Rams finally reunite with fans in SoFi; Open SoFi Practice

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame

Rams finally reunite with fans in SoFi; Sean McVay comments on his new QB, and practice observations​

AP21162093030844-1024x683.jpg

By Jourdan Rodrigue Jun 10, 2021
comment-icon.png
save-icon.png

INGLEWOOD, Calif. — Just 30,000 people viewed Thursday’s Rams practice at year-old SoFi Stadium, an engineering marvel that holds up to 100,000 — but every single one of them mattered.
It was the first time fans were able to gather en masse to watch their team — the first time most had seen the stadium at all. There was an air of delight flowing through the building — something intangible that a sports journalist can’t directly quote as if lifting from a stat sheet, per se, but she damn sure knows it when she feels it.

Sure, reality did hit in some ways, still. Several players got stuck in Los Angeles traffic on their way into the stadium, so the practice started late, for one. And, head coach Sean McVay says his team is still in the process of getting all players vaccinated (and did not specify for privacy reasons), but on at least one occasion they have brought in a doctor to discuss the vaccine with players and even had options for players to get them as recently as Thursday afternoon.

Yet the swells of the crowd, even if for only an hour, and even to watch the Rams players run through light drills, stretching and partial-speed seven-on-sevens, were a joyful thing to hear — and brought back the old memories of packed stadiums, tight games, clashing pads and tide-turning plays. It was something. It mattered. And it was a hell of a lot better than watching through a television screen or glass partition, tucked away from the sights and sounds of this sport that we love to feel in our bones.
And, in a way, the day got Rams players and coaches jump-started back into what things will look and sound like once the season begins (simple variables such as communication volume or finding the scoreboards and time clocks will be so important with fans back in stands across the NFL).

Here are more observations and notes from Thursday night’s practice — the last of the spring before the team breaks for its six-week “offseason”:

McVay walks back quarterback comment

At a Super Bowl Host Committee press conference held before the open practice — one that honored 56 local organizations for their good work in the Los Angeles community and awarded each a $10,000 grant — McVay and quarterback Matthew Stafford took the stage to offer some remarks in a live Q&A setting with host Kevin Frazier.

McVay was asked, “What do you think about your new quarterback?” To which McVay responded in full, “I think I’ve been very happy. Everybody says, ‘Man, you just seem like you’re in a better mood this offseason.’ I said, ‘You’re damn right I am.’
“This guy, he’s a special guy. One of the best ways that I can describe him (is) when you hear from people who have been around him, there’s a known confidence where when he walks into a room, you always feel his presence. But he’s got a great humility about himself. Everybody loves being around him. And he’s one of those guys where I think he’s a true ignitor — he makes everybody around him better. I feel like I’ve become a better coach in the few months we have been able to spend together, and we’re looking forward to doing a lot of good things together.”

The comment flooded across social media because of the added backstory of the trade McVay pushed for in January to get Stafford in the first place — thereby moving former first-round pick Jared Goff to Detroit. At the time of that trade, multiple sources discussed with The Athletic the deterioration of McVay and Goff’s professional relationship — and McVay grew publicly frustrated with Goff on a few occasions during the 2020 season itself.
After Thursday’s practice, McVay opened his press conference by walking back any association of his remarks to Goff and said he believed he had been taken out of context.

“I am very excited — I have been in a good mood because of the confidence I have in this team. But by no means is that a slight to anybody like Jared, who has done a phenomenal job for the last four years here,” he said. “I hated that I even have to address that, but I do think out of respect for him and all of the good things he’s done — I am in a good mood, but that doesn’t mean it’s not because we’re working together, or because of just Stafford exclusively. There’s a lot of good things going on that I feel really good about and I’m confident about.”

Two players who made a consistent impression

Lots of players flash during these limited, lighter workouts, but two up-and-comers have specifically left a strong impression on McVay.
Third-year cornerback David Long moved with impressive speed and intentionality through drills on Thursday night, and has been getting a ton of work at first-team outside cornerback in seven-on-sevens throughout OTAs and minicamp (which I am now able to report, since McVay discussed it publicly). Part of this was due to sheer need, because largely starters Darious Williams and Jalen Ramsey had not been participating in the on-field work (Ramsey did through minicamp). But when his number was called, Long showed up — and McVay has high expectations for him this season.

