Rams finish 28th in PFF's offensive line rankings/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams finish 28th in PFF's offensive line rankings
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...s-finish-28th-in-pffs-offensive-line-rankings

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- The good news for the Los Angeles Rams offensive line is that it improved in the eyes of Pro Football Focus in 2015. The bad news is that the three-spot jump in PFF's annual offensive line rankings still leaves the Rams at a lowly 28th in the NFL.

As always, these rankings aren't an end-all, be-all when it comes to performance and there were some positives for the Rams upfront over the course of the season. It was a group that struggled as much as expected in the early going but performed better as the year wore on. Of course, by the time the Rams found some cohesion, it was too late to make a playoff run.

It's exactly what many believed would happen when the team refused to add proven veterans in free agency. After the season, coach Jeff Fisher said he didn't have regrets about the approach.

"As I've said numerous times, since our arrival here we've been wanting to go ahead and build that offensive line through the draft," Fisher said. "We haven't had the opportunity because of the other needs. This year we had the opportunity. This is going to be a good group and it's going to be a good group for a long time with depth.”

Coincidentally, it was the one veteran the Rams did add via free agency that fared the best in the eyes of Pro Football Focus: guard Garrett Reynolds. Reynolds was a stabilizing factor for the line, settling in at left guard but also chipping in at right tackle when need be.

As for biggest disappointment, well, it should be no surprise that the finger got pointed at second-year left tackle Greg Robinson. Robinson still struggles with penalties and pass protection. The Rams need him to take a massive step forward sooner than later or they're going to have seek alternatives.

Still, the Rams appear to have some intriguing young pieces in place. An argument could be made that rookie right tackle Rob Havenstein was the group's most consistent performer when he was healthy. He did not allow a sack or draw a penalty, according to the Rams coaches review of the tape.

Rookie guards Jamon Brown and Cody Wichmann also had their moments in combining for 16 starts and should factor into the mix moving forward.

This is still going to be a young group in 2016 but at least this time around it will have some experience. Rookies accounted for 31 starts on the offensive line, nearly 40 percent of the total for that group overall.

While the total ranking via PFF's grading system would indicate major issues on the offensive line, it's only fair to point out that the Rams allowed the fewest sacks in the league (18) and finished seventh in the NFL in rushing yards per game.

Undoubtedly, it would serve the Rams well to continue to seek help for the offensive line moving forward, especially at center. But now that they've invested so much time and willingness to lose in the short-term, they'd also be wise to see their investments through.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Next year's opening Sunday OL will be: GRob / Brown / Draftee / Wichmann / Havenstein. Pretty cool that the Rams nailed 3x starting OL in that draft.

As to center I think they try to bring Barnes back only if he's cheap. If not they draft the position.

FA will be dedicated to getting key defenders back and bringing in a WR who can catch the effin ball.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
While the total ranking via PFF's grading system would indicate major issues on the offensive line, it's only fair to point out that the Rams allowed the fewest sacks in the league (18) and finished seventh in the NFL in rushing yards per game.
To me this ^ shows our "Rookie" O-Line was improving all year, And will be much better with a year in the NFL under their collective belts!!

I personally like the way our New Center came along by seasons end! And our RT wasn't too shabby either!!
IF Brown comes back healthy, and we can find a good back-up for Saffold, we start OT and Preseason in good shape!

I really hope GRob gets his act together in the Off Season, and gets some special Training in footwork and hand use!! ( Maybe some form of Martial Arts Training! Like DeMarco Farr did!! JMHO

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
Anyone know what we finished up last year, is this an improvement?

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Hopefully there won't be any long-term injuries in our line. Even though the line was atrocious at times. It was capable of showing promise, now it's just up to the coaching staff to STOP SHUFFLING THE DAMN O-LINE AS IT'S RUINING THEIR FUCKING CHEMISTRY.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
now it's just up to the coaching staff to STOP SHUFFLING THE DAMN O-LINE AS IT'S RUINING THEIR freaking CHEMISTRY.
Your will always get OL shuffling if you have Rodger Saffold as a starter. In truth the OL started out with GRob @ OLT & ended up with Grob. The OC started out with Tim Barnes and finished at OC. Rams started out with Rob Havenstien @ ORT & they ended with Havenstein. Whats left ? both OG spots were the issue where we saw the shuffling continue.

OLG had many different starters taking their turn working here. Started out with rookie (#1)Jamon Brown for 4 games then (#2)Rodger Saffold started one till he was injured then (#3)Andrew Donnal started one & then finally (#4)Garrett Reynolds got in 10 starts @ OLG. I even think that (#5)Cody Wichmann got about a half game in @ OLG too.The best play @ OLG did not come from Rodger Saffold!!!!!! It came when Garrett Reynolds settled things down. But the real future star @ Left OG is Jamon Brown. Both Brown & Reynolds will be available for duties in 2016(y).

ORG post started out with (#1)Saffold who got 4 games in as starter. Then they turned to (#2)Jamon Brown who was bumped from his OLG post with 5 starts until injured. Then (#3)Demetruis Rhaney got in one start. Finally Paul Boudreau got (#4)Cody Wichmann in for 6 starts & looked real comfortable playing next to Rob Havenstein. Sure appears like its Cody Wichmann's starting post to lose in 2016.
As to center I think they try to bring Barnes back only if he's cheap. If not they draft the position.
I am of the opinion that Tim Barnes is a serious need back as the centerpiece for this young OL. Tim Barnes has been hanging around the Rams since the beginning of the 2011 regular season as a UDFA. Since 2012 thru 2015 Barnes has been available, healthy & played in 61 Ram games out of a total 64 games possible in four seasons! That speaks volumes to me about his ability to remain healthy & ready to play, Barnes has started 20 games @ center for this Ram team....16 games this past season. Barnes has been working for peanuts & sofa change since 2011. Its time to pay the man what he deserves. Nows not the time to go cheap on our starting center:rant:!

Having Five reserve OL'ers like Darrell Williams OLT/ORT/OLG, Andrew Donnal ORT/ORG, Garrett Reynolds ORT/OLG, Isaiah Battle OLT & Demetrius Rhaney OC/OLG with Rodger Saffold being released looks pretty darn good to me.

Last edited:

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
LT = GRob, the dude is just getting better - all the time (lets not mess)
LG = Jamon Brown, he's going to be a monster mauler for us
OC = Tim Barnes, Mr Dependable (lets not lose the young vet on our line)
RG = Garrett Reynolds - another vet to settle things down
RT = Havenstein - he's going to be a monster for years to come

And you've got Saffold and Wichman & Donnal as swing guys - seriously, we're in a good place on the o-line

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Weird that the line could give up the least amount of sacks and be 7th in rushing yet still end up so close to the bottom.

Was happy when they signed Reynolds, wanted wiznewski at C, but how bout our right tackle! No sacks or penalties. Talk about a nice transition from college. This running game is going to roll this year. Now trade for brees. He likes cali.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Interesting rank, we were third in the NFL for sacks per pass attempt and when you take out qb rushing we were second in yards per attempt. Yet overall we rank 28. Clearly a worthy ranking system.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
RG = Garrett Reynolds - another vet to settle things down

Wichmann is already better than Reynolds, he'll own that job coming out of camp, barring injury. Also, Reynolds' best value is the first guy off the bench for either OG or OT, which will preclude the need to shuffle guys in the event of injury.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Interesting rank, we were third in the NFL for sacks per pass attempt and when you take out qb rushing we were second in yards per attempt. Yet overall we rank 28. Clearly a worthy ranking system.
No ranking system is foolproof, and I won't go into my usual PFF hate here, but for what it's worth here's the Football Outsiders ranks: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol
Rams 24th in rushing, 1st in pass protection.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
No ranking system is foolproof, and I won't go into my usual PFF hate here, but for what it's worth here's the Football Outsiders ranks: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol
Rams 24th in rushing, 1st in pass protection.

Rams show'd in 2015 that the Rams depend heavy on the blocks of Center Tim Barnes & Garrett Reynold's area of the OL. That pass blocking ranking is surprising. With Nick Foles the opponents wanted him to get the opportunity to throw the ball ...cuz it stood a good chance that Foles would put the ball the defenses handso_O.

Ram65

Legend
I'm not sure on Barnes,

I didn't see the big push in the run game. Some nice lanes for Todd Gurley but, he was the difference maker.
It looks better going into 2016. A year under the rookies belts and some improvement from GRob. I hope to see big improvement overall in 2016.

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not sure on Barnes,

I didn't see the big push in the run game. Some nice lanes for Todd Gurley but, he was the difference maker.
It looks better going into 2016. A year under the rookies belts and some improvement from GRob. I hope to see big improvement overall in 2016.
wasnt Barnes rated as one of the worst centers in the league ? they should try as hard as possible to get alex mack to solidify the most important OL position with a top player.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
As pointed out above,...... was it not both OG post where there was in & out change & another in & out change one after another. All of those different OG's .....what 9 different combo's??? Who was stuck in the middle of that one big mess??? Tim Barnes! I'll say this the Rams will be making a big mistake in not bringing Tim Barnes back.

I want no part of any UFA center again....it took us 3 seasons to get rid of that last high cost disaster Fisher purchased. I sure have NO issues drafting a serious OC prospect but please can we just keep this Robinson/Brown/Barnes/Wichmann/Havenstein OL together for a while before we go out & drag in some big cap hit @ center. I would hope to get this new young OL fully healthy & a good chuck of off season weight training, have this same OL line up in TC & pre season.....run them hard as a cohesive unit & see what they can do! It just might be magic as they are.

Austin

Rookie
Name
Douglas
I have to say, I find the stuff about our o-line giving up the least sacks to be a pretty misleading statistic. It does give me that little rush of pleasure to hear the Rams players recognized for anything, but when I think about it more, it seems artificially inflated by the fact that we led short drives, that we had a quarterback (Foles) who would throw it away if he thought the pressure was closing, a guy like Keenum, who would roll out a bunch and throw short passes or throwaways, and that we used a bunch of trick plays that slowed the rush. All of these things contributed more than any notable ability by our line to stop rushers.

I worry that if these factors are altered next year, and you see the Rams giving up more sacks, people will think the line has regressed (a conditional occurrence, obviously, but it's something I could see happening).

Anyway, I'm excited about the prospect of the young line sticking and growing together, and was mostly alright with how they fared in the passing game (and pretty disappointed about the run game), I just think they were by no means stand-outs in a positive way for our team (as should be expected of a rookie-riddled, injury-plagued o-line), and we run the risk of over-hyping their first year. I do agree this is an improvement, mostly because we can confidently agree that the pieces are there, and, more seasoned, we ought to see them improve. There are no guarantees, however, and none of them are "there" yet.

Ram65

Legend
wasnt Barnes rated as one of the worst centers in the league ? they should try as hard as possible to get alex mack to solidify the most important OL position with a top player.

The beginning of an article about Mack............http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2015/12/browns_alex_mack_on_looming_op.html

BEREA, Ohio -- Browns center Alex Mack will take his time after the season in deciding whether or not to opt out of his contract and didn't want to talk about it much on Wednesday, but he revealed one big factor in his decision.

"I will say that winning is really important to me,'' he said.

That's not good news for the win-challenged Browns............................

Well, you could put Rams in the win-challenged category. Mack's hometown is LA so that's a plus.I thought about Mack as a replacement for Barnes. Early in the year I thought Barnes was getting pushed around (back) a lot. That's my general game watching observations. I haven't studied any video replays of games. Mack's hometown is LA so that's a plus. He also is 30 so that's a minus.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/504640/alex-mack

I'm not sure the quality the draft has at OC or other free agents. It's still too early for me to say one way or another,

Last edited: