Rams game-by-game predictions: 8-8?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.espn.com/blog/los-angele...017-los-angeles-rams-game-by-game-predictions

2017 Los Angeles Rams game-by-game predictions
Alden Gonzalez/ESPN Staff Writer

LOS ANGELES -- The Los Angeles Rams' featured non-NFC West games in 2017 will be against the AFC South, the only division that didn't have a team with double-digit wins last year. Their first two games will be at home. Their last game will come against a popular pick to finish with the NFL's worst record.

In between are several winnable games, too. But the Rams, under an entirely new coaching staff, still have a lot to figure out internally. Here's an early, game-by-game look at how the 2017 season could shake out.

Week 1: Sunday, Sept. 10, vs. Indianapolis Colts, 4:05 p.m. ET

One thing is pretty clear about the Rams' 2017 schedule: They'll face a lot of good quarterbacks. The first will be Andrew Luck. But Luck is coming off shoulder surgery, and Rams quarterback Jared Goff will be facing a shaky secondary. He should get off on the right foot here. Record: 1-0

Week 2: Sunday, Sept. 17, vs. Washington Redskins, 4:25 p.m. ET

Former Redskins offensive coordinator Sean McVay left to become the Rams' head coach, and soon thereafter, Washington's top two receivers, DeSean Jackson and Pierre Garcon, signed with other teams. Now coach Jay Gruden has a transitioning offense on his hands. But it's still better than the one McVay inherited. Record: 1-1

Week 3: Thursday, Sept. 21, at San Francisco 49ers, 8:25 p.m. ET

Last year, the 49ers embarrassed the Rams in a season-opening game on Monday Night Football. The 49ers won two games in 2016, and both came against the Rams, the last one on the strength of an impressive comeback at the Coliseum. The 49ers, now under Kyle Shanahan, will continue to be bad. The Rams should be better against them. Record: 2-1

Week 4: Sunday, Oct. 1, at Dallas Cowboys, 1 p.m. ET

This will be the Rams' toughest test all season. Their defense should be pretty good, but new defensive coordinator and former Cowboys head coach Wade Phillips will have a hard time trying to contain QB Dak Prescott, RB Ezekiel Elliott, WR Dez Bryant and TE Jason Witten. On offense, the Rams don't have anything close to the firepower to keep up. Record: 2-2

Week 5: Sunday, Oct. 8, vs. Seattle Seahawks, 4:05 p.m. ET

Hate on Jeff Fisher all you want, but for some reason, he seemed to have some weird magic touch when it came to beating the Seahawks. It's unlikely McVay will have that same feel, simply because most coaches don't. The Seahawks' defense -- perhaps rejuvenated by the return of safety Earl Thomas -- will be a big early test for McVay's developing offense. Record: 2-3

Week 6: Sunday, Oct. 15, at Jacksonville Jaguars, 4:05 p.m. ET

The Jaguars are no strangers to offseason spending. And this offseason was no different, as they splurged on three new defensive players: defensive end Calais Campbell, cornerback A.J. Bouye and safety Barry Church. At home, they'll make life really difficult on Goff and his offense. Record: 2-4

Week 7: Sunday, Oct. 22, vs. Arizona Cardinals in London, 1 p.m. ET

The Cardinals have lost as much as the Jaguars gained on defense. Four of their top six defensive snap leaders from 2016 signed elsewhere. Coming off a disappointing 7-8-1 season, Arizona has holes all over its defense -- holes Goff can exploit in Twickenham Stadium, where the Rams suffered a heartbreaker to the Giants last year. Record: 3-4
--------------------------------------------------------------
Week 8: Bye
--------------------------------------------------------------
Week 9: Sunday, Nov. 5, at New York Giants, 1 p.m. ET

Another long flight -- though it's coming off a bye -- and another difficult matchup. The Giants feature two dynamite cornerbacks in Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and Janoris Jenkins. And now, with Brandon Marshall joining Odell Beckham Jr., the Giants have two standout receivers for QB Eli Manning. They should be pretty good. Record: 3-5

Week 10: Sunday, Nov. 12, vs. Houston Texans, 4:05 p.m. ET

The Texans won the AFC South without J.J. Watt, but they did so with a minus-49 point differential, seventh-worst in the NFL. And though Watt should be healthy again, their quarterback situation has not been resolved. The Rams will be happy to be back home. Record: 4-5

