Rams focus on Bills and not slim playoff hopes

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
December 4, 2012
430282.jpg

719273.jpg

ST. LOUIS (AP) The word "playoffs" isn't being mentioned often around the St. Louis Rams' training facility unless asked by an outsider.

"This team is focused on Buffalo. It's our next opponent," coach Jeff Fisher said Monday at his weekly media gathering at Rams Park. "There's too much that could happen right now. I don't even know what the record is of some teams in the division. So, we just go play."

The Rams have made themselves into a playoff contender - albeit an outside one - with two consecutive divisional victories. Their 16-13 overtime win against San Francisco on Sunday comes a week after winning at Arizona and leaves them as the only NFC West squad undefeated against division opponents with one game to go.

St. Louis (5-6-1, 4-0-1) would need to leapfrog four teams to make the postseason, including the Seattle Seahawks, who host the Rams the final weekend of the regular season. This newfound hope of extending the season comes on the heels of a five-game stretch during which St. Louis went 0-4-1 and fell to 3-6-1.

"Regardless of whether we've won or lost the week before, our focus has gone on to the next week and that's exactly what we're going to continue to do," said quarterback Sam Bradford, who completed 26 of 39 passes for 221 yards against San Francisco. "Our focus now is going to Buffalo and getting another win."

Fisher said that despite the positive results the past two weeks it matters little if his team doesn't get a victory at Buffalo. The Rams have won just one road game and they followed up a 24-24 tie at San Francisco with a lackluster 27-13 home loss to the New York Jets.

The lack of consistency is one reason the Rams aren't talking about making the playoffs for the first time since 2004.

It's been a long road since. They went 29-83 without a winning season from 2005-2011, with their best finish coming in 2006 at 8-8 when the won their final three games. A victory Sunday will give St. Louis a non-losing record this late in the regular season for the first time since then.

"It feels pretty good," running back Steven Jackson said. "We have a lot of room to grow, but the one thing about this team that we learned about the personality of it that guys are going to continue to fight. Guys are going to continue to bring their `A' game despite what it looks like, despite what people may think. This group of men believe that we can compete at a high level."

Fisher said he likes the growth of his young team, but would like to see more from his offense in the final three games of the season.

The offense has struggled scoring this season and the Rams needed two defensive scores - a fumble returned for a touchdown and a safety - and two field goals from beyond 50 yards to get past the 49ers. Fisher gave credit to San Francisco's defense, ranked second in the NFL for total defense. He also readily offered up the need for the offense to provide some breathing room for the defense.

"We'd like to think we'd end up with balance in the game. We'll score points and play good defense. That was a situation (Sunday) where we found a way to win a game against a good team under difficult circumstances," he said. "But offensively, we need to pick things up here. We made plays in the passing game. Sam played very well against a difficult defense but we need more balance and more chunks and more scoring."

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
If everyone gets, and stays healthy, they have a shot. I really believe that. The line is coming together, the running game, and D are at a all time high.

We're going to have to see what team shows up in Buffalo though. That fucking Jets game is still so confusing to me. I can't wait for Sunday.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Username said:
If everyone gets, and stays healthy, they have a shot. I really believe that. The line is coming together, the running game, and D are at a all time high.

We're going to have to see what team shows up in Buffalo though. That fucking Jets game is still so confusing to me. I can't wait for Sunday.

The schedule definitely sets up nicely for a run at the Shehawks. I'm just pretending like there is no such thing as playoffs right now though and hoping they kick Bill ass. Maybe drill Fitzpatrick a couple of times for old times' sake.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Warner4Prez said:
Username said:

The schedule definitely sets up nicely for a run at the Shehawks. I'm just pretending like there is no such thing as playoffs right now though and hoping they kick Bill ass. Maybe drill Fitzpatrick a couple of times for old times' sake.

What I want is the chance to go IN TO Seattle ,with a playoff game for the winner on the line with a healthy SJ and a coach who will use him.
Then before a national audience SJ can make his case.
JMO if that is how it plays out, we could see an epic performance.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
If that last game in SEA turns out to be a play in game it would be so cool to get a group together to show up there. I saw a game in SEA back in '06, great place to watch a game.

We lead for about 58 minutes of that one and gave it away in the end. Man did the people in my section ever harass me afterward cuz I was loud and proud for those 58 minutes we were winning! :sly:

TK42-RAM

... still not at my post.
The focus should only be on the next team and playing one game one week at a time. Anyone in the organization starts thinking about anything other than this weeks contest and we will lose.

Bills is a massive game.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
TK42-RAM said:
The focus should only be on the next team and playing one game one week at a time. Anyone in the organization starts thinking about anything other than this weeks contest and we will lose.

Bills is a massive game.

Agreed, and I think Fisher will have them thinking Buffalo only but when they win this game, it will be harder to ignore because they will indeed be in the thick of it. It's fun for us Rams fans to talk about it though. I've been disecting the entire NFL schedule all week!

TK42-RAM

... still not at my post.
Ramhusker said:
TK42-RAM said:

Bills is a massive game.

Agreed, and I think Fisher will have them thinking Buffalo only but when they win this game, it will be harder to ignore because they will indeed be in the thick of it. It's fun for us Rams fans to talk about it though. I've been disecting the entire NFL schedule all week!

It is better than just having the draft to look forward to ... like we usually do at this stage of the season.

Really hope we can back up the great win v the whiners ... with a big win over the bills.

Go rams !!

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
TK42-RAM said:

Bills is a massive game.

I totally agree with this. I don't really care if the team thinks about the playoff chances though. As of right now they know the only logical choice to get there is to win out. If it gives them extra motivation I'm all for it.