Rams free-agent preview: Defensive tackle/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams free-agent preview: Defensive tackle
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/16684/rams-free-agent-preview-defensive-tackle-2

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- The free-agent market is scheduled to open March 10 and teams may begin negotiations with those poised to hit the market beginning March 7. We'll count down to that with a position-by-position look at what the St. Louis Rams have in place, who is set to hit the market, what they might need and who might fit the bill.

Under contract: Michael Brockers, Aaron Donald

Pending free agents: Alex Carrington, Kendall Langford (released)

What's needed: The Rams have the defensive tackle duo they hope to have for a long time in place with Brockers and Donald. Donald is, perhaps, already the team's best player and took home the Defensive Rookie of the Year award for his troubles in 2014. He's under Rams' control for at least the next four years. Brockers was asked to adjust to a less glamorous role that asked him to play more of a nose position in the season's second half. He took to the role and performed better as the year went on. The Rams have until May to exercise a fifth-year option on Brockers for 2017. It's all but certain that they'll do that in order to keep Brockers around. But the Rams have little in the way of depth behind the starters. They released Langford to save salary-cap space and Carrington was a disappointment after signing a one-year deal last offseason. The door is open for Langford's return but he's expected to land a starting job somewhere else. Ends William Hayes, Eugene Sims and Ethan Westbrooks all have the ability to play inside which lessens the urgency for adding at the position but it's probably a safe bet the Rams will look to add a body or two in the draft or free agency.

Possible fits: Forget about the high-priced options like Ndamukong Suh, Terrance Knighton and Henry Melton. The Rams will likely shop in the bargain bin if they look to add someone at this position. Some of the names headed for the market include Arizona's Dan Williams, who would be a great fit for run downs as part of a rotation but will probably get a bigger role and more money elsewhere. Chicago's Stephen Paea, Denver's Mitch Unrein and Tennessee's Karl Klug are younger, lesser known types who might not command much money and would fit the bill for what the Rams are looking to spend.

Verdict: There isn't really an obvious choice or fit here for the Rams but I expect them to scour the market and look at add a veteran at some point in the process. More than likely, they'll approach things like they did with Carrington a year ago where they wait for the market to settle, see what's still available and then make a move. It's also possible they wait until the NFL draft to use a later pick to add at the position. The flexibility provided by Sims and Hayes should allow them to pursue this position with less urgency than other spots though make no mistake, depth is needed.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
"The Rams have until May to exercise a fifth-year option on Brockers for 2017. It's all but certain that they'll do that in order to keep Brockers around. But the Rams have little in the way of depth behind the starters."

This would be my priority above.... I would get NT Brockers here for the 2016 season. Yes the Rams do have some DL'ers who can play the DT post that Aaron Donald plays in but do not have a legit NT behind Brockers. When You list the non starting DL'ers the Rams have under contract.....

William Hayes 29 yrs 6-3 280
Eugene Sims 28 yr 6-6 270
Ethan Westbrooks 24 yrs 6-4 267
Matt Conrath 25 yrs 6-7 308
Mason Brodine 27 yrs 6-8 284
Doug Worthington 27 yrs 6-5 318

What's missing is a large run stuffing NT. So I really have no ideal which of the less unknown UFA NT fit this profile but that what they need. Rams might have a dandy NT fall into their laps in the draft too.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
"The Rams have until May to exercise a fifth-year option on Brockers for 2017. It's all but certain that they'll do that in order to keep Brockers around. But the Rams have little in the way of depth behind the starters."

This would be my priority above.... I would get NT Brockers here for the 2016 season. Yes the Rams do have some DL'ers who can play the DT post that Aaron Donald plays in but do not have a legit NT behind Brockers. When You list the non starting DL'ers the Rams have under contract.....

William Hayes 29 yrs 6-3 280
Eugene Sims 28 yr 6-6 270
Ethan Westbrooks 24 yrs 6-4 267
Matt Conrath 25 yrs 6-7 308
Mason Brodine 27 yrs 6-8 284
Doug Worthington 27 yrs 6-5 318

What's missing is a large run stuffing NT. So I really have no ideal which of the less unknown UFA NT fit this profile but that what they need. Rams might have a dandy NT fall into their laps in the draft too.
My thoughts exactly!