Week 11: Sunday, Nov. 19, at Minnesota Vikings, 1 p.m. ET

The Vikings -- much like the Rams -- have had to overhaul their offensive line. For a Rams defense that is led by Aaron Donald and is now overseen by Phillips, who's very creative in the ways he can pressure the quarterback out of a 3-4 base set, this is usually a good matchup. But not this time. Record: 4-6

Week 12: Sunday, Nov. 26, vs. New Orleans Saints, 4:05 p.m. ET

Rams fans have probably tried really hard to forget about this team. The Saints dealt the Rams perhaps their most crushing blow of 2016, annihilating them 49-21 in New Orleans. But the Saints have had a hard time putting pieces around aging QB Drew Brees in recent years, and the Rams should get some revenge. Record: 5-6

Week 13: Sunday, Dec. 3, at Arizona Cardinals, 4:25 p.m. ET

The last time the Rams played in Arizona, they stunned the Cardinals and improved to 3-1 to start 2016. It was the apex of their season; perhaps the apex of Fisher's tenure. The Cardinals probably won't let that happen again. Record: 5-7

Week 14: Sunday, Dec. 10, vs. Philadelphia Eagles, 4:25 p.m. ET

This will be the most highly anticipated game of the season. Goff, the 2016 No. 1 overall pick, goes up against Carson Wentz, the 2016 No. 2 overall pick. Wentz entered the NFL with more experienced coaching than Goff, and now he has something Goff still lacks: a true No. 1 receiver in Alshon Jeffery. But maybe I just have a gut feeling about this one. Record: 6-7

Week 15: Sunday, Dec. 17, at Seattle Seahawks, 4:05 p.m. ET

It's the Seahawks, at home, late in the season, when they'll probably be fighting for playoff positioning. But in Washington, McVay was a master at adjusting to exploit opponents' weaknesses, and he'll pick up a few things from the Week 5 meeting between these teams. Record: 7-7

Week 16: Sunday, Dec. 24, at Tennessee Titans, 1 p.m. ET

The Titans are coming off only their second winning season in eight years, and franchise quarterback Marcus Mariota was very good down the stretch. They're on the rise, and they should be a playoff contender in 2017. Record: 7-8

Week 17: Sunday, Dec. 31, vs. San Francisco 49ers, 4:25 p.m. ET

One shot, at home, against the lowly 49ers, to capture their first non-losing season since 2006? The Rams get it done. Record: 8-8

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
. Does that make me a homer?

Yes it does!
giphy.gif

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
10-6 that is what I have and I'm sticking to it! Wins against the Redskins and Jaguars propels that record to 10-6.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Huh.... I got 16-0 out of that. Does that make me a homer?
DITTO!! Although, I suppose it's possible, the Rams could Lose 1 or 2 Games! POSSIBLE BUT NOT PROBABLE!!(y):snicker::shades::cheers:

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
So from our 2-2 record Seahawks and Jags are going to make us 2-4? And by the time we play Cardinals 3-4 before the BYE?...

Thank God this is only a prediction...Laughable.

How the Seahawks, and Jags going to one up us? We can be 5-2 before BYE week, hell maybe 5-1. Just don't know how the skins would pull a win on us without Garcon or Djax anymore.

Big Game

Living The Dream
8-8 ok I can see why they might say that. Due to learning a new offense and unsure of Goff. But those excuses about the Rams not having an offense or weapons being the reason we lose some games. McVay along being our coach will prove that we have a real offense. And we might not have proven weapons but we have enough to win.

i predict 10-6 or 9-7 for his first year as coach.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
I expect this team to perform better outside of the division now that Fisher's gone. Hopefully we'll maintain the same intensity against divisional opponents.

