Rams Face Potential Issues Hiring an OC/Stalter

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams Face Potential Issues Hiring Offensive Coordinator
By Anthony Stalter

http://www.101sports.com/2015/01/13/rams-face-potential-issues-hiring-offensive-coordinator/

Rams fans rejoiced when they heard the announcement last week that Brian Schottenheimer had been hired to become the next offensive coordinator at the University of Georgia. For the past three years, fans have complained about Schottenheimer’s play-calling so their reaction to the news was entirely predictable.

But while most fans would take a headset duct-taped to a construction cone as long as Schottenheimer isn’t calling the plays, the Rams face some potential issues when it comes to finding their next offensive coordinator. For starters, the Bears, Jets, Falcons, 49ers, Browns, Raiders and Jaguars all need new offensive coordinators as well. Thus, it’s unlikely that the Rams will have their pick of the litter and they don’t exactly offer the most stable situation, either.

As of this writing, the Bears, Jets, Falcons, 49ers and Raiders don’t even have head coaches, but once a coach is hired, there will at least be some level of commitment towards their new coordinators. Granted, Kyle Shanahan (more on him in a moment) only lasted one year with Mike Pettine in Cleveland, but the Browns aren’t exactly a beacon of stability themselves. Plus, ESPN reported Shanahan left the Browns because the sides did not see eye to eye on Johnny Manziel. In short, Shanahan felt the decision to start “Johnny Football” was forced on the coaching staff, so that situation had some extenuating circumstances. Most coordinators and head coaches are tied to the hip for at least a few seasons.

Speaking of Shanahan, whom the Rams reportedly have interest in, why step into the middle of the Jeff Fisher era in St. Louis as opposed to latching on with a new head coach starting fresh in another city? Plus, are the Rams even going to be in St. Louis two years from now? For someone like Shanahan, who was in Cleveland last season and D.C. two years ago, do you want to move to a city that might only be your home for a year? Do you want your future to be unsettled once again?

Provided they ever find a long-term solution at quarterback (which is another potential hurdle when it comes to luring free agent OCs to St. Louis), Shanahan or Rob Chudzinski would be solid hires for the Rams. This team is on the rise thanks to the jobs Fisher, Les Snead and Gregg Williams have done building the defense and the cupboard isn’t completely bare on offense. But is St. Louis as attractive as it could be given the uncertainty surrounding the franchise’s future?
jeff fisher-4

Fisher’s run-first offense might make Boras the best O.C. option.

That’s why the longer the Rams wait to find their next offensive coordinator, the more I’m inclined to believe that current tight ends coach Rob Boras will be the guy. As ESPN’s Nick Wagoner wrote recently, the Rams were all but certain to promote Boras to coordinator last year had Vanderbilt hired Schottenheimer to be its next head coach. Boras might not be the hire that fans want or hope for, but he also might make the most sense given the situation.

Plus, it’s highly unlikely that Fisher’s run-first philosophy is going anywhere. So while hiring a new face like Shanahan or Chudzinski would be intriguing, it’s also doubtful Fisher strays too far from the approach that he believes in. (We could debate whether or not that approach would win in the playoffs but the discussion would be moot.) Thus, Boras might make sense from that standpoint as well.

As previously noted, the reaction to last week’s Schottenheimer news was predictable. The situation the Rams find themselves in is anything but.

The true intrigue comes next, where the Rams will do their due diligence on offensive coordinators that will have much more to consider than which quarterback they’ll be working with in 2015.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
They better "run first" to where ever they have to go to get a new O line or nothing is going to work for the new OC!

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
The last couple of years we passed mu here than ran.
It seems this was written on Fisher's reputation, not his current body of work.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
I think the Rams are a very attractive place for a OC. The Rams will now concentrate on the OL and QB, but Bradford will be back and with a good OL the offense should be primed for a great OC.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
But while most fans would take a headset duct-taped to a construction cone as long as Schottenheimer isn’t calling the plays
One thing that occurs to me with that turn of phrase... there were certain Rams fans who said much the same about Martz as coach... and then we got Linehan.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
Fisher’s run-first offense might make Boras the best O.C. option.

Maybe he was a run first coach with the Titans but with the Rams it's been pass first. This last year the Rams had their greatest pass to run ration yet with 515 pass attempts to 395 runs. Hard to believe that considering the QB situation and the emergence of Mason.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Yes: the construction cone is an upgrade.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Stalter trying to say the potential move to L.A. Is a factor working against St. Louis is ludicrous. These coordinators move all the time.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
Him suggesting Chud... Everyone here talking Chud... Us not making a hire, maybe waiting on Chud???! Let the positive flow and universe forces align and get this guy in a Rams headset!!!

CeeDub

UDFA
Name
LUVDARAMS
I would love to have Chud as our next OC even if it is only for a few years, they could hire QB coach who could be groomed for the job to replace him if he left, maybe someone like former OK Sooner OC Josh Huepel who was recently fired, saw that Bradford called him at his lowest moment after second ACL, so Sam still respects and listens to Josh, Sam had his best success under his guidance.

Another coach I came across while scanning coaching staffs of remaining playoff teams that Fisher might have his eyes on would be Clyde Christensen the QB coach for the Colts. He was OC under Caldwell back in 2010 & 2011 so Fisher coached against him when he was coach of Titans so he would know his capabilities. His offense was ranked 4th in 2010 but not sure if that was due to Peyton Manning being so good but he was calling the plays so he had to have some part to the success, he had crappy QB's in 2011 so that was lame duck year, also Polian had done crappy job with the roster so he didn't have much to work with. The thing I find most appealing about this guy is he knows how to develop QB talent and he has worked with two of the best QB's who will have ever played this game in Manning and Luck. I really believe we will draft a QB in the upcoming draft and we will need an OC with proven track record of developing young QB's. I believe Bradford could have his best year under Christensen. Also, he runs a vertical passing offense like Shotty ran from Air Coryell roots so we could keep a majority of the same terminology so as to not stunt the growth of the young kids.

Let me know what you think?

Alan

Legend
Anthony Stalter with this piece of wisdom:
Plus, ESPN reported Shanahan left the Browns because the sides did not see eye to eye on Johnny Manziel. In short, Shanahan felt the decision to start “Johnny Football” was forced on the coaching staff, so that situation had some extenuating circumstances.
Exactly the situation I was talking about vis a vis Boudreau and Fisher when it comes to starting Wells and Joseph instead of Person and Barnes. Or maybe it was the egg or the chicken thing.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
Stalter trying to say the potential move to L.A. Is a factor working against St. Louis is ludicrous. These coordinators move all the time.

I am not sure how he is looking at it, from my perspective it ups the chances of a head coaching change. The team has had 3 losing seasons under the current coach and has real QB concerns add in several rookie OL (which will make mistakes) and you have to worry that the team will be .500 next year. If a move happened it would be likely that the owner would want to make a splash with a new big name head coach. Depending on what they have been hearing that means you are going to get 1 year, under possibly subpar circumstances, then be looking for work again....

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Unless Kroenke was lying about following the Patriot and Steelers model, Fisher will be the coach for longer than his current contract. I dont think Kroenke will hold him responsible for Bradford's injury either.

I do think most assistants will see the Rams as a team on the rise presenting them with a chance to succeed.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
Unless Kroenke was lying about following the Patriot and Steelers model, Fisher will be the coach for longer than his current contract. I dont think Kroenke will hold him responsible for Bradford's injury either.
I do think most assistants will see the Rams as a team on the rise presenting them with a chance to succeed.
So you belive Fish keeps his job if the team is 8-8 or worse next year? 4 years without a winning season and no playoffs and no change? I agree he got a mulligan for Bradford, but I think that was this year.
Not sure what you think the Steelers and Pats model is - but neither was really tested by consistant losing and no playoff appearances. Cower missed the playoffs 3 years in a row at one point, but only had 2 losing seasons during that time and had made the playoffs the previous 6 years. Tomlin has never had a losing season and never missed the playoffs for more than 2 years in a row.
The Pats have had Billicheat since 2000, and only had 1 losing season during that time...prior to that Carroll lasted 3 years, left after a 8-8 year and making the playoffs the 2 of 3 years. prior to that was Parcells who was there 4 years, had 2 losing seasons and 2 years in the playoffs (including a superbowl appearance) and left after a disagreement with the owner.
Not sure what there model is other than if you are doing well don't make a change....

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
So you belive Fish keeps his job if the team is 8-8 or worse next year? 4 years without a winning season and no playoffs and no change? I agree he got a mulligan for Bradford, but I think that was this year.
Not sure what you think the Steelers and Pats model is - but neither was really tested by consistant losing and no playoff appearances. Cower missed the playoffs 3 years in a row at one point, but only had 2 losing seasons during that time and had made the playoffs the previous 6 years. Tomlin has never had a losing season and never missed the playoffs for more than 2 years in a row.
The Pats have had Billicheat since 2000, and only had 1 losing season during that time...prior to that Carroll lasted 3 years, left after a 8-8 year and making the playoffs the 2 of 3 years. prior to that was Parcells who was there 4 years, had 2 losing seasons and 2 years in the playoffs (including a superbowl appearance) and left after a disagreement with the owner.
Not sure what there model is other than if you are doing well don't make a change....

Neither the Patriots or Steelers started out with a roster that needed to be completely rebuilt. In three years how many starters are still on the Rams roster? Bradford and Saffold on O and Quinn, Long and Laurinitis on D. That is an enormous amount of turnover.

What do I think the Patriots/Steelers model is? Stability. I think it is the same thing the Bengals have been trying to do with Marvin Lewis.

What is the main difference between successful teams and unsuccessful teams? A good QB, who is healthy. Pete Carroll was a middling coach before Russel Wilson. Bellicheck was average before Tom Brady. Marvin Lewis has a good team but not a good Qb. An intelligent owner realizes this. If the rest of the team around the QB is improving but the team just does not have a top QB how do you blame it on the coach? The Rams are still improving. The D has improved, the run game improved despite a bad OLine, the receiving corps has improved. The few times the Rams had good QB play this year the offense actually looked good, despite the bad Oline. Fix the line and some of those games are different. They got through some growing pains with a new DC but that seems to be behind them.

I just don't see how the Rams start out under Kroenke saying that he wants a stable franchise using a successful model and then after 4 years he is ready to ditch the entire plan. Who is he? Daniel Snyder? I think he trusts Fisher and is more concerned with the stadium issues. He isn't swooping in to give Fisher the hook because he is a businessman that knows that things take time to unfold. Penalties came down, the D started to play like a top ten D, receivers improved as scheduled, the RB position is strong. The Rams don't have a roster shot full of holes. I just think Fans are more impatient than the owner in this case.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Well the Jets now have Chan Gailey calling plays. Not that they were exactly a desirable landing spot, but that leaves the 49ers and Falcons as probably the two best landing spots for an OC, followed by the Bears then Rams and then Jags/Raiders/Browns.

Rams could possibly be viewed as more favorably than the Bears gig, but a lot of that will depend o the HC and the impending situation with Cutler.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Neither the Patriots or Steelers started out with a roster that needed to be completely rebuilt. In three years how many starters are still on the Rams roster? Bradford and Saffold on O and Quinn, Long and Laurinitis on D. That is an enormous amount of turnover.

What do I think the Patriots/Steelers model is? Stability. I think it is the same thing the Bengals have been trying to do with Marvin Lewis.

What is the main difference between successful teams and unsuccessful teams? A good QB, who is healthy. Pete Carroll was a middling coach before Russel Wilson. Bellicheck was average before Tom Brady. Marvin Lewis has a good team but not a good Qb. An intelligent owner realizes this. If the rest of the team around the QB is improving but the team just does not have a top QB how do you blame it on the coach? The Rams are still improving. The D has improved, the run game improved despite a bad OLine, the receiving corps has improved. The few times the Rams had good QB play this year the offense actually looked good, despite the bad Oline. Fix the line and some of those games are different. They got through some growing pains with a new DC but that seems to be behind them.

I just don't see how the Rams start out under Kroenke saying that he wants a stable franchise using a successful model and then after 4 years he is ready to ditch the entire plan. Who is he? Daniel Snyder? I think he trusts Fisher and is more concerned with the stadium issues. He isn't swooping in to give Fisher the hook because he is a businessman that knows that things take time to unfold. Penalties came down, the D started to play like a top ten D, receivers improved as scheduled, the RB position is strong. The Rams don't have a roster shot full of holes. I just think Fans are more impatient than the owner in this case.
Finally someone who gets it

Everyone wants to fire Fisher and say he sucks. Yet refuse to look at roster turnover and QB injury.

Show me any coach that has held a very young fully turned over roster with a 3rd string QB together better then Fisher then we can talk

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
One thing that occurs to me with that turn of phrase... there were certain Rams fans who said much the same about Martz as coach... and then we got Linehan.
There is a LOT of truth to that. You have to be careful what you wish for. Owners will sometimes replace coaches to placate the fans over and again. They are the favorite fall guy of the NFL.