Rams Fall To Last In Total Offense/ 2 Fisher Tweets @jthom1

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
JT has a couple Tweets of Coach Fishers comments. All this after the stats show us last in the league in Offense. I think we have gotten worse per game actually by the numbers. Lets be honest. The three teams we have played are in the Top (4) in the League against the rush. Is that a coincidence? Or did our stats place them in their spots?
(1)
@jthom1: He says offensive line is improving. Says Todd Gurley was close to gaining 50-60 yards on his 6 carries w/a block here, a block there.

ME: Did anyone here have this same feeling? No freakin way. In his dreams.

This Means our best RB Cunningham will continue to miss reps as many think right now he is our best RB until OL gets better. Game one proved this yards wise. Free Benny. The stretch plays are not having the needed results with Tre' Mason.Why did we draft slow footed power Maulers and are running Zone blocking schemes that need more athletic OL to run and our guys are too slow to get this done. Why would Coach Paul even allow this?

(2)
@jthom1: Unbowed by 12-6 loss to Pittsburgh, and running game woes, Fisher says Rams just a few plays away from being 3-0.

ME: Of course just as we Could be 3-0, we could also be 0-3 just as easy.

(3)
Long's comment about being one week removed from beating Seattle, after last week's loss to Washington, and this weeks comment from Foles about 1-2 not being the end of the world, plus this comment... easy to see the culture of losing is firmly embedded in this team.. yikes isn't just a term for Zac Stacy...

(4)
(Closest information I could find on the Brian Quick Mystery)
It's just all hearsay - but my understanding is the injury may be prohibiting him from running at full speed due to the torque associated on the shoulder with the arm movements. It's exacerbated when going in/out of cuts.

I would think that Fisher/Rams would be in trouble with the league if this comes to light and he has to retire, given he hasn't appeared on the injury report. Although the argument could be that he is no longer "injured" but that he's recovered to a certain point, and will recover no further - leaving him unable to play football." The plot thickens and this post on a private Rams board is the most respectable source I could find. Not PD junk. One source just deleted his post that said we won't see Quick till after the bye if ever and gave it a 100% source then deleted his own post.

What would you reccomend to improve our offense? Just wait till our OL improves or do you have some ideas?

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
I don't think we can do all that much to improve the offense, to be honest, as the problem is the personnel. We simply don't have the horses on the offensive line to create holes for the running game. And when your team is built to run..... that's a recipe for a disaster of a season.

But the following should at least provide a bit of help:

Harkey needs to take snaps from Cook and Kendricks. His hands are just as good as theirs. And if the o-line can't run block it's time to give them some help from the TEs. I'm honestly starting to contemplating putting Harkey in at starting TE and just using Cook as WR. Cook's his inability to block won't be felt as much at WR, and his speed and size can still be utilized as a mismatch.

Assuming he's actually healthy and able to play at a high level, insert Quick. He's arguably our best WR. But just as importantly, he's our best blocking WR.

More targets for Tavon, like we've all been saying for years. The light bulb finally seems to have came on for him. He look dangerous every time he touches the ball now, instead of just in flashes. FEED HIM.

Feed Gurley and let him get into a rhythm. Unlike the others on this list, I'm pretty sure the coaching staff will actually do this, and it will just come with time as Gurley works his way back from the ACL injury. The Steelers defense really keyed on Gurley every time he was in the game. With him and Austin on the field at the same time, it could open up quite a few looks.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
JT has a couple Tweets of Coach Fishers comments. All this after the stats show us last in the league in Offense. I think we have gotten worse per game actually by the numbers. Lets be honest. The three teams we have played are in the Top (4) in the League against the rush. Is that a coincidence? Or did our stats place them in their spots?
(1)
@jthom1: He says offensive line is improving. Says Todd Gurley was close to gaining 50-60 yards on his 6 carries w/a block here, a block there.

ME: Did anyone here have this same feeling? No freakin way. In his dreams.

This Means our best RB Cunningham will continue to miss reps as many think right now he is our best RB until OL gets better. Game one proved this yards wise. Free Benny. The stretch plays are not having the needed results with Tre' Mason.Why did we draft slow footed power Maulers and are running Zone blocking schemes that need more athletic OL to run and our guys are too slow to get this done. Why would Coach Paul even allow this?

(2)
@jthom1: Unbowed by 12-6 loss to Pittsburgh, and running game woes, Fisher says Rams just a few plays away from being 3-0.

ME: Of course just as we Could be 3-0, we could also be 0-3 just as easy.

(3)
Long's comment about being one week removed from beating Seattle, after last week's loss to Washington, and this weeks comment from Foles about 1-2 not being the end of the world, plus this comment... easy to see the culture of losing is firmly embedded in this team.. yikes isn't just a term for Zac Stacy...

(4)
(Closest information I could find on the Brian Quick Mystery)
It's just all hearsay - but my understanding is the injury may be prohibiting him from running at full speed due to the torque associated on the shoulder with the arm movements. It's exacerbated when going in/out of cuts.

I would think that Fisher/Rams would be in trouble with the league if this comes to light and he has to retire, given he hasn't appeared on the injury report. Although the argument could be that he is no longer "injured" but that he's recovered to a certain point, and will recover no further - leaving him unable to play football." The plot thickens and this post on a private Rams board is the most respectable source I could find. Not PD junk. One source just deleted his post that said we won't see Quick till after the bye if ever and gave it a 100% source then deleted his own post.

What would you reccomend to improve our offense? Just wait till our OL improves or do you have some ideas?
Just in regards to Gurley, on one play to the right side, if we made one more block, or a better block, he had a lane, the sideline, and one player to beat for a long TD. I saw this on the re-watch last night.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Just in regards to Gurley, on one play to the right side, if we made one more block, or a better block, he had a lane, the sideline, and one player to beat for a long TD. I saw this on the re-watch last night.

This is why I want to see him get 20-25 carries. IMO just a matter of time before he breaks one.

Psycho_X

Legend
Really most teams can say that about every single game every single week... "If we only had one more block that RB would have gone far.".... "If only that DB fell down our WR would have had a touchdown" ... "if only Kendricks could catch well thrown balls we may have won the game"

This is the NFL, winning and losing is often inches away or one player doing their job or beating their man better than what they did. Time to get your team on the winning side of more plays than the other side of the ball Fisher and less with the woulda, coulda, shoulda talk.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think it comes down to the running game. If the Rams don't run it well vs the Cards, they're gonna be in third and long all day with a howling crowd frustrating their young OL behind a vicious front seven. Cigs has to give them an opportunity and establish it, to fire off on that Cards front.

Cards are smart, disciplined, and tough on defense. But one thing you cannot coach is power. The Rams OL has that raw power and IMO it is our best chance at victory. If they can come out and overpower them, blow them off the ball a bit, then the entire complexion of that game changes and they will have a chance.

Rainram

Starter
Yup.

And there was a run left, where a defender (LBer or DB) kinda up-ended him. If he gets passed that...there was some daylight.

Would live for someone to compile all of his runs into some gifs. Or maybe some All-22 footage. It shouldn't be too much work as he only touched the ball a handful of times. I'd do it if I knew how.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Really most teams can say that about every single game every single week... "If we only had one more block that RB would have gone far.".... "If only that DB fell down our WR would have had a touchdown" ... "if only Kendricks could catch well thrown balls we may have won the game"

This is the NFL, winning and losing is often inches away or one player doing their job or beating their man better than what they did. Time to get your team on the winning side of more plays than the other side of the ball Fisher and less with the woulda, coulda, shoulda talk.

Very true Psycho. But every team cannot say they have a back with Gurley's talent. Cannot agree with denver enough on him getting 20+ carries.

Hey Man

Starter
Name
Hey Man
I am sorry, but I just don't understand this whole situation with this offense. He put so much into this defense, defensive coordinator ( top notch ) top 10 defense, offensive coordinator 1st time in the position, last in NFL, WTF ! i just feel like screaming at the lack of interest on his part the way it seems. I just don't get it. I hate to say it but look at what Arians has done in 3 years with no were near the draft picks we have, he is a defensive guy too. I just don't get the lack of ergency.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau

Some people just choose to look at possible signs of life, and of what could be. Call it hope. And some would rather just focus on negative things.

It's naive to think that anyone here doesn't want to win, doesn't want to be better. Every one of us wants that.

We are all different, and root for our team in different ways.

Last edited:

Rainram

Starter
I think it comes down to the running game. If the Rams don't run it well vs the Cards, they're gonna be in third and long all day with a howling crowd frustrating their young OL behind a vicious front seven. Cigs has to give them an opportunity and establish it, to fire off on that Cards front.

Cards are smart, disciplined, and tough on defense. But one thing you cannot coach is power. The Rams OL has that raw power and IMO it is our best chance at victory. If they can come out and overpower them, blow them off the ball a bit, then the entire complexion of that game changes and they will have a chance.
As far as 3-4 teams go, they scare me less than either Washington or Pittsburgh. They don't exactly have a ton of beef in the middle. 2 Rookie NTs. Does Frostie Rucker worry anyone? They have Calais Campbell, a couple good LBers, and a good secondary. They've had big leads on some very bad teams so far, and then they get to trot out there good nickel and dime packages against teams they know are throwing, with mistake prone QBs (Cutler/Clausen/Kaepernick). Even with heavy leads, they have only 6 sacks, so they don't generate a ton of pressure. If we don't make mistakes (!!!!!!!) and our Defense does its thing, this is a very winnable game. Very winnable. But we definitely need to run it on them!

Rainram

Starter
I am sorry, but I just don't understand this whole situation with this offense. He put so much into this defense, defensive coordinator ( top notch ) top 10 defense, offensive coordinator 1st time in the position, last in NFL, WTF ! i just feel like screaming at the lack of interest on his part the way it seems. I just don't get it. I hate to say it but look at what Arians has done in 3 years with no were near the draft picks we have, he is a defensive guy too. I just don't get the lack of ergency.
Minor correction. Arians is very much an Offensive guy. And he's good at it. He's got experience coaching a variety of positions as well as being an OC in Steeler-town before his current gig. He gets that offense ready on game day.

Hey Man

Starter
Name
Hey Man
Minor correction. Arians is very much an Offensive guy. And he's good at it. He's got experience coaching a variety of positions as well as being an OC in Steeler-town before his current gig. He gets that offense ready on game day.
My bad your right.