CanadaRam

No guts, No glory.
Name
Andrew
I am actually clueless on what to expect in terms of W-L. Every game is seen as a W and can be. I really want to see improvement. A team and players that get better, adjust at halftime. Last year 3-1 and then what happened. The Oline which was a bunch of rookies in 2015 was worse in 2016. Seeing possibly the best D player in the NFL losing it so early in the year. That has to be avoided. On any given Sunday. No reason that Rams can not look at playoffs in 2017. Alot has to go right though.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
I'm stickin with 12-4. That is what I predicted the past 2 maybe 3 seasons, I gotta be right sometime. Although, if I were to predict something different the Rams would probably go 12-4 just to make me wrong,lol.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
If we go 6-10 McVay wins coach of the year. This is a turn-around. Not a rebuild. But a turn-around.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I'll reserve judgment until after the draft.
Without a 1'st round pick, i'm hard pressed to see any more than two impactful rookies for 2017. On paper, our receiving corps doesn't scare anyone, another rookie or two added to this group won't change much for next season. Our OLine should be a great deal improved, so it will be more about Goff & Gurley stepping up and leading this team offensively, maybe following the bye will our receivers adjust and show some solid consistency with less drops. I expect fewer penalties from a more disciplined McVay/Kromer OL. Goff will have more time in the pocket, Woods will run crisp routes and our running backs (Dunbar & Gurley) will be asked to take on a larger receiving role as well. If our offense can avoid the three & outs, if they can use the clock effectively along with some occasional scoring, perhaps our defense can remain viable deep into the 4'th quarter rather than being exhausted or spent.
Once I can be certain that Quinn is 100% healthy, i'll be able to take a deep relaxing breathe, although our defensive front 7 still has a few depth issues remaining. If Tru returns I won't worry about DB depth as I do imagine we'll still be drafting a quality CB. jmo.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
These schedule predictions are like mock drafts. After the first week, you must re-evaluate what you saw. And that may change the "prediction" for game 2. Then again you must re-evalutate after week two. And that may change your opinion of game 3. And so on. Much like a mock draft that's blown to hell because the Jets pick a 2nd round talent with the 7th selection of the first round or Cleveland takes a kicker at the top of the 2nd.

For instance, we beat the Colts in week one but we can't beat the Redskins who've lost their top 2 receivers and their OC? We should beat Houston's defense because their QB situation isn't settled and then the next week, despite Phillips 3-4 being able to pressure the QB, 'it's a good matchup' but not this time against Minnesota?

Despite all the writing it's really nothing more than a "this is a win and that is a loss and that is a win and this is a loss". There's no rhyme or reason really.

I won't be "happy" with any number at this point. I may be happy with 8-8, if they develop throughout the season. I may be happy with 7-9 if they develop well throughout the season after losing a few close games early but winning a few later on. I will be "happy" with anything over .500 but that's like saying "I'll be happy hitting the powerball whether it pays 10 million or 210 million". No shyte Sherlock!!!

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I am actually clueless on what to expect in terms of W-L

^^^This ^^^

The offense should be improved, how can it get much worse? Special teams should be fine as usual. The defense under Wade Phillips is the real mystery to me. But if I see DB's ten yards off the receivers again for another season I will scream.

200.webp

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
The Rams are a 4 win team without its first round draft pick.

I believe every other team on our schedule will be "improved" by having their 1st round pick on the field when when we play them, or on the bench as depth (-).

I saw our really lousy OL, perhaps the NFL's worst OL, bolstered by two proven vets. (+)

I saw our unremarkable wr/te corps, one of the NFL's least productive units, lose three of its top producers while adding only one proven vet.(-)

I saw our DL weakened by the loss of Hayes.(-)

I saw our a top backup running back replaced with a injury prone player who has done little. (-)

Therefore, I can't really expect much from McVay's first year. 8 wins from this unit would be a truely remarkable achievement and worthy of "coach of the year" awards for the entire staff.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
The Rams are a 4 win team without its first round draft pick.

I believe every other team on our schedule will be "improved" by having their 1st round pick on the field when when we play them, or on the bench as depth (-).

I saw our really lousy OL, perhaps the NFL's worst OL, bolstered by two proven vets. (+)

I saw our unremarkable wr/te corps, one of the NFL's least productive units, lose three of its top producers while adding only one proven vet.(-)

I saw our DL weakened by the loss of Hayes.(-)

I saw our a top backup running back replaced with a injury prone player who has done little. (-)

Therefore, I can't really expect much from McVay's first year. 8 wins from this unit would be a truely remarkable achievement and worthy of "coach of the year" awards for the entire staff.
Kind of a Debbie Downer version but I'll play.

I think Frisco will be the only improved team in our division and we will be ready for them this time. I honestly think AZ and the shitchickens take a step backwards. The other teams will be a mixed bag. Indy and WA look to be possibly weaker. The JAGs look to be stronger. Our schedule as a whole looks to be friendlier than in some time. (+)

Our O-line looks to be improved - possibly even vastly improved. (+)

We lost our three biggest producers and one of our biggest attitude problems in terms of receivers. We have some pretty intriguing young players in Cooper and Higbeast, as well as a couple others. Woods should be a big pick-up. (wash or +)

We picked up Barwin and lost Hayes. (+)

I liked Benny but in no way was he our top RB and even with him, we lacked a change of pace back. (<>)

We have a QB that is no longer a true junior rookie. (+)

We have an actual offensive mind on staff. (+++++)

We have a very good and confident DC. (<>).

Adds up to an improved team if you ask me.....possibly vastly improved.