Rams FS LaMarcus Joyner graded as PFF top NFL DB after opening day breakout

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
It was quite the dominant opener for the Rams, who continued to tee off of the battered Colts in a 46-9 destruction. New Rams starting free safety LaMarcus Joyner played a pivotal role in that with his spectacular play in his new role.

Joyner was nothing short of excellent this week after he switched from a career nickel cornerback to the free safety position. It's early, by early I mean extremely early, but this position switch could mean the Rams possibly have their "Honey Badger". Joyner finished the day with four solo tackles, two pass breakups, and a pick-six. To cap off an excellent day at the office, Pro Football Focus graded Joyner's play at a 93.1 overall that puts him as the top graded at not only safety but as the top overall defensive back.
To say Joyner's INT was a thing of Beauty would be a massive under-statement!! It was perfect!!
From day one after he was Drafted I have said his best position would be at Safety! I think he is going to prove me right!(y);):yess:

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Excellent point! This will be an even more important factor as the season grinds on in terms of fatigue and potential injuries.

Yes, I am really hoping that fewer snaps for the D, thanks to the O being on the field more, will help guys like Quinn who have had injury issues the last few years. Overall wear and tear could be reduced, and they could be fresher for those eventual games that will be tight late where we need a big play from the D.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Excellent point! This will be an even more important factor as the season grinds on in terms of fatigue and potential injuries.

Let's go back in time and tell Fisher that a hurry up offense can actually help rest the defense by actually, you know, moving the ball.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
No surprise, always knew he was a natural at FS despite his height. Fisher didn't utilize him as one because Williams's scheme doesn't have a true FS

fearsomefour

Legend
Mo missed a big tackle and missed it badly yesterday and that was really the only play I remember seeing him in.
I remember that play as well, the should have been TD by the Colts RB....quite a few misses tackles yesterday, just not in the Rams game, but, every game I watched.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
DB's Tackles

Starter-FS/Nickle Joyner 4 tacks
Reserve FS/Nickle Countess 3 tacks
Starter-CB Johnson 2 tacks
Reserve-CB NRC 2 tacks
Starter-SS Alexander 2 tacks

The rest have 1 tackle each.