“I think he’s done a great job,” said McVay. “He’s really done a nice job elevating his game at the outside location. He has been a guy who has some position flexibility inside, but I think he’s done a really nice job of growing. … You’ve seen him tangibly improve throughout the course of this offseason because the one thing that we have done full-speed is a lot of seven-on-seven.
“I’ve been really pleased with David, and he is a guy that we are going to count on — and we’re expecting him to be a big-time contributor for us.”

Long could step into fill the role held by Troy Hill in 2020. Hill, who signed with Cleveland in free agency, was able to move inside and outside as needed in order to help unlock Ramsey’s flexibility in the Star package and on the outside, depending on the matchup.

Meanwhile, tight end Jacob Harris is breathing some rare air for a rookie fourth-rounder — and it’s not just hype and circumstance, according to McVay. Harris has been taking the bulk of first-team tight end reps along with Johnny Mundt in what media is able to watch (again, now able to report this since McVay has since discussed it publicly). Part of this is due to

Tyler Higbee’s absence in live team activities (Higbee is present and undergoing his own programming). But there are a few other tight ends on the roster who have more experience — whom Harris got reps over especially in the last week of work.
“I think he’s just earned it,” said McVay of Harris’ increased role over a rapid period.
“Obviously Tyler is the lead dog … he’s one of the most complete tight ends in this league, and when he’s feeling good, Tyler Higbee can do it all for us. Jacob Harris is a great addition to that room.

“I think he’s a guy that has a tremendous amount of upside. (Tight ends coach) Wes Phillips has done a really nice job of getting him up to speed. His natural range, catch radius, body control for a player of his size is pretty rare. I think you guys can see — for NFL guys to stand out the way that he has done, in some of these limited settings, in shorts and in helmets, he’s definitely made a positive impression.”

Harris has worked pretty exclusively with Phillips through the spring, so that is the indicator he’ll be a “tight end” — which I’ll say with a wink, because McVay made it clear that he’s a player they can move all over the place in the passing game outside of the traditional tight end assignments.

Catch of the day

The best throw and catch of the day came in individual drills, off a tightly wound 40-yarder down the sideline from Stafford to veteran receiver DeSean Jackson — who happened to secure the catch right in front of team owner Stan Kroenke, who attended the day’s events.

Quick notes from the workout

• Receiver and second-round draft pick Tutu Atwell continued to get some work on punt return, as did Trishton Jackson, Landen Akers, J.J. Koski and running back Raymond Calais. Special-teams coordinator Joe DeCamillis worked his way throughout the drills, and his energy was palpable (and audible). Veteran punter Johnny Hekker mentioned that it’s more helpful to have a “live leg” on punt return reps, particularly with the Rams attempting to establish a full-time player in that role; Brandon Wright handled those duties and also pegged in a few kickoffs.

• Harris did drop one ball — after a catch on a quick slant and a little contact that surprised him — but it’s clear that McVay has taken a great interest in the rookie because he immediately went up to him individually and made a ball-security tucking motion with his arm, then patted Harris on the back before moving on through the drills.

• Left tackle Andrew Whitworth was present, though not practicing, so Joe Noteboom naturally took the starting left tackle snaps. Interestingly, during the quarterback/offensive line warmups, Brian Allen moved to right guard on the second team while Coleman Shelton took center snaps. Allen and Shelton are still considered by McVay to be depth at center as the Rams try out former right guard Austin Corbett at center through the summer. Whitworth did get pretty involved all the same, taking extra time to coach up young tackles Chandler Brewer and Max Pircher — the latter of whom joined the Rams via the International Pathways program from Italy.

(Photo of Sean McVay: Marcio Jose Sanchez / Associated Press)

Last edited:

oldnotdead

Legend
Jourdan is a damn fine beat writer. The Rams deserve to be covered by someone who knows the sport and writes so well. Props Jourdan.

I'm glad Harris is getting 1st team reps. I can see him as a legit red zone threat who can play as a TE or Y (slot) receiver.

I'm not surprised at Long's performance. He's feeling more confident and comfortable so he can play faster without thinking his way thru things. CB is one of the hardest positions to play in the NFL because it's so technique-heavy. It's normal for a young CB who came in needing polish to take until year 3 to begin to show what he can do. I had a few talks with Charger CB Quentin Jammer who told me things like how receivers read body positioning to know how to attack you and how to run your routes. So things like body positioning etc are very important. I think Long can be a very good CB.

It sounds like McVay and Carberry haven't firmed up their decision on starting center. Shelton is the mauler of the 3, Allen is the more mobile of the 3. So who starts IMO is largely dependent upon what kind of blocking schemes Carberry is going to employ. This is shaping up to be a very interesting TC in a few weeks.

Whitworth keeps showing why the Rams need to keep him on the staff as an OL assistant coach, he's already doing it.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
That doesn’t sound like McVay walked anything back. That would imply he reversed his stance on something and he did not do that.

Too many snowflakes getting their panties in a bind over something that means nothing.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Too many snowflakes getting their panties in a bind over something that means nothing.
As if McVay should apologize for making a business decision that he is happy about.
If McVay is happy, then he should be allowed to be happy.
I say...........Good for McVay and fuck the rest.
GO Rams!!

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Sadly, some % of people consume fodder like this, enough that there's money in it and that's why talking heads like Florio exist. It's not a new phenomenon at all. It's as old as rumor, gossip and talking shit.

Go read newspapers from the last couple centuries and go all the way back to Roman graffiti and you realize that the public has always been this way.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wish sports journalists would stop being drama queens. I realize that is has gone on forever, but they are literally hanging on every word. The media creates stories where one doesn't even exist, and find sound bytes to try and prove they were correct. That being said, it really was a good article, I just can't stand how they want to dig deeper in the McVay/Goff "relationship". Florio just regergitates what everyone else in his line of work is talking about and tries to put a spin on it.

I realize writing this that I am regergitating what other people have said in this forum and others, but, damn it, I'm not getting paid for it.

Ram65

Legend
Third-year cornerback David Long moved with impressive speed and intentionality through drills on Thursday night, and has been getting a ton of work at first-team outside cornerback in seven-on-sevens throughout OTAs and minicamp (which I am now able to report, since McVay discussed it publicly). Part of this was due to sheer need, because largely starters Darious Williams and Jalen Ramsey had not been participating in the on-field work (Ramsey did through minicamp). But when his number was called, Long showed up — and McVay has high expectations for him this season.

“I think he’s done a great job,” said McVay. “He’s really done a nice job elevating his game at the outside location. He has been a guy who has some position flexibility inside, but I think he’s done a really nice job of growing. … You’ve seen him tangibly improve throughout the course of this offseason because the one thing that we have done full-speed is a lot of seven-on-seven.
“I’ve been really pleased with David, and he is a guy that we are going to count on — and we’re expecting him to be a big-time contributor for us.”

Long could step into fill the role held by Troy Hill in 2020. Hill, who signed with Cleveland in free agency, was able to move inside and outside as needed in order to help unlock Ramsey’s flexibility in the Star package and on the outside, depending on the matchup.
I posted in the Rochell thread that I think Long will get some good PT. Great to see this report. It's a great plan to keep drafting and finding CBs. You can never have enough good CBs. Good luck to ball youngsters.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

So-Fi: Oh My​

I'm a lifelong 49ers fan and a 17-year season ticket holder, let's get that out of the way first. I love attending home games at Levis Stadium in Santa Clara, but it has nothing on the brand new home of the Los Angeles Rams, So-Fi Stadium. Rams and NFL fans alike had a chance to view the stadium after the initial 2020 year for fans was halted by the COVID pandemic. Fans that signed up for the Rams newsletter e-mails as well as connected by social media were alerted about the open practice at the beginning of the month taking place on June 10th, 2021. Even NFL and Rams great Issac Bruce was in the building checking out the new digs.

In an unbiased opinion, Ram's new home is utterly stunning and amazing. Truth be told after you go through the typical horrendous LA traffic to get to a fully loaded lot, you'll think to yourself "This isn't much at all", but the closer you get to the stadium the more you'll be amazed.

It's a fully open stadium, but it had tons of shade and cover from the very persistent LA sun. Everything from the entrance to the surrounding area is stunning. It has waterfalls, it has stairs (tons of stairs leading to everywhere), and it has very relaxing club and suite areas. The only thing noticeable at first glance is that the seats at the very top of the stadium are very steep and give could remind one of a double diamond ski route. The design, architecture, and layout are very well thought out & remind 49ers fans what Levis could have been like.

There were about 30,000 fans attending the first anything at So-Fi Stadium, and the turnout itself was invigorating. Another thing fans will love to watch while attending games is the sophisticated circular video board the encompasses the whole stadium. Whether you're seated in section 140 or 540 there's no problem in viewing the video board.

To be honest, it's quite hard to judge the food supposedly going to be offered during game days, but So-Fi offered fans bagged chips and soda for purchase. If you were looking for some insight as to what might be offered, Arash Markazi gave fans a glimpse not too long ago on social media & it looks tasty.

Good luck trying to get help from the ushers and help around the stadium as most didn't know where any seats were and most often taking out maps or trying to use their tablets for tidbits for information. In all reality, much patience is needed as literally everything is new to employees as well as fans. Everyone working the event was outgoing and provided the very best customer help/service. They still had some Ram's team's classics like the chant, "Who's House, RAMS HOUSE!", which was always a staple at all the gems attended at the old LA Memorial Coliseum.

With appearances by coach Sean McVay, Matthew Stafford, Cooper Kupp, and others, fans were entertained with Rams players going through standard drills. Stafford, Kupp, and McVay all also took the time out to interview for fans viewing pleasure. Matthew Stafford even stayed after the practice to sign items for fans as he was heading back into the tunnels

The Rams have a very fan-friendly team store that contains anything you could imagine & what seems like every rams player jersey in every size, color, and type (replica, authentic, etc). The only thing not too fan-friendly is the prices for some apparel, while the mark-up isn't egregious it's still there. For a replica jersey that costs $120 the team store at So-Fi has priced at $130, and there weren't any sale racks insight if you were looking for any.

The main takeaway from attending the open practice other than the stadium is amazing, is that fans will have a good time regardless of the outcome. Stanley Kroenke and Les Snead did a great job in following through with their promise to bring a state-of-the-art stadium to LA. Don't be alarmed by the area it's in either as Inglewood isn't like it was 30 years ago. I do implore all that attend any game, get there early as the hardest part of your day will be just getting there. From there on out it's heavenly which is quite fitting for LA & its fans. It quite possibly could be the best stadium in California. You must go!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Traffic was a 'major, major issue' for Rams players and fans at SoFi Stadium practice​

The Los Angeles Rams were thrilled to welcome fans to SoFi Stadium on Thursday night for their final practice of minicamp, packing about 30,000 supporters in the stands for what’s been the stadium’s biggest crowd ever.

However, it didn’t go off without a hitch.

As is the case with just about any large event in Los Angeles, traffic caused some problems. The practice was supposed to start at 4 p.m. PT but it was pushed back an hour because players were stuck in traffic.

Sean McVay was asked if traffic was an issue and his answer was very clear.

“Yes, it was. It was a major issue,” he said. “Guys that left at 2:45 did not get here until a little past 5, so that was the reason we bumped it back. Feel terrible but I am appreciative of our guys. Man, it’s good to be back in person but not good to have this damn traffic. But yes, that was a major, major issue and that was the reason we had to bump everything back an hour and why I trimmed off the last 30 minutes of practice.”

It’s bad enough that fans have to sit in traffic to get to the stadium, but having players take more than two hours to arrive is borderline unacceptable. The Rams can’t have that happen on game days when players are on a tight schedule.

Here are some of the responses to the traffic from fans on social media.

As frustrating as the traffic was, McVay did say the presence of fans in the stadium was outstanding and it reminded him of just how big a part they play on Sundays. For that reason, he can’t wait to see SoFi Stadium packed in Week 1 when the Rams take on the Bears.

“It’s even better,” he said. “I just think you’re reminded of the energy and atmosphere that’s created by the fans. To have 30,000, 35,000, whatever it was out here today, I said to a handful of our players and coaches, ‘Can you imagine how rockin’ this thing is going to be on Sunday Night Football when we open up against the Bears?’ That has me excited.”

Hopefully by September, they can solve the traffic issues, with the Rams’ two preseason games being additional trial runs before Week 1.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Thought I remembered reading that the metro rail was extended to the stadium or near it. That would be the preferred way to get there on game day if I were attending.

LA has reached that point with traffic that I'd prefer the rail to go anywhere it could get me in fact. The gridlock is brutal. Every time I visit I want to pull my damn hair out, few things more irritating than traffic.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Thought I remembered reading that the metro rail was extended to the stadium or near it. That would be the preferred way to get there on game day if I were attending.

LA has reached that point with traffic that I'd prefer the rail to go anywhere it could get me in fact. The gridlock is brutal. Every time I visit I want to pull my damn hair out, few things more irritating than traffic.

Toronto has horrible traffic… good golly... the 401 when it is snowing… there is a TV show about that damn highway. You need to be a master driver and I’m not kidding. Its intense.

I‘ve used the train many times for the exact reason you mention.

I imagine solutions to LA’s traffic for game day are bigger than simply the stadium area. But yeah, I wonder if there are plans like that still finishing as part of the stadium plans?

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Toronto has horrible traffic… good golly... the 401 when it is snowing… there is a TV show about that damn highway. You need to be a master driver and I’m not kidding. Its intense.

I‘ve used the train many times for the exact reason you mention.

I imagine solutions to LA’s traffic for game day are bigger than simply the stadium area. But yeah, I wonder if there are plans like that still finishing as part of the stadium plans?
I drive semi and go to Canada nearly everyday for work. The 401 is brutal. Especially when you have to change lanes or attempt to get get off the highway. The 427 can be just as bad sometimes too. Not to mention, Canadian drivers are fucking insane. I see at least 1-2 accidents everyday on the QEW.

dpjax

Starter
Camp Reporter

Traffic was a 'major, major issue' for Rams players and fans at SoFi Stadium practice​

The Los Angeles Rams were thrilled to welcome fans to SoFi Stadium on Thursday night for their final practice of minicamp, packing about 30,000 supporters in the stands for what’s been the stadium’s biggest crowd ever.

However, it didn’t go off without a hitch.

As is the case with just about any large event in Los Angeles, traffic caused some problems. The practice was supposed to start at 4 p.m. PT but it was pushed back an hour because players were stuck in traffic.

Sean McVay was asked if traffic was an issue and his answer was very clear.

“Yes, it was. It was a major issue,” he said. “Guys that left at 2:45 did not get here until a little past 5, so that was the reason we bumped it back. Feel terrible but I am appreciative of our guys. Man, it’s good to be back in person but not good to have this damn traffic. But yes, that was a major, major issue and that was the reason we had to bump everything back an hour and why I trimmed off the last 30 minutes of practice.”

It’s bad enough that fans have to sit in traffic to get to the stadium, but having players take more than two hours to arrive is borderline unacceptable. The Rams can’t have that happen on game days when players are on a tight schedule.

Here are some of the responses to the traffic from fans on social media.

As frustrating as the traffic was, McVay did say the presence of fans in the stadium was outstanding and it reminded him of just how big a part they play on Sundays. For that reason, he can’t wait to see SoFi Stadium packed in Week 1 when the Rams take on the Bears.

“It’s even better,” he said. “I just think you’re reminded of the energy and atmosphere that’s created by the fans. To have 30,000, 35,000, whatever it was out here today, I said to a handful of our players and coaches, ‘Can you imagine how rockin’ this thing is going to be on Sunday Night Football when we open up against the Bears?’ That has me excited.”

Hopefully by September, they can solve the traffic issues, with the Rams’ two preseason games being additional trial runs before Week 1.
The problem is a lot of players are coming from Calabasas and Thousand Oaks, so not only do they have to contend with the 405 and everyone heading to the airport, they also have to deal with the 101, which is a beast in itself, to get to the 405. The only way to solve the issue of having to leave 2 hours early would be to use helicopters. But we all know how that can turn out.

oldnotdead

Legend
The Rams will have to helo their players in to make sure they get there on time. LOL Or realistically, I think they will bus them in so everyone gets there at the same time. Either the whole team is there or no one is. I lived in Santa Monica and I avoided the South Bay Curve of the 405 almost the whole time. It was a different place back then but the traffic is the one constant in LA.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Rams will have to helo their players in to make sure they get there on time. LOL Or realistically, I think they will bus them in so everyone gets there at the same time. Either the whole team is there or no one is. I lived in Santa Monica and I avoided the South Bay Curve of the 405 almost the whole time. It was a different place back then but the traffic is the one constant in LA.
Hey, can you help me out on a good way or best way to get to SOFI from Santa Monica or how you're going to do it? My L.A Coliseum game plan for attending was (1) drive to Santa Monica from Oxnard on PCH. Park at the Santa Monica Courthouse parking lot for $5.00 and then take the metro. It was awesome for years. I need a new plan to take the metro and get to SOFI. What do you recommend?

oldnotdead

Legend
Sorry brother but I haven't lived in Santa Monica for years. I used to drive PCH every damn day, I loved it so much. Your plan sounds good sorry you can't use it now. I don't know where the metro stations are so I'm sorry I can't help you. If I still lived in Santa Monica I'd ride my bicycle if they have racks! LOL I used to ride from the SM pier to Redondo pier every weekend.