Rams finish in middle of the pack in special-teams rankings

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams finish in middle of the pack in special-teams rankings
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...-middle-of-the-pack-in-special-teams-rankings

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Behind the right foot of Johnny Hekker, the Rams had one of the best punting seasons in NFL history. Hekker's 2015 season will go down as one of the most productive a punter has ever had. But despite Hekker's heroics, the Rams' special teams weren't too productive.

Each offseason, Dallas Morning News columnist Rick Gosselin uses a formula consisting of 22 categories to rate each team's performance on special teams. After the Rams finished ninth in the NFL in 2014, they dropped back to the middle of the pack this season. The Rams finished No. 18 in the overall rankings with a cumulative score of 361, a significant drop from the 308.5 they posted in 2014 (the lower the score, the better).

By way of comparison, the Baltimore Ravens finished first with 231 points and the San Diego Chargers came in last with 490.5 points.

It should be no surprise that the Rams finished at the top of the rankings in most punting categories. Hekker, who earned All-Pro honors and his second Pro Bowl bid for his work, helped the Rams finish first in punting, net punting and punts inside the 20.

On the flip side, the other part of the kicking game let the Rams down. Kicker Greg Zuerlein 's struggles dropped the Rams to last in the league in field goal percentage. Coach Jeff Fisher has already indicated that the Rams will have competition at kicker this offseason even if Zuerlein re-signs as a free agent.

Another area that cost the Rams major points was their issues with penalties. They had a whopping 29 penalties on special teams in 2015, the most in the NFL. That's been a problem for the Rams since Fisher's arrival in 2012 and has yet to cease.

Those penalties undoubtedly cost the Rams in other categories, too, especially on punt returns. Returner Tavon Austin again lost multiple long returns because of flags.

The Rams could have more changes than at kicker this offseason. Kick returner Benny Cunningham and other key special teamers such as safety Cody Davis, linebacker Daren Bates and running back Chase Reynolds are all scheduled for restricted free agency.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Might as well have competition at kicker. Zuerlein wasn't used nearly enough this past year in terms of kicking long field goals. A safe estimate is that they refused to kick a half dozen field goals from beyond 50 yards this year in order to play the field position game instead. If you don't have enough faith in him to kick *accurately* from distances of 50-60 yards (because we know he has the distance), then his big leg is pretty much a useless asset.

bluecollarram

Starter
Name
Dave
Might as well have competition at kicker. Zuerlein wasn't used nearly enough this past year in terms of kicking long field goals. A safe estimate is that they refused to kick a half dozen field goals from beyond 50 yards this year in order to play the field position game instead. If you don't have enough faith in him to kick *accurately* from distances of 50-60 yards (because we know he has the distance), then his big leg is pretty much a useless asset.
I think JH punting as well as he has makes JF hesitant to take a coin flip on a long FG.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I think JH punting as well as he has makes JF hesitant to take a coin flip on a long FG.
I'm sure. But if you don't wanna take a chance because you think you can get another shot at getting closer the next time, then what's the point of having a kicker who can nail it from 65 yards out? It's kind of a waste. Might as well get a more accurate kicker whose range is more in the 45-52 yard range.

bluecollarram

Starter
Name
Dave
I'm sure. But if you don't wanna take a chance because you think you can get another shot at getting closer the next time, then what's the point of having a kicker who can nail it from 65 yards out? It's kind of a waste. Might as well get a more accurate kicker whose range is more in the 45-52 yard range.
I agree with your point. I'm guessing as to why JF makes those calls.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I agree with your point. I'm guessing as to why JF makes those calls.
I'm sure you're right. More faith in his defense than his kicker, and that's why (I assume) he's looking for more options.