Rams Face Potential Issues Hiring an OC/Stalter

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
It certainly is not only determined by W/L record, if that is the only criteria i tis short sighted and no one will ever be good enough. Fisher keeps his job next year regardless of record. If a coach loses the team. If he can't win with good talent. If he has philosophical differences with the owner. Then it is time to make a move

Ok, now I know where you stand. I disagree completely, but neither of us will change the others opinion so just agree to disagree. Besides, and I apologize to the thread maker, this has diverted off topic.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
The last couple of years we passed mu here than ran.
It seems this was written on Fisher's reputation, not his current body of work.
Even in Fisher's best years as HC, his offense was pretty equally split between run and pass. In fact it's pretty consistent with all his teams before Schotty. I used to think we passed so much because we were playing from behind but when I broke down most of the games this year, more often than not, we came out passing. That kind of offense certainly doesn't seem to mesh with Fish's MO.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I am not sure but does any team run more than they pass in this league right now? Having a good running game is one thing but keeping pace with good passing offenses is another.

I actually think the Rams tried to run first the few times they had a lead. We saw it often in the second half. They come out running and have no success because the opposing team new it and stopped it due to a porous Oline. But focusing too much on the run doesn't add up to enough points. We saw that with the GSOT. Opponents couldn't score with them, unless they had a great defense. Now that the Rams defense is starting to shape up (and if they fix the Oline) maybe we start to see more running.

I thought that would have been the case too. But you can go on www.pro-football-reference.com and scroll down to their play by play section of each game and see that it's not really the case - at least last season which was the only one I checked.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I always hate how articles like this imply that "run first" is some kind of 4-letter word that automatically means boring or limited somehow. A power running game and creativity do not have to be mutually exclusive.

Well said, bot. Both creativity and good coaching come into play in the running game, from predicting what defenses will do and being a step ahead of them schematically, to ensuring your players are coached up and prepared to see it live and fast in-game.

Hopefully Fish will bring someone in who can demonstrate that point just like Williams has on defense.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Even in Fisher's best years as HC, his offense was pretty equally split between run and pass. In fact it's pretty consistent with all his teams before Schotty. I used to think we passed so much because we were playing from behind but when I broke down most of the games this year, more often than not, we came out passing. That kind of offense certainly doesn't seem to mesh with Fish's MO.
Yeah.
I thought we would be very run heavy when we lost Sam. Fish and Shott still came out firing.

Even last year, we were very pass heavy in the red zone. Of course that was with Sam

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Sure we had some questionable play calls during Schottey's tenure ... but really.... who doesn't?? Even the Great Mike Martz called some head scratching plays at times. But I still contend that the problem with our offense stems from poor Offensive Line play and instability across the board on the OL . It ALL starts up front. We fix the OL .. the offense will be better. I don't care who is calling the plays. Look how much better the Cowboys offense was this year with basically only adding pcs. to the OL.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
definitely. even with the wrecked line they still didn't try enough this year IMO. why didn't they get mason bouncing to the outside more. when he did get chances it was pretty effective. but all I saw was inside runs with crap linemen for blockers maybe I just have no idea what I'm talking about but w/e. made zero sense. another reason I'm glad Schotty is gone.

I am glad he is gone too. I cannot imagine that Fisher thought repeated the same runs that were not working was a good idea. But who knows. I am ready for some fresh thinking. Probably wont get it though. Boras will be hired and it will be more of the same. Hope not.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I am glad he is gone too. I cannot imagine that Fisher thought repeated the same runs that were not working was a good idea. But who knows. I am ready for some fresh thinking. Probably wont get it though. Boras will be hired and it will be more of the same. Hope not.
Not sure why Boras would be the same as Schotty. I don't really know for sure but I have a hard time thinking Boras wasn't back there thinking, "We should have done this instead."

I don't think we can look at our offense and pin it on Fisher's supposed MO. Blame it on Schotty or don't. A lot of things can change even from within the philosophy of the head coach's scheme preferences.

Boras may very well have some fresh ideas.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Alright. All those who actually know what Kroenke thinks, raise your hand.

I thought so.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I think Schotty's offense had a lot of checks from run to pass when 8 men were in the box or there were single coverage looks. And 8 men were in the box a lot with our team this year and last.

Now one could argue that we should have had plays that didn't have those checks but I'm not sure it was all about Schotty calling pass quite as much as some people think.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Not sure why Boras would be the same as Schotty. I don't really know for sure but I have a hard time thinking Boras wasn't back there thinking, "We should have done this instead."

I don't think we can look at our offense and pin it on Fisher's supposed MO. Blame it on Schotty or don't. A lot of things can change even from within the philosophy of the head coach's scheme preferences.

Boras may very well have some fresh ideas.

If h s the new OC then I hope he does have some fresh ideas. I fear he will be more of the same. But you are right. Just because he was under Schottenheimer doesn't mean he is the same person.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
They have been the model of consistent winning. The question would be how many years of subpar play (regardless of circumstances) would they go until they made a coaching changes. Since they haven't been faced with it we do not know what they would do. ..that is why the comparison can't be made.

Do you think if Tomlin had 4 nonwinning seasons they would stick with him?

How many seasons do you stick with JF, what record does he need next year to keep his job for you, or does he keep it no matter what if it was you?

I am not amoung those that want him fired currently, but I do believe next year is a major determinant if he should be kept. This came up because the idea of extending Fishs' contract was raised....would you do that at this point?

Kroenke is using a model not an identical copy. The latter is impossible to create. You are taking it way too literally.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Ok, now I know where you stand. I disagree completely, but neither of us will change the others opinion so just agree to disagree. Besides, and I apologize to the thread maker, this has diverted off topic.

Plainly said and the last time I reply since you avoid answering me anyways. Jeff Fisher has had to complete overall the infrastructure of the organization from the ground up.
Most coaches atleast have a decent infrastructure in place when taking over or atleast something to work with. Instead Fisher takes over a team in complete shambles and fans expect playoffs immediately.

He's brought in a lot of youth and kept his wins around 8-8 as the youth matures mistakes clean up depth sets in the team will improve.

So unlucky snaps have happened in fishers tenure all Bradford. Please name a coach whose had to take over a team fully rebuild it while playing his 2nd or 3rd team QB for 2/3s of his tenure thst has a better record the Fisher has.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
Plainly said and the last time I reply since you avoid answering me anyways. Jeff Fisher has had to complete overall the infrastructure of the organization from the ground up.
Most coaches atleast have a decent infrastructure in place when taking over or atleast something to work with. Instead Fisher takes over a team in complete shambles and fans expect playoffs immediately.

He's brought in a lot of youth and kept his wins around 8-8 as the youth matures mistakes clean up depth sets in the team will improve.

So unlucky snaps have happened in fishers tenure all Bradford. Please name a coach whose had to take over a team fully rebuild it while playing his 2nd or 3rd team QB for 2/3s of his tenure thst has a better record the Fisher has.

not avoiding you any more than you are me...nice try at the dig btw. Had to do a lot of research, no one talks about coaches with subpar records (lets be clear Fish ain't close to .500 here, he is 8 games under) and their QB situation. But if you need an example....Bud Grant. BTW it hasn't been 2/3rd of his tenure it has been 53% of his games....but as you already stated numbers aren't something you concern yourself with.....

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
not avoiding you any more than you are me...nice try at the dig btw. Had to do a lot of research, no one talks about coaches with subpar records (lets be clear Fish ain't close to .500 here, he is 8 games under) and their QB situation. But if you need an example....Bud Grant. BTW it hasn't been 2/3rd of his tenure it has been 53% of his games....but as you already stated numbers aren't something you concern yourself with.....

Are you pulling names out of nowhere You give me bud grant as a sub part coach?

158–96–5 (NFL regular season)
10–12 (NFL playoffs

I never once said numbers don't matter. All I have said is Fisher has had more to overcome then any coach I can remember and deserves more credit then your giving him.

Any coach thst takes over if Fisher leaves would owe him a big thank you.

Back to your bud grant reference the only validity to it was bud stepped down from vikings team got ran into the ground bud came back hit 7-9 and left after the season so no real validity tied to fishers scenario

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
Are you pulling names out of nowhere You give me bud grant as a sub part coach?

158–96–5 (NFL regular season)
10–12 (NFL playoffs

I never once said numbers don't matter. All I have said is Fisher has had more to overcome then any coach I can remember and deserves more credit then your giving him.

Any coach thst takes over if Fisher leaves would owe him a big thank you.

Back to your bud grant reference the only validity to it was bud stepped down from vikings team got ran into the ground bud came back hit 7-9 and left after the season so no real validity tied to fishers scenario

Sorry my bad, I grabbed the wrong Vikings coach I meant Jerry Burns (the coach after Buds second term there).
Jerry rebuilt and only had his starting QB for 24 of the next 48 games (one more than bradford over same period).
Jerry hada record of 28-19 during that period.