the top probably was his extensive experience working with quarterbacks at IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla., where he was the academy director.

“It was a huge factor,” Fisher said. “What he’s done over the last four, five years, not only with preparing quarterbacks for the draft. But also a lot of guys have gone back – a lot of the (NFL) veterans are going back down there and working with him.”

During his tenure at IMG, Weinke has worked with the likes of Teddy Bridgewater (now with Minnesota), Cam Newton (Carolina), and Russell Wilson (Seattle).

“There’s going to be a time, whether it’s in two months, or three months, whatever, where we’re gonna have a young quarterback,” Fisher said, referring to potential additions to the QB depth chart, where only Bradford is currently under contract. “And I don’t think there’s anybody better qualified to coach a young quarterback than (Weinke).”

Garcia also has been involved in a quarterback training enterprise of his own on the West Coast – Jeff Garcia Football. But he doesn’t have as much experience doing that as Weinke at IMG.

“What Chris did, who he worked with, this list of players that he coached, and also who he worked with during the lockout year (including Newton) – the things he did there were really impressive.”

Another thing in Weinke’s favor was the fact that as a player in his final NFL season, his quarterbacks coach was Frank Cignetti at San Francisco in 2007.

“That had a bearing,” Fisher said. “Cig’s had a relationship with him. So he knew Chris’ study habits, he knew his brain and everything else.”

So the Rams’ new offensive coordinator, Cignetti, knows the new quarterbacks coach. And the new quarterbacks coach, apparently hit it off with Bradford at dinner. All are important considerations, especially considering the Rams’ new stated goal of having the QB coach be more hands-on, and the coordinator be less involved day-to-day with the quarterback.

Over the course of the last few weeks, Fisher said that he and Cignetti mutually agreed that hiring a quarterbacks coach who had played the game was the best way to go.

“I wasn’t going to do anything that your coordinator didn’t agree with,” Fisher said.

Fisher wants an even closer player-to-position coach relationship at quarterback.

“One thing I’ve learned over the years is that the quarterback position itself over the years is very, very difficult to play,” Fisher said. “And the pressure on that position is extraordinary.

“It’s not Sundays. It’s Wednesday, Thursday, Friday. And it can become crippling if you don’t approach it that way. Chris understands that.”

Whether it’s Bradford starting, as expected, or somebody else under center, Fisher said he wanted to hire a QB coach that’s the quarterback’s best friend.

“So that he can become close with, and he can get him ready to play,” Fisher said.

Make no mistake, Fisher really liked Garcia – to the point that he joked behind the scenes last week that he might hire two quarterback coaches. Garcia’s energy was off the charts during his 1 ½-day interview at Rams Park.

“It was almost as if he was getting ready to go out and play a game,” Fisher said. “That guy is so competitive ... He’s passionate about the game.”

But in the end, Weinke prevailed.

“It’s a great fit,” Fisher said. “He did an outstanding job (at IMG). He’s got a really good thing going there, and this is a leap of faith for him to leave.”

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
did I hear that right in a recent interview? Cignetti's father was the OC or something at WVU or somekind of personal connection with them. and Tavon was psyched and apparently Bradford too with working with Weinke a former players who has ties to Cignetti from San Fran days. all about cohesiveness. coachers and players now on the same page along with the OC and QB coach. pray for the best. its the year of the Ram!

jap

Legend
A huge thumb's up to Fish for this QB coach selection. He appears to be doing all he can upgrade the passing game coaching-wise. He needs to continue this with respect to the OL and maybe a receiver (WR, TE, RB) or two.

jjab360

Legend
Pretty unconventional to hire someone with no coaching experience, but I remember hearing a lot about the work he's done with QB prospects during the offseason. Seems like a really good fit all around, imo, excited for this hire.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
“We also had a situation where Chris and Sam (Bradford) got together and they had dinner last week. Sam was very, very excited about the possibility of Chris being our quarterbacks coach.”
Heh I'm a little surprised this hasn't garnered more snarky comments like "Sam picked Weinke", considering there were similar comments that sparked "Sam picked Cignetti"...

Garcia’s energy was off the charts during his 1 ½-day interview at Rams Park
Also surprised we haven't heard of any bitter twits from Garcia as he seems to have a habit bad-mouthing anyone that seemingly stands in the way of his self-perceived destiny (or as one 49er fan site put it, "someone who is insecure and trying to lift himself up by putting others down"). Getting turned down after one and a half days is a pretty big snub and likely one Garcia won't forget any time soon.