Rams @ Falcons: Shane's Sunday 7 For a St Louis Win 101ESPN

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ShaneG

Starter
Shane Gray provides special Rams commentaries on 101sports.com. Follow him on Twitter @ShaneGmoSTLRams.

1. Win the Turnover Battle

This sounds like a boring key to winning, but NFL statistics going back to 1978 bear out the vital importance of coming out on top in regard to the aforementioned category.

Teams finishing games plus-one in the turnover battle win 67 percent of the time. Teams with a plus-two turnover differential attain victories in nearly 82 percent of contests. Finally, teams that manage to finish plus-three topple their opponents in nearly 89 percent of matchups.

Simply put, if the St. Louis Rams are to optimize their opportunity to win and improve to 2-0 on the season, they need to succeed in triumphing in the turnover department at Atlanta.

Coming out ahead in regard to turnovers is certainly always important and helpful. However, it is even more crucial in games against a stout competitor like the Atlanta Falcons, particularly when playing on the road.

This week, the Rams will have to be particularly careful to protect the football. As St. Louis offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer emphasized this week, Atlanta is particularly adept at forcing fumbles and/or incomplete passes.

“They do a great job with trying to strip the ball out,” Schottenheimer said.

2. Pressure Matt Ryan

When facing an air attack that boasts the likes of Julio Jones, Roddy White, Harry Douglas, Tony Gonzalez and Steven Jackson – a quintet featuring perhaps as many as three to four future Hall of Famers – the best-case scenario is in keeping the ball out of their uber-talented hands.

Thus, St. Louis’ best bet is to maintain consistent pressure on quarterback Matt Ryan and to make it difficult to step up into the pocket, get the ball out accurately or get the ball out at all on longer developing plays.

“We’re going to have to find a way to get to Matt whenever possible, but it’s easier said than done,” head coach Jeff Fisher said earlier this week.

A week ago, a suspect New Orleans defense was able to sack Ryan three times and accumulate six quarterback hits. If the Saints could attain those numbers,

(Hope each of you enjoy the full column below. Thanks for reading):

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.101sports.com/2013/09/15/rams-falcons-shanes-sunday-seven-st-louis-win/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.101sports.com/2013/09/15/ram ... louis-win/</a>

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Re: Rams @ Falcons: Shane's Sunday 7 For a St Louis Win 101E

Great read as always, Shane.

Put me in the "frustrated" group with the off-coverage. But; Fisher knows more about this than I do. I can see why, however, it opens up opportunity to be more aggressive.

I hadn't really put "time of possession" as one of my keys to this game... but I see why why you did. I want to see a better running game this week. We need to show that we have a plan post-SJ.

ShaneG

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

CGI_Ram said:
Great read as always, Shane.

Put me in the "frustrated" group with the off-coverage. But; Fisher knows more about this than I do. I can see why, however, it opens up opportunity to be more aggressive.

I hadn't really put "time of possession" as one of my keys to this game... but I see why why you did. I want to see a better running game this week. We need to show that we have a plan post-SJ.

Thanks my friend...

Yes, I feel TOP is pretty important in a game like this against a potent offense and one who should be able to run it and play some keep away between their air and ground game if they get much of a lead.

Guy Mansworth

Rookie

It's kinda funny. All I heard from opposing teams over the past couple of years is "contain SJ39 and you can win." I never thought he was all that great, kinda mediocre honestly.
...Now I'm kinda terrified to play against him.

ShaneG

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Guy Mansworth said:
It's kinda funny. All I heard from opposing teams over the past couple of years is "contain SJ39 and you can win." I never thought he was all that great, kinda mediocre honestly.
...Now I'm kinda terrified to play against him.

Thanks for sharing that perspective, GM.