Rams' First Opponent is Motivated/Latsch

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams' first opponent is motivated
By Nate Latsch

http://www.scout.com/sports/nfl/rams/story/1550080-rams-first-opponent-is-motivated?s=124

The St. Louis Rams have just one victory in their past eight season openers and figure to have an even more formidable test on Sept. 13 when they host the reigning NFC champion Seattle Seahawks.

The Seahawks may be more motivated this offseason than ever before considering how the final minutes of the Super Bowl unfolded. A year ago, they were celebrating a championship. This offseason they were focused on coming up short.

“Oh yeah, I told a lot of people, it feels like this offseason, everybody worked their hardest,” Seattle safety Kam Chancellor told reporters on Tuesday. “I’ve seen guys out here busting their tails, the whole offseason going fast-tempo. Guys are lifting like crazy. It’s just like the mindset is just sharpened. It just sharpened even more. We’re more focused, more driven. We’re just hungry for the first game of the year.”

That is bad news for the Rams, who are coming off a 6-10 campaign and haven’t had a winning season or made the playoffs in more than a decade. St. Louis, which could have five new starters on offense, will face 2014 playoff teams in four of its first five games.

The Rams lost four of their first five games in 2014, including getting blown out 34-6 by the juggernaut that was the Matt Cassel-led Minnesota Vikings in the season opener at the Edward Jones Dome.

The Seahawks, who went 12-4 a year ago to win the NFC West, return much of their core from last season.

Quarterback Russell Wilson is back after throwing for 3,475 yards and 20 touchdowns and running for 849 yards and six scores. Running back Marshawn Lynch had 1,306 yards rushing and 13 touchdowns last season. Seattle upgraded its offense by trading for Pro Bowl tight end Jimmy Graham, who had 85 catches for 889 yards and eight scores in his final season with the New Orleans Saints.

The defense returns many of the players that helped the Seahawks lead the NFL in fewest points allowed (15.9), fewest yards allowed (267.1) and fewest passing yards allowed (185.5) last season.

Cornerback Richard Sherman, middle linebacker Bobby Wagner and safeties Earl Thomas and Chancellor are all back for 2015.

But it may hurt more for Rams fans knowing that Chancellor, a three-time Pro Bowler, was selected with the fifth-round pick in 2010 immediately after the Rams took tight end Michael Hoomanawanui.

The Rams and Seahawks have had some entertaining games over the past few years, especially in St. Louis.

The Rams beat the Seahawks 28-26 in 2014 with the help of a strong performance from quarterback Austin Davis and Stedman Bailey’s 90-yard misdirection punt return for a touchdown.

In 2013, the Seahawks beat the Rams 14-9 in a Monday night showdown after Kellen Clemens, making his first start at quarterback after Sam Bradford got hurt a week earlier, drove the team down the field but was unable to score a touchdown in the final seconds.

The Rams beat the Seahawks 19-13 in 2013 behind four field goals from rookie kicker Greg Zuerlein, including from 58 and 60 yards, and a touchdown pass from punter Johnny Hekker.

We can only hope that this year’s season opener features the same level of theatrics and dramatics as the last three Rams-Seahawks meetings at the Jones Dome. The Seahawks will be motivated and the Rams will have plenty to prove.

Moostache

Rookie
Judging by how some other teams that lost heartbreaking championship games in the past (like the Rams following the loss in SB36) came back the following year, I am hoping for the Seahawks to come out like the 2002 Rams against the Giants.

IIRC, Warner fumbled 5 times in the first half of that one and it was a long ass season from there. There used to be a fairly consistent trend of super bowl losing failing to make the playoffs the following season, so counting on Seattle to be all that and a bag of chips again is no certainty!

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
They won't be motivated for very long the Rams will knock all that motivation right out of them in the first quarter of the game.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
They won't be motivated for very long the Rams will knock all that motivation right out of them in the first quarter of the game.
Everyone on our D-Line will have a Sack in the 1st Quarter! Wilson will be carried off the Field in a Cart!
" And Thordaddy will be heard yelling 'GO RAMS' all the way from Valhalla !!"

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
All theatrics aside this will be a very important game for setting tone in the division. The Rams are coming out with a retooled offense and defense that should be fearsome. It's important to Seattle to smack them down, and if that doesn't happen they might well find themselves in a dogfight for this division with the Rams and Cards.

It should be one hell of a game. What a way to open a season, and here's hoping the Rams come out hard and let this league know this young team is ready to take its place among the contenders.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Why am I not scared at all? We're gonna bully the chickens in the opener. We can apply an overwhelming amount of pressure by just rushing 6 and dropping 5 on disguised blitzes. Seahawks are buzzard meat.

Long-Donald-Fairly-Quinn
Barron-Ayers-McDonald alternating on the pressure.

They're dead!!!

ram007

Starter
I don;t like this match up in the first week. I would have liked to open with Washington or Cleveland.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
IMO, there is really nothing here that isn't expected. Talk is cheap in the NFL and the sea-chickens will find out how much their SB loss will effect them in the 2015 season. I love how the writer says seattle will be motivated. Are you shitting me? Does he not think the RAMS won't be motivated either? They will be sky high for this game wanting to show the rest of the league they have arrived. What better way than beat your division rival, at home, and who is coming off a last minute super bowl loss. I just hope the dome is completely packed and rocking! By the way, I would be absolutely surprised if we are the favorite in this game. In 2015, if other teams take the RAMS too lightly, they will wind up getting bitch-slapped. Lastly, I just love it when some of these pundits state the obvious. "Seattle will be motivated", and "the RAMS have something to prove." Way to go out on a ledge with your article. SMH!

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Spread: Seahawks -3 1/2, Moneyline: Seahawks -190, Rams +220

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
eMYniOH.jpg

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
This game could possibly be a blessing in disguise. Our team almost always gets up to play, and plays better football against our NFC West opponents. You better believe that Seattle is who we typically play the best against. Go Rams!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
So losing the SB somehow makes them more motivated?

BS.

Seattle will be no more motivated than our Rams... And the outcome of the game will have nothing to do with the final game of 2014.

nighttrain

Legend
Didn't we go 4-1-1 in our division the year Seattle won the SB, and SF is not nearly as scary now
GO RAMS
train

PARAM

Hall of Fame
If losing makes you more motivated, we oughta be on fire.

LOL!!! Yeah, if you're not motivated for every game and opponent in a sport where a full season consists of just 16 regular season games, then you should play baseball. Saying a certain opponent is motivated reminds me of a TV interview with Parcells before an Eagle/Giants game back in the late 80's. When asked what kind of game to expect, he said, "oh, well their a division opponent...yadda, yadda, yadda......you can throw out the records when these two teams play...yadda, yadda, yadda....What kind of game should you expect? A tough football game". I think he wanted to add "you asshole" but that's just guessing from his demeanor and disgust with the question.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
So the Sea wants to make a statement. That irritates me. And if it irritate me I'm sure it more then irritates the Rams. Bring it on losers.