Rams' Fisher baffled by some penalty calls/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams' Fisher baffled by some penalty calls
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_18c5ac8a-d8f3-5825-9a00-c7cf9b77f452.html

You get the feeling that sometime before the Rams conclude their 2014 season, coach Jeff Fisher’s head just might explode over the officiating. That’s partly because, as a longtime member of the NFL’s competition committee, he knows the rules of the game like few others.

But it’s also a result of, well, we’ll let Fisher speak for himself.

“Unfortunately, it seems like every week is an adventure with the officiating,” Fisher said.

Perhaps no game day this season was as adventurous as Sunday’s 27-24 loss at San Diego.

The Rams had two touchdowns called back by penalties, had a 76-yard punt return by Tavon Austin cut in half by another flag, and also had a 23-yard catch by Stedman Bailey and a 16-yard run by Tre Mason nullified by infractions.

Put them all together, and it adds up to 132 lost yards — 94 yards of offense and 38 yards of Austin’s punt return. And that’s not counting the actual penalty yards themselves marked off.

Critiquing the officiating has become almost a weekly feature of Fisher’s Monday media briefings at Rams Park. For a while this Monday, it looked like Fisher would take more of a high road on officiating.

“We deal with it and we move on,” Fisher said. “They’re doing the best they can. Dean (Blandino) is doing the best he can. From a consistency standpoint, that’s what he’s striving for. ... There were some things that I disagreed with (Sunday). But you can’t change it.”

Blandino is the NFL’s vice president of officiating.

But just when it looked like Fisher wanted to move on from officiating questions, he was reminded that referee Carl Cheffers crew was the most flag-happy crew in the NFL this season, throwing an average of 19.6 penalties per game according to ESPN Stats & Info.

“We knew that going in,” Fisher said. “I knew that ... that crew was gonna throw (flags), and we talked about it.”

And throw they did. The Rams were flagged nine times for 90 yards Sunday. San Diego wasn’t far behind with eight penalties for 85 yards. Including penalties that were declined and offsetting penalties, there were a total of 22 penalties called.

“They were incorrect at times during the game,” Fisher said. “They missed some things as well. It’s just part of our game. It’s the human element in the game.”

Human element or not, Fisher said he still can’t find the holding penalty assessed on Marshall McFadden on the long Austin punt return in the fourth quarter. He can’t find a penalty anywhere on the play on the coaches’ film.

“According to (Cheffers’ crew), there was supposedly a foul during the kick on the line of scrimmage,” Fisher said. “Didn’t see it. I mean, we’ve been looking for it. Seriously, we looked all over the place for it. We just didn’t see it.”

Fisher made it sound like Rams coaches looked everywhere except under couch cushions for a Rams infraction on the Austin return.

“Yeah we did,” Fisher said, smiling. “We even looked at some other games, and didn’t see it, so ...”

OK, that was a joke.

But on a serious note, that’s two long punt returns by Austin in the past four games negated by referee miscues as Fisher sees it.

“I feel bad for Tavon because we go to San Francisco (Nov. 2) and we were called out of bounds and we’re called for an illegal block above the waist, and it’s not (an illegal block),” Fisher said.

In that game, Austin had what appeared to be a 61-yard punt return for a touchdown blown dead, although replays showed that he never stepped out of bounds. On the same play, Daren Bates was the Rams player called for an illegal block above the waist.

There were several other calls, or non-calls, in the San Diego game that Fisher didn’t agree with.

On the interception by Marcus Gilchrist to end the Rams’ last-ditch scoring drive, Fisher said Chargers cornerback Shareece Wright should’ve been called for holding Rams wide receiver Kenny Britt.

“Sometimes your guys are held, and Kenny was grabbed on the last play,” Fisher said. “But that’s no reason to throw the ball to Kenny. You guys saw it, Benny (Cunningham) came open and Shaun (Hill) just made a bad decision.”

But the penalty that led to the most heated reaction by Fisher during the game came on the blocked Greg Zuerlein field goal with 4 1/2 minutes to play in the first half. There was a flag on the play, and when originally told by Cheffers’ crew that it was a neutral zone infraction, Fisher was happy.

The kick came on a fourth-and-2 at the San Diego 28, so Fisher thought the Rams had a first down. He got irritated — in a big way — when told the neutral zone infraction was against the Rams.

“I thought maybe they got the teams switched,” Fisher said Sunday after the game. “Because a neutral zone infraction is basically a defensive infraction. And our field goal team, they interlock their legs. So it’s nearly impossible to have one our your protectors in the neutral zone.

“But they were adamant that that was the call. I’ve never heard that ever called before.”

Now he has. Just another “adventure” in officiating.

Jumava1968

Starter
Name
Jumava
Our Rams have been called for so many BS penalties and non calls this year,that its something that I'm actually waiting for when it does happen.Why is all this happening some of these calls are so obviously wrong that there has to be an agenda behind it.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Our Rams have been called for so many BS penalties and non calls this year,that its something that I'm actually waiting for when it does happen.Why is all this happening some of these calls are so obviously wrong that there has to be an agenda behind it.
Here's the thing, you never see a terrible, game breaking bad call go in favor of the Rams. NEVER. It almost never happens, but it happens all of the time the other way. I don't understand it. The only thing that makes sense is that there is some type of agenda.

I think refs go into the game thinking that the Rams are terrible/bullies and the only way that they can win is by cheating. So the Rams make a big play and then there's a phantom call. Everytime.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
This, and I just don't see bad calls evening out for all the teams. Some teams suffer from ref incompetence far worse than others, no matter how many posters want to call saying so ridiculous.

I'm not saying that games are as predetermined as WWE matches, but there absolutely seems to be an agenda at play, whether it's coming from Goodell (which none of us should put past him) or just institutionalized bias on the part of the refs,

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
This, and I just don't see bad calls evening out for all the teams. Some teams suffer from ref incompetence far worse than others, no matter how many posters want to call saying so ridiculous.

I'm not saying that games are as predetermined as WWE matches, but there absolutely seems to be an agenda at play, whether it's coming from Goodell (which none of us should put past him) or just institutionalized bias on the part of the refs,
Or some of this:

referee.jpg

Oldgeek

I'm old and can't wait another 20 years for a SB W
Name
Steve
Why does the NFL keep crews together that are so bad? Very poor product this year due to the officiating. Sometimes the games are almost unwatchable.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
The officiating has become too big a part of the game. These fucktards have NO culpability what so ever for their blatantly bad, game changing calls. It is down right cheating. Think Vegas doesn't have something to do with these games? Think again.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Take a minute sometime to check out what former NBA ref Tim Donaghy had to say about how the NBA dictated how games should be called behind the scenes. Many just poo poo his claims because the dude made some very bad decisions. Well,,, if you don't think the same thing is happening in today's NFL... you are blinded by The Shield.

There's just no possible way that the officiating can be this fucking bad at the game's Highest Level. No Fucking Way.

I'm not a casual fan. My eyes clearly see through this shit.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Take a minute sometime to check out what former NBA ref Tim Donaghy had to say about how the NBA dictated how games should be called behind the scenes. Many just poo poo his claims because the dude made some very bad decisions. Well,,, if you don't think the same thing is happening in today's NFL... you are blinded by The Shield.

There's just no possible way that the officiating can be this freaking bad at the game's Highest Level. No freaking Way.

I'm not a casual fan. My eyes clearly see through this crap.

I really don't know what it is. But it certainly makes you question the system when you watch the calls being handed out week after week. They're so bad that they're almost inexplicable.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Some bad calls are expected, it happens. But when it happens mostly on the Rams, multiple times a game, in EVERY game, you have to think something else is going on. Now I'm no conspiracy theorist but...

PBone

UDFA
Name
Michael
After the neutral zone penalty on the offense and all the other offensive penalties on the Rams i was waiting to see the first ever "roughing the passer" on the offense.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
The Rams are a small market team with one of the leagues smallest fan bases. I'm sure that's a big part of it.

GreenMays

UDFA
Fisher said he still can’t find the holding penalty assessed on Marshall McFadden on the long Austin punt return in the fourth quarter. ..."Didn’t see it. I mean, we’ve been looking for it. Seriously, we looked all over the place for it. We just didn’t see it.”

No disrespect to coach Fisher, but it's a clear hold. The screenshots don't do it justice. In the video you can see McFadden's hands pulling the guy back. He's trying to get down field and his momentum just stops. I definitely think the Rams are getting screwed on penalties this year, but this isn't one of them.

wk-12-punt.jpg

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
Some bad calls are expected, it happens. But when it happens mostly on the Rams, multiple times a game, in EVERY game, you have to think something else is going on. Now I'm no conspiracy theorist but...

has anyone looked at the play where hill is hit and the ball comes out and is returned for a td. I looked at this play and i'm sure his arm is going forward before the ball comes out. this play was reviewed and still called a fumble so if your into conspiracy this one goes further than just the refs. it also includes the replay officals.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan

has anyone looked at the play where hill is hit and the ball comes out and is returned for a td. I looked at this play and i'm sure his arm is going forward before the ball comes out. this play was reviewed and still called a fumble so if your into conspiracy this one goes further than just the refs. it also includes the replay officials.

theduke

Rookie
Camp Reporter
Fisher said he still can’t find the holding penalty assessed on Marshall McFadden on the long Austin punt return in the fourth quarter. ..."Didn’t see it. I mean, we’ve been looking for it. Seriously, we looked all over the place for it. We just didn’t see it.”

No disrespect to coach Fisher, but it's a clear hold. The screenshots don't do it justice. In the video you can see McFadden's hands pulling the guy back. He's trying to get down field and his momentum just stops. I definitely think the Rams are getting screwed on penalties this year, but this isn't one of them.

View attachment 4238

Yeah, I saw the same thing. He also held the same exact way on at least one other punt in the first quarter. I think this hold was called as an adjustment by the refs on the earlier play(s). Kenny Britt does look like he's being held or PI'd on the interception play at the end of the game, though.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
has anyone mentioned the block in the back on the Keenan Allen TD that gave San Diego the lead 20-7. when they showed the replay at the stadium it was clear to me

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Romo had 7-8 seconds to throw two plays in a row, the second of which resulted in a TD.
I know their O-line is good, but come the fuck on.:shades: I'm not saying their crooked, but they call different teams differently.
(Wasn't that Blandino getting off the Dallas party bus?):huh: