Rams: Five Best Position Battles Heading into OTAs

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Alan

Legend
den-the-coach with his take:
IMO Barnes is not plan A, he might be plan C because if Barrett Jones does what many of thought he would do we will all forget this, but Jones needs to showcase the ability to be effective and stay healthy.
Especially the healthy part.

I don't have a clue what their plan is. It wouldn't surprise me if the starting job goes to Wang and that was their plan all along. :LOL:

You know it's not so much that I'm against what they're planning on the o-line and what they've done so far, it's mainly that I can't see a plan. I get the run first , power block refrigerators part but the rest is a mystery to me. Who do they really like at C right now? I wonder if they know themselves. What level of performance do they anticipate there from whomever they like? Are they thinking about picking up a vet before training camp? If they wait until TC starts there's going to be O-line injuries and somebody could scoop the guy you want up. If there's a guy you want that is.

I can't wait to see whatever it is unfold. I'm ready for TC NOW!!

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think they see Barnes as about as good as anybody they could actually get at center, at least without investing more than they would like to there. I think they like Jones' smarts, but that Rhaney if healthy has impressed them physically - so Barnes is the veteran insurance that so many have been calling for. Think of them as Jones is the girl that you enjoy hanging around with, but who you're not sure you can trust to stay there. Rhaney is the young pretty girl with major league yabbos, but who may not be ready for a real relationship, and Barnes is the stable, unexciting but steady girl friend type. The Rams are playing the field, trying to decide which one to ask steady, having given up the idea of trying to date the girl who for various reasons is out of their league.

Learn more in the next episode of The Dating Game!!!

CoachO

Hall of Fame
IMO Barnes is not plan A, he might be plan C because if Barrett Jones does what many of us thought he would do we will all forget this, but Jones needs to showcase the ability to be effective and stay healthy.
With all due respect, Barnes thus far has been better than Jones. and its not even close. They started out last year with Barnes ahead of Jones, and that was BEFORE he suffered the back injury.

Tim Barnes right now is the BEST option they have at the position. Barrett Jones will have to 1) show he can stay healthy throughout the OTAs AND training camp; 2) show he can actually play at this level & 3) be better than Barnes. All of his college accolades mean virtually zilch at this point.

People seem to think that Barnes is some stiff because he hasn't been a 3 year starter. But he has been a consistent member of this team, what will now be his 4th year. IMO, he is the classic example of a guy who has developed, and is now ready to assume a starter's role. There are a whole lot more guys who don't become starters until year 3 or 4, than those who are plug & play coming out of college.

When I mentioned how Barnes came to camp last year bigger and stronger, I said it as a way of showing how he has continued to develop. The first thing that stood out to me, was that more so than the year before (2013), he came to camp looking like a bonafide NFL lineman. He showed in the four games at the end of 2013 that he can play in this league, and by coming back stronger, he showed he did what was necessary to take the next step physically.

As far as the Rams making the decision not to tender him. It was nothing more than a simple case of placing a value on the position, and knowing they could save $$$ and bring him back. They were in constant communication with him, and he wanted to stay in STL. So it was never about letting him walk, it was purely knowing what they wanted to pay him, which was in line with his market value, rather than being locked into the tender figure.

Alan

Legend
Akrasian thinking the Rams wanted to stand pat:
I think they see Barnes as about as good as anybody they could actually get at center, at least without investing more than they would like to there. I think they like Jones' smarts, but that Rhaney if healthy has impressed them physically - so Barnes is the veteran insurance that so many have been calling for. Think of them as Jones is the girl that you enjoy hanging around with, but who you're not sure you can trust to stay there. Rhaney is the young pretty girl with major league yabbos, but who may not be ready for a real relationship, and Barnes is the stable, unexciting but steady girl friend type. The Rams are playing the field, trying to decide which one to ask steady, having given up the idea of trying to date the girl who for various reasons is out of their league.

Learn more in the next episode of The Dating Game!!!
That's an easy decision. Just ask them if they put out on the first date and go with the one that says yes. :LOL:

I think you're right about how they look at our in house options. I just wonder if their looking in the right direction. There were some, though expensive, options in FA but not much in the draft after Marpet was picked but knowing they wanted to trade down again even before picking Havenstein makes me think they weren't thrilled with anything in the draft.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
  • My bet is that Jones will not start. He is way behind on time and he would have to make a huge leap in camp to move ahead of others, like Barnes and even Washington.
  • Barnes is a placeholder, IMO. He may currently be the best that the Rams have but he showed in Seattle that he is not 'ideal'
  • The Rams are really set up nicely at Corner. They can lose either Jenkins or Tru in free agency and not skip a beat. They could lose them both of Joyner pans out, but I am not convinced that he will.
  • Speaking of Joyner, what a wasted pick. I know it didn't seem like it when he was picked but I really felt they did their usually round 2 swing and miss on that pick. They could have traded back and gotten Garapolo in that round. Wait and see, he will start one day in the NFL and not because his starter is suspended.
  • I don't understand the interest in Ayers.......at all. Where does he fit with Barron on the team? For as much as they used a SLB they could have just stayed status quo.
  • I continue to look to the future with this team trying to figure out how they are setting themselves up for long term success. I said they have CB covered for a while, LB is a concern as is DE as we saw last year but overall the team seems to be in pretty good position. The one sticking point that remains for me is using a #33 pick on Quick. If he cannot come back healthy this season, his first contract will have been a huge waste and if he leaves via free agency it will be an even bigger waste. I am still not confident that Fisher and Snead have the WR thing figured out. They used high picks on a few and the main man is a free agent signing.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
As far as the Rams making the decision not to tender him. It was nothing more than a simple case of placing a value on the position, and knowing they could save $$$ and bring him back. They were in constant communication with him, and he wanted to stay in STL. So it was never about letting him walk, it was purely knowing what they wanted to pay him, which was in line with his market value, rather than being locked into the tender figure.

Well, I'm pleased Barnes is back and since they overpaid for Wells they get Barnes at a bargain price. In the end I concur Barrett Jones has quite a hill to climb and I would not be shocked if Barnes is the starter from day one of OTA's and come September, however, it will be one of the position that will be under the microscope come training camp.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm hoping the battles at C and OG arent of the "Battle of attrition" ilk

Alan

Legend
Elmgrovegnome not in :love: with Joyner:
  • Speaking of Joyner, what a wasted pick. I know it didn't seem like it when he was picked but I really felt they did their usually round 2 swing and miss on that pick. They could have traded back and gotten Garapolo in that round. Wait and see, he will start one day in the NFL and not because his starter is suspended.
  • I don't understand the interest in Ayers.......at all. Where does he fit with Barron on the team? For as much as they used a SLB they could have just stayed status quo.
In fairness to the Snisher brain trust, I remember when that pick took place and while I didn't like him because of his size, he was the best CB left on the board both in my own personal opinion and that of most of the draft sites. Would you be saying this had Gaines not turned out so well? Think where our CB corps would be without both of them. That's not hindsight because I think only a fool would count on a 6th round pick to make the team much less become a quality starter.

I like Ayers for two reasons. First, it will get Dunbar of the field and I haven't been enamored with his play for the last two years. Secondly, it allows Tree to move to WLB, which IMO suits his skill set much better than SLB. I think Ayers is an excellent in the box SLB and even if he isn't "excellent" he's a huge upgrade over Dunbar if only for his pass rush abilities.

I like the other stuff you said. (y)

EDIT: Changed SS to SLB. :oops:

Last edited:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
You Got #50 Ken Iman who was our center from 1965-1974 and won the first two Superbowls playing for Lombardi and the Packers and was Rams MVP in 1972 as Roman Gabriels center and Gabe won League MVP in 1969. The first of 3 RAMS centers to almost play a decade starting and the next 2 went to 6 Pro Bowls each .
Ken Iman gave way to #61 Rich Saul played from 1970-1981 with 6 Rams Pro Bowls. Then came #56 Doug Smith from 1982- 1991 with also 6 Rams Pro Bowls and led many great lines
This^ is why I have these three as my "All Time Best" Rams Centers!