Rams fined $20K over Steven Jackson injury

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
By Dan Hanzus
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... son-injury

Baltimore Ravens coach John Harbaugh believes the NFL injury report "has no value" as presently constituted, but it continues to come at a cost for teams that don't thoroughly populate it.

The St. Louis Rams were fined $20,000 by the NFL last month for failing to report running back Stephen Jackson's groin injury in Week 2, according to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. The NFL later confirmed the issuing and timing of the fine.

The Rams are one of a handful of teams that have felt the wrath of a league office intent on sending a message.

This is the same fine that Harbaugh's Ravens received last week for not reporting safety Ed Reed's shoulder injury. The Washington Redskins and Buffalo Bills each were fined the same amount two weeks ago for failing to disclose injury information on quarterback Robert Griffin III and defensive end Mario Williams, respectively.

The lesson? Unless you want to cough up the financial equivalent of a new Honda Civic, add every player dealing with a physical issue. With the season inching into November, that should be just about everybody.

Follow Dan Hanzus on Twitter @danhanzus.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
I don't get the heavy hand that NFL HQ is playing these days.

A few questions...

- Why would the owners buy into such centralized power?

- Do the owners still get the money anyway (ie are these fines merely an accounting entry that doesn't impact the owners profits)?

- Where are the operating rules stipulated for NFL Franchises (what's the document called and is it available to the public)?

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
interference said:

A few questions...

- Do the owners still get the money anyway (ie are these fines merely an accounting entry that doesn't impact the owners profits)?

- Where are the operating rules stipulated for NFL Franchises (what's the document called and is it available to the public)?

I think the fine is perfectly fair. You can dispute if the injury reporting rules should be in place, but the rule are the rules. THey have to be enforced.

We had no idea what was going on with SJ. Most thought he was benched for spiking the ball. The questions pertaining to the reasoning lingered into the first part of the next week, despite what Fisher said about his injury post game.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
libertadrocks said:
interference said:

A few questions...

I think the fine is perfectly fair. You can dispute if the injury reporting rules should be in place, but the rule are the rules. THey have to be enforced.

We had no idea what was going on with SJ. Most thought he was benched for spiking the ball. The questions pertaining to the reasoning lingered into the first part of the next week, despite what Fisher said about his injury post game.
Well, where are these rules stipulated? Has anyone read them?

And, who signs-off on said rules?

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
interference said:
libertadrocks said:
interference said:

A few questions...

Why do you care?

The rules pertain to practices they deem to be relevent to the competitive fairness of the game, if they ALL have to comply it's policy period . People have been fined for it before this year and we wouldn't have known or really needed to know but a media darling got fined a lo and behold we find out about the Rams as well.

No biggie if the Rams pay in 20K and get 1/32 kicked back for their share of league revenues it's considered at the time the fine is levied so where's the objection?

stan

Rookie
The team drinks water instead of gatorade for a week or two. :roll:

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
stan said:
:lmao:
That puts an old man in mind of a story.
Youngest son and I were going into Wal Mart to buy his low carb low cal low fat food for his wrestling diet and we were talking hydration yesterday and I was telling him this.
When I wrestled they had JUST invented/ started comercially producing Gatorade and it was pretty expensive, but I was a "big guy " 191 pound wrestler and didn't cut water weight so I wasn't ALLOWED to have Gatorade.
For practices we had cold salt water in a fridge and Gatorade was reserved for AFTER weigh ins only.
I used to ask for just a taste , finally they gave me some, gagged me, nasty shit back in the day, I still don't like it.

stan

Rookie
Thordaddy said:
stan said:
Youngest son and I were going into Wal Mart to buy his low carb low cal low fat food for his wrestling diet and we were talking hydration yesterday and I was telling him this.
When I wrestled they had JUST invented/ started comercially producing Gatorade and it was pretty expensive, but I was a "big guy " 191 pound wrestler and didn't cut water weight so I wasn't ALLOWED to have Gatorade.
For practices we had cold salt water in a fridge and Gatorade was reserved for AFTER weigh ins only.
I used to ask for just a taste , finally they gave me some, gagged me, nasty shyte back in the day, I still don't like it.

I agree. Marketing has been enormously effective into turning people into know it nothings. Somehow the electrolytes in gatorade and all the other sugar saturated shit is believed to increase performance. We took a salt pill and drank water. Voila! Carbs for energy is another one. Gatorade is BS on both counts. Yet try to be the Little League coach that brings ice water for the dugout. The chorus of whining from both kids and parents is deafening because all they see on TV is a big gatorade cooler on every bench. Trust me parent your 100 pound second grader isn't being denied his athletic best by ice water in the dugout. The marketing is brainwashing all common sense. You would think no salt is present in our diet which is so far from the reality that we have far too much salt!

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
stan said:
Thordaddy said:
stan said:
I used to ask for just a taste , finally they gave me some, gagged me, nasty shyte back in the day, I still don't like it.

I agree. Marketing has been enormously effective into turning people into know it nothings. Somehow the electrolytes in gatorade and all the other sugar saturated shit is believed to increase performance. We took a salt pill and drank water. Voila! Carbs for energy is another one. Gatorade is BS on both counts. Yet try to be the Little League coach that brings ice water for the dugout. The chorus of whining from both kids and parents is deafening because all they see on TV is a big gatorade cooler on every bench. Trust me parent your 100 pound second grader isn't being denied his athletic best by ice water in the dugout. The marketing is brainwashing all common sense. You would think no salt is present in our diet which is so far from the reality that we have far too much salt!

Nah. You are wrong on that one. There is a lot of clinical research to support sports drinks. It helps restore you glycogen stores, re-hydrates you, and they have even proven the taste of something sweet mid-exertion allows you to preform better(its psychological. The brain assumes you are ingesting carbs when it detects that sweet taste)

I will say however that the vast majority of those who drink gatorade, shouldn't. A sports drink is only necessary if your workouts/training/athletic event last for more than 1 hour and is mid to high exertion.

Drinking gatorade casually is just as bad for you as drinking a full calorie soda.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Really it's mostly individual, I sluff salt because of my Nordic heredity vs southern Europeans Mid easterners and Africans , then there is placebo effects, I wasn't expecting a nutritional debate . I just don't like the original and overall they acknowledge how nasty it WAS by putting all the sugar and flavorings that wasn't part of the original.
I prefer fruits to replenish if possible but I will say the one thing I gotta agree with stan about is the digestive requirements sugar puts on an athlete,during competition I prefer pure water to rehydrate cuz it passes into the blood faster and doesn't draw a lot of blood to the intestine to absorb.
Like libertad sez long duration is big too so at some point water is only doing you so much good.
I don't really coach endurance athletes and we usually ask kids to only drink in quantity up to 30 minutes before competition and thereafter just avoid extreme thirst and use water.

stan

Rookie
libertadrocks said:
stan said:
I agree. Marketing has been enormously effective into turning people into know it nothings. Somehow the electrolytes in gatorade and all the other sugar saturated shyte is believed to increase performance. We took a salt pill and drank water. Voila! Carbs for energy is another one. Gatorade is BS on both counts. Yet try to be the Little League coach that brings ice water for the dugout. The chorus of whining from both kids and parents is deafening because all they see on TV is a big gatorade cooler on every bench. Trust me parent your 100 pound second grader isn't being denied his athletic best by ice water in the dugout. The marketing is brainwashing all common sense. You would think no salt is present in our diet which is so far from the reality that we have far too much salt!

Nah. You are wrong on that one. There is a lot of clinical research to support sports drinks. It helps restore you glycogen stores, re-hydrates you, and they have even proven the taste of something sweet mid-exertion allows you to preform better(its psychological. The brain assumes you are ingesting carbs when it detects that sweet taste)

I will say however that the vast majority of those who drink gatorade, shouldn't. A sports drink is only necessary if your workouts/training/athletic event last for more than 1 hour and is mid to high exertion.

Drinking gatorade casually is just as bad for you as drinking a full calorie soda.

Save it. The best endurance athletes in the world (Kenyan marathoners) get their energy from a diet high in high quality animal protein. Just like families feeding their kids predominately pasta or steaks. Guess which kids have the strength and endurance? It's not the spaghetti-Os crew!

Baseball and Gatorade? No. Football and Gatorade north of the Mason-Dixon Line? No. Gatorade was formulated to get athletes in the summer in FLORIDA to keep drinking liquids to replace water and salt lost through sweat. Water and a salt pill. No9 need to fool yourself. Good night sl;eep before too.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
stan said:
libertadrocks said:
stan said:
I agree. Marketing has been enormously effective into turning people into know it nothings. Somehow the electrolytes in gatorade and all the other sugar saturated shyte is believed to increase performance. We took a salt pill and drank water. Voila! Carbs for energy is another one. Gatorade is BS on both counts. Yet try to be the Little League coach that brings ice water for the dugout. The chorus of whining from both kids and parents is deafening because all they see on TV is a big gatorade cooler on every bench. Trust me parent your 100 pound second grader isn't being denied his athletic best by ice water in the dugout. The marketing is brainwashing all common sense. You would think no salt is present in our diet which is so far from the reality that we have far too much salt!

Save it. The best endurance athletes in the world (Kenyan marathoners) get their energy from a diet high in high quality animal protein. Just like families feeding their kids predominately pasta or steaks. Guess which kids have the strength and endurance? It's not the spaghetti-Os crew!

Baseball and Gatorade? No. Football and Gatorade north of the Mason-Dixon Line? No. Gatorade was formulated to get athletes in the summer in FLORIDA to keep drinking liquids to replace water and salt lost through sweat. Water and a salt pill. No9 need to fool yourself. Good night sl;eep before too.

Really???? Your kidding right?

Kenyans are the best marathoners, but it's not because they have diet high in "animal protein". They have very little animal protein in their diet. Meat is a luxury most Kenyans cannot afford. What makes them so good is a combination of culture and genetics.

IDK what in the hell your talking about when you bring up spaghetti-os. I wouldnt ever debate that processed food is better for you than whole foods. I grew up on processed food and as a result ended up obese. I whipped my ass into shape with whole foods and hard work.

If you were to read my previous post, you will notice what I said:
A sports drink is only necessary if your workouts/training/athletic event last for more than 1 hour and is mid to high exertion.

That would preclude baseball, as baseball is not a mid to high exertion sport. If you are preforming at a high exertion level for a prolonged period you need to replace glycogen stores, no mater the temperature. Thats what the simple sugars in gatorade does. Its the potassium and sodium that replaces what you lose from perspiration.

Salt water only provides 1 of the 3 properties necessary for prolonged athletic performance. That, in addition to the fact it taste terrible, is why NO ONE drinks salt water anymore. Science bro.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Thordaddy said:
interference said:
libertadrocks said:
interference said:

A few questions...

Why do you care?

The rules pertain to practices they deem to be relevent to the competitive fairness of the game, if they ALL have to comply it's policy period . People have been fined for it before this year and we wouldn't have known or really needed to know but a media darling got fined a lo and behold we find out about the Rams as well.

No biggie if the Rams pay in 20K and get 1/32 kicked back for their share of league revenues it's considered at the time the fine is levied so where's the objection?
we regularly discuss every little detail about football in this forum, so why question motives now? If you don't know the answer to my question, that's cool.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
interference said:
Thordaddy said:
interference said:
libertadrocks said:
interference said:

A few questions...

Why do you care?

we regularly discuss every little detail about football in this forum, so why question motives now? If you don't know the answer to my question, that's cool.

Well I'd have to think the answer was self evident, the owners doubtless vote on rules that govern one another.
You are correct though I did base MY question upon my overall impression of what your motive for asking might have been.
I have gleened from reading many of your posts that you have a bit of a problem with most things Goodel ,if I was incorrect in my interpretation, my bad.

stan

Rookie
libertadrocks said:
Really???? Your kidding right?

Kenyans are the best marathoners, but it's not because they have diet high in "animal protein". They have very little animal protein in their diet. Meat is a luxury most Kenyans cannot afford. What makes them so good is a combination of culture and genetics.

IDK what in the hell your talking about when you bring up spaghetti-os. I wouldnt ever debate that processed food is better for you than whole foods. I grew up on processed food and as a result ended up obese. I whipped my ass into shape with whole foods and hard work.

If you were to read my previous post, you will notice what I said:
A sports drink is only necessary if your workouts/training/athletic event last for more than 1 hour and is mid to high exertion.

That would preclude baseball, as baseball is not a mid to high exertion sport. If you are preforming at a high exertion level for a prolonged period you need to replace glycogen stores, no mater the temperature. Thats what the simple sugars in gatorade does. Its the potassium and sodium that replaces what you lose from perspiration.

Salt water only provides 1 of the 3 properties necessary for prolonged athletic performance. That, in addition to the fact it taste terrible, is why NO ONE drinks salt water anymore. Science bro.

I read your post. I am a scientist though not in this area. I have followed this closely over the years however. Salt pill doesn't mean just NaCl as KCl is a salt too. Thats potassium chloride for those not up on chemistry. Also the Kenyan marathoners do consume high protein and high quality protein in the form of cows milk and cows blood. They also do not have life long recruiting and a barrage of high science directed at their athletes. Plus they do not suffer from the marketing of high carb crap from corporations deluding the public into thinking carbing up does jack squat especially for strength and endurance. Science and history with current examples of high achievement not following your dogma is what should interest a scientist. Protein is essential wherever endurance and strength are required. No new science regarding that fact as the Kenyans aptly prove.

aside from blood doping which was discovered from noticing that high altitude training increased endurance there really isn't much of interest outside of the latest tweaking of the human endocrine system via BALCOesque types. Certainly genetics is key but only among the very best that don't need the science anyway.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
stan said:
I read your post. I am a scientist though not in this area. I have followed this closely over the years however. Salt pill doesn't mean just NaCl as KCl is a salt too. Thats potassium chloride for those not up on chemistry. Also the Kenyan marathoners do consume high protein and high quality protein in the form of cows milk and cows blood. They also do not have life long recruiting and a barrage of high science directed at their athletes. Plus they do not suffer from the marketing of high carb crap from corporations deluding the public into thinking carbing up does jack squat especially for strength and endurance. Science and history with current examples of high achievement not following your dogma is what should interest a scientist. Protein is essential wherever endurance and strength are required. No new science regarding that fact as the Kenyans aptly prove.

aside from blood doping which was discovered from noticing that high altitude training increased endurance there really isn't much of interest outside of the latest tweaking of the human endocrine system via BALCOesque types. Certainly genetics is key but only among the very best that don't need the science anyway.

Kenyan runners tend to eat a limited variety of foods, and that was certainly the case with these elite athletes. Most of their nutrients came from vegetable sources, and the "staple" edibles were bread, boiled rice, poached potatoes, boiled porridge, cabbage, kidney beans and ugali (a well-cooked, corn-meal paste that's molded into balls and dipped into other foods for flavoring).

Meat (primarily beef) was eaten just four times a week in fairly small amounts (about 100 grams -- 3.5 ounces a day). A fair amount of tea with milk and sugar was imbibed on a daily basis (more on this in a moment).

stan

Rookie
The Kalenjin tribe is where the most champion runners from Kenya hail. Their diet is rich in milk products, particularly mursik with animal blood. Ethiopean runners drink blood product as well. Both achieve champion results without ever drinking gatorade nor using billions of dollars of sports "science". IMO its mainly genetic and training and the human genome studies yielding the marathon gene will be the next big advance across all cultures with the doping with that gene.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Yeah vampires make the best distance runners, but why is that important to SJ's groin he played with ?
If it's going to cost that much , I'd say we need to ask SJ not to do that again.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Thordaddy said:
Well I'd have to think the answer was self evident, the owners doubtless vote on rules that govern one another.
You are correct though I did base MY question upon my overall impression of what your motive for asking might have been.
I have gleened from reading many of your posts that you have a bit of a problem with most things Goodel ,if I was incorrect in my interpretation, my bad.
I'd just like to read the rules for myself. From what I've seen recently, NFL HQ likes to flex its power however it sees fit, whether it is within the rules or not, so I'd like to make up my own mind, about the appropriateness of the fine, after reading what the actual policies are.

stan said:

When we discuss salt, we're talking about many different products. What most American's eat, Iodized Salt, is considered a poison by many. There can be something like 40 or more trace elements & minerals in Salt, but American's pretty much just get SodiumChloride. So, when we talk salt pills, we gotta talk specifics about what's inside them.

See following for more.
http://www.theecologist.org/green_green ... _best.html

As far as Cows Milk & Blood, we gotta also discuss what these Cows are fed. In the USA, they get GMO corn & Soy, which changes the protein makeup of Cow meat, blood & Milk. Additionally, US dairy's kill -off much of the remaining goodness in milk by pasteurizing it, also helping to turn off-the-shelf milk and dairy into a poison. So, while I haven't researched it, my guess is those Kenyan's are getting a much healthier form of protein when consuming meat, milk, blood from grass fed cows, where the grass grows in highly nutrient